Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gaunab posted:

Bane isn't just a dumb strong guy in the comics, he's basically the evil version of Batman addicted to steriods. I think people pick at the story because even though it's a comic book movie it presents itself as "grounded" in weird ways.

I know he isn't, I've read knightfall. But I still saw him as just being like, IDK, just this brute of a guy, since he still had that same appearance as from Batman & Robin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
My fans speculation for TDKR was since the Nolan films were trying a grimmer, more grounded take on the mythos, so pull the idea that the Feds have had enough of Gotham City's problems. In a few short years we've had terrorist attacks, an attempted/successful chemical weapon/WMD attack, a vigilante dressed as a bat, successful assassinations of political figures, attacks on the wealthiest members of the city, being a hub for international crime, hospital bombings, etc.

Throwing folks like Bane and others in not as terrorists but as a "Pseudo-cide Squad" of DC villains who are, in this iteration, are PMCs, US Special Forces, whatever who are sent in to take over the city because the city has proven incapable of doing any law and order.

It seems like you could keep the idea of a city under occupation, have there be some suspending of the Constitution, mass arrests/detainment without trial of anyone who might have any criminal affiliations, even the arrests of folks like Jim Gordon. It would have been able to carry over some of the themes of Begins and Dark Knight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peeny Cheez posted:

I think mine is "Welp, looks like you lost all your money right around the same time that a notorious international terrorist staged a raid on the stock exchange what a wacky coincidence that we are all just going to take at face value and do nothing about *faaaaaaaarrrt*"

They did specifically mention that they can get the transactions reversed, but it'd take time to sort out the legal shenanigans, at which point Talia had taken advantage to steal the reactor core thingy.

JediTalentAgent posted:

My fans speculation for TDKR was since the Nolan films were trying a grimmer, more grounded take on the mythos, so pull the idea that the Feds have had enough of Gotham City's problems. In a few short years we've had terrorist attacks, an attempted/successful chemical weapon/WMD attack, a vigilante dressed as a bat, successful assassinations of political figures, attacks on the wealthiest members of the city, being a hub for international crime, hospital bombings, etc.

Throwing folks like Bane and others in not as terrorists but as a "Pseudo-cide Squad" of DC villains who are, in this iteration, are PMCs, US Special Forces, whatever who are sent in to take over the city because the city has proven incapable of doing any law and order.

It seems like you could keep the idea of a city under occupation, have there be some suspending of the Constitution, mass arrests/detainment without trial of anyone who might have any criminal affiliations, even the arrests of folks like Jim Gordon. It would have been able to carry over some of the themes of Begins and Dark Knight.

Weirdly enough it seems like they meant to imply that with the 'Dent Act' have suspended parole among other things and overcrowded prisons, but that was basically just to give Bane an army ready to go.

The Joker disappearing makes a funny amount of sense given he was an out and out stateless terrorist, there's no way he's going to Arkham, they bundled him right off to Gitmo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Basebf555 posted:

The Hong Kong sequence is the other really breathtaking scene in the home releases because of the IMAX footage, along with the truck chase, so I definitely wouldn't want to see that cut.

My take is it was Batman going form a local vigilante into an actual superhero

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I really didn't like Ledger's joker and I'm not sure why people are so enamored of it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still like TDK but I think the seams definitely show. I wonder if the backlash against it a few years later was amplified because the response was so uniformly effusive in its praise when it came out (see also: The Force Awakens).

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Joker disappearing makes a funny amount of sense given he was an out and out stateless terrorist, there's no way he's going to Arkham, they bundled him right off to Gitmo.

According tot Nolan, he imagines the Joker as being kept somewhere isolated inside a cell with a single guard outside until he has been completely forgotten. He gave Rudolph Hess as an example, who was the sole occupant of Spandau Prison for decades after all the other war criminals had died off.

I really like that as an epilogue.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I think Cracked did a surprisingly concise takedown of how little sense Bane's occupation of Gotham makes. Given that they declare a malformed state of martial law, all services are suspended for six months, but somehow the city still has power, the streets are clear of garbage and human poo poo, meaning the terrorist organization has actually managed to establish or at least maintain a legitimate system of municipal services.

My IIMM is that Bruce Wayne, a man deeply, psychologically compelled to destroy himself through the delusion that one can fix Gotham by fighting street crime exclusively, fucks right off to Europe immediately after breaking a 6 month terrorist occupation of the city. Street crime would ABSOLUTELY be at it's worst in a city infamously fraught with crime and recovering from a decimated police force and two different regime changes in 6 months. THAT is the time Bruce decides to hang up the cowl, with no guarantee Robin will choose to replace him?

