Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I have a 12 week old puppy (that I'm crate training), but I realized last night that she has actually trained me. How long do you guys suggest people wait to take a dog "back" outside if they start to whine an hour or so after going to the bathroom? I think my pup has put two-and-two together and realized that if she starts to cry in the evening I'll wake up and go outside with her. I've been doing what people suggest (making it boring, taking her right back in after she pees etc) - but after studying her last night I've come to the conclusion that she is either pantomiming pee or forcing herself to produce just a few drops so she can enjoy the night air. I'm not concerned about a UTI or anything since she drinks water at a normal rate during the day and isn't going at frequent intervals during the day like has been in the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My friends adopted a dog from the rescue and they were having a terrible time with crate training. Funny thing is that we were at our local brewery and she chose to lay underneath everything; chairs, a rack of hops, etc. I suggested to him that they try putting a blanket over the crate so that it feels more den like.

He texted me that night and said she went right in and slept in there all night with the door open. Success since. Clearly I can't claim the success on my own, its a thing that all of us who have gone through crate training have likely tried. Fortunately for him, it worked. For me, my dog pulled the blanked into the crate and ripped it to shreds.

Crates are only abusive if the owner treats it like a bad place to be. In the wild, a lot of animals seek shelter when they sleep because they know thats a vulnerable time. By sleeping in a small enclosed space, they know they can't be snuck up on and they usually feel protected. When you put them into an open wire crate, they only see that they are trapped and will likely behave as such.

Of course every dog is different and crate training doesn't work well for everybody.

I'm just reeling in my success of getting my dog into a muzzle by putting peanut butter inside of it and coaxing him into it on his own. Eventually we'll work him out of lunging/biting at strangers but one step at a time. Maybe we'll have this figured out by the time he's 10 (he just turned 3).

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I have a 12 week old puppy (that I'm crate training), but I realized last night that she has actually trained me. How long do you guys suggest people wait to take a dog "back" outside if they start to whine an hour or so after going to the bathroom? I think my pup has put two-and-two together and realized that if she starts to cry in the evening I'll wake up and go outside with her. I've been doing what people suggest (making it boring, taking her right back in after she pees etc) - but after studying her last night I've come to the conclusion that she is either pantomiming pee or forcing herself to produce just a few drops so she can enjoy the night air. I'm not concerned about a UTI or anything since she drinks water at a normal rate during the day and isn't going at frequent intervals during the day like has been in the evening.

Your puppy is still very young. Take it out every hour or so. Its better to establish good outdoor habits/warning behaviors than get good sleep at this point. Eventually your dog will be able to hold it for half the night or completely through the night but you're still in that time where they feel the urge and they have to go right then. Be thankful they are warning you and not just going in the house. Use a command when they go outside and praise it when they do then come right inside. No play, no walks. Outside to pee and right back in.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 6, 2018

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Verman posted:

Your puppy is still very young. Take it out every hour or so. Its better to establish good outdoor habits/warning behaviors than get good sleep at this point. Eventually your dog will be able to hold it for half the night or completely through the night but you're still in that time where they feel the urge and they have to go right then. Be thankful they are warning you and not just going in the house. Use a command when they go outside and praise it when they do then come right inside. No play, no walks. Outside to pee and right back in.

Yeah, I’ve been doing all of that (the command is “busy busy busy”) and it’s been working like a charm. I will keep at it then, thanks!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I think my little dog had a bad reaction to her shots this weekend or she was just being a drama queen. She just wanted to lay around on my lap but she would scream at me like I was murdering her anytime I tried to move or move her. She seems fine now.

MockingQuantum posted:

This. This this this. Humans are dumb and look at crates and think "oh no a dog prison".

I call my crates "dog jail". I think I'm funny.

I crate trained my first dog right when I got her, after reading about all the benefits here. I got her as an adult and she's never really loved it. She didn't really have any house training issues. I do have to give her a little shove to go in but she'll just lay there and look bored until I let her out. It's way better than putting her behind a closed door because she will have a fit if she can hear people but can't see them. I know she'll be fine if I have to board her or bring her somewhere.

