Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The FB app is opening links in its own spy browser again and it looks like they removed the setting to always open external. Or they buried it somewhere in the settings labyrinth. Or I am just blind, can anyone see it?

Real answer is quit FB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

The FB app is opening links in its own spy browser again and it looks like they removed the setting to always open external. Or they buried it somewhere in the settings labyrinth. Or I am just blind, can anyone see it?

Real answer is quit FB

Are you sure it's not just using Chrome Custom Tabs?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a decent music/audio player that can play from files and has different playback speeds? One of the podcasts I listen to doesn't have all of its episodes available in the feed, but I can grab them from the website. I'm currently using this thing, but it's pretty lovely. You choose playback speed with a bar labeled (0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75), but the >= 1x stops seem to be (judging visually) 1, 1.27, 1.6, 2(?). The app also doesn't remember my place if it falls out of memory.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Is there a decent music/audio player that can play from files and has different playback speeds? One of the podcasts I listen to doesn't have all of its episodes available in the feed, but I can grab them from the website. I'm currently using this thing, but it's pretty lovely. You choose playback speed with a bar labeled (0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75), but the >= 1x stops seem to be (judging visually) 1, 1.27, 1.6, 2(?). The app also doesn't remember my place if it falls out of memory.

I think the playback speeds are done by Android rather than the app so even if the stops are wrong the speeds should be correct. Not saying it's not a lovely app, just saying that part of it shouldn't be hosed up.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LastInLine posted:

I think the playback speeds are done by Android rather than the app so even if the stops are wrong the speeds should be correct. Not saying it's not a lovely app, just saying that part of it shouldn't be hosed up.

is this a Play Store policy? if not i don't understand how it would possibly be enforced

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is this a Play Store policy? if not i don't understand how it would possibly be enforced

I think it's enforced in a "it's way easier to do it via this pre-built way rather than hack together something on your own that probably won't work" way. It was introduced in Marshmallow but if you wanted it on earlier devices you had to hack it together yourself. Some did, but most didn't.

Here's a Medium post about some developer who did hack something together because people running Jelly Bean in 2017 probably pay top dollar for apps to support their ancient platform. If you read it, you'll find that they even mention that it doesn't work well.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

this is getting into the weeds but exoplayer looks to me like the opposite of what you're saying it is. it's FOSS code made by google and is designed (at least partially) to replicate multimedia tech from newer versions of the OS so that app developers can still target their apps to older devices. the performance problem from that article is just when the app is run in debug mode on certain OS versions (n.b. this will only happen if you are an app developer and have an android device hooked up to the dev tools running on a PC). whether or not hooah's "InPhone Music Player" uses the system APIs, or whether multimedia apps do this in general, seems pretty speculative and imo not the most helpful path to head down here

anyway, for the original question:

hooah posted:

Is there a decent music/audio player that can play from files and has different playback speeds? One of the podcasts I listen to doesn't have all of its episodes available in the feed, but I can grab them from the website.

i would suggest just trying any free podcast app that's better known and doesn't look sketchy. i'm sure a few of them can do something like this. unfortunately i don't have any suggestions. i use pocket casts for podcasts, and while there is a menu that says it can load files "from other apps" using an OPML file i only have heard of using OPML files to subscribe to servers

comedy option: set up your own podcast server at home to host the files and sync your phone to it over LAN :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

hether or not hooah's "InPhone Music Player" uses the system APIs, or whether multimedia apps do this in general, seems pretty speculative and imo not the most helpful path to head down here

I only mentioned it because of the assertion that the playback speeds didn't match up to the ticks in the UI, not because it makes any difference at all, it does sound like the app is trash.

hooah, Podcast Addict specifically mentions:

quote:

PLAYBACK / AUDIO EFFECTS
• Built-in audio effects such as playback speed, volume boost and skip silence. Works while streaming or playing downloaded files
• Variable playback speed for video podcasts (Android 6.0+)
• Multiple playlists support
• Advanced playback features like Shuffle mode, Loop mode and Sleep timer
• Works as a standalone player (MP3, local files, streaming)
• Full chapter support
• Chromecast & SONOS support

Exactly what you're looking for, correct?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i use pocket casts for podcasts, and while there is a menu that says it can load files "from other apps" using an OPML file i only have heard of using OPML files to subscribe to servers

You can dump whatever mp3s into Android/data/au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts/files/PocketCasts/custom_episodes, but it sounds like you can't do much to organize it; the app won't even recognize subfolders.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Nah. In theory, you can do anything on Android that you can do on other platforms, because developers are allowed to write native code. Obviously in the native code there are restrictions, but those restrictions are based around permissions, typically. A situation like this is simply that Java and the Android framework didn't provide tools to do this, and writing low-level native code for something like this is Hard and most app shops are not equipped for that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Looks like it is, even if it says "powered by Firefox" in the menu (my default browser is Firefox). I'm guessing they still can snoop more than if I can just be allowed to open links in my adblocked browser.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ola posted:

Looks like it is, even if it says "powered by Firefox" in the menu (my default browser is Firefox). I'm guessing they still can snoop more than if I can just be allowed to open links in my adblocked browser.

