Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Gwent only works as a single player thing because you can pretty much use the same strategy over and over, which is spies, decoys and medics. The only hard part is that gwent tournament is rear end in a top hat elf who punches you into a game-over screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gwent is all about synergy, even the real MP version of it has often been all about finding the chance to do your "Suck my diiiiiick" combos to definitively take rounds.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

is gwent fully ignorable like caravan was?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Yakuza 0 is the crashiest game I've played for years. It's lucky it's so good because I wouldn't have the patience with many game to diagnose a new problem every time I want to play. It's not like I've stuffed it full of mods like with Fallout.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Brother Entropy posted:

Yes. I played a single game of it before never touching it again at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brother Entropy posted:

It’s not AS ignorable, since I think it has some side quests attached. Caravan was just kind of there if you wanted to gamble.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the sequel there no Mary Sue Backers around, and your character is special because of their pre-existing reputation as a lord whose castle got stepped on.

The Dragon Age games are kind of mixed in this. In the first you are only special because you got recruited by the wardens and then the rest got murdered. The second game you are a loving nobody living in poverty until you hit a motherlode at the end of act 1 and become rich enough everyone involves you in politics. The third game however goes all in on you being a new messiah figure with special game mechanics.

If Bioware lasts long enough to make a Dragon Age 4, the plot is basically ready for you to be a random new inquisition agent stumbling into the plot, nothing special about you.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Also Yakuza 0 one of the optional objectives is to win a game of Shogi. Fine.

The 'beginner' opponent is like loving Deep Blue. Make a mistake and you are hosed. So fun when learning a new game.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Walton Simons posted:

Also Yakuza 0 one of the optional objectives is to win a game of Shogi. Fine.

The 'beginner' opponent is like loving Deep Blue. Make a mistake and you are hosed. So fun when learning a new game.

What, you're not Japanese and don't already know how to play shogi due to living in a country where it's a popular game? gently caress you!

See also: exams in Persona games

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The exams in Persona are just retreads of the classes you took, and most of those are either trick questions or common knowledge.

Also, Shogi and Mahjong, much like most of Yak0 are completely optional. You're punishing yourself for no reward.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PubicMice posted:

What, you're not Japanese and don't already know how to play shogi due to living in a country where it's a popular game? gently caress you!

It reminds me of when somebody convinced me to watch Summer Wars on the grounds that it was one of those animes that even non-anime fans can enjoy and then the climax of the movie is a magic catgirl playing a game of Hanafuda with zero explanation of how the game works :suicide:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Guy Mann posted:

It reminds me of when somebody convinced me to watch Summer Wars on the grounds that it was one of those animes that even non-anime fans can enjoy and then the climax of the movie is a magic catgirl playing a game of Hanafuda with zero explanation of how the game works :suicide:

I'm pretty sure you just yell KOI KOI and win.

But I remember Persona 5 having a question about Shogi and Persona 4 asks you what the best time to break into houses in Japan is. Which means nothing to this baka gaijin.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
That smug hustling darts playing gently caress in the bar who I can't hit with a bicycle is dragging down Yak0

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Glad I ignored Gwent entirely.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

I have 500 hours in New Vegas and never bothered to get the achievement for playing caravan.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rodbeard posted:

I have 500 hours in New Vegas and never bothered to get the achievement for playing caravan.

you and me both dog

i'm sure they're perfectly fine card games but it's the kind of thing where like, these games are goddamn huge enough timesinks as it is

kinda the same deal with blitzball

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
But blitzball is good and fun.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The only card game I've enjoyed in a game is ff8 Triple Triad.

Then ff9 card game was awful.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
My favorite thing about caravan in New Vegas was one of the potential players was some dumb old leathery shopkeeper in an early town and when you challenged him he replies "you think you got what it takes kid?" in this super grim voice that's totally different from how he usually sounds.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CordlessPen posted:

I'm playing Destiny 2 and, to be honest, I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would and am starting to consider buying the FULL-GAME-PRICED expension coming out soon, but man are there some questionable mechanics in there...

