Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

So pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I can't speak for everyone, but like I don't like Binding of Isaac because you have to unlock new items ...

I beat boi on my third attempt but haven't been able to since

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
despite Runic closing Torchlight's not dead (site says it's from the creators of I & II)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xj6OGVIKTM

sounds mmoish, bone/ps4/pc

Torchlight Frontiers combines the heart of the beloved Torchlight series with a shared, persistent and dynamically generated world. In true Torchlight style, players will team up with friends and devoted pets to hack and slack their way through a vibrant world, discover ancient ruins of lost civilizations and brave dungeons filled with riches and dangerous creatures.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Rinkles posted:

despite Runic closing Torchlight's not dead (site says it's from the creators of I & II)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xj6OGVIKTM

sounds mmoish, bone/ps4/pc

Torchlight Frontiers combines the heart of the beloved Torchlight series with a shared, persistent and dynamically generated world. In true Torchlight style, players will team up with friends and devoted pets to hack and slack their way through a vibrant world, discover ancient ruins of lost civilizations and brave dungeons filled with riches and dangerous creatures.

I mean, did anyone even want more Torchlight? Did anyone even finish Torchlight II?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

My wife is mad that the cats are not the player character in Monster Hunter World

Time to buy MHGen where they are.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Odd that Monster hunter has no Pre load. Welp got under 2 hours.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Turd Herder posted:

Odd that Monster hunter has no Pre load. Welp got under 2 hours.

Is it releasing at 11 EST? Weird time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is there any way of making steam be offline by default when you run it? I have settings -> interface -> taskbar preferences -> offline checked.

I can't see any other options?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jippa posted:

Is there any way of making steam be offline by default when you run it? I have settings -> interface -> taskbar preferences -> offline checked.

If you mean for your friends list you can go into the friends settings (which aren't under regular settings anymore they're under your friend list) and turn "sign into friends when steam client starts" to off.

If you mean for steam itself, you can't always start in offline mode. You have to login at least once previously before you can then restart in offline mode. Steam forces you to do this to check your credentials and needs to refresh that every like week or month or something.

edit: you also could just disable your internet for a moment when you start steam and then re-enable it later but eventually steam will make you login for a bit to check your credentials. The -offline parameter for the steam executable was disabled years ago.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 9, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bonds0097 posted:

Is it releasing at 11 EST? Weird time.

Either that or noon eastern, there seems to be some confusion on that point in the discord

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For people not reading the monster hunter thread: Based on reports from the Chinese version which is out now, the game's denuvo implementation or something makes the game unrunnable on any CPU that doesn't support FMA3 instructions. Basically if CPU-Z doesn't list the instruction set, it won't run.

This includes the common i5-2500k and even CPUs over the game's minimum spec. Allegedly this happened to RE7 and was quickly patched, but MHW may not be playable for a lot of people until it's patched. No one here has verified this but be warned.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Here comes the stupid "they're just making it up, extra drm is not a bad thing, why don't you want less consumer's rights" posts.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Jippa posted:

For offline mode just go Steam --> Go Offline. Then every time you start Steam it will open with a pop up asking if you want to go online or stay offline. You can stay offline indefinitely with the only catch being that you must have launched a game once in online mode to be able to play it offline.

Stupid Decisions fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 9, 2018

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

havenwaters posted:

If you mean for your friends list you can go into the friends settings (which aren't under regular settings anymore they're under your friend list) and turn "sign into friends when steam client starts" to off.

If you mean for steam itself, you can't always start in offline mode. You have to login at least once previously before you can then restart in offline mode. Steam forces you to do this to check your credentials and needs to refresh that every like week or month or something.

edit: you also could just disable your internet for a moment when you start steam and then re-enable it later but eventually steam will make you login for a bit to check your credentials. The -offline parameter for the steam executable was disabled years ago.

Thanks I must be blind missing that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Digirat posted:

For people not reading the monster hunter thread: Based on reports from the Chinese version which is out now, the game's denuvo implementation or something makes the game unrunnable on any CPU that doesn't support FMA3 instructions. Basically if CPU-Z doesn't list the instruction set, it won't run.

This includes the common i5-2500k and even CPUs over the game's minimum spec. Allegedly this happened to RE7 and was quickly patched, but MHW may not be playable for a lot of people until it's patched. No one here has verified this but be warned.

Just to crosspost, the distributor of the game in China has already announced they've got a fix for this that's going up before their launch, so if it launches with the bug in the rest of the world I don't expect it to last very long.

