Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Or how like every third episode is a SPECIAL EPISODE!! including some random filler poo poo where the B plot is Chakotay mastering the intricacies of making a milkshake with help from spirit guides

e: bad snipe so; I watched “Masks” for the first time in a long while last night and I actually think that episode’s reputation for incoherence is completely undeserved. For a collision of stock Trek plots (“[crew member] is all hosed up and weird this week!” + “an inscrutable alien probe is messing with us”) this is a really nice show. The idea of the ship being transfigured into a mythic landscape is a rich premise that the show almost doesn’t have enough time to confront. I can’t believe they thought this idea was worth one episode while “Gambit” or “Descent” was worth two. In the end once the characters figure out what’s going on the plot just kind of evaporates spontaneously. Like “Genesis” (and many many Voyager episodes) it’s kind of spoiled by this lame reset button ending. But while it’s going on it’s quite awesome, with the ship configuring itself into a moodily lit Hidden Temple looking thing, snakes on a photon torpedo, and Spiner playing a whole bunch of roles. I enjoy him best at the start when he is steadily losing his mind to the archive’s signal — he does a good job selling Data’s confusion and distress without going over the top — and as the imperious solar goddess Masaka. It’s flawed no doubt, but not hard to understand at all. I think somewhere between this and Dramatis Personae was an absolute 10/10 episode that never got out.

skasion fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I like it, just because I like any episode with Picard geeking out over archeology, and the alien myths feel enough like a real mythology that it doesn't seem like it's just random stuff happening arbitrarily.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My all-time favorite misleading promo was for Enterprise's "Cogenitor". They extracted the handful of jokey bits about humans not understanding the culture/sexual practices of the 3-gender species, and made it look like a drat Rob Schneider movie.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 7, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sir Lemming posted:

My all-time favorite misleading promo was for Enterprise's "Cogenitor". They extracted the handful of jokey bits about humans not understanding the culture/sexual practices of the 3-gender species, and made it look like a drat Rob Schneider movie.

Oh man I'd love to see this promo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Or how like every third episode is a SPECIAL EPISODE!! including some random filler poo poo where the B plot is Chakotay mastering the intricacies of making a milkshake with help from spirit guides

e: bad snipe so; I watched “Masks” for the first time in a long while last night and I actually think that episode’s reputation for incoherence is completely undeserved. For a collision of stock Trek plots (“[crew member] is all hosed up and weird this week!” + “an inscrutable alien probe is messing with us”) this is a really nice show. The idea of the ship being transfigured into a mythic landscape is a rich premise that the show almost doesn’t have enough time to confront. I can’t believe they thought this idea was worth one episode while “Gambit” or “Descent” was worth two. In the end once the characters figure out what’s going on the plot just kind of evaporates spontaneously. Like “Genesis” (and many many Voyager episodes) it’s kind of spoiled by this lame reset button ending. But while it’s going on it’s quite awesome, with the ship configuring itself into a moodily lit Hidden Temple looking thing, snakes on a photon torpedo, and Spiner playing a whole bunch of roles. I enjoy him best at the start when he is steadily losing his mind to the archive’s signal — he does a good job selling Data’s confusion and distress without going over the top — and as the imperious solar goddess Masaka. It’s flawed no doubt, but not hard to understand at all. I think somewhere between this and Dramatis Personae was an absolute 10/10 episode that never got out.

I adore Masks - it’s legitimately top 10-15ish TNG for me. I think what’s really holding it back is some budget constraints and the hilariously quick wrap-up at the end because they hit the 45 minute mark and needed the episode to end.

Give that show a bit more money and make it a two-parter, and you have yourself some great high concept, borderline insane science fiction.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh man I'd love to see this promo.

Found it :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNYOdu59gew

ROB SCHNEIDER IS... ...EMBROILED IN A LIFE-OR-DEATH ETHICAL DILEMMA ABOUT HOW OUR NOTIONS OF HUMAN RIGHTS APPLY WHEN MEETING AN ALIEN SPECIES FOR THE FIRST TIME

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

ROB SCHNEIDER IS... ...EMBROILED IN A LIFE-OR-DEATH ETHICAL DILEMMA ABOUT HOW OUR NOTIONS OF HUMAN RIGHTS APPLY WHEN MEETING AN ALIEN SPECIES FOR THE FIRST TIME

I cannot read anything starting with "Rob Schneider is" without hearing it South Park-style in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxYA6duF-9E

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

I adore Masks - it’s legitimately top 10-15ish TNG for me. I think what’s really holding it back is some budget constraints and the hilariously quick wrap-up at the end because they hit the 45 minute mark and needed the episode to end.