I'm actually having a lot of fun with harder missions and I'm realizing that the game can sometimes be more than just a skinner box, but they really went with quantity over quality for some of the content.
Destiny 2 is not a game of quality. They made a new engine promising it would give us faster, more frequent updates. Turns it it takes them roughly twelve hours to load up any content to edit it. So we got almost no updates and maybe like four? patches over the course of the game's first year. Last time I played there were still bugs from release day present. Nothing gets fixed and unless it affects their cash-shop profits bungie just doesn't give a gently caress. They hosed with EXP rates twice to make the grind slower because people were earning Bright Engrams (prizes that give you cash shop items) too fast, once to literally halve the amount of EXP you gained and once to just straight up double the amount of EXP you needed to get one. Both of the previous expansions were hot loving garbage and added more cash-shop items than in-game items.

Of the two events we get regularly, Iron Banner and Faction Rally, their main goal with Faction Rally just seems to be making it as tedious and unfun of a grind as humanly possible while limited the rewards as much as they possibly can, and when it comes to iron banner? PVP is just such hot garbage in Destiny 2 the only way they managed to make it worse was by introducing a twenty dollar or so emote related to the event you couldn't earn any way but straight up buying it. They even managed to ruin one of the most fun aspects of the first game, which was the fashion. It was great being able to mix and match armor sets and swap out your shaders constantly for fun. But now there's like, maybe ten unique armor sets and half of those have like two reskins each. Even the raid armors are already being reskinned for other raid armors. So many of the armor sets, too, have huge ugly chunks that don't apply shaders for absolutely no reason, which makes playing the fashion game pointless because no matter what you do you're going to have to pick a color that goes well with the ridiculous gold, white or grey blobs smashed onto your armor. On top of that, shaders are garbage now. Like that cool, hard to find one? Well gently caress you, because they're individual items now and if you want to paint your whole armor set you need five and it costs an annoying amount of glimmer to apply them. Most of them are hidden behind the cash shop, anyway. I played the game for a drat year and only ever got like three copies of some shaders because of this.

The shooting's fine. But bosses generally suck. Almost every boss in the game has awful invincibility phase mechanics where you shoot them for like two seconds, then they go invincible for a while and you stick your thumb up your rear end and wait until the game says you can shoot them again. After a few repeats the strikes and even raids just stop being fun because the bosses are such garbage. They straight up had to remove one from the roulette because almost no one would ever play it, they'd just warp straight out if it came up. But the gunplay is about where the fun ends because grenades, melee skills and supers take so long to charge and do so little damage there's barely any point to using them over your primary weapon, or a rocket launcher and most exotic armors suck so there's like two or three for each class that are worth using and the rest are just shards.

Like, the game had a lot of potential. But the devs just don't give a gently caress and waited a drat year to even begin addressing any of the major issues people had been bringing up every day since the beta and when they did, they barely even addressed any of the actual feedback they got and instead just vomited out crazy. What's that, people wanted the old and good weapon system back? Well now you can equip anything anywhere! People wanted the classes to be balanced and not suck? More classes instead! People wanted less emphasis on the eververse and a shift back to the old style of shaders? gently caress you! More seasonal events than ever!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Symphonia kinda subverted it in that you start out helping the Chosen One, daughter of angels, do their Chosen Thing but in the end it turns out they were never special and just picked randomly to keep a dumb cycle going. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong and there was still some kind of genuine Chosen Oneness there somewhere.

Something like that? Wasn't it that the chosen ones were entirely manufactured or something?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The whole Chosen One thing is why I like the plot of Final Fantasy X. Like everyone is so consigned to the religious martyr sacrifice and blah blah, then eventually the party decides that sucks rear end and the new plan they come up with is to just kill it normally. And it works because whoops nobody actually tried that because everyone was too into the religious jesus metaphor and nobody thought to just shoot it in the face.

It wasnt even close to a perfect game but I love stuff that subverts chosen one prophecies :unsmith: I also love Morrowind where the prophecy isnt a prediction, but more akin to an instruction manual.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Danaru posted:

The whole Chosen One thing is why I like the plot of Final Fantasy X. Like everyone is so consigned to the religious martyr sacrifice and blah blah, then eventually the party decides that sucks rear end and the new plan they come up with is to just kill it normally. And it works because whoops nobody actually tried that because everyone was too into the religious jesus metaphor and nobody thought to just shoot it in the face.

It wasnt even close to a perfect game but I love stuff that subverts chosen one prophecies :unsmith: I also love Morrowind where the prophecy isnt a prediction, but more akin to an instruction manual.

