Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
'Doom Eternal' is a play on the phrase 'hell eternal' and that'd better be the end of its relevance to the game or I'm gonna be a slightly disappointed and then buy it because it will still be really good no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm lookin' for shooters that deal with supernatural elements. Stuff like Undying (I love it) and Painkiller (it's okay) that's flown under the radar. I was just playing Hunter: The Reckoning and was thinking how much I'd love an FPS in a similar setting. Lemme waltz through dingy rear end subways mowing down monsters with an SMG.
Necrovision! Supernatural WW1 that really goes off the rails as the story progresses. It's mostly OK, so long as you can handle that most Eastern of Europes.

E: Just thought of another one. You might want to check out Cryostasis, though I've heard it's a bitch to run on modern hardware?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 7, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Cryostasis is a pain to run on any hardware, really. It's playable for me on Win 10 with a 970 but still impossible to get a consistent frame rate as all the physics effects are ridiculously unoptinised.

Bigger problem is getting hold of a copy these days as it was delisted from Steam years back.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

or, get this, maybe they just didn't want to do 'doom 2' again

Then why would they make a sequel to a reboot of Doom lmfao

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

Then why would they make a sequel to a reboot of Doom lmfao

Because Doom 2016 is Doom 4 as it continues the "plot" of Doom, Doom 2: Hell on Earth and Doom 64. :colbert:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turin Turambar posted:

I have the feeling the Eternal label indicates some kind of roguelite/rpg elements. I wouldn't be surprised if you can level up your character and there is big rpg skill tree while playing sp/coop.

Doom 2016 already has leveling up your character and a skill tree.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Max Wilco posted:

Technically, you could play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and go with a firearm build, but the combat in VtMB isn't that great, and melee is sometimes more effective.

Its a great game but its an RPG, not really an FPS. Yes, there are guns, but like you said, they're not great and melee is often better anyways. Or magic.

Its more of a puzzle / adventure game with RPG stats than a shooter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

I have the feeling the Eternal label indicates some kind of roguelite/rpg elements. I wouldn't be surprised if you can level up your character and there is big rpg skill tree while playing sp/coop.

Johnny Joestar posted:

or, get this, maybe they just didn't want to do 'doom 2' again

Its 100% this. Marketing teams have decided that numbers are uncool and seeing a number on something would :ohdear: terrify audiences who haven't played the past games. (even though time and again that's not true)

So we end up with a bunch of Game: Subtitle instead. Ugh.

Although at least a subtitle is better than just looping back to calling your game the same thing the first in the series. gently caress I hate that. Now its hard to google for Doom 1/2 versus Doom 4 stuff, you get both.

I'm gonna call it Doom 5 goddamnit

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new doom being called DOOM has caused the original game to retroactively become known as DooM again which is pretty great imo, but goddamn I wish the new one had a subtitle to make it easier to look up stuff about.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
doom: the one on mars, no the other one, no the first one was on the moons goddamn it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Arivia posted:

doom: the one on mars, no the other one, no the first one was on the moons goddamn it

:hmmyes:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

Did you play FEAR yet?

Oh yes, I love FEAR 1 and 2. I didn't play the expansion packs for 1 but I hear they're iffy on quality and don't really run well on modern systems. 2 is a lot of fun but I always felt like there was something missing that 1 had? Also I hate the ending. Maybe that's the point, but it makes the journey I just went on feel completely pointless and it also sets of FEAR 3 which sucks rear end.

chaosapiant posted:

It's third person...and maybe not a shooter..but I loved the original Shadowman game on N64.

Hrmrmrm I never played this. I'll check it out. I kind of want to compile a list of all the 90's and early 2000's games with black protagonists.

Mordja posted:

Necrovision! Supernatural WW1 that really goes off the rails as the story progresses. It's mostly OK, so long as you can handle that most Eastern of Europes.

E: Just thought of another one. You might want to check out Cryostasis, though I've heard it's a bitch to run on modern hardware?

I didn't like Necrovision :( Cool ideas, mrrrrph execution. Cryostasis was neat though.

CJacobs posted:

The new doom being called DOOM has caused the original game to retroactively become known as DooM again which is pretty great imo, but goddamn I wish the new one had a subtitle to make it easier to look up stuff about.

Man at least they avoided some obnoxious, overused subtitle and didn't call it Doom: Requiem or Origin or Revelation or some stupid rear end poo poo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The first Doom is the Ultimate Doom, whereas the ultimate Doom is not the first Doom. Simple, really.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today I got to enjoy the wonders of buying quake, installing quake, modding quake so it has music and modern conveniences, and then double and triple checking that I installed the music correctly because it's not at all what I expected after Doom. I like it!

As for the gameplay, yesss it's as fun as Doom is. I'm not completely a fan of actual 3D gameplay/movement (I suck at aiming) but the level by level design, the nailgun... it's good stuff. I do wish the shotgun actually felt good, though, it is surprisingly anemic.

