Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
I've recently tried wood elves, and also sieges against wood elves. It might be the most boring faction.

As a player, wood elves are hard to expand with due to the amber mechanic + outpost system. So you are basically reduced to either going horde-style or gambling on alliances being dependable on amber supply.

At the same time, wood elves are definitely the most OP campaign army. Due to supply limits, the most important criteria is how many elite troops can you gather into one 20 unit stack. Playing against wood-elves is super hard as most of their units will have long ranged armor piercing missiles with better speed and similar melee stats as you cavalry.

You might think that this combination could make for an interesting new race, but there is really just downsides on playing as and against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

toasterwarrior posted:

I've said this before here but one of my biggest issues with the TW engine is unit incohesion not being punished enough. I'm not sure if the solution is to improve a unit's ability to maintain cohesion (and force this in combat so models will actively stick together), or make it so that extremely messy tactics gets you punished.

I can see how this would be extremely hard to balance though. For example, stretching a unit wide and having it envelop a mass of units is a legit tactic, but it should break very quickly if the envelopment fails and the unit ends up having its models too far from one another because one portion got smashed or whatever.

I know what you mean but I can see cohesion fuckery becoming a gameplay lynchpin if you went too far. If random models in a unit didn't get locked into combat when the rest moved off and instead were killed or GTFOed there might not be such a problem with it in the first place. I think models freeze or something as the game figures out whether they should be moving or interacting with combatants.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hhhmmm posted:

I've recently tried wood elves, and also sieges against wood elves. It might be the most boring faction.

As a player, wood elves are hard to expand with due to the amber mechanic + outpost system. So you are basically reduced to either going horde-style or gambling on alliances being dependable on amber supply.

At the same time, wood elves are definitely the most OP campaign army. Due to supply limits, the most important criteria is how many elite troops can you gather into one 20 unit stack. Playing against wood-elves is super hard as most of their units will have long ranged armor piercing missiles with better speed and similar melee stats as you cavalry.

You might think that this combination could make for an interesting new race, but there is really just downsides on playing as and against

Unmodded wood elves campaigns are absolutely miserable in ME

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

hhhmmm posted:

Naval combat was the worst thing about shogun 2.

Instead of interesting land battles, you had a benny hill-themed chase between ships and enemy land troops trying to land behind your frontline. So the end game didn't have many interesting land battles as enemy troops were superbusy trying to do weird naval stuff.

While all actual naval battles were super favorably in the players favor, as the ship AI were really poor.

I would pay extra money for my existing shogun 2 copy if they just removed naval everything.

Naval battles in Fall of the Samurai are real fun because they have cannons and real boats, so I bet Warhammer could be cool

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Hunt11 posted:

Boat combat could be cool, but it would be a hot mess when you try to add in all the weirdness that comes from the warhammer setting.

boat combat is never, ever fun

plane spergs? They can have fun in planes

tanks pergs? Sure, ok, a few of them

Truck spergs? Yah ok

Warhammer spergs? Sure, done

But boats? Boats are never fun. There has never been a fun boat game.

We already have man of war and it isn't fun.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Auto-resolve at sea is rubbish most of the time.
I just want battles at sea to be resolvable manually as a "land fight", have it be just a crossing map and the visual terrain is two giant ships docked against each other like in the Heroes of might & magic games.
Or even less effort; just drop of all troops on a small island map and let em duke it out there.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
1v1 hero battle

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The issue with no boat battles is that autoresolve is generally hosed in the direction of the AI. Stacks you could run all over on land are suddenly undefeatable and there's nothing you can do about it.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Choyi posted:

I just want battles at sea to be resolvable manually as a "land fight", have it be just a crossing map and the visual terrain is two giant ships docked against each other like in the Heroes of might & magic games.
Or even less effort; just drop of all troops on a small island map and let em duke it out there.

EIther of these would make a great mod!

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Choyi posted:

That would own and is a great idea for a warhams game.

"Realistic" boat battles always suck because they're boring as gently caress, just like in real life, it's all about trying to get in position forever, then running away if you're not in position. There's a reason there's so few huge naval battles in history and roughly 1000000x more famous land battles. And the famous sea battles aren't really video game ready generally. Dread Francis Drake sank the spanish fleet by... breaking all the rules never engaging fairly, suiciding boats, and lighting poo poo on fire all over in the chaos. Midway was all god drat planes. Lepanto was the definition of chaos, and that's getting into really spergy historical naval battles.

