Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

No, because the daily planet was always at loggerheads with evil genius Lex Luthor

Superman's greatest enemy has zero superpowers but all the power of science and capitalism behind him

Anyway, can somebody explain this to me, the part at the bottom? It represents the views of the editors and publishers, unlike everything else?

as I understand it, it means either

a) the entire newsroom unanimously agrees on a story
b) the chief editor really liked a take, so much that he wanted to brand it the official opinion of the paper, and dissenters' opinions don't matter
c) the chief editor really wanted that particular story written, but it's such a shameful story that no one in the newsroom wanted their name attached to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Main Paineframe posted:

as I understand it, it means either

a) the entire newsroom unanimously agrees on a story
b) the chief editor really liked a take, so much that he wanted to brand it the official opinion of the paper, and dissenters' opinions don't matter
c) the chief editor really wanted that particular story written, but it's such a shameful story that no one in the newsroom wanted their name attached to it

that's not how it works at all.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

you heard it here folks

https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1026648791217303553?s=21

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hope she gets eaten by a drop-bear.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Main Paineframe posted:

huh, I've never heard of quilette

let's see what wikipedia says

lol, for anyone else who hasnt run into quillette, it's basically bizzaro medium.com for libertarians and "free thinkers"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lmao

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

so it turns out that sarah jeong may in fact be an enormous piece of poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

did you read past the headline?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Main Paineframe posted:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1026830380622602243

imagining lowtax as a flashpoint of media criticism and a free speech martyr

:bisonyes:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

did you?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

extremely lovely of vice to get her patreon shut down

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

what the hell does this mean?

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I guess add 'opposes doxing of journalists' to the list of reasons why Sarah Jeong is bad, along with 'was mean to a dude who went on Chapo' and 'said white people smell'. If you guys are looking for more bullshit reasons there is a recently restored subreddit you can check out.

also

quote:

Sarah did not come to listen, mediate, or learn- she was sent by Jason Koebler to destroy me
lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
welcome to c-spam sarah

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1026843646711222273

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1026843687752544256

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

quote:

Trump used to call Ryan “Boy Scout.” “I thought it was a compliment,” said Ryan, a former altar boy and habitual people-pleaser. But after the Republican-controlled Congress passed a few bills Trump announced to Ryan that he would stop using the nickname. “So I guess he meant it as an insult all along,” the speaker said. “I didn’t realize.” Ryan shrugged.
Amazing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the Islamophobic guardian. the until very recently foreign secretary just said a bunch of offensive things that his party chairman have told him to apologise for so what will we make the headline?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

no im quite ready for my taxes to go up slightly so my hundreds of dollars a month in premiums and copays can go away

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jose posted:

vice and being lovely

name a more iconic duo

lmao he's such a loving loser

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

no im quite ready for my taxes to go up slightly so my hundreds of dollars a month in premiums and copays can go away

But are you ready for your taxes to go up a lot and for your premiums and copays to also go up a lot so that rich people don't have to pay any taxes at all and in fact get a cut of the taxes you pay?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
antifa and the III%'ers lock the doors to the VICE office and burn it to the ground, join hands around the blaze, and from nowhere anyone can discern Get Dancin' by Disco Tex and the Sex-o-Lettes starts playing and doesn't stop for one thousand years of harmony.

*sigh*

It's fun to dream.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
vice bad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/981558161566920704

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

i'm beginning to think the kind of person who can thrive in NYC is the kind of person the rest of america would be utterly comfortable extraordinarily renditioning to the 4th most popular syrian prison on Yelp

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

what the hell does this mean?

apparently, Sarah Jeong's entire list of sins consists entirely of writing this twitter thread...

https://mobile.twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/981942591162728449

...which apparently means that Sarah Jeong is a Harvard-trained verbal assassin, personally ordered out by the elite journalistic hitmen to crush her like a bug

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I know next to nothing about her and guess what folks

I’m not gonna learn anything about her either

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah i don't really care any more

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
its a bigly rough chuckle for someone of jeong's twitter oeuvre to be like "an email is not a contract, sucks for your entire life's work, peace love and chicken grease" and farting off into an NYT column