The second dog came crate trained from the shelter, which was nice. She did have a house training problem so she would stay in her crate while I was gone for a long time. I have her just at a year and I only started leaving her out a couple of months ago.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I lost my little buddy Count. He was fine on Friday, got sick on Saturday, and passed on Sunday. Found out from the vet that it was due to cancer. I had no time to react or do anything to help him. I miss him so much.

I’m sorry if this isn’t the place to put this but I’m so torn up about it. We put our old Lab down last November and I found Count in January of last year, I didn’t want to lose another dog so soon.

I’m think I’m retiring from dogs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MockingQuantum posted:

It's hard to say without being there and seeing what's setting the dog off. It could be totally normal dog communication (dogs do just get up in each others' faces and need to let each other know that's okay), it could be that your dog feels unusually threatened for some reason or another, but it's hard to speculate. There are ways to kind of identify the problem and help your dog feel more comfortable but it's an involved subject, and given it's a situation where guessing what the problem might be and getting it wrong could result in one or more dog being hurt, I'd suggest seeking out an experienced trainer for advice, one who can see your dog interact with other dogs.

Some dogs just don't do well with other dogs, some don't do well with dogs bigger than them, some form other strange avoidances. One of mine, for example, got freaked out by a big, aggressive white dog as a puppy so he takes a long time and careful encouragement to warm up to other white dogs.

A general note, just because I see people do it a lot: don't ever scold your dog for growling, at people or other dogs. That's the dog's way of letting whatever or whoever know that they're not happy with the situation. It's basically an early-warning system. Dogs know to avoid a dog that's growling (generally, unless it's been trained out of them or they were taken from the litter too early) but people sometimes view it as undesirable behavior. But if you train a dog to not growl, you're basically training it to skip over the "hey I don't like this" phase straight to the "I'm going to bite you because I'm scared" phase.

The same applies in general to dogs who snap at other dogs without actually making contact. Snapping is sort of a last-resort "leave me alone" signal. It's usually the case, though, that you as the owner would want to intervene in the situation before it gets to that point, but it takes experience to know what the problem even is and how best to intervene without reinforcing fearful behavior, which would just lead to more growling and snapping.

This is a very very good post and should be linked in the OP

Skeezy posted:

I lost my little buddy Count. He was fine on Friday, got sick on Saturday, and passed on Sunday. Found out from the vet that it was due to cancer. I had no time to react or do anything to help him. I miss him so much.

I’m sorry if this isn’t the place to put this but I’m so torn up about it. We put our old Lab down last November and I found Count in January of last year, I didn’t want to lose another dog so soon.

I’m think I’m retiring from dogs.

Sorry for your loss, on both counts. Count was a good boy and he was lucky to have the time he had in a good home with someone who loved him.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

You gave that dog a good home, no matter how short it was. You're both lucky for the time you got together and that's what matters.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey, so, I just adopted a 1.5-year-old saluki/hound mix named Lily, and she is a very good, calm, and sweet girl, but we're having some anxiety-related issues with her.

The shelter's info form indicated she got nervous about car rides, and she kind of freaked out on the first ride home. Like, shaking, whining, no barking because she's not a barker, but she didn't take it very well in general. On our first walk around our neighborhood, she refused to walk toward our house the first time my wife tried to turn around for something, because our car was there and she appeared to be afraid we were gonna try to take her in there. Later, I had to run out to Petco to get a bigger crate (because we forgot how tall she was when ordering a crate for the first time) and she happened to be outside when I opened the car door to get it, and she did not like that one bit and refused to walk anywhere for a while.

Now it's the morning after and we cannot for the life of us get this dog to leave our backyard. We're supposed to be exercising her because salukis are a running breed, but she only wanted to go outside this morning very briefly to pee and since then just puts on the brakes whenever we try to get her to go for a real walk. She was actually shaking again when we tried. Now she's lying down in her crate and doesn't wanna leave it. We think either she's afraid we're gonna take her in the car again, or she's afraid we're gonna take her back to the shelter and leave her there again.