It's no different from it opening in standalone Firefox

Also if you care enough to not want to be tracked by Facebook then why are you using it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Also if you care enough to not want to be tracked by Facebook then why are you using it?

Because I rage and rebel against the capitalist panopticon up to the point where it causes mild inconvenience to me, then I crumble.

edit: and thanks, I didn't understand how that new browser function worked

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 6, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Toast Museum posted:

You can dump whatever mp3s into Android/data/au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts/files/PocketCasts/custom_episodes, but it sounds like you can't do much to organize it; the app won't even recognize subfolders.

Oh, I didn't know I could do this. That'd a lot easier, thanks!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Wrong thread

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ola posted:

Because I rage and rebel against the capitalist panopticon up to the point where it causes mild inconvenience to me, then I crumble.

I like this.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why the hell does Gmail show the multiple emails notification when there's only one new email?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ola posted:

This is the new thread title in spirit

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

hooah posted:

Why the hell does Gmail show the multiple emails notification when there's only one new email?

Mine does something strange sort of like that. I linked an old email address to my gmail app and gmail will copy the email into its inbox and give me notifications for both. In the app if I select both for deletion it will delete the copy it made in gmail and leave the other alone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

I noticed that if I get one email, I will get an icon for a single email. When I get another, the icon changes to multiple emails. If I swipe away one of the two notifications, I'll only have one email in the notification, but the icon for multiple remains.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uthor posted:

I noticed that if I get one email, I will get an icon for a single email. When I get another, the icon changes to multiple emails. If I swipe away one of the two notifications, I'll only have one email in the notification, but the icon for multiple remains.

Yeah, this is how it happens for me, too. I forgot to include those details earlier.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Did the Nova Launcher update make everyone else's folders look like poo poo too? Is there some way to go back to folders that don't span the entire screen?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Didn't happen for me, but looks like you go into settings > folders > window style > mode set it to window instead of immersive.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
That's what it looks like in window mode, but it looks the same in immersive.

Maybe it's an Android P thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My folders don't look like that on Pie, though I did have to go and turn off dock icon labels so some settings did get switched around. Also, double check the setting window/immersive. I had to reset my dock label option twice before it took.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mine look the same as they always have.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I took a look at their Twitter feed and there's at least one other dude with the same issue so it's probably some weird specific bug. I also neglected to mention that this is on the Beta branch of the app, so it's almost certainly just a bug.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like how Android Messages wants me to respond to "Happy Birthday" texts with "Thanks, you too!" I guess Google's AI is just as awkward as a real CS major. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE HELPING ME WITH THIS, GOOGLE

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sir Lemming posted:

I like how Android Messages wants me to respond to "Happy Birthday" texts with "Thanks, you too!" I guess Google's AI is just as awkward as a real CS major. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE HELPING ME WITH THIS, GOOGLE

Maybe Google devs are just really big Brian Regan fans

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Maybe Google devs are just really big Brian Regan fans

Take luck!

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Sir Lemming posted:

You should have seen what Gmail suggested I respond to my parents telling me they had updated their wills with.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I turned that poo poo off after the very first suggestion I got was to respond to my aunt being taken off life support with "sounds great".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I use the quick replies constantly. They're pretty great.

Uthor posted:

I turned that poo poo off after the very first suggestion I got was to respond to my aunt being taken off life support with "sounds great".

I mean, you could've just not selected that option?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, you could've just not selected that option?

Not to speak for him, but it shouldn't have been an option for a response in the first place, given the context. If all the ~powered by AI~ brains can offer is a cheerful 'sounds great!' quip, in response to news of a family disaster, the ~magical AI~ needs its brain tweaking.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

computers were a mistake

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

spincube posted:

Not to speak for him, but it shouldn't have been an option for a response in the first place, given the context. If all the ~powered by AI~ brains can offer is a cheerful 'sounds great!' quip, in response to news of a family disaster, the ~magical AI~ needs its brain tweaking.

I don't think anyone, anywhere, at any time would say that it gave an appropriate response there...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I feel like the quick replies are usually decent for me, but I do wish they were just added to the text input box instead of immediately sent. I understand why they're handled that way, but a lot of the times I want to add something after them.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Very easy to accidentally send. They need at least some kind of confirmation.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Montalvo posted:

I took a look at their Twitter feed and there's at least one other dude with the same issue so it's probably some weird specific bug. I also neglected to mention that this is on the Beta branch of the app, so it's almost certainly just a bug.

The beta and stable branches are in sync at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Nova launcher just updated for me and now I have labels under the dock icons, is there a way to turn this off?

Edit: figured it out, settings > desktop > dock > icon layout, toggle the switch next to label

elmer chud fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 8, 2018