Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That was a great season finale, it would have worked just as well as a series finale, better then some written as such.

And if anyone does not want to come back next season their cryo pod malfunctioned and no awkward death scene needed. I do hope Diyoza comes back with her 275 year old baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm happy that as soon as I saw the cryo pods at the end, I said "Will we dream?" and was rewarded.

Really solid finale, but this show always excels at them. I'd have been seriously happy with that as a series finale and I wonder if they didn't get renewal until pretty late in the cycle.

I'm not sure where they're going to go with character arcs at this point any more, though.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I was not even aware the show was from a book till they put "End Book 1" at the end. How close does it follow the books? Are they any good?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Once the cryopods went into play, I knew there was going to be a someone staying awake angle. Glad it was Monty and Harper getting to grow old together and not something like Clarke and Bellamy.

Good finale overall. Really wondering what comes next.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm surprised they didn't have like 15 kids. As they said, not much else to do.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

badjohny posted:

How close does it follow the books? Are they any good?

The names are the same and that’s about it. They are YA books, the show is infinitely better.

edit: I mean the names Clarke, Bellamy, Octavia, Wells and Jaha. The other people from the show aren’t in the books, except for Clarke’s parents and their names were changed.

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 8, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So when they're going to land, a new conflict arises with the descendants of the exploration crew.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

badjohny posted:

I was not even aware the show was from a book till they put "End Book 1" at the end. How close does it follow the books? Are they any good?

I haven't read it, but according to my niece, the books & show have the name in common and not much else.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus christ what a season finale. :stare:

Combat Pretzel posted:

So when they're going to land, a new conflict arises with the descendants of the exploration crew.

Gotta have someone for Clarke to murder.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Jesus christ what a season finale. :stare:

Gotta have someone for Clarke to murder.

Clarke gets to be the first interstellar human mass murderer. Hopefully there are misunderstood aliens for her bloodlust as well.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm guessing their will be different factions and they'll have to take sides.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

new earth needs to be inhabited by dinosaurs, wanna see clarke slay a dragon.

it's the only thing left on my bucketlist for this show.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

They've pretty well established that we're going to meet that other ship right? The whole "the ship was never heard from, but if they'd sent a message it would have arrived after apocalypse 1" kinda sets that expectation? Could be cool having a colony with what, 500 almost years of civilisation building up on Earth² and seeing how much they diverge from the tribal Grounders in a similar time period.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Planet of the Nightbloods.

Becca developed the seruum, so... 100 and change, plus the show, plus the long sleep, talking bout 230 years, give or take a couple of whatevers.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

So, if there are less than 500 humans left alive, how hosed up are the results of that genetic bottle neck going to be?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sammus posted:

So, if there are less than 500 humans left alive, how hosed up are the results of that genetic bottle neck going to be?

500 on the ship. Plus the planet... whatever that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_population

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

500 cyropods but 412 people! :eng101:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Well is it 410 since those two died, or 411 if you include the pregnancy or 412 since you also include their kid.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a planet of slack-jawed, once-again illiterate grounders who all kinda look like murphy, moreso the women.

then they all die in a religious war over which sun is actually praimfaya.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Sammus posted:

I'm gonna guess everyone will look like this within a few generations

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jfood posted:

a planet of slack-jawed, once-again illiterate grounders who all kinda look like murphy, moreso the women.

then they all die in a religious war over which sun is actually praimfaya.

Well, the whole planet are nightbloods, if there any left. So the Flame will be the new religious thing everyone wants.

Plus Aliens... right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Right, there could be natives on the planet along with the descendants of that transport ship.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Right, there could be natives on the planet along with the descendants of that transport ship.

Everyone is going to have issues, the reason they gave the Eligius III nightblood was the twin suns. binary star.

Only Clarke and Madi have it so far.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
That planet seemed to be covered in storms.

But yeah, great Season Finale.

Also

Rectal Death Adept posted:

MiddleOne posted:

We've already had vampires, AI's and now space-criminals. Where could they possibly go next.

They find out that the classified space mission actually found a habitable place somewhere so they need to go kill everyone that lives there

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

500 on the ship. Plus the planet... whatever that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_population

So uh...

quote:

An MVP of 500 to 1,000 has often been given as an average for terrestrial vertebrates when inbreeding or genetic variability is ignored.[3][4] When inbreeding effects are included, estimates of MVP for many species are in the thousands. Based on a meta-analysis of reported values in the literature for many species, Traill et al. reported a median MVP of 4,169 individuals.[5]

I guess humanity is pretty much hosed then, unless there is a thriving colony of 3,600 genetically distinct people already on the planet.

edit: Double that because Clark has to kill someone.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 9, 2018

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
On the other hand, the Maori are apparently all descended from just 56 women plus an unknown number of men who landed on New Zealand 800ish years ago (ignoring post-contact European admixture), so I suspect that there is a very large grey area between "no significantly increased risk of genetic disease" and "doomed to extinction" when it comes to population size.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 9, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Figures that they two people that actually die are the two that weren't murderous shitlords. They probably stayed awake so they could live out their lives without having to see those fuckers ever again.

Dalael posted:

I do not blame Octavia for not taking the surrender. You're seriously going to trust in the word of a bunch of convict who are ALL murderers, rapists or a combination of both? hell nah.

For some reason, Diyoza, Kane, Abby, and Clarke did. Who could have possibly seen trusting an openly murderous psychopath backfiring? Besides literally everyone, I mean.
But then again they were all loving idiots who made the worst decisions at every turn and they didn't deserve a planet to live on.