I also liked how there were a few different Chosen Ones in ff10. Yuna was just the one rolling with the best entourage that carried her rear end.

I'm still sad we never got a prequel about Jecht, Auron and Braska. The three fuckups who saved the world.

The last Bards Tale had fun with the Chosen One as well. You'd keep running into other chosen ones and they were usually dead. Then some Oompla Loompa guys would come song about it to you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Len posted:

But I remember Persona 5 having a question about Shogi and Persona 4 asks you what the best time to break into houses in Japan is. Which means nothing to this baka gaijin.

The Japanese version of Yakuza 3 has a trivia minigame that's supposed to be pretty much all that poo poo but Sega didn't bother to translate it because this was before the Yakuza series got popular in America and so they were being cheap and also they decided they didn't want to go through the effort of translating a game that nobody would actually be able to win.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

Bethesda just announced that the PC release of Fallout 76 is only going to be on their proprietary download platform so I hope all the people who complain about how Steam is worse than Hitler now are looking forward to having to go through this rigmarole for every major AAA title from now on.

I gave Blizzard a pass on using their own thing because I've been on Battle.net for ~20 years, any other company that expects me to do that can get hosed.

rodbeard posted:

Luckily, I got all of the Caravan achievements in my first playthrough in a super old version of New Vegas before they patched a functional AI into Caravan.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To this day I still do not know what Caravan really is, after 800+ hours of playing the game

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Something like that? Wasn't it that the chosen ones were entirely manufactured or something?

IIRC they'd just pick some random newborn and give it one of those uh... exspheres? The rocks you get skills from. Normal people couldn't get them since they were mined by slaves for the angels, so as far as people knew the powers people got from it just meant they were the Chosen.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

A lot of personas questions in class have to do with obscure Japanese poo poo. Like a kind of Japanese poem, some historical Japanese figure, even one about a kanji or something if I remember right. I always just look them up because eff that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

in fairness to persona 5 it gave you that 'what percentage of players made which choice' feature which trivialized most of the quiz stuff if you wanted to do so

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

you absolutely do not need to understand how koi koi plays in order to enjoy summer wars

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Persona tells you what the right answer is to questions asked in class, it's just a matter of remembering or writing them down to be ready for the exams.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

PubicMice posted:

The game was made by Canadians

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Len posted:

The last Bards Tale had fun with the Chosen One as well. You'd keep running into other chosen ones and they were usually dead. Then some Oompla Loompa guys would come song about it to you.

Dark souls has you find starting class gear on corpses throughout the world. You pick it up, jam it in the bag with all the other crap you've stolen and carry on. Some of the characters talk to you about all the other ones who tried before you

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

A lot of personas questions in class have to do with obscure Japanese poo poo. Like a kind of Japanese poem, some historical Japanese figure, even one about a kanji or something if I remember right. I always just look them up because eff that.

Requiring specific cultural knowledge isn't exclusive to Persona or even Japanese games, Lesuire Suit Larry had some age gating questions that were very US centric like :

quote:

Thomas Eagleton was dropped from the 1972 Democratic National Ticket when knowledge of his previous _____ treatments became known.

quote:

Kookie's address was?

quote:

It is customary to tip about x%

quote:

A W-4 is?

And personally as a non-american I'd rather they keep the original cultures niche knowledge than changing it to some other foreign one when translating a work.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Most Americans probably don't even know who Eagleton or Kookie are, and nobody can agree about whether tipping should even exist. What the gently caress, Larry?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Schubalts posted:

Most Americans probably don't even know who Eagleton or Kookie are, and nobody can agree about whether tipping should even exist. What the gently caress, Larry?

I mean it shouldn't but since places don't have to pay serving staff real wages it's a necessary evil.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I too didn’t bother with Caravan in Fallout: New Vegas even though I kept buying cards for it. I think something about the tutorial being a bunch of text in your Pipboy rubbed me the wrong way, especially since the Pipboy isn’t made for extensive reading. And lord knows I was prepared for dumb poo poo, because I did end up using a silenced pistol to kill Deathclaws and timebombs to kill Cazadores. You just need to land the killing blow with those weapons for the challenge to count, but uh, I wasn’t taking any chances...

Gitro
May 29, 2013
At one point I learned Caravan and it was OK I think? I have very vague memories of not hating it once I had a grasp on the rules.

