Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Shadow225 posted:

PSA / throwback because I think I read it in this thread: using a 128 GB card in your 3DS makes it move like molasses. I thought that I bricked mine because it was taking like two minutes to to boot up.

Two actual questions:
1. What SNES and GBA emulators do people suggest using on it?
2. Where would I store the .cia files in order to install them to the system? Can I make a folder on the SD card without breaking anything?

For 2, yes also once something is installed you can remove the .cia file off the sd card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

PSA / throwback because I think I read it in this thread: using a 128 GB card in your 3DS makes it move like molasses. I thought that I bricked mine because it was taking like two minutes to to boot up.

I recently picked up a 128gb and it felt the same as the 32gb I was using previously. The only problem I had was the file system randomly getting corrupted and having to reformat it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

havenwaters posted:

For 2, yes also once something is installed you can remove the .cia file off the sd card.

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

dad on the rag posted:

I recently picked up a 128gb and it felt the same as the 32gb I was using previously. The only problem I had was the file system randomly getting corrupted and having to reformat it.

Really, wow. I wonder what is causing mine to boot up so slowly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Using SD cards bigger than 32 gigs is "here be dragons" territory with the 3DS. Results can be unpredictable.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Really, wow. I wonder what is causing mine to boot up so slowly.

Seems like the larger the capacity the slower the boot according to gbatemp and reddit. :shrug:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Maybe switch to a smaller card? I have way more poo poo then I need to have installed and I still have 7 gigs free on a 32 gig card.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Shutting down freeshop just removes the ability to steal directly from CDN, right? All that poo poo will just move back to cia sharing sites. Kinda weird they decided to do this so late into the console lifespan and it only makes piracy slightly more inconvenient.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Crackbone posted:

Shutting down freeshop just removes the ability to steal directly from CDN, right? All that poo poo will just move back to cia sharing sites. Kinda weird they decided to do this so late into the console lifespan and it only makes piracy slightly more inconvenient.

Well they have started threatening rom sites with legal action and got one of the largest ones spooked enough to shut down. Securing the CDN isn't the only thing that they're doing.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

havenwaters posted:

Well they have started threatening rom sites with legal action and got one of the largest ones spooked enough to shut down. Securing the CDN isn't the only thing that they're doing.

That gives me hope that they are planning to offer a larger selection of the back catalog when the online service launches. Most people will pay the 3-5 bucks for the VC title they love over having to pirate it if given the option. Emulators and ROMS haven't stopped the success of the mini line whatsoever, people aren't thieves by default.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It also might stop DLC downloads for stuff that was never released on cartridge.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Crackbone posted:

They originally developed the system for the Switch and just backported it to the 3DS. It's not like it took a ton of effort.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

zer0spunk posted:

That gives me hope that they are planning to offer a larger selection of the back catalog when the online service launches.

Hahahahaha no they won't.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

zer0spunk posted:

That gives me hope that they are planning to offer a larger selection of the back catalog when the online service launches.

Oh, honey.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zer0spunk posted:

lmao

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
YMMV with the SD cards, but with my almost full 64gb it also seems to load for quite a while in home screen so it might just be the amount of stuff you have there

For GBA you can inject roms to the official virtual console emulator.

For SNES Snes9x worked for me, at least I completed Super Metroid without issues.

You can create a folder for cias without any issues

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Just ordered custom D-pad joycons for when I do eventually hack my switch with ebay coupon code PRONTO15 for 15% off, brought it down to $80. not too shabby considering I sold my old grey joycon for $55.

These will soon be mine. Oh yes.

Just a word of advice. Don't bother doing it to the right Joycon. I noticed during intense Mario Kart sessions that it would randomly pause and the right Joycon mod was the culprit.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I replaced the Joycon casings the plus button on my right Joycon wouldn’t work reliably, I had to go back in and reseat the ribbon connectors and then it worked. I still don’t think the home button feels exactly right when I press it, but it works fine so I’ve left it as is.

It took me about three hours to do it, all said and done, and while I’m ultimately really happy with my Atomic Purple Switch I’m not in any rush to change the casings on my other two joycons.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I didn't see anyone else mention it but Sharkive came out...Luma 9.1 (I'm guessing most of you have updated) has Gateshark support but you'd have to manually place it in a folder and all that.

I was too lazy for the NTR method and I was still too lazy for the titleid folder manual thing..but that utility will just create a list of titles and check to see if any cheats exist for them. If they do you can automatically have it copy over to the proper folder on the SD and then all you have to do is enable rosalina in game and you're golden.

Some things to note- Sharkive will only show titles that you've run and saved in at least once. It won't refresh so you'll need to go in and delete titles.sha from the Sharkive folder to retrigger a new title scan.

That scan will also take a hot minute where you'll assume the app is frozen. Let it chill and you'll be fine.

You might also find some codes aren't continuous (I've only tried it on one GB VC title I own and have beaten a million times and haven't had any issue but who knows). Apparently, the way luma is doing this means the code itself is run once rather then all the time..a fix for allowing the code to continue to run is in the nightly and will most likely be in whatever the stable is called (9.2?)

So uh YMMV? But it's pretty easy to use compared to the last 2 methods of going about it.