Inconsistent characterization.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

packetmantis posted:

I really didn't like Ledger's joker and I'm not sure why people are so enamored of it.

I liked it well enough but if he was still alive his performance wouldn’t have the reputation it has.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Ledger's Joker a lot but in a way I feel like it was the nail in the coffin for anything but variations on the character that are in that sort of wheelhouse. You probably can't have the Caesar Romero Joker back after it because nobody would take him seriously. The Jack Nicholson Joker was a decent halfway point but I think even that take is considered "too sill" nowadays.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I thought of a cool pitch; Bruce Willis must go back in time to stop his previous-self from making Hudson Hawk. It's if Looper starred Danny Aiello.

Except its Bruce Willis from The Last Boy Scout who goes back to kill Bruce Willis from Hudson Hawk

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

packetmantis posted:

He was serviceable but not amazing, I thought. Romero and Hamill are way better Jokers.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

God Hole posted:

I think Cracked did a surprisingly concise takedown of how little sense Bane's occupation of Gotham makes. Given that they declare a malformed state of martial law, all services are suspended for six months, but somehow the city still has power, the streets are clear of garbage and human poo poo, meaning the terrorist organization has actually managed to establish or at least maintain a legitimate system of municipal services.

My IIMM is that Bruce Wayne, a man deeply, psychologically compelled to destroy himself through the delusion that one can fix Gotham by fighting street crime exclusively, fucks right off to Europe immediately after breaking a 6 month terrorist occupation of the city. Street crime would ABSOLUTELY be at it's worst in a city infamously fraught with crime and recovering from a decimated police force and two different regime changes in 6 months. THAT is the time Bruce decides to hang up the cowl, with no guarantee Robin will choose to replace him?

How about the fact that that one of the world's richest men fakes his death and then is just chilling in Italy without any disguise just so his old butler could spot him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

How about the fact that that one of the world's richest men fakes his death and then is just chilling in Italy without any disguise just so his old butler could spot him.

He was purposely eating there because he knew Alfred would come, he wanted Alfred to see him. They probably made it like their go-to local place to eat just so that he'd be there when Alfred showed up.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What kind of job does fake death Bruce and Selina have going for them? I mean, something's got to pay the bills.

The ending should have been Bruce as Alfred's waiter, serving him his drink. Then going back to the kitchen wher he's shouting at Selina, "No, he didn't give me a huge tip, because I guess that's not the custom here... He could have at least bought the restaurant and given us pay increases! I GUESS THEY DON'T DO THAT HERE IN ITALY, EITHER! I used to do that poo poo all the time and he can't do it just once?! "

"So, you wanted..."

Cut to credit: The Dark Knight Raises.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i reckon rich people have at least a couple of accounts where they stash their money overseas that they can get into in the event that they fake their death or the proletariat finally rise up to devour them

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a Nolan feature. I watched many of his movies in the theater and it was like that. The music in Dunkirk is way too loud.

Hello I am superpilot that glides his plane over the landing beaches, suddenly blacks out for 3 hours, torches his plane (which has landed perfectly on sand), and then is captured by the Germans.

Also, for how impressive the movie was in getting stuff to look good, those Stukas looked like models in every frame of the movie and I was very sad they didn't at least make a mock-up or something.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

He was purposely eating there because he knew Alfred would come, he wanted Alfred to see him. They probably made it like their go-to local place to eat just so that he'd be there when Alfred showed up.

It's not why he was there that's irritating. It's the idiotic idea that a famous billionaire could pretend to be dead but then chum around Northern Italy.

Imagine if Mark Cuban was "killed" in riots and then showed up in Stockholm. People would notice.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hello I am superpilot that glides his plane over the landing beaches, suddenly blacks out for 3 hours, torches his plane (which has landed perfectly on sand), and then is captured by the Germans.

Also, for how impressive the movie was in getting stuff to look good, those Stukas looked like models in every frame of the movie and I was very sad they didn't at least make a mock-up or something.

If we're talking IIMM in Dunkirk it's that Nolan did NOTHING to make modern Northern France look like 1940 Northern France.

For Christ's sake, you can see huge modern container cranes in the background when Hardy is being captured.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's not why he was there that's irritating. It's the idiotic idea that a famous billionaire could pretend to be dead but then chum around Northern Italy.