She doesn't know us very well yet and doesn't appear to trust us much -- she ate food, but only after we left the room, and either she doesn't want to take treats from us yet or she really doesn't like the treats we got (Newman's Own, peanut-butter flavored).

I'm really concerned for this sweet anxious dog; how do I convince her that going for a walk isn't going to literally kill her? Thanks for any help!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My Great Dane/Poodle was very anxious when we got her from the shelter too. All that helped was time and practice. Don’t push a walk for now, a few days or weeks of low activity won’t be a big deal. Once she’s been with you a while, her activity and appetite will get back to normal and she may try treats. You can always try something meaty. My dogs love cheap hot dogs more than just about anything.

When she’s more comfortable, try to make the car less scary. I’d start by having her look out the window at it and give her treats 10 times a day, then work up from there. We worked through her terrible case of Separation Anxiety in a similar way and it took a long time but did work.

Good luck!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Joburg posted:

My Great Dane/Poodle was very anxious when we got her from the shelter too. All that helped was time and practice. Don’t push a walk for now, a few days or weeks of low activity won’t be a big deal. Once she’s been with you a while, her activity and appetite will get back to normal and she may try treats. You can always try something meaty. My dogs love cheap hot dogs more than just about anything.

When she’s more comfortable, try to make the car less scary. I’d start by having her look out the window at it and give her treats 10 times a day, then work up from there. We worked through her terrible case of Separation Anxiety in a similar way and it took a long time but did work.

Good luck!

Got it -- basically, not walking is our only choice right now, because she won't walk, so this makes sense. Hopefully she warms up quickly!

The car thing is a problem because our long-term plan for keeping her exercised and socialized was to take her to day-care a couple times a week and bring her to work with me once a week, and we can't do that if she has stress breakdowns every time she sees one of us touch a car. That one's gonna be tougher. Your suggestion is a good starting point, though. Thanks a lot for the reply!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't even advise trying to get her into the car for now. If she has a strong reaction to something, then you need to expose her at levels that don't trigger anxiety. That might be something as simple as "showing her the driveway when the car is not in it". Once you find a level of exposure that does not trigger anxiety, you can then try to push things slightly further (take her on a walk that passes by the car, say). Eventually hopefully you can get to the point where she can go into the car, when it is not on, without getting anxious. Then try turning the engine on without her in the car (but near enough to observe), then with her in the car, but don't go anywhere, etc.

It's a long, slow process, but trying to rush it will just set you back.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife's home with the dog today (she works in schools and her school year hasn't started yet, which is why we got the dog now to begin with) and is sending me updates, and apparently she has now successfully gotten her to leave the house :toot: It probably helps that my car is at work with me, and she hasn't been inside my wife's car yet

Still no luck hand-feeding her treats, but she apparently does like the treats and will eat them if left for her, so that's narrowed down

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Have you considered getting the dog it’s own car? Maybe a NA Miata? No one hates a Miata, not even this pooch

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
We had more success with the car once our dog had bonded enough to miss us, so the excitement of "Momma/Poppa home!" began to outweigh the fear of the car so we could go closer and closer. And bucketfuls of treats of vourse

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I have one dog that loving loves riding in the car. She hops in anytime the door is open.

The other dog doesn't like the car very much. She'll occasionally hop in if she's on the leash and I give her some encouragement. It's more likely that she'll put on the brakes or just stare at me like I'm an idiot. Occasionally she run to the living room couch.

Once she's in the car she's okay. I've got the back seat down and a cover over the area. She's got a dog bed to lay on and she can't fall off the seat. She usually spends the car ride laying down and looking sad.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Update: Dog is now walking; dog is now accepting treats. I even got her to take one from my hand! She's still not really eating, though, and she has yet to poop while in our custody. We're thinking maybe she's having stress-related stomach issues.

She did in fact walk past my car just fine (although in a bit of a hurry), but, funny story, while I was walking her there was a truck parked on the side of the road, and a guy went up and got inside. She heard the truck door slam and that was it, she wasn't going anywhere until that truck left. I had to stand there awkwardly with my dog in front of somebody else's house until the truck guy was ready to leave (only about 30 seconds but still).

