Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I found a 92 YJ, 4.0 manual, 190k with a used engine swap and needs a trans for $3k. Looks clean/rust free in pics.

How involved is a trans swap? never done one on a 4x4. And if I decided to have it done how much could I be looking at spending?

Decsription from FB market:

Jeep Wrangler YJ Islander. 1992, stick shift, 6 cylinder engine, 4 wheel drive. Used engine swap 2 years ago. Recently replaced breaks, clutch and exhaust. Comes with spare wheel, zip up windows, and Jeep cover. Also has off-road lights and working radio with auxiliary port.

Needs transmission. No A/C

[e] it got sold

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I typically run a bikini top and no sides most of the year however I no longer have covered parking at my job. Does anyone know if they make a bikini top that has roll up side flaps that can be used for rain protection? They would roll up and secure/tie at the top and can be unrolled and hooked to the tub covering the sides.

I don't really want a rain cover in a bag as TJs don't really have a lot of storage space. The idea of sides that roll up to the roll cage and can be dropped and secured in less than a minute if I have to do it in the rain (Texas is known for its rain out of nowhere) sound perfect. I just can't find anything like it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There's a gorgeous JL in the lot at work. It got me looking online...I didn't realize JK production wrapped up in April. Also, building the Wrangler I want comes out to about 10k more than I paid for my '12. :(

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

I typically run a bikini top and no sides most of the year however I no longer have covered parking at my job. Does anyone know if they make a bikini top that has roll up side flaps that can be used for rain protection? They would roll up and secure/tie at the top and can be unrolled and hooked to the tub covering the sides.

I don't really want a rain cover in a bag as TJs don't really have a lot of storage space. The idea of sides that roll up to the roll cage and can be dropped and secured in less than a minute if I have to do it in the rain (Texas is known for its rain out of nowhere) sound perfect. I just can't find anything like it.

I've never seen anything like that - you'd probably be able to get something custom made if you know any upholstery shops.

For my TJ I have the rampage frameless top. The back and side windows zip off and store in a bag inside the roof to save space. It's pretty awesome in that regard because the space isnt being taken up inside the Jeep. It's not really fast to get the sides and back on, probably takes 3-4 minutes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That top sounded interesting until I read the reviews on amazon, sounds like they aren't made well at all.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
So after a long chain of bad decisions I put some 31x10.5r15 Ironman All Country M/Ts on my stock height 96 zj.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Through an errant text from my neighbor earlier this week I learned his wife’s Grand Cherokee was overheating and occasionally leaving her stranded. I asked more to see what exactly was going on. The electric radiator fan crapped out and their mechanic was citing a $600 repair bill. I looked over what would be involved and told him it seemed like we should be able to do the job in two hours which means that four was more likely. It has the 4.0 I6 so it had acres of room to work. He bought the part and yesterday morning we started getting after it.
Compared to the BMWs I’ve decided to torture myself with this was really not bad. Only ball ache was the driver side lower shroud bolt hiding next to the subframe and power steering thing. Once I got that out it was super easy. I discovered the serpentine belt was nearly dead (cracked and chunks missing). I said ‘real talk can you afford the ~$30 for a new belt’ and he said yep. A quick trip to the parts store and back we swapped the belt, installed the rad fan and shroud and had everything buttoned up. Not a single hiccup, and it worked flawlessly. Even with the trip to the store we were done in 3 1/2 hours. Felt good to help out a friend and I will say an I6 jeep is pretty easy to work on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WJ or ZJ?

If it's a WJ I'm slightly surprised it was the actual fan. Most of the time on those if it has the electric/mechanical combo, the relay for the E-fan is what dies.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

WJ or ZJ?

If it's a WJ I'm slightly surprised it was the actual fan. Most of the time on those if it has the electric/mechanical combo, the relay for the E-fan is what dies.