Give that show a bit more money and make it a two-parter, and you have yourself some great high concept, borderline insane science fiction.

Yeah I don’t know about top 10. it kind of bothers me that Picard solves everything by going “idk I’ll wing it and hope we don’t all die, I guess”. A number of elements in this episode seem to be leaning towards some kind of “intuition > objectivity” theme that the show never really capitalized on. But I’ve read people who rate this as one of the worst or even the worst episode of TNG and that’s bugfuck insane to me.

I was definitely thinking that with modern virtual sets they could have gone absolutely apeshit on the transformation. They make do pretty well though.

e: I guess what really bugs me about the extremely abrupt ending is that it makes the episode flop thematically. What, this was all part of Data’s quest to become more human? Really? Data didn’t do this intentionally, the dude was a passive receptacle for the archive’s contents. The people of the archive aren’t human and probably weren’t even “real” people in any sense. To top it all off, Data already has a whole bunch of people inside him because Soong fed him all the Omicron Theta colonists’ personal data, as per “Silicon Avatar”. To me, this story as written has nothing to do with Data’s character. It should be all about Picard investigating the myth that the story is about. Why did these people fear and hate their sun-god so much that they made a gigantic spacefaring library whose sole purpose is to reveal that fear and hate to others? “Sun out of control” and “sun and moon are a couple pursuing each other” are bona fide mythic themes, but the show just uses them without commenting on why they were used or what it means to the characters that they are used.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 7, 2018

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

I loving lost it at a whole new meaning to close encounter of the third kind.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gonz posted:

Fleet Admiral Picard but he’s evil now because almost all Admirals are evil and murderous.

He shoots Riker with a Colt 1911 in the knee.

Picard is an admiral but he's turned into Avery Bullock, Riker is his Stan Smith

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sir Lemming posted:

Hahah. Oh man, those old promos...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Riker got promoted to Admiral in the Titan book series recently. It was pretty sudden, but it was due to the Chief Admiral of Starfleet needing someone he knew he could trust close to him during a conspiracy involving a Bajoran becoming UFP President after his predecessor is assassinated.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

FlamingLiberal posted:

Riker got promoted to Admiral in the Titan book series recently. It was pretty sudden, but it was due to the Chief Admiral of Starfleet needing someone he knew he could trust close to him during a conspiracy involving a Bajoran becoming UFP President after his predecessor is assassinated.

I blame the parasites.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

With Voyager / Endgame, I just remember thinking it was such a hilarious cop-out that the big reveal was that the reason the Borg could get anywhere so quickly wasn't because they had transwarp drive, but they had a super-secret network of Space Tunnels.

Also how ridiculous it was that they had a tunnel right to the heart of the Federation and yet could never be bothered to swing a few cubes in.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also how ridiculous it was that they had a tunnel right to the heart of the Federation and yet could never be bothered to swing a few cubes in.

If I were Borg, I'd just send cubes along like it's a tower defense game, just forcing the Federation to constantly advance their tech and tactics, and then just flood em with cubes

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
A wheelchair-bound friend of mine posted this article on facebook, about how science-fiction spaces typically are not handicapped-accessible:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/staircases-in-space-why-are-places-in-science-fiction-1827966642?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=io9_facebook

It made me think of that DS9 episode where they make the station wheelchair-accessible for Melora. I guess they just ripped out all the ramps and stuff once she left the station? Really inconsiderate of any future disabled visitors.
At least the Enterprise-D was pretty accessible, unless the power went out and the only way between decks was ladders.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, there really aren't many non-contrived reasons to need a wheelchair in space.

The ability to lock poo poo off in case of a breach is far more important.

It's like asking why submarines aren't accessible with the added benefit of "we should be able to fix that poo poo by then"

Imagine being colorblind on the TOS enterprise. Good luck with the controls!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are a lot of other issues that also go along with that episode. For example, that the Federation makes a huge point about how eugenics was bad, and the eugenics war was bad, and genetic tinkering is bad, and yet it is made very clear that for example inheritable physical disabilities no longer exist. Yet, obviously there are species that have advantages and disadvantages with respect to others, and diversity like that is OK, but not within a species apparently. So, for example, you could be a frail alien, and that is fine, but if real human will be adjusted or forbidden from existing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mountaineer posted:

A wheelchair-bound friend of mine posted this article on facebook, about how science-fiction spaces typically are not handicapped-accessible:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/staircases-in-space-why-are-places-in-science-fiction-1827966642?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=io9_facebook

It made me think of that DS9 episode where they make the station wheelchair-accessible for Melora. I guess they just ripped out all the ramps and stuff once she left the station? Really inconsiderate of any future disabled visitors.
At least the Enterprise-D was pretty accessible, unless the power went out and the only way between decks was ladders.