Basically it's a long process but we're making progress!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

loquacius posted:

Update: Dog is now walking; dog is now accepting treats. I even got her to take one from my hand! She's still not really eating, though, and she has yet to poop while in our custody. We're thinking maybe she's having stress-related stomach issues.

Both of my dogs had an explosive indoor poo poo within the first week I had them.

rabbitmonger
Jan 16, 2008

AAAUGH

loquacius posted:

She did in fact walk past my car just fine (although in a bit of a hurry), but, funny story, while I was walking her there was a truck parked on the side of the road, and a guy went up and got inside. She heard the truck door slam and that was it, she wasn't going anywhere until that truck left. I had to stand there awkwardly with my dog in front of somebody else's house until the truck guy was ready to leave (only about 30 seconds but still).

Basically it's a long process but we're making progress!

Your dog is being very brave and you should be proud of her! :3

When we brought our rescue Pyr home years ago she didn't poop for the first three days, then took a MASSIVE dump in the kitchen, then never pooped in the house again. Dogs: they weird

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dog pooped this morning, too :toot:

A normal-sized poop, outside, in a park. We'd much rather she pooped in our yard but hey after seeing you guys post I'm just glad it wasn't on our rug :v:

We can probably just focus on getting her acclimated now for a few days before we start to worry about things like "not freaking out near cars" but we are gonna eventually have to, y'know, drive her somewhere. That can come later, though. Thanks for your help, guys!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

loquacius posted:

Dog pooped this morning, too :toot:

A normal-sized poop, outside, in a park. We'd much rather she pooped in our yard but hey after seeing you guys post I'm just glad it wasn't on our rug :v:

We can probably just focus on getting her acclimated now for a few days before we start to worry about things like "not freaking out near cars" but we are gonna eventually have to, y'know, drive her somewhere. That can come later, though. Thanks for your help, guys!

I think 90% of what you're dealing with is her not completely trusting you yet. When we first brought our pup home it took him about a week to fully acclimate to us, he was about 7 months old, had been through a major surgery about 3 months prior and lived with one of the nurses for 2.5ish months, so I think he was afraid he was going to be dumped off at the shelter again or something. After about a week he really opened up and started sleeping with us, really playing and other stuff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Still say you should get the pooch a Miata.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm hoping someone can recommend an item to me.

I need something that will hold a door open, but only large enough for the cat, but not the dog. And won't get pushed shut accidentally, or forced open by pushing.

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Monkey-Lock-Pinch-Guard/dp/B004ECJWK4/ref=sr_1_19_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1534425645&sr=8-19&keywords=keep+door+open

Something like that, but that one seems to be pretty small. I saw a strap on amazon, but it doesn't look ideal.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I think you'll probably be better off with a cat-sized pet door in the door.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The other option, if you can't put a cat door in for whatever reason, is to get one of the friction-fit style baby gates. I got one and set it up a few inches off the ground so the cats could get under (though they both can just jump on top of the gate to get over it) but the dogs can't. It's a pain in the butt because you then have to leave the door pretty much wide open, and you have a nice little tripline a few inches off the ground, but it worked alright for what I needed.

I feel like anything similar to what you linked either won't work, or will just lead to a dog mashing its face against the door until it manages to dislodge it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

What should be done for correcting aggressive bites the moment after they happen?

i.e. During play, if puppy gets too excited and uses teeth then we yelp or immediately leave the room and she figures out pretty quickly that biting is not an acceptable play behavior.

In other (non-play) situations, she will resource guard or get reactive toward something outside and occasionally redirect that anxiety towards us. There is a stark difference with these bites as they are not playful and are very deliberate in sending a message to us. In these moments, is leaving the room and shunning her for a few minutes an acceptable option? Or does that just reinforce her thinking that snapping/biting will get us to leave her alone when she wants?