On that note: should I also grab the bonus mission packs for Quake, and/or Quake 2 and its mission packs? What's the general take on 'em?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

StrixNebulosa posted:

I do wish the shotgun actually felt good, though, it is surprisingly anemic.

think of the shotgun as a pistol (with spread)... the ssg is the real shotgun.

StrixNebulosa posted:

On that note: should I also grab the bonus mission packs for Quake, and/or Quake 2 and its mission packs? What's the general take on 'em?

scourge of armagon is pretty good, dissolution of eternity isn't that popular but i kind of dug it back in the day.
quake 2's fun but after finishing the campaign you probably wont be hungry for more.

if you're aching for more singleplayer i'd look into quakeinjector or the quake sp starter kit that gets posted a lot itt. there's a poo poo ton of great maps out there. not as many as doom obviously but enough to keep you busy for a while.

if you're looking to experience multiplayer without getting absolutely destroyed by pros who've been playing for 20 years straight i'd suggest frikbot for quake and "3rd zigrock 2" bots for quake2, they're surprisingly human-like.

HolyKrap posted:

I have a 770 and the only thing I'm worried about is the harddrive space for all those megatextures

worry about your vram :/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jose Mengelez posted:

think of the shotgun as a pistol (with spread)... the ssg is the real shotgun.

scourge of armagon is pretty good, dissolution of eternity isn't that popular but i kind of dug it back in the day.
quake 2's fun but after finishing the campaign you probably wont be hungry for more.

if you're aching for more singleplayer i'd look into quakeinjector or the quake sp starter kit that gets posted a lot itt. there's a poo poo ton of great maps out there. not as many as doom obviously but enough to keep you busy for a while.

if you're looking to experience multiplayer without getting absolutely destroyed by pros who've been playing for 20 years straight i'd suggest frikbot for quake and "3rd zigrock 2" bots for quake2, they're surprisingly human-like.

Perfect, thanks! I'm looking for single-player stuff, so both Quake map-packs and Quake 2 sound good....and huh. I might just look at frikbot, see what it's like to play a multiplayer FPS for the first time. Maybe.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the quake shotgun is pretty much the pistol equivalent of the game, you're not supposed to be treating it like most games treat shotguns

which has more to say about how games have certain trends in how they codify particular 'tools' than anything, but yeah. the double barreled shotgun is the 'real' shotgun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

the quake shotgun is pretty much the pistol equivalent of the game, you're not supposed to be treating it like most games treat shotguns

which has more to say about how games have certain trends in how they codify particular 'tools' than anything, but yeah. the double barreled shotgun is the 'real' shotgun.

I have the single-barreled shotgun and the double-barreled and neither one feels actually good. :( The nailgun is the one gun so far that feels actually good to shoot.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Jose Mengelez posted:

worry about your vram :/

4GB GDDR5. My steam drive's definitely gonna drop into the red with Doom Eternal though

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have the single-barreled shotgun and the double-barreled and neither one feels actually good. :( The nailgun is the one gun so far that feels actually good to shoot.

weird, i actually think the double-barrel feels alright. the grenade launcher is one of my favorite weapons from it, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

Cat Mattress posted:

The first Doom is the Ultimate Doom, whereas the ultimate Doom is not the first Doom. Simple, really.

Ahahahahaha

I love you guys

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
One of several things I like about the Arcane Dimensions mod is the changes to the sounds and projectiles of the shotguns (and the triple-barrel upgrade for the supershotty). Boomsticks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

After the Doom 2 SSG nothing else comes close. Your expectations are now too high :(

Johnny Joestar posted:

weird, i actually think the double-barrel feels alright. the grenade launcher is one of my favorite weapons from it, though.

It is alright, its just not doom 2 levels of "best gun in any FPS ever made ever ever ever"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What difficulty are you playing on? On hard or nightmare the SSG just isn’t really good enough to ever justify using. The game is really all about the SNG, grenades, rocket and lightning gun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Single-barrel is your pistol. I definitely find the double-barrel to be effective, but it does not have the same satisfaction of the Doom 2 SSG. But using the double-barrel with Quad Damage feels goddamn amazing, so there is that. It's the "GRRRUM" that helps. However, I at least found that you very quickly end up with loads of explosive ammo, so in some ways Quake is not too dissimilar from Duke3D. You should be using the rocket launcher a lot.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm lookin' for shooters that deal with supernatural elements. Stuff like Undying (I love it) and Painkiller (it's okay) that's flown under the radar. I was just playing Hunter: The Reckoning and was thinking how much I'd love an FPS in a similar setting. Lemme waltz through dingy rear end subways mowing down monsters with an SMG.

Afraid of Monsters is a half-life mod that is definitely more survival horror at the start, but later down the line it gives you so much ammo that it turns into more of an action-horror game than a legit survival horror game if that makes sense. Ditto with Cry of Fear.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has tons of tons of opportunities where it's you, alone, with an AK, in a dark underground area, surrounded by either other bat-poo poo STALKERS or hideous mutants that all want your blood. It also has the best atmosphere in any FPS ever made and I will literally fist-fight someone if they disagree.