Using giant ships as a board though, that is cool and good and you should direct naval battles for CA.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 11, 2018

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I don't know too much about the warhammer navies, but I think it'd be more fun than just a regular age of sail game. I mean, the dwarves have armoured steamships. So immediately they don't care about the winds, they could just charge right at opponents. Unless they were orcs, in which cause they would charge away. But the orcs could have a speed boost to get into boarding range. It seems like there would be enough variation that battles wouldn't get too samey.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Choyi posted:

If they did that for Black Arks then maybe I'd use them more, they're supposed to be floating murder cities in lore but the drat thinks get taken out by the puniest stacks.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Third World Reggin posted:

But boats? Boats are never fun. There has never been a fun boat game.

Sid Meyer's PIRATES!, would like a word.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Unmodded wood elves campaigns are absolutely miserable in ME

What is a good mod to...fix whatever?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
World of Warships is actually pretty fun

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Squiggle posted:

It's called the Queen and the Crone, just play Allarielle if you want ME Welves.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
1) Goddamnit Tyrion we're at over 600 positive relationship points or whatever with each other, JUST LET ME HAVE THE DAMNED TRADE DEAL

2) I want to verify if the following's a bug or not (only running Rites of the Old World but that's certainly not it): the Beastmen that spawn with Archaon managed to cross an entire field without getting revealed, and only got revealed once they hit my lines. I'm talking about the entire army - even the Cygors materialized out of nowhere half a meter in front of my troops. As I was playing Dwarfs and I was depending on my artillery pieces to level the field, that was quite the surprise. Is it something Beastmen at some point or was it a bug? I've had a battle or two where terrain features fail to load in and I fight on an entirely empty field, so I suppose it being a bug isn't out of the question.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Azran posted:

1) Goddamnit Tyrion we're at over 600 positive relationship points or whatever with each other, JUST LET ME HAVE THE DAMNED TRADE DEAL

2) I want to verify if the following's a bug or not (only running Rites of the Old World but that's certainly not it): the Beastmen that spawn with Archaon managed to cross an entire field without getting revealed, and only got revealed once they hit my lines. I'm talking about the entire army - even the Cygors materialized out of nowhere half a meter in front of my troops. As I was playing Dwarfs and I was depending on my artillery pieces to level the field, that was quite the surprise. Is it something Beastmen at some point or was it a bug? I've had a battle or two where terrain features fail to load in and I fight on an entirely empty field, so I suppose it being a bug isn't out of the question.

Number 2 sounds like a bug I've seen several times. Basically LoS fails to draw right on the map, and so people only get revealed within minimum distance. Reload a save and try again, should sort it out

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
popping in to say Lepanto was a fun map for AoK:TC

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Squiggle posted:

No amber mod helps

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Battlefield Gothic did some pretty nice ship combat. While in space, the game is really a 2D sea combat game.
If TW would implement something similar and put a cap of 5-10 ships per battle it could potentially be quite nice.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Was watching Indypride try out the new Rome II expac and in one of the first battles the enemy navy trying to make landfall came in two at a time to offload in a cramped dock, letting Indy's 3 melee units solo almost an entire stack's worth of enemies they would have probably lost to had they all deployed at the same time, in a battle the auto was rightly calling as a total lost cause. This was on top of the naval stuff prior to the landing also looking buggy as gently caress.

I guess what I'm saying is that if CA can't handle the navel side in a game where the boats are super boring and plain and the same for everyone I don't see how they'd manage to do justice to the navel stuff you'd get in Warhammer Fantasy.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Just have it automatically open that warhammer dreadnaught naval battles game every single time you select a boat

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

hhhmmm posted:

No amber mod helps

I feel like this would make WEs way too good, unless the mod also does a lot of balancing around it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

just get the one that lets you build actual settlements outside of athel loren. The outpost system is incredibly pointless in a world where everyone can settle everywhere anyway

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I want to make a mod. Specifically, I want to do an update to this mod which gives better starting units to each faction: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1176519230&searchtext=starting+unit
(and yes I'll be sure to give proper credit if I am successful).