Can't wait to see how they (or their ancestors) manage to gently caress things up in Book Two, if it ever comes to exist.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 9, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

For some reason, Diyoza, Kane, Abby, and Clarke did. Who could have possibly seen trusting an openly murderous psychopath backfiring? Besides literally everyone, I mean.
But then again they were all loving idiots who made the worst decisions at every turn and they didn't deserve a planet to live on.

Can't wait to see how they (or their ancestors) manage to gently caress things up in Book Two, if it ever comes to exist.

Season 6 is confirmed.

I'm pretty keen to see Planet Canada.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loving love this show.

lol at Monty's increasingly bad wigs

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I loved how Maddy was all "kill them all" and I hate how Bellamy was the voice of reason. Like yeah, I think she made the right choice in not killing them in the end but gently caress Bellamy and his holier-than-thou attitude.

I wonder if Maddy/the AIs in the Flame hibernated all that time or if it was a literal prison for her/them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seems like everyone is just going to forgive Octavia? lol what a loving copout if they don't address it next season.

Characters on this show have been forgiven for equally bad or worse tbf so nbd. O went from living under the floorboard for 18 years to being the leader who needed to be hard enough to basically space people like her mother was spaced (and she herself tbh since Earth being habitable was a longshot when the kids were sent down), for the survival of mankind.

I don't blame her for goin a little batty at the and there. Esp since Wonkru had to turn to cannibalism for a hot minute lmao

Also yeah S6 is confirmed and CW seems happy with the show (they renewed for 6 after 2 episodes of S5) and willing to do more after that. I could see this turning into an 'idk end it when the showrunner/cast wants to' situation if season 6 doesn't lose the momentum the rest of the show has had after this big finale setup.

e: ^^ lmao that thought also crossed my mind re: the flame

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

I loved how Maddy was all "kill them all" and I hate how Bellamy was the voice of reason. Like yeah, I think she made the right choice in not killing them in the end but gently caress Bellamy and his holier-than-thou attitude.

I wonder if Maddy/the AIs in the Flame hibernated all that time or if it was a literal prison for her/them.

:agreed: Then again Bellamy knows what it's like to murder hundreds of innocent people. :rip: Pike you were kind of a dick but infinitely better than Octavia.

esperterra posted:

Characters on this show have been forgiven for equally bad or worse tbf so nbd. O went from living under the floorboard for 18 years to being the leader who needed to be hard enough to basically space people like her mother was spaced (and she herself tbh since Earth being habitable was a longshot when the kids were sent down), for the survival of mankind.

I don't blame her for goin a little batty at the and there. Esp since Wonkru had to turn to cannibalism for a hot minute lmao

Also yeah S6 is confirmed and CW seems happy with the show (they renewed for 6 after 2 episodes of S5) and willing to do more after that. I could see this turning into an 'idk end it when the showrunner/cast wants to' situation if season 6 doesn't lose the momentum the rest of the show has had after this big finale setup.

e: ^^ lmao that thought also crossed my mind re: the flame

It will be real hard to swallow that everyone forgives after she burned down the hydroponics farm and essentially got everyone but 412 people killed.

Basically she should've died in ep12 instead of being rescued at the last second.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

Don't forgot Clarke and her Robin are the last nightbloods.

I'm going for this... end season with 300 going to Eligius 3 and becoming skycru 3.0. New canadian forest set, twin suns cgi... rinse repeat death toll.

Called it !

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

I dont think its a holier than thou attitude. More like, "I already murdered a bunch if people two seasons ago and would rather avoid doing it again"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So the world ended again, and this time is totally our heroes fault

Through the whole season and specially at the end, they wasted or refused every opportunity to get rid of the obvious evil psycho villain. And instead, they helped him in many ways, against their own.

Kane and Clarke specially are directly responsible, through their betrayals, for getting McCreary into the position of killing almost all of their own people and them destroying earth, again

And now thanks to Monty these fine young well intended people have a new planet to destroy. Lets see how long it takes!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Called it !

holy sht

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

So the world ended again, and this time is totally our heroes fault

Through the whole season and specially at the end, they wasted or refused every opportunity to get rid of the obvious evil psycho villain. And instead, they helped him in many ways, against their own.

Kane and Clarke specially are directly responsible, through their betrayals, for getting McCreary into the position of killing almost all of their own people and them destroying earth, again

And now thanks to Monty these fine young well intended people have a new planet to destroy. Lets see how long it takes!

Don't forget Murphy, Raven, and the others had McCreary tied up in the cave and came up with the plan to bring him back after Prison Captain said they should kill him.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
After the poo poo both Clarke and Kane pulled, both needs to be executed as soon as they land. How many Wankru are dead because of those two idiots?

But no, no one's pissed, everything's okay and Clarke gets to live happily ever after. It's dumb.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TMMadman posted:

Don't forget Murphy, Raven, and the others had McCreary tied up in the cave and came up with the plan to bring him back after Prison Captain said they should kill him.

That too. Holy poo poo that was dumb

Dalael posted:

After the poo poo both Clarke and Kane pulled, both needs to be executed as soon as they land. How many Wankru are dead because of those two idiots?

But no, no one's pissed, everything's okay and Clarke gets to live happily ever after. It's dumb.

Yeah, gently caress them. There should be full amnesty for everyone except Kane, Clarke and Octavia, space them 3 genocidal idiots, they became simply irredeemable. But then you cant just kill 3 main characters soo..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wouldn’t mind if they got rid of Kane (as long as Abbie goes with him) cause I think his story is done. He was the adult in charge but everyone’s an adult now. He should just retire off to a farm with Abbie, and also take Bellamy with them too.

• Locked thread