I understand that management and prevention is the best solution but it is not 100% foolproof. We have an elaborate system of gates and playpens to limit her house access and follow super strict resource guarding protocols in general but there are still times where she'll snap unexpectedly. What should the immediate reaction be in those moments?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'Dog at Rest'
A Still Life

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have a problem: my pupper, Apollo, hates being separated from me...and while we've worked out a system where he gets an anti-anxiety pill that takes the edge off, and he goes into his kennel with a pig's ear, a kong full of peanut butter (frozen) and a water dish... he still deadweights and refuses to go into the kennel when it's time. The first time he was fine going into it, because omg treats.

The second time he was all "...something's up" and he didn't want to, but he went in.

Now, on the fifth or sixth time, he deadweights and I have to lift him inside, and often drag him back in, because he's very fast at darting out before I can close the door.

We always come back to the water gone, the pig's ear gone, and the kong cleaned out and a fine dog, but ughhhh he does NOT want to go in. At all. Because he knows it means he'll be closed in and I'll be gone.

I genuinely don't know how to make this easier for him, because these are literally the best bribes he can get. The kennel itself is non-threatening - he'll happily go in at other times, he'll hang out in there if I'm down in the basement or cleaning it up, etc etc. It's just that he KNOWS that when this stuff is coming, he's gonna be locked up and away from me and that's the worst. Apparently.

:sigh:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I would practice having him go in there and then not leave. Do it for short times and build up. You wouldn’t have to give him the whole range of treats every time. There are better dog people here than me, but that was my first thought.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, what I've heard about desensitizing separation anxiety is that you have to play through the "I'm about to leave for work" dance, but you don't actually leave. Figure out how much of the dance you can do without provoking anxiety, and do that much until your dog figures out that e.g. "picking up the keys doesn't always mean they're Leaving Me". Then add the next step (pick up keys, open door, close door). Then the next (pick up keys, open door, go through door), and so on.

If your dog isn't afraid of cars, it might also help to take them with you on some short trips. So they learn that sometimes, the keys mean "I get to go to the park!"

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Is there a good way to get a dog to stop rubbing against things or people? My 14 year old cocker has about half her body mass in benign tumours at this point and that's fine except for the fact that a bunch of them are in her ear, which makes her leak earwax constantly. I've gotten used to the constant smell but whenever she rubs her head on anything (or anyone), she leaves a trail of liquid earwax. This is less okay.
I've been trying to gently discourage the habit but she's so old and possibly dog-senile that nothing seems to stick.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Is there an active dog fostering thread I'm not finding?

Edit: answered

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 30, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GoodBee posted:

Is there an active dog fostering thread I'm not finding?

It's slow because the OP had a baby human instead of fostering more cats, but: here is the fostering megathread, there are some champs in there.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's slow because the OP had a baby human instead of fostering more cats, but: here is the fostering megathread, there are some champs in there.

Thanks!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Whelp. Dog3 has been adopted.

He's not immediately BFFs with the other two, which is to be expected from normal dogs. Dogs 1&2 are both ladies and about 3 1/2 years old. I've had Dog1 for almost 2 years and Dog2 a little over a year. They were immediately BFFs.

Dog3 is a male and he's 1 year, 8 months. Dog1 plays with him until she doesn't want to anymore. Then she snaps at him and he backs off and goes to play with toys on his own. They're okay together. She met him before he was adopted. She wasn't thrilled with him but he's okay.

Dog2 is a little poo poo but this was known beforehand. She's really bad at friends. She's been reasonably acclimated to friends dogs. She doesn't like it when anyone else is playing with her sister but eventually, like after half a dozen visits or less, at least fucks off and chills on her favorite chair. She doesn't care about visitors unless they come in her "zone" between the couches and her chair. No ones pressed the issue.

Dog2 tries to play with Dog3, for about 5 seconds and then screams like she's being murdered. This is her normal and to be expected. Dog3 is being more of a butt than our other friend's dogs only because he yells back at her. Really not a huge deal, just noisy.

Dog3 isn't housebroken, he peed on the kitchen tile right in front of everyone like it was no big deal. And he has heartworms, which is also expected in our region. About 75% of strays test positive and even the ones who test negative might test positive after 6 months. Dog1 tested negative at intake but tested a mild positive after 6 months. He's going to spending a lot of time in his kennel anyway. He's got to get with the pee schedule and, depending on his heartworm test Saturday, he may have to stay confined for the next two months due to heartworm treatment.