Where do I begin? What programs do I need to make mods? What would be a good tutorial to watch?

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

The Duggler posted:

I feel like this would make WEs way too good, unless the mod also does a lot of balancing around it

WE are still limited by the outpost-system, where they get minimal income outside of the WE forests. Dropping amber just enables you to upgrade settlements with cash in the same way as other races, opens up more unit choices (while still being limited by building slots), and enables you to tech up without catastrophic backlash if you lose territory. So disabling amber just means you don't have to go into crazy razing sprees to enable a cash flow that is sufficient to raise enough armies for protecting your defenseless outposts so that you can get enough amber to upgrade stuff in the WE forest.That last sentence sucks, i know.

In any case, I view the campaign as a system of getting you into interesting battles. And the worst offender against that idea is the Wood elves, with sieges and forest maps being close contenders.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I want to make a mod. Specifically, I want to do an update to this mod which gives better starting units to each faction: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1176519230&searchtext=starting+unit

Where do I begin? What programs do I need to make mods? What would be a good tutorial to watch?
The main tools you'll be using will be the Assembly Kit (which you can find under tools in your Steam library) and Pack File Manager.
You can find a lot of tutorials & information over on twcenter. This Google Doc is also decent.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Is there a "preview auto-resolve results" mod or something? I realized that auto-resolve is a lovely mechanic where I have to a gamble if I want to save time.

When the real gamble is my having to actually fight the battle if I don't like auto-resolve results.

Im tired of having to reload the autosave when it decides to hate my expensive troops.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Lesson learned: don't let a rogue army get an entire province. They also got me on a plain with no forests, but I doubt that would've made a difference.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I posted waaaaay upthread about this, but Wood Elves was the most fun I had in an ME campaign.

I just acted as world police, bolstering other 'order' factions as and when necessary. I rarely took ground except as staging grounds to recruit and resupply. Eventually got a victory through allying with noted other world police faction, the high elves.

Just consolidate Athel Loren and do what you want to get lotsa amber, there's no secret. Wanna fight lizards? Sail to lustria with your murdertrees! Wanna killl orcs, do that! It's a fun campaign IMO

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Vlex posted:

I posted waaaaay upthread about this, but Wood Elves was the most fun I had in an ME campaign.

I just acted as world police, bolstering other 'order' factions as and when necessary. I rarely took ground except as staging grounds to recruit and resupply. Eventually got a victory through allying with noted other world police faction, the high elves.

Just consolidate Athel Loren and do what you want to get lotsa amber, there's no secret. Wanna fight lizards? Sail to lustria with your murdertrees! Wanna killl orcs, do that! It's a fun campaign IMO

You used any mods for that? And did you confederate your wood bros or did you just declare war on them?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Third World Reggin posted:

Sid meiers pirates! was built around it, and could almost carry the game by itself.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

hhhmmm posted:

Somewhere in the Reddit AMA there was a question about Amber, and the CA dude mentioned wanting to go back and rework it. No plans, of course, but still. Amber is the worst part about the Wood Elves (if you ignore the whole "elf" part, at least.)

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Wood elf protip: create a treasure hunting lord, sail out to sea, watch the beastmen chase you around eternally

I didn't realize they were even perusing my maritime dendrophile until I saw Kazrak just in the FoW. He's been at it for nearly 30 turns, still with the same stack of 7 units.

And general wood elf chat, I really love their redlines being just straight buffs to all units in the lords army. Granted you have to choose between the two but it makes specializing more worthwhile.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Orion just has a really poop start.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I like Orion for the great buffs to his army, but am always torn on how to personally buff him.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoD9TcjuBI

A bit old as videos go, but it goes through the process you would need.

As an aside, you need to open start_pos_starting_general_option_additional_units and make changes there specifically using the assembly kit, that's the table that handles extra units for playable lords.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 12, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are Shadow-Walkers as dumb as they seem? They cost more than standard archers, have similar ranged stats and only have 60 models as opposed to 90. Even with the 20% damage reduction from their poison I'd still expect them to get butchered by an equal number of archers.

Even as skirmishers they aren't great. Their slow walking speed makes them very vulnerable to being run down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

They can fire on the move in a 360 arc and have stalk. They're better.