TLDR:

Update to Luma 9.1
Install Sharkive
Run Sharkive, wait for it to populate list.
Navigate to title you want to cheat in *
If cheat is available on DB, hit A to copy to SD.
Launch game
Hit L Down Select to bring up rosalina and enter the cheat menu.
* game not showing up? see above post

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 11, 2018

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Here's a PSA: the Wii power brick has a surge protector built into it. If your Wii dies and receives no power, unplug it for two minutes (both from power and the Wii) before plugging it back in. It has to be AT LEAST TWO MINUTES. This resets the brick and flips the switch.

I was super concerned I lost a dope rear end hacked Wii for like no reason after a surge. :ohdear:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I want to have an emulator set up for my collection of NES roms. I'm trying retroarch but it seems like kind of a mess. Anyone have a decent guide for getting it set up properly, or a simpler alternative if I JUST want to emulate NES games and nothing else?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Breadallelogram posted:

I want to have an emulator set up for my collection of NES roms. I'm trying retroarch but it seems like kind of a mess. Anyone have a decent guide for getting it set up properly, or a simpler alternative if I JUST want to emulate NES games and nothing else?

NES Classic?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Oops, left out a crucial detail: on the Wii U.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Breadallelogram posted:

Oops, left out a crucial detail: on the Wii U.

FCEU GX, I believe. At least it works wonderfully for the Wii. Have a channel and everything.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If I wanna make my own amiibo, all I need is my S8 and a bunch of Ntag215 stickers, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You also need to find a version of the tagmo app that works on your phone.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Or a hacked nu3DS

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Just to be clear with security measures ramping up from Nintendo recently: if I have a switch that is capable of shorting the pins to access homebrew, that’ll basically always be an option no matter what Nintendo does with software updates, right? So updating doesn’t matter and in the future should I want to play around with homebrew stuff I could just get a second console, system transfer my saves and poo poo over so I can play smash on my still clean account, then use the original one for homebrew?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize that you could use a homebrewed 3DS to dump 3DS carts. I'm gonna dump my entire collection. I'm gonna need a new hard drive!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WilliamAnderson posted:

Or a hacked nu3DS

Go on

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Wrist Watch posted:

Just to be clear with security measures ramping up from Nintendo recently: if I have a switch that is capable of shorting the pins to access homebrew, that’ll basically always be an option no matter what Nintendo does with software updates, right? So updating doesn’t matter and in the future should I want to play around with homebrew stuff I could just get a second console, system transfer my saves and poo poo over so I can play smash on my still clean account, then use the original one for homebrew?

Shorting the pins just puts the switch into maintenance mode. It's going to be there until a major hardware revision where Nintendo adds a different method. The exploit takes full control of the system via a usb exploit reachable once the system is in maintenance mode.

I don't know exactly how to check whether a switch still has the exploit available though

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wrist Watch posted:

if I have a switch that is capable of shorting the pins to access homebrew, that’ll basically always be an option no matter what Nintendo does with software updates, right?

Software, yes. Hardware, no.

There are reports of Nintendo swapping out the SOC for a hardware-patched one when people send their Switches in for repairs so I'd be wary on that front but to the best of my knowledge as long as the device doesn't enter Nintendo's possession they don't have any over-the-air means of closing that hole.

Ohtsam posted:

I don't know exactly how to check whether a switch still has the exploit available though

These people are trying to track and deduce patched Switches via serial number. They've at least identified safe ranges which definitely aren't patched.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/beta-thenaya-tagmo-for-3ds.475870/

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Yeah, it's this.

Here's a picture of one of my fake amiibos.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nice, poo poo's cool and good.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ohtsam posted:

Shorting the pins just puts the switch into maintenance mode. It's going to be there until a major hardware revision where Nintendo adds a different method. The exploit takes full control of the system via a usb exploit reachable once the system is in maintenance mode.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Software, yes. Hardware, no.

There are reports of Nintendo swapping out the SOC for a hardware-patched one when people send their Switches in for repairs so I'd be wary on that front but to the best of my knowledge as long as the device doesn't enter Nintendo's possession they don't have any over-the-air means of closing that hole.

Gotcha, thanks. I don’t follow the homebrew scene very closely beyond this thread and just wanted to be sure. I guess I’ll try to pick up a second console sooner rather than later to hopefully minimize chances of something going screwy and needing to send it in for repairs.

Also I got mine back in the beginning of January, just before the news of the exploit arrived so I’m fairly confident my console has the old chip.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

WilliamAnderson posted:

Yeah, it's this.

Here's a picture of one of my fake amiibos.

I just wrote in sharpie what they were on the nonsticky side of the tags.

For like, half of them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm using USB Loader GX on my Wii and it doesn't recognize my USB stick. It's FAT32 with game name [game ID] folders. I've tried it in both USB ports through multiple reboots, is it unusable? It's a ten dollar microcenter thumb drive so I wouldn't be terribly surprised. Is there a recommended drive?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cloks posted:

I'm using USB Loader GX on my Wii and it doesn't recognize my USB stick. It's FAT32 with game name [game ID] folders. I've tried it in both USB ports through multiple reboots, is it unusable? It's a ten dollar microcenter thumb drive so I wouldn't be terribly surprised. Is there a recommended drive?

Do you have Nintendont? If so, does it recognize the drive?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

USB Loader GX is kind of weird with flash drives. I had one working and it suddenly decided to start freezing. I have had much better luck with hard drives with Y cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you have Nintendont? If so, does it recognize the drive?

I don't, I think I'm just going to get an external HDD.