Still frustrating that it exists at all, obviously.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Been playing Into the Breach again, and probably will be when I'm on MHW break. I haven't had ANY success in like six runs with the flame behemoths, you'd think "burn everything" wouldn't be so hard :(

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Take note of this week's FPSummer entry, because it's extremely indie and extremely good. The developer was nice enough to give me a copy yesterday and I liked it so much I beat it the same day. It's also a current Weeklong Deal for like $3 and change.

:blastu: FPSummer :blastu:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver
15. Blood and Bacon
16. Far Cry 3
17. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
18. BioShock Infinite
19. Prey
20. Call of Juarez Gunslinger
21. Crysis 2
22. Burial At Sea - Episode One (DLC)
23. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
24. Sanctum 2
25. Day One: Garry's Incident
26. Totally Accurate Battlegrounds
27. Shadow Warrior
28. Burial At Sea - Episode Two (DLC)
29. Medal of Honor
30. Overload

31. This Strange Realm Of Mine

Setting a game in the ever-twisting landscape of the mind might seem like a copout to some, and indeed there are plenty of games that squander the opportunity. Journeys through mental constructs can draw from nigh-infinite possibilities, but they still must mean something tangible to the player. This Strange Realm Of Mine gets that, it gets it incredibly well, because each of the pocket worlds you visit has a purpose and a part to play in the overall narrative. It might get a bit lost in all the word salad surrounding the main course, but there’s enough meat to this game to make it worth digging into.

You’re dead, as it so often happens, but death is no end for a beautiful mind such as yours. Emerging from darkened halls of bizarre horrors you find yourself in a tidy tavern, a safe haven within your roiling thoughts. The proprietor, Ulrich, is all too ready to guide you in your journey of self-discovery and doubt. Along the way you’ll meet several important figures across the many realms of your mind, and even befriend them if you’re of a sociable persuasion. Pretty much everything else in your path is there to be shot, and fortunately you have a fine little arsenal of firearms to make that happen with.

It’s important to clarify that TSROM isn’t a first-person shooter in the traditional sense, but rather an adventure (or even walking simulator) with strong FPS elements. The strongest of these is your arsenal, which includes a pistol, uzi, shotgun, and rifle. You’ll generally be limited to just one or two of these per world but each is an absolute joy to fire. The sound is heavy and meaty, the weapon kicks with appreciable force, and your foes crumple into blood-spattered piles after only a round or two. There’s locational damage so aiming high can save you bullets, and a realistic reloading system that discards unspent rounds when changing magazines so you’ll need to count your shots.

The real takeaway is just how gratifying it is to shoot things in this title, despite the emphasis falling on the story and environments. And the environments certainly don’t suffer for the comparison, because each is a colorful and creative slice of dreamscape. You’ll explore dingy streets ruled by ratmen, a Minecraft-esque floating archipelago, a stranded starship, and far stranger places as you progress. Your tasks won’t exclusively be shooting either, as 2D platforming and shmupping will make some welcome appearances. There was one bit in the Minecraft world where I was charged with chopping down eight trees for wood, which was a bit too on the nose for me but immediately after I was sent on another errand that ended far differently than I expected. And my reward was a raft ride down a channel of peering eyes and grasping hands.

While exploring the compact dream worlds to divine their symbolism and murder their less-friendly denizens is a fantastic bit of fun, the actual story parts are a bit of a mixed bag. The game has a strong poetic bent that comes out in the loading scene lyrical quotes and philosophical musings of the characters. Honestly you’re going to get far less story from the NPCs than you are ruminations on the nature of consciousness and the boundaries of the universe. Don’t get me wrong, some of these talks are pretty interesting and even a bit poignant, like the girl who details her social anxieties. But by the end of the game they’ll be prattling on about the heat death of the universe and grappling with one’s ego. I kinda lost interest in the whole narrative side since there was no great denouement of the main character to be had.

It’s not an issue that should distract hugely from your two to three hours of enjoyment given the strength of the game’s other features, so long as you approach it with calibrated expectations. And I strongly suggest you do so, because indie games with this sort of vision and polish are worth their weight in gold (if they weren’t digital downloads). The end result of the creative world-building and solid gunplay feels situated between classic DOOM and Anodyne, and that’s a space I’m very happy to see occupied. This Strange Realm Of Mine has proven to be a true diamond in the rough, a title of surprising depth and quality that nails that all-important fun factor.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Either that or noon eastern, there seems to be some confusion on that point in the discord

It's when people get off work in Europe, though I have no idea if that's the actual reason or even when games are usually released

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Answer seems to be about five minutes from now, in any event. Wonder if it'll go on time, and if it does if Denuvo will be patched.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Download is up. 16.7 gigs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People with affected processors are running it. It’s fixed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/1027589761047785472

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I imagine it'd be smart to throw a link up to whatever Monster Hunter Threads there are, at the top of each page here. Just in case.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Who asked for yet another goddamn launcher? I sure as hell didn't!