Imagine if Mark Cuban was "killed" in riots and then showed up in Stockholm. People would notice.

I think you overestimate how exposed europeans are to american psuedo-celebrities. If it weren't for shark tank I would have no idea what Mark Cuban even looked like and I'm an american. And the only reason I ever heard his name before shark tank was when there were rumors of him buying the pittsburgh penguins back in the day and moving them to portland. All I knew he was a rich guy. Maybe an american might have recognized him but what are they going to do, call the swedish police and say "that guy you never heard of in america isn't dead!"?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Who?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

i feel like i would recognize most of them, but i don't think average people know the faces of the parasite class because they've got other poo poo to keep track of

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think you overestimate how exposed europeans are to american psuedo-celebrities. If it weren't for shark tank I would have no idea what Mark Cuban even looked like and I'm an american. And the only reason I ever heard his name before shark tank was when there were rumors of him buying the pittsburgh penguins back in the day and moving them to portland. All I knew he was a rich guy. Maybe an american might have recognized him but what are they going to do, call the swedish police and say "that guy you never heard of in america isn't dead!"?

"Congratulations on seeing someone who looks like someone else, citizen"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was just glad to finally see a movie use the Stuka's dive siren noise appropriately. That thing's like the Wilhelm Scream of airplanes, every loving plane in every loving movie makes that noise when it goes into a dive.

I was pissed to find out that Hardy wouldn't go up in the Yak for filming and shot all his scenes on the ground. I'd have not only been jumping at the chance to go up but deliberately flubbing takes to stay up longer.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

God Hole posted:

But the whole point is that Batman is a terrible thing for the city - what Gotham needs is for him to gently caress off and let the people (which in Nolan's mind means "the good cops") rebuild their city.

All the messaging of that movie is a complete mess, because it's really hard to picture armies of police marching down the street in a positive light, but once you make the leap that the police are meant to symbolise the city and the people (instead of "the state" or "the man") it all kind of makes sense.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Something I never quite got about DKR is what Bane and Talia's endgame was. So, you've taken over Gotham and unleashed a powder keg, isolated it from the rest of the country and now it's burning itself down. Great! You get to destroy the city and broadcasts its sins to the world. Very much in line with what the League of Shadows was made for, good plan.

Okay, so you've also smuggled a nuke into Gotham to blow it up. That's...that's kind of drastic, but maybe you want to be absolutely, positively sure that this city never recovers?

In that case, why not just blow the loving nuke before staging a miniature French revolution? Seriously, the bomb is right there. Maybe you want to keep your brotherhood of assassins a secret, and taking the city hostage with a warhead that later detonates makes for a good cover story. But do you really have to keep the charade going for months? Do you have to sink a football stadium? You could just make a dramatic broadcast saying you've got the nuke and the GCPD better do nothing or it detonates. There, no need for inconvenient tunnels or anything. You can get going right away, maybe blow up the bridges if it gets your engine going.

Stage a revolution or blow everything the gently caress up, but make up your mind. Doing the former and then taking months before getting around to the latter is just buying everybody time to throw a wrench into the wheels, without any potential benefit. And if you can detonate at any point, why blow yourself up along with it? I mean, maybe Bane was suicidal because he was in constant pain and all that, but surely Talia might be of more use alive? There is absolutely no reason for her to be around Gotham at the end of the film, much less drive around with the bomb herself. Was the League just tired of existing? Did they want to retire the whole operation in the most operatic way possible?

This has been bugging me for years, and takes me out of the film every time. If someone could explain what I'm missing here I'd be grateful, because I want to like DKR more than I do. Or maybe it's just Goyer writing the script, since I had the same issues with Star Trek: Into Darkness when Khan's men were smuggled into torpedo's. Like, in what world are these logical or easy solutions?

The League of Shadows is all about theatricality and dramatic gestures. Batman could easily sneak up on people and quietly knock them out, instead of dropping down from the ceiling like he's in his own private horror movie. Scarecrow could have put cyanide in the water supply, instead of magic crazy-juice. But then they wouldn't be making an example of their victims.

It's the same reason he throws Bruce into the well-prison. It's not enough just to destroy him/gotham, it needs to be absolutely crushed. He wants to dangle hope and salvation in front of them until their tear themselves apart out of desperation. THEN he'll kill them. I've no idea if they were intending to blow themselves up with Gotham, at least until Batman threatened to scupper the whole thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the had to give bane the bomb plot or else he's just the good guy and that wouldn't make much sense i guess

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Pook Good Mook posted:

If we're talking IIMM in Dunkirk it's that Nolan did NOTHING to make modern Northern France look like 1940 Northern France.