Wrangling these doofs will probably be annoying but I'm not really seeing any huge problems, especially after talking with other fosters.

I don't really have any questions, I'd just like to hear some stories about adding a second or third (or more?) dog stories. I've told my adding a second dog story to pretty much everyone who will listen who has two dogs and it seems like it's an abnormal love story.

I'm also good hearing some love stories.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
In horrible news, my dog cut her paw open right on the wrist Wednesday when she broke a glass by jumping on it. She had to go to the emergency vet and get all stitched up. Cut all the way down to the bone. She had an overnight stay and came home yesterday. On severe restriction for 2 weeks. Poor lil baby dingus. There was so much blood. I'm proud of her though, she came to find me when she knew she was hurt and something was wrong. Kinda made my heart melt.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

What do people who work out of the house for 9 hours a day do with your dogs? I've been working from home since before we adopted our puppy so she's used to having me home all day. But I'm going to start an office job in a couple weeks and wondering if we need doggie daycare (probably not affordable), a dog walker, or another dog in the house for her to harass. She'll still get plenty of exercise as we jog with her in the morning and dog park in the evening, but I'm worried about her not having company all day.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Winter Rose posted:

What do people who work out of the house for 9 hours a day do with your dogs? I've been working from home since before we adopted our puppy so she's used to having me home all day. But I'm going to start an office job in a couple weeks and wondering if we need doggie daycare (probably not affordable), a dog walker, or another dog in the house for her to harass. She'll still get plenty of exercise as we jog with her in the morning and dog park in the evening, but I'm worried about her not having company all day.

The same thing happened with us and our pup, they'll get used to it, we initially started him confined to the kitchen (with crate + dog bed and toys), then slowly opened up the rest of the house once we were sure he wouldn't chew everything to pieces. He sleeps most of the day (got a furbo so I can spy on him) and we generally try to do the same routine as you, exercise in the morning (long walk or play for 45-60 minutes) and evening.

How old is your pup now? It might not be bad to get a dog walker mid-day depending, ours is almost 2 now so he can hold it provided we aren't gone literally all day, but I do get a walker on longer days anyway so he can have some excitement during the day.

Doggie daycare is just too expensive for us or I'd totally do it to keep him socialized and active all day.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Winter Rose posted:

Depends on your situation and your dog. In my area (seattle) doggy daycare runs $25-35/day for a full day (most hours are 7am-7pm) and dog walkers run $15-25 for a 30-60 minute walk/play. Your area might vary in pricing, seattle is expensive. Luckily I was between jobs when we got our dog. I was spending about three hours a day going for walks, at least an hour or two at the dog park followed by an evening walk and play throughout the day. When I got a full time office job, we needed to figure something out because he needed lots of stimulation and exercise. At first, we had a friend who would come over and spend an hour or so with him while we were at work. She charged $20 but then she also got a job and wasn't available. At a certain point, the extra $5-10 for a full day of care was a better value than nearly the same price for a short walk that does literally nothing to curb his energy.

We started doing doggy daycare because my dog was still a young puppy and couldn't be left alone for too long. Being a Vizsla, he had separation anxiety and an endless supply of energy. We thought it would just be until he was old enough to leave at home by himself. After a while, we realized he was coming home from doggy daycare happy and exhausted. We both have the luxury of being able to work from home a few days per week so we alternate the days, minimizing how much we need DD. He usually goes Monday and Friday with the occasional Weds thrown in if we're busy. We both work pretty good jobs so while its stupid expensive, we can afford it and its better than coming home to a destroyed house, replacing a new sofa, or an injured dog who got into something he shouldn't have.

If you have the option, you can always come home from work during your lunch break but I suppose that only works if you live close to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I have a greyhound that sleeps in his crate for 9-10 hours. If I leave him outside his crate then he sleeps on his cushion for 9-10 hours. It's a tough life.