Anti-gravity chair. Bam, done.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think for Melora and maybe other people confined to a chair(I don't personally know any) it was important for her to be responsible for her own locomotion, so using a gravity chair she controls with a joystick would feel unacceptable compared to manually piloting a chair with wheels, so long as she had the ability to do so

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

There are a lot of other issues that also go along with that episode. For example, that the Federation makes a huge point about how eugenics was bad, and the eugenics war was bad, and genetic tinkering is bad, and yet it is made very clear that for example inheritable physical disabilities no longer exist. Yet, obviously there are species that have advantages and disadvantages with respect to others, and diversity like that is OK, but not within a species apparently. So, for example, you could be a frail alien, and that is fine, but if real human will be adjusted or forbidden from existing.

I mean, just corrective prosthetics like Geordi's or maybe a goddamn HOVERCHAIR will be possible in the 24th freaking century

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I think for Melora and maybe other people confined to a chair(I don't personally know any) it was important for her to be responsible for her own locomotion, so using a gravity chair she controls with a joystick would feel unacceptable compared to manually piloting a chair with wheels, so long as she had the ability to do so

This is perfectly reasonable, but maybe not in every single imaginable place.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only good thing about that episode is high quantities of the Klingon chef

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah they say Melora was only in the terrible chair because Cardassian gravity tech sucks and breaks Federation antigrav.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

And they were originally going to have her in a hover chair but the effects cost too much or something so they just got a regular wheelchair instead.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cythereal posted:

Anti-gravity chair. Bam, done.

A normal chair, and liberal use of the transporter.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Didn't that one admiral/diplomat in TNG have a hover chair?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McTimmy posted:

Didn't that one admiral/diplomat in TNG have a hover chair?

The admiral's "hover chair" in Too Short A Season was such a fiasco that I think someone got fired over it, and in any case it became a recurring gag/grimace in the props department; whenever a script called for a potentially complex prop, someone would ask "this isn't going to be another chair, is it?"

If I remember right they managed to blow over $10,000 (in 1988 dollars, remember) on that drat thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Easy answer, make your person in the hovering chair so alien that CGI/puppets work for them. See Rigel in Farscape.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I just wanted to say I love how much this ends up looking like a TNG post-credits opening.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bull3964 posted:

Easy answer, make your person in the hovering chair so alien that CGI/puppets work for them. See Rigel in Farscape.

A puppet would've been more convincing than that guy in old man makeup doing whatever he was trying to do, honestly

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

After The War posted:

I just wanted to say I love how much this ends up looking like a TNG post-credits opening.

Thursday, 8:00-9:00: Star Trek: TNG "Astroman Posted"
Jeb! Repetition is trapped in a time loop and must craft the perfect shitpost in order to break free. The Bloop learns an important lesson about page snypes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well i was posting in the DISCO thread and then

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 7, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The admiral's "hover chair" in Too Short A Season was such a fiasco that I think someone got fired over it, and in any case it became a recurring gag/grimace in the props department; whenever a script called for a potentially complex prop, someone would ask "this isn't going to be another chair, is it?"

If I remember right they managed to blow over $10,000 (in 1988 dollars, remember) on that drat thing.
The Admiral’s old man makeup was somehow worse

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My favorite bad makeup is Siddigs gray hair in the stupid mind attack episode

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently they're giving the Klingons their hair back for Disco season 2, which should help hide a lot of the more extreme changes.

Everything I've seen about Discovery season 2 can be summarized as "fans hated this so we're changing it"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pick posted:

My favorite bad makeup is Siddigs gray hair in the stupid mind attack episode
That was not good but the Admiral’s makeup in ‘Too Short a Season’ (pretty sure that was the episode name) is legendarily bad. It’s made even worse by HD.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FuturePastNow posted:

Everything I've seen about Discovery season 2 can be summarized as "fans hated this so we're changing it"

If only that had happened after Enterprise S1 instead of until S4.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

"We were always planning it this way. We didn't change anything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

I almost feel bad for laughing at this poo poo because they really are caught between a rock and a hard place. On one hand if they did nothing and keep on as they have been, the show would continue to be almost a parody (and there's still no guarantee they've moved beyond this, what with all the production shenanigans)

on the other hand all this backtracking and "oh no really we'll make it like the Star Trek you know and love for realsies this time" feels even more desperate and pathetic than ENT's attempts to boost ratings from back in the day