Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play "Wrestling Revolution 3D"

It feels depressing to have to sit here and justify why this is a good game. Wrestling Revolution 3D has so much love, detail, and care put into it. It demonstrates a deep love for the art of wrestling, the art of game design, and it hosts a persistent, expansive universe where no one character is the "main" character. It's accessible, cheap, fun, and I enjoy every minute I play it. We're going through the game as a custom wrestler I created, and you can be drat sure we're only leaving when we get a belt.

Videos

1. Wrestling School

2. Maple Leaf Grappling

3. Ending and Epilogue

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
What the hell do you mean MDickie made good games, did something happen to him? :ohdear:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

tomanton posted:

What the hell do you mean MDickie made good games, did something happen to him? :ohdear:

I haven't had a chance to play his latest mobile releases, because I do not own a phone.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Wrestling Revolution 3D for mobile was pretty faithful to the original, I wound up buying all the in-app crap and had a good time.

School Daze (think VERY low-budget Bully) was alright but as always the RNG fucks you over, everyone has a 50/50 chance to hate you (even your family), every event has a 50/50 chance to go bad and torpedo your sanity meter, you inevitably get stuck in a loop of nervous breakdown->fight->suspension and the next thing you know your enemies kill you in your hospital bed. A bit heavy for a school life simulator, but fun in an MDickie sort of way.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

tomanton posted:

Wrestling Revolution 3D for mobile was pretty faithful to the original, I wound up buying all the in-app crap and had a good time.

School Daze (think VERY low-budget Bully) was alright but as always the RNG fucks you over, everyone has a 50/50 chance to hate you (even your family), every event has a 50/50 chance to go bad and torpedo your sanity meter, you inevitably get stuck in a loop of nervous breakdown->fight->suspension and the next thing you know your enemies kill you in your hospital bed. A bit heavy for a school life simulator, but fun in an MDickie sort of way.

That second game you listed sounds like something I might want to pretend doesn't exist.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
As someone who 1) loves wrestling 2) has somehow managed to avoid the various MDickie wrestling game LPs over the years and 3) generally enjoys your LPs, I shall watch this thread.

e: After the actual wrestling going right now, though. :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I loved it when he used the wrestling engine, and the AI, to make games about Jesus and Muhammad.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

frankenfreak posted:

As someone who 1) loves wrestling 2) has somehow managed to avoid the various MDickie wrestling game LPs over the years and 3) generally enjoys your LPs, I shall watch this thread.

e: After the actual wrestling going right now, though. :v:

Let me know how the rl wrestling turns out

SelenicMartian posted:

I loved it when he used the wrestling engine, and the AI, to make games about Jesus and Muhammad.

Yes, that did happen, and the result of removing a wrestling AI's end-goal to pin an opponent was simply an orgy of insane violence

That being said, the wrestling AI is very good in a wrestling game

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Let me know how the rl wrestling turns out
To the shock of pretty much no one, Okada and Tanahashi had a fantastic match together.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How many LPs are you running now? :stare:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

How many LPs are you running now? :stare:

Roughly sixteen.

Life is short and there are too many good games to share

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I've had some fun playing MDickie's wrestling games because of how ridiculous they are, but calling his trainwrecks "good games" is kinda pushing it and the fact he thinks he's God's gift to video game development is equal parts sad and hilarious. That being said, it would be interesting to see what he could do with an actual budget.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Roughly sixteen.
the gently caress

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc M posted:

I've had some fun playing MDickie's wrestling games because of how ridiculous they are, but calling his trainwrecks "good games" is kinda pushing it and the fact he thinks he's God's gift to video game development is equal parts sad and hilarious. That being said, it would be interesting to see what he could do with an actual budget.