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1027570572635660289

quote:

A new tab named the Discord Store will become available to those users—where individual games can be purchased—alongside a suite of free games, which will include the likes of Saints Row: The Third, System Shock Enhanced Edition, Metro: Last Light and Super Meat Boy at launch. The first games on the store comprise Into the Breach, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells and Frostpunk.

The Verge reports the Discord Store won't house the same number of games as, say, Steam, but will instead aim for a "local bookstore" catalogue of staff-picked choices. Likewise, its 'First on Discord' initiative is designed to give users access to 90-day exclusives, and a universal library. Publisher Raw Fury's Bad North will be a launch title for the initiative, arriving on Steam, GOG and other platforms after the exclusivity period ends. Variety says the universal library will allow users to launch any game on their computer via Discord—it sounds similar to how Steam boots up other launchers and games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well at least they built this one into something I already use

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Digirat posted:

People with affected processors are running it. It’s fixed.

Wow I can't believe butthurt pirates would make up hysterical unfounded rumors about DRM like that. Next you're going to tell me that Denuvo doesn't actually destroy your computer, steal your credit card, and shoot your dog.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghostlight posted:

So pumped.

I need to finish my likely doomed playthrough of Pathologic Classic.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE

drat this game looks sick, I hope it comes to PC sooner rather than later.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

There's a thread for this here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865375

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 9, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

Wow I can't believe butthurt pirates would make up hysterical unfounded rumors about DRM like that. Next you're going to tell me that Denuvo doesn't actually destroy your computer, steal your credit card, and shoot your dog.

The Aristocrats!

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
221,767 is currently playing Monster Hunter World: https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah that's a pretty insane number considering it just came out an hour ago in the middle of the day.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

So, I have wishlisted and purchased on launch day every single Zachtronics game since Infinifactory. You'd expect that Steam's all-powerful, increasingly important algorithm would perhaps pay attention to that little factoid, and yet, absolutely nothing hinting towards this game anywhere on the front page. Like, what on Earth is their algorithm good for if it can't pick up something that simple? If I didn't follow this thread, I straight-up would not know this game existed. I'm not, like, angry, I'm just flabbergasted.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pigbuster posted:

So, I have wishlisted and purchased on launch day every single Zachtronics game since Infinifactory. You'd expect that Steam's all-powerful, increasingly important algorithm would perhaps pay attention to that little factoid, and yet, absolutely nothing hinting towards this game anywhere on the front page. Like, what on Earth is their algorithm good for if it can't pick up something that simple? If I didn't follow this thread, I straight-up would not know this game existed. I'm not, like, angry, I'm just flabbergasted.

The thing is, Steam's algorithm has been broken since day one and there's not even a hint of Valve ever trying to fix it. Steam does not care that you missed this game, nor will it ever care.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pigbuster posted:

For what it's worth, they emailed me about it, probably because I preordered the shenzhen io special edition. You could try that if you wanna pay $15 for printed zines. Maybe you'll get email when a new one comes out then.

This one seems even more under-the-radar than usual.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

For what it's worth, they emailed me about it, probably because I preordered the shenzhen io special edition. You could try that if you wanna pay $15 for printed zines. Maybe you'll get email when a new one comes out then.

This one seems even more under-the-radar than usual.

It is possible there's something extra weird with this game for some reason; typing "Exa" in the search bar doesn't even make it show up.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cryohazard posted:

I mean, did anyone even want more Torchlight? Did anyone even finish Torchlight II?

I don't know about anyone else, but the original Torchlight had a very underwhelming final boss fight and ending. I did buy Torchlight II, but the game kept crashing randomly and I think I never got more than an hour or two into it...

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The original Torchlight was very underwhelming full stop. I guess the first hour or two showed promise as the idea of mixing classic Diablo and Fate appealed to me, and there weren't many Diablo-likes around at the time, but the lacklustre powers and loot and dull levels made me feel like I'd had enough long before the final boss.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

It's in Early Access, not released. I don't know about you, but I've turned off all Early Access games from showing up on the front page.

Steam did email me about EXAPUNKS entering Early Access because I had it on my wishlist.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

Who asked for yet another goddamn launcher? I sure as hell didn't!

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1027570572635660289

Not only do most people already use Discord, but at this point more people taking a crack at Steam's market share is only a good thing. Plus it'll include a universal launcher function that will scrape your machine for all available games and do the hard work for you, which will help take the sting out of using "yet another launcher".