Admittedly I don’t even know what year it was or enough about Jeep chassis codes to tell you. It was a SFA model so I know it was an older year. This apparently would be the second time the fan has died in the life of the car (belonged to his mother in law since new before they gave it to his wife). They had replaced a relay before as well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
98 down is ZJ, 99-04 is WJ.

Easy way: square-ish headlights are ZJ, ones with slanty sides toward the grille are WJ.

It sounds like a WJ though because I don't think the ZJ has an electric fan? Just a big mechanical one driven off the water pump.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

She lives!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Awesome!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
So is the power steering pulley bolt on a renix MJ left hand threaded, or is it just that stuck?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think it's a 3/8-16 right handed but not sure. The installer one in the middle of the pulley right? Or the tensioner bolt under the pump?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Middle of the pulley, 3/8 allen

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

3/8 Allen? :wtf:

The pulley is pressed onto the shaft, the threads are only for the remover and installer tool and I've never actually seen an Allen head on one, now I'm really confused.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ugh its pressed on, of course. The allen must be for holding the pump internals. Thanks!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
How about the auto tensioner on the 4.0? I'm pretty sure the bolt holding it on to the motor is a T40 torx. I only have a t40 bit, I think I should invest in a socket before turning this thing.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Now that I’m getting a handle on reliability ( :smithicide: ) I’m starting to line up cosmetic goals and looking into flat/tube fenders. Who’s got a tj with them and do you like them or no? How was install? I’m not looking to cut my hood for highlines right now - but other than that I’m pretty open because Florida allows whatever mad max mashup vehicle you can put on the road.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Karma Comedian posted:

Now that I’m getting a handle on reliability ( :smithicide: ) I’m starting to line up cosmetic goals and looking into flat/tube fenders. Who’s got a tj with them and do you like them or no? How was install? I’m not looking to cut my hood for highlines right now - but other than that I’m pretty open because Florida allows whatever mad max mashup vehicle you can put on the road.

I'm curious about this as well. My OG plastic fenders are starting to fall off and look like poo poo. The tube fenders have a much more minimalist look that I enjoy.

I'm just not sure what needs to be done about the metal plates underneath.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
This might be a bit of a reach for this thread, but you never know. Anyone here familiar with AMC 290/304s? My brother has a 290 that he wants to freshen up. Basically I'm trying to find a good source for refreshed/aftermarket heads, Edelbrock makes some for the 343/360 but what I'm reading is that the 2.02 intake valve would be undesirable for how small the bore is on this engine.

I'm trying to push him to find a junkyard Wagoneer with a 360 and build that up instead, but this is all pretty nebulous and speculative till he comes to get the car out of my garage in a couple months.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

As Nero Danced posted:

This might be a bit of a reach for this thread, but you never know. Anyone here familiar with AMC 290/304s? My brother has a 290 that he wants to freshen up. Basically I'm trying to find a good source for refreshed/aftermarket heads, Edelbrock makes some for the 343/360 but what I'm reading is that the 2.02 intake valve would be undesirable for how small the bore is on this engine.

I'm trying to push him to find a junkyard Wagoneer with a 360 and build that up instead, but this is all pretty nebulous and speculative till he comes to get the car out of my garage in a couple months.

290/343/390/304/360/401 will all interchange. 390s/401s are all way more desirable though due to having a forged rotating assembly.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Gingerbread House Music posted:

290/343/390/304/360/401 will all interchange. 390s/401s are all way more desirable though due to having a forged rotating assembly.

Depends on how you define interchange. You have to notch the top of the cylinders with big valves on a 290.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mammal Sauce posted:

Depends on how you define interchange. You have to notch the top of the cylinders with big valves on a 290.

That's what I thought. I guess at the very least since most everything can be shared we can go ahead and use the 290 block he has for now and get a 360 or 401 block some day down the road. Does anyone besides edelbrock make heads for these things anymore?