It's not as though his wrestling games are ridiculous by accident, and they're mechanically solid in addition to providing unique features no other wrestling game has yet. There's a lot going on to appreciate, and a lot of passion and love. I'd say the positives far outweigh the negatives

PMush Perfect posted:

the gently caress

That was a joke, it's about five

I record a lot of footage at once when I get inspired to share things

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

2. Maple Leaf Grappling

In which we screw everyone over in the best way possible

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I have to admit, I really like how pretty much everyone in the game is a ripoff of an actual person. I don't like how most of them are dead, but that's wrestling for you.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The fake names for these wrestlers are also pretty great at times. I think my favorite is "Bomber Harris" who... I forget who the wrestler in the game represents, but the name is a reference to an obscure Monty Python's Flying Circus sketch where a guy named Colin "Bomber" Harris wrestles himself.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Rusty Rose and his polka dots are a bit too on the nose.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

frankenfreak posted:

Rusty Rose and his polka dots are a bit too on the nose.

Yeah that outfit is much less subtle than most, but at least it's not "Voodoo"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

"and if you're thinking the way I'm playing must be really lovely for ratings, thats because it is"

Oh, cool, so there is actual incentive to "Work" a match rather than just cheese for the win? Also, it seems like the game really doesn't have much interest in "Vanilla" single or tag matches. Or is it because you're a rookie nobody and the promotion just uses you for dumb gimmicks while top card wrestlers tend to get more "normal" matches? Or was that mostly the manager getting you gimmick matches?

I might pick this up, seems like it might be an amusing way to kill time until the NJPW thing for Fire Pro comes out.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"and if you're thinking the way I'm playing must be really lovely for ratings, thats because it is"

Oh, cool, so there is actual incentive to "Work" a match rather than just cheese for the win? Also, it seems like the game really doesn't have much interest in "Vanilla" single or tag matches. Or is it because you're a rookie nobody and the promotion just uses you for dumb gimmicks while top card wrestlers tend to get more "normal" matches? Or was that mostly the manager getting you gimmick matches?

I might pick this up, seems like it might be an amusing way to kill time until the NJPW thing for Fire Pro comes out.

if you have a team-mate and manager, you get more team matches

there are a lot of rating mechanics that you can only see on-screen if you're the one booking the matches on the management side, but they're still there while you're the wrestler- you just can't see the icons

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Pretty soon they're going to be calling this the Young Boy Family.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well I got the game and spent the evening with it. I'm kinda having fun, but I feel like I'm wrestling the controls as much as I am the opponents.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

tomanton posted:

Pretty soon they're going to be calling this the Young Boy Family.

we could easily bust some kneecaps

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well I got the game and spent the evening with it. I'm kinda having fun, but I feel like I'm wrestling the controls as much as I am the opponents.

i never really had issues with the controls, but it does depend on what build you gave you wrestler: more agile wrestlers are way more responsive

A = Attack
S = Grapple
Spacebar = Taunt/Pin
Z = Run
X = Grab Items

i prefer a controller though

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I am using a controller, and a dude with 80% agility. :(

I'm having issues with weird things like figuring out how (or when) I can get up off the ground, weird and seemingly random changes in direction (pushing left on the stick suddenly makes me move right for some reason). Also how does countering work?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am using a controller, and a dude with 80% agility. :(

I'm having issues with weird things like figuring out how (or when) I can get up off the ground, weird and seemingly random changes in direction (pushing left on the stick suddenly makes me move right for some reason). Also how does countering work?

huh, that's really weird, maybe try with a keyboard to see if the issue is the controller/game having issues recognizing the controller?

pressing the run button seems to make your character rise much faster, but how long they take to get up depends on what move they were just hit with and how long they fell, mostly

if you're asking how to break free of a hold or counter an opponents move, any button registers as an attempt to counter or break free, as long as you're mashing it, but whether you're successful mostly depends on your skill points

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

3. Ending and Epilogue

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I can't see Wrestling Revolution and not think of SuperGreatFriend's Bully Demise series, really.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I prefer the 2D sprite version. Mainly for the life and times of NL Slip

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BenRGamer posted:

I can't see Wrestling Revolution and not think of SuperGreatFriend's Bully Demise series, really.

I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Oh, it's not. I loved that series.

• Locked thread