Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Swartz posted:

Yeah, first SA article I've read in a while and yes, I will start reading the site a lot more often so you don't end up on some street corner, giving blowjobs for food.

I dunno, sounds like a solid business strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Internetjack posted:

dothisdothisdothis.

It can't hurt to ask. Tell him honestly that SA is probably not his demographic, but you support his right to have his writings published.

It'll provide some good comedy material for the forums, his followers will probably spend a couple months of server fees making accounts and getting banned, which provides even more laughs. We can take the influx of stupidity. It will be like a late-summer festival of idiocy. Its a win-win all around.

Either way, keep writing Lowtax. It was your front page articles that brought me to SA years ago, well before my reg date.

This sounds like when 4chan created /pol/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Chomp8645 posted:

I'd say that if a corporation not letting someone say something results in elected officials publicly endorsing/condemning the move then yes the government does care about it.

there is no one person that is the government

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Lowtax I read your lovely article and I gotta say, if you're so smart why aren't you rich.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Crimson Harvest posted:

Lowtax I read your lovely article and I gotta say, if you're so smart why aren't you rich.

u think intelligence = wealth

lmao

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

u think intelligence = wealth

lmao

are u smart. i have a rep for being a spaz

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orkin Mang posted:

are u smart. i have a rep for being a spaz

Ants are terrible unless you like the queen.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zeluth posted:

Ants are terrible unless you like the queen.

i wish i was smart enough to get what u mean by ants :/

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
wait if alex jonez is still alive, who is the conspiracy theorist who recently, on the advice of wood nymphs, died and went to the underworld to charm Hades with his songs of 9/11?

i know someone who did conspiracy poo poo just died, it was foretold, i didn't imagine this no matter how much insane poo poo ive imagined lately

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

It doesn't matter if you do or do not feed the trolls, as the internet has turned into a gigantic amplifier for the absolute most stupid and worthless idiocy to ever manifest itself. You can go onto social media and say the most dumb, evil poo poo possible, and you will get hundreds of people who sincerely support you and believe the exact same thing. We live in a culture where "intelligence" is solely associated with "self-righteous indignation," and those who scream the loudest get the most attention and followers.
:agreed:
For the past couple years, I've been missing the calm seclusion of dial-up modems and only having the internet "on" for shorter periods of the day, available from one physical location in the house. Social media and a phone in every pocket has allowed the worst parts of humanity and people's personalities and dumb brains to flood into the physical realm and disrupt things for all of us. There's been some good, but the bad is louder and more visible no matter how much you try to ignore it.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
If it ain't the Welsh Alex Jones, I don't care.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Julius CSAR posted:

Also Alex Jones doesn’t know the difference between Trent Reznor and Johnny Cash

https://twitter.com/realalexjones/status/277968076950077441?s=21

On the one hand, Trent said it wasn't his song anymore.

On the other hand both Trent Reznor and an undead Johnny Cash would kick Jones' doughy chili-filled rear end for using their names, or songs, in public.

Also, you should totally invite him into our lair, Mr. Lowtax. It can only have a positive outcome.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 8, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is the best alex jones video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Q72qYWxKQ

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Swartz posted:

Yeah, first SA article I've read in a while and yes, I will start reading the site a lot more often so you don't end up on some street corner, giving blowjobs for food.

that would be bad, yeah. if you make your hobby your job it sucks all the fun out of it

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
LMAO, this owns.

Lovely Primate
Jan 21, 2011

My only concern is that this will cause a drought in Alex Jones shitposts, such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqUk28OwHs

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Internetjack posted:

dothisdothisdothis.

It can't hurt to ask. Tell him honestly that SA is probably not his demographic, but you support his right to have his writings published.

It'll provide some good comedy material for the forums, his followers will probably spend a couple months of server fees making accounts and getting banned, which provides even more laughs. We can take the influx of stupidity. It will be like a late-summer festival of idiocy. Its a win-win all around.