I shouldn't have to mention Blood, because it's a game that's universally known in this thread, but Blood.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

STALKER is so great and underappreciated because its marketing was bad and mostly non existent.

Everybody go play STALKER

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Is STALKER old enough to be considered an early FPS? It has certainly stood the test of time, so far.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

STALKER is so great and underappreciated
It received great reviews and sold millions of copies to the point where it was a financial success even after spending over half a decade in development hell. What are you on about?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

It received great reviews and sold millions of copies to the point where it was a financial success even after spending over half a decade in development hell. What are you on about?

What I said, its underappreciated. I didn't say it didn't sell or it got bad reviews. But people seem to forget about it, lots of people who are big FPS gamers seem to never have played it, and its so good.

Maybe just my experience but you hear people talk about say, Deus Ex all the time (and I loving love Deus Ex) but you only hear about STALKER once in a blue moon.

It was also super buggy at release and had a long-tail of sales, I don't think it did super great at first.

But there are a bunch of indie wannabe-stalkers out there so it definitely does have a wide appeal. Its also pretty international I think? IDK I just don't hear it talked about all that often.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh yes, I love FEAR 1 and 2. I didn't play the expansion packs for 1 but I hear they're iffy on quality and don't really run well on modern systems. 2 is a lot of fun but I always felt like there was something missing that 1 had? Also I hate the ending. Maybe that's the point, but it makes the journey I just went on feel completely pointless and it also sets of FEAR 3 which sucks rear end.

i enjoyed the FEAR 1 expansions. the 2nd? 3rd one? i think it was Perseus Mandate. i really dug that one. you just play as a random dude killing ghosts and it was great

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FEAR 3 is loving great and I will always defend it. FEAR 3 is a more arcadey old school shooter than 1 or 2. It even gives you a par time for the levels.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

FEAR 3 is loving great and I will always defend it. FEAR 3 is a more arcadey old school shooter than 1 or 2. It even gives you a par time for the levels.

I can't remember but what were the main complaints about FEAR 3 (F3AR)? That the story goes off the rails?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StrixNebulosa posted:

when youre finished the quake vanilla stuff, check out the Arcane Dimensions mod that keeps getting brought up in the thread. it is loving top notch. also it has a triple barrelled shotgun that feels amazing to shoot

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I can't remember but what were the main complaints about FEAR 3 (F3AR)? That the story goes off the rails?

It's got regenerating health because it came out at the period of time where games were at the peak of ditching health kits and putting regen in, and other such complaints about the changes in gameplay from the previous games. FEAR 3's gameplay suffers a lot of the casualties of being developed at the height of the Console Shooter TM generation. You are a lot more squishy, or so claim people who have memory holed the enemy damage in FEAR 1, but the intent is to push you to fuckin get out there and kill the enemies with your kung fu and slow motion instead of waiting for the enemy to toss grenades and kill you from behind cover. The story is also good but very silly as is FEAR tradition.

edit: One complaint that I feel is legitimate is that your bullet time and max health aren't increased by finding collectibles and exploring this time around, but leveling up your profile by gaining points from the arcade-style scoring system present. The problem is that you don't gain these upgrades all in a row, so you start off with only 25% of what will eventually be a full length bullet time meter and some pretty meager health which does make the game quite a bit harder at the start than the end. But the game encourages you to go back and replay levels to get a higher score and more challenges completed, and they're quite short and fast paced, so if you're playing the game like that and actually engaging with it then you'll level it up pretty fast.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 8, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
FEAR 3's story is going fine, going fine, and then it hits the end of Interval 7 and goes all to poo poo. Anyway, I do recommend the FEAR 1 expansions. Extraction Point is some solid fun, and I love Perseus Mandate.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Douk Douk posted:

Afraid of Monsters is a half-life mod that is definitely more survival horror at the start, but later down the line it gives you so much ammo that it turns into more of an action-horror game than a legit survival horror game if that makes sense. Ditto with Cry of Fear.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has tons of tons of opportunities where it's you, alone, with an AK, in a dark underground area, surrounded by either other bat-poo poo STALKERS or hideous mutants that all want your blood. It also has the best atmosphere in any FPS ever made and I will literally fist-fight someone if they disagree.

I shouldn't have to mention Blood, because it's a game that's universally known in this thread, but Blood.

I played AoM and CoF way back, but I can barely remember them. Think I'll fire those babies up. I love Blood but I think I got two levels into Blood 2 and never picked it up again.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The Darkness II !

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

c0burn posted:

The Darkness II !

I just recently played it and I loved it! Weapons felt good and the powers were neat. I didn't mind how linear it was but I wasn't fond of the annoying cockney goblin dude that you have to follow everywhere. Very strange hearing BJ Blazkowics with a goofy New York mobster accent....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
extremely not scary poo poo scares the piss out of me when its in videogames so STALKER is too spooky for me