There's columns and you put cards in them to get numbers and you make your numbers be big (not too big tho) and if the AI gets too many of the best numbers before you do you lose. You can play aces and poo poo to gently caress with all the numbers too. Like competitive blackjack but with trap cards.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Destiny 2 is not a game of quality. They made a new engine promising it would give us faster, more frequent updates. Turns it it takes them roughly twelve hours to load up any content to edit it. So we got almost no updates and maybe like four? patches over the course of the game's first year. Last time I played there were still bugs from release day present. Nothing gets fixed and unless it affects their cash-shop profits bungie just doesn't give a gently caress. They hosed with EXP rates twice to make the grind slower because people were earning Bright Engrams (prizes that give you cash shop items) too fast, once to literally halve the amount of EXP you gained and once to just straight up double the amount of EXP you needed to get one. Both of the previous expansions were hot loving garbage and added more cash-shop items than in-game items.

Of the two events we get regularly, Iron Banner and Faction Rally, their main goal with Faction Rally just seems to be making it as tedious and unfun of a grind as humanly possible while limited the rewards as much as they possibly can, and when it comes to iron banner? PVP is just such hot garbage in Destiny 2 the only way they managed to make it worse was by introducing a twenty dollar or so emote related to the event you couldn't earn any way but straight up buying it. They even managed to ruin one of the most fun aspects of the first game, which was the fashion. It was great being able to mix and match armor sets and swap out your shaders constantly for fun. But now there's like, maybe ten unique armor sets and half of those have like two reskins each. Even the raid armors are already being reskinned for other raid armors. So many of the armor sets, too, have huge ugly chunks that don't apply shaders for absolutely no reason, which makes playing the fashion game pointless because no matter what you do you're going to have to pick a color that goes well with the ridiculous gold, white or grey blobs smashed onto your armor. On top of that, shaders are garbage now. Like that cool, hard to find one? Well gently caress you, because they're individual items now and if you want to paint your whole armor set you need five and it costs an annoying amount of glimmer to apply them. Most of them are hidden behind the cash shop, anyway. I played the game for a drat year and only ever got like three copies of some shaders because of this.

The shooting's fine. But bosses generally suck. Almost every boss in the game has awful invincibility phase mechanics where you shoot them for like two seconds, then they go invincible for a while and you stick your thumb up your rear end and wait until the game says you can shoot them again. After a few repeats the strikes and even raids just stop being fun because the bosses are such garbage. They straight up had to remove one from the roulette because almost no one would ever play it, they'd just warp straight out if it came up. But the gunplay is about where the fun ends because grenades, melee skills and supers take so long to charge and do so little damage there's barely any point to using them over your primary weapon, or a rocket launcher and most exotic armors suck so there's like two or three for each class that are worth using and the rest are just shards.

Like, the game had a lot of potential. But the devs just don't give a gently caress and waited a drat year to even begin addressing any of the major issues people had been bringing up every day since the beta and when they did, they barely even addressed any of the actual feedback they got and instead just vomited out crazy. What's that, people wanted the old and good weapon system back? Well now you can equip anything anywhere! People wanted the classes to be balanced and not suck? More classes instead! People wanted less emphasis on the eververse and a shift back to the old style of shaders? gently caress you! More seasonal events than ever!

The more I read about Destiny 2 the more I believe that they only ever wanted to make 1 Destiny game and are consciously doing a poo poo job on their contracted sequels

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

In caravan you have 6 stacks of cards and you need to play your cards and get 3 of the stacks to add up to 26 before your opponent. The game suffers from a really bad glitch where you can keep discarding trash cards so you end up with cards that will get you to 26 in a minimum number of moves. It removes all strategy from the game and also you don't even have to know what the other cards do because you will never ever play them. The point of the game at this point is an exploit to make a poo poo load of caps, but honestly you can just cheat in a bunch of caps or whatever using the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I got Destiny 2 in a humble bundle. I played the campaign. I did some of the multiplayer. The game is a sexless, bloodless work laced with low-calibre Joss "Cheats-On-Wife" Whedon quips. I can't parse why anyone would return to this game on a regular basis. Warframe unloads a new game-mechanic every six months, Souls invites you to replay with a different character, Destiny just has the same guns but with higher numbers attached as an incentive.