For Christ's sake, you can see huge modern container cranes in the background when Hardy is being captured.

Pictured: A town bombed to hell in WWII

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Serf posted:

i feel like i would recognize most of them, but i don't think average people know the faces of the parasite class because they've got other poo poo to keep track of

It only takes one rich American tourist to notice. Now if he was hiding out in like, Kyrgyzstan it might be a different story.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

It only takes one rich American tourist to notice. Now if he was hiding out in like, Kyrgyzstan it might be a different story.

Let's say they did notice. What are they going to do? The local police aren't going to do anything, especially if they are being paid off, and would the american government really spend the time, money and effort to try and extradite a supposedly dead rich guy? I doubt it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

I was just glad to finally see a movie use the Stuka's dive siren noise appropriately. That thing's like the Wilhelm Scream of airplanes, every loving plane in every loving movie makes that noise when it goes into a dive.

I was pissed to find out that Hardy wouldn't go up in the Yak for filming and shot all his scenes on the ground. I'd have not only been jumping at the chance to go up but deliberately flubbing takes to stay up longer.

The most irritating part for me was how they do a good job with the stuka siren but give some 40mm auto-cannon belching out the dorsal turret of the not-He-111.

He's got an MG-15 in there, boyos, and its still dangerous, we don't need to play this up. Like, Battle of Britain put Dunkirk to shame with that.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Let's say they did notice. What are they going to do? The local police aren't going to do anything, especially if they are being paid off, and would the american government really spend the time, money and effort to try and extradite a supposedly dead rich guy? I doubt it.

Why is everyone being so dense about this when things like TMZ exist?

No one is talking about the government caring, but it would be big loving news if a very famous billionaire who everyone thought was killed in riots suddenly shows up in Florence.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The original mythos kinda had Bruce Wayne as a billionaire playboy famous by name but not recognizable - the original Batman movie had Michael Keaton loving with Kim Basinger for a while at "Bruce's" party before she realized it was him, and she is literally a photojournalist. If she doesn't recognize the face of the host of the fundraiser she's covering, it's safe to assume the guy likes his privacy.

It doesn't work nearly as well in the Nolan trilogy where he's also going out of his way to show off about town as a drunk rear end in a top hat playboy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Uh, you take a picture of Batman in a restaurant and post it on Instagram and Twitter so millions of people will start liking and subscribing to your content and brand.

Also, this relatively low budget movie called Atonement has like a million times better production value than Dunkirk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Aug 10, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think the diner scene at the end is stupid too. However, I imagine people probably thought that Bruce Wayne was one of the first people that Scarecrow's court would have executed. People probably thought that Bruce Wayne was dead for months. So if anyone said he was still alive, it might be regarded as an Elvis sighting. (I also feel like Bruce Wanye would be seen as an Elon Musk type, considering he put on that whole playboy lifestyle front and center to make it implausible that he was Batman).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Uh, you take a picture of Batman in a restaurant and post it on Instagram and Twitter so millions of people will start liking and subscribing to your content and brand.

Which means absolutely nothing to the person hiding. They'd just change locations if that ever happened.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Pook Good Mook posted:

Why is everyone being so dense about this when things like TMZ exist?

No one is talking about the government caring, but it would be big loving news if a very famous billionaire who everyone thought was killed in riots suddenly shows up in Florence.

"Mr. Wayne! Mr. Wayne! Why did you fake your death and abandon Gotham again? What do think about Batman sacrqficing himself? And who's that on your arm? Mr. Wayne, where are you going?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Anyway, irrationally irritating movie moment: In almost every alien invasion movie, someone takes the time to ask "who are they, why are they doing this". That is 100% irrelevant, they are showing you what they intend to do. It's like an ant wondering what I'm doing and why when I approach their nest with a pot of boiling water. Stop trying to understand and run.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

food court bailiff posted:

It doesn't work nearly as well in the Nolan trilogy where he's also going out of his way to show off about town as a drunk rear end in a top hat playboy.

And making the tabloids to boot, like when he took off with the entire Russian ballet or whatever that was.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

One of the YouTube channels that I happily subscribe to did a whole episode about Dunkirk just this week and raises some similar points to the IIM.

https://youtu.be/FwdFurGVd9g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah that's where I saw the Atonement thing. I remember seeing Atonement when it had all the Oscar buzz but didn't realize it looked that much better than Dunkirk.