The Only Moral Brigading Is My Brigading

gently caress it, though. the more people quintessentially american discourse crushes, the greater the catharsis when the chickens come home to roost.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but the chinese lady that hates her has enormous fake boobs can't you care a little

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
oh those takes so scandalous
and you know white folks can't handle it
so you makin them mad at sullydish
white genocide jokes so devilish

let me see that jeong
jeong jeong jeong jeong jeong

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

GalacticAcid posted:

I know next to nothing about her and guess what folks

I’m not gonna learn anything about her either

Yeah, it sounds like Wu got burned because she didnt understand how "lovely" vice was compared to a previous interaction by the WSJ. Her best bet was to lawyer up but she couldnt for some reason and the free legal advice given stated that the email exchange was not a binding contract. I'm not sure how courts are handled in China but I'm sure it was not in her favor and she couldnt get anywhere in a US court without a lawyer. So the situation is a little desperate and she tried to dox the vice reporter that burned her and somehow sarah jeong is an attack dog something something. This leads to retaliation by vice and she's put in a more lovely situation. I feel like there's some stuff missing without evidence but that's the whole point of lawyer up and to be revealed by discovery or something.

tldr: she got put in a bad situation and with no good options and somehow jeong is a lovely person idk

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Sarah Jeong, like everyone who was voluntarily involved in gamergate, is a mercenary careerist at best, and the irony of saying "well, we never explicitly agreed not to wildly speculate about the sexual habits of an independent woman in tech despite negative consequences she may face" should be palpable to anyone.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

the enormous petty cruelty of this is just further confirmation that she does, in fact, belong on this website

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

she probably runs the cspam twitter account

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CheeseSpawn posted:

Yeah, it sounds like Wu got burned because she didnt understand how "lovely" vice was compared to a previous interaction by the WSJ. Her best bet was to lawyer up but she couldnt for some reason and the free legal advice given stated that the email exchange was not a binding contract. I'm not sure how courts are handled in China but I'm sure it was not in her favor and she couldnt get anywhere in a US court without a lawyer. So the situation is a little desperate and she tried to dox the vice reporter that burned her and somehow sarah jeong is an attack dog something something. This leads to retaliation by vice and she's put in a more lovely situation. I feel like there's some stuff missing without evidence but that's the whole point of lawyer up and to be revealed by discovery or something.

tldr: she got put in a bad situation and with no good options and somehow jeong is a lovely person idk

the followup email is what she's been losing her mind about enough to coordinate harassment, which is what got her kicked off of patreon

it's legit nuts

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/981560834735325184

and her rebuttal doesn't even try to claim otherwise

quote:

I created a pair of boots with tiny video displays in the sides, the video they play is of me making the boots. And, for a few seconds they flash the address I found for Jason Koebler. In the final video less than 5 seconds. Just showing a little bit. So they will please stop. So they will please listen to me. So they will please ask someone what will happen to me if they are careless.

I emailed the video to Jason (but did not post it) asking him to reply to emails, let me explain the risk. Nothing. He and other Vice employees are always so arrogant, so typical to think he is better than anyone else and can do anything he wants just because someone does not have that magic blue passport that makes him feel so special everywhere in the world Vice goes to damage local lives for a stupid story.

But…I got a little worried. All the Internet info says he lives alone. I’m not posting anything new that anyone who wished him ill does not already know- but would not want to concern a parent. What if he has a relative living in his home? Like all Chinese I love children very much, since we have had so few under the one-child system. I am already twenty-four and I have no baby. So of course I asked- politely to make sure, since this is serious.

Then I posted the video. Of course, no one but Jason even notices the address in the video because it is so fast and so tiny. Vice has expensive lawyers and they convince YouTube to take the video down which was reasonable, and Patreon to terminate my account.

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Aug 7, 2018

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i was mostly with the tech lady until she decided to build a pair of technoboots playing a dox video about a journalism guy, that's nutcase stuff. oh and then like 5 paragraphs about how sarah jeong has been trained in the harvard school of posting assassination or whatever

lol at jeong being like "it's ok because the article was written by a WoC" gently caress off. I hate all of these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the harvard school of posting assassination or whatever

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > LF: the harvard school of posting assassination or whatever