Either way, keep writing Lowtax. It was your front page articles that brought me to SA years ago, well before my reg date.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJA9BcgB6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEINFmMn4M

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

my knowledge of 4chan history isn't perfect (and lol if anyone's is), but /pol/ is more or less the rebirth of /n/ after it was deleted for being taken over by actual legit bona fide neo-nazis during a stormfront psyop. So while you're kinda sorta correct in that a new influx of users changed the userbase (though not as much as you'd think, some boards like /tg/ are still decent and nazi-free), there's a difference between inviting new users in a controlled way and getting invaded by literals 1488-kikekiller. Also as much as Alex Jones is an idiot I wouldn't call him a nazi or neo nazi. Insane fringe lolbertarian maybe?

I just realized I typed all these words and that they sound very dumb but I'm still gonna :justpost:

edit : vvvv that's fair

Creamed Cormp fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 8, 2018

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yo who gives a poo poo what label alex jones is he's got his retarded fanbase harassing school shooting victims

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjWdYy92xk

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Looks like he's run to Google + to post all of his latest stuff.

https://gizmodo.com/alex-jones-is-shirtlessly-screaming-into-the-void-on-po-1828175471

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There's still a Google+ ?!
Is this what we call purgatory these days?

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe that yt and faceberg banned a humble water filter salesman from their platforms. In honor of his demise, I'll post the two best AJ videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWd6XgBVIcg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7AP0EIPp-I

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Looking forward to the Netrunner future where corporations are the defacto government and I get to steal credits from neotwitter by jacking in ICE through their skyscraper-tall mainframes

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Coolguye posted:

it loving stuns me every time people trot out the free speech slippery slope horseshit all the while not realizing that the constitution keeps you from facing criminal charges for saying poo poo

the government could not possibly give less of a gently caress what a corporation lets you say or not say lol

you'';re kinda loving stupid hth

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Creamed Cormp posted:

my knowledge of 4chan history isn't perfect (and lol if anyone's is), but /pol/ is more or less the rebirth of /n/ after it was deleted for being taken over by actual legit bona fide neo-nazis during a stormfront psyop. So while you're kinda sorta correct in that a new influx of users changed the userbase (though not as much as you'd think, some boards like /tg/ are still decent and nazi-free), there's a difference between inviting new users in a controlled way and getting invaded by literals 1488-kikekiller. Also as much as Alex Jones is an idiot I wouldn't call him a nazi or neo nazi. Insane fringe lolbertarian maybe?

I just realized I typed all these words and that they sound very dumb but I'm still gonna :justpost:

edit : vvvv that's fair

Honestly, the biggest factor in 4chan's eventual takeover (close enough to total not to sweat the details these days) by nazis and assholes was its open and anonymous nature and extremely lax moderation policies/staff. Which, of course, were a large part of the point of its existence, and not necessarily inherently bad things, per se, but, as we've found in the past decade or so in particular, contribute to being extremely vulnerable to infiltration and takeover by groups with a solid agenda and enough patience to not give up. Particularly when the primary demographic of your userbase is also the one most receptive (in general) to the messages of that infiltrating group.

I honestly doubt it could ever happen in SA, simply due to the :10bux:, aggressive moderation policies and highly active mod staff, and, by comparison, a more involved founder/owner who doesn't actually grow to hate his own site/userbase, (particularly toward the end in moot's case, understandably).

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

OP I will back you 100% if you Infinity Gauntlet the internet. :respek:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tsa posted:

you'';re kinda loving stupid hth

american free speech is loving stupid

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqGhZumfRTA

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

well GREAT now I'm finally emotionally invested in your twitter ban bullshit

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
First they came for the warriors who fought inter-dimensional pedophile vampires and I was silent

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

american free speech is loving stupid

yor loving stupid

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
alex jones was fun to watch, you fugging dorks just don't know fun even when it's in front of your faces, screaming at you about prizza and lizards

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

unpleasantly turgid posted:

alex jones was fun to watch, you fugging dorks just don't know fun even when it's in front of your faces, screaming at you about prizza and lizards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqGhZumfRTA

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Oh wait my bad

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

he gets it

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

unpleasantly turgid posted:

Or screaming at your face at a memorial event for your dead sister/daughter.
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news...-345004052.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

SA has the advantage of usernames and mods that enforce rules.

• Locked thread