Edit:VVV That's what I keep coming back to, for the cost of notching the cylinders we can get a bigger engine and be better off.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 11, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mammal Sauce posted:

The engines themselves. It's not worth putting work into a 290 when you can drop a $100 360 in, or get a running 401.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
What have you all heard about the *new* EcoDiesel in the Grand Cherokee? I'm sadly selling my WJ soon and looking to replace it with a new 2018 GC Trailhawk and I'm trying to decide between the Hemi and the diesel. I'm having trouble finding a lot of info about the diesel though. Some reports of the 2014-2016 version are saying it's unreliable, while some reports are of it being a great, smooth engine with good torque and no comment on the reliability issues. Lots of people are also saying it's best when driven for long trips and not so great for around town driving. Do any of you have first hand experience?

The ED is $4,500 on top of the price for the V6, but only $1,200 above the Hemi, and in my area I can find diesels and hemi versions for about the same price in the low $40k range new. I will be towing my Lexus SC around to track events, so I need to be able to tow and I want Quadra-Drive II to still be able to go off-road, so the Trailhawk seemed to make the most sense. It's cheaper than other similarly equipped GC trim levels since it's basically a base model Laredo with the engine options, leather seats, and Quadra-Drive from Limited and Overland models.

It's going to be sad to see the WJ go as it's been (after replacing a sensor to fix an idle problem) an exceptionally reliable daily driver. I got it as an off-roading fun car in November 2014, so I've had it just shy of 4 years. It was never supposed to be a daily, but after being unemployed for most of 2016 and 2017, I sold my daily Fiesta ST to get rid of the payment and just drove the Jeep. It's sitting at 179,000 miles and it just took my fiancee and me safely and reliably from LA to Arizona, then Telluride, CO, and back again while returning 17.5mpg. Not bad for having a 3" lift on 31's with full time AWD and the 4.7 V8 at that mileage. Overall my WJ ownership has been exceptional and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another in the future.

Having said all that, I'm tired of driving an almost 20 year old car around town every day and would love to daily something that wasn't made when Clinton was still in office. I've also been working a lot the past year and I've been in situations where I need to drive a client around and they have not appreciated stepping over rock sliders to get into an old leather seat that smells like dirt. Time for something new.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If it were me.. it's Chrysler, I wouldn't trust it until there's a solid 5 years or so of first hand reports and experience. The hemi is a much more known quantity with reliability from what I understand. Depending where you live diesel might be more expensive anyways.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

If it were me.. it's Chrysler, I wouldn't trust it until there's a solid 5 years or so of first hand reports and experience. The hemi is a much more known quantity with reliability from what I understand. Depending where you live diesel might be more expensive anyways.

The manual suggests mid grade for the Hemi, which is only about 20 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel where I live. I had a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi years go and sometimes I was seeing single digit mpg readings with the average in the city of around 10-12 mpg. The 22mpg rating of the diesel would far more than make up the difference if the 2018 Hemi gets the same dismal mileage. That's the main reason I'm considering the ED if I can get it for about the same price of the Hemi. BUT, I don't want to get into a maintenance or reliability headache down the road.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

It's sitting at 179,000 miles and it just took my fiancee and me safely and reliably from LA to Arizona, then Telluride, CO, and back again while returning 17.5mpg.

You clearly are way better at avoiding the loud pedal than I am. My average has been trending down towards 13.

With as much as (I hope) you are going to be towing the SC, I'd probably go for the diesel.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

You clearly are way better at avoiding the loud pedal than I am. My average has been trending down towards 13.

With as much as (I hope) you are going to be towing the SC, I'd probably go for the diesel.

That was literally all highway and mostly flat terrain. Colorado was different since I was climbing to 10,000 feet. Probably closer to single digits there.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Holy poo poo ZJ seats are amazing in the XJ. These were out of a '98 and look/feel practically new. So much cushier than the factory ones and a lot easier to clean. Best $50 upgrade ever.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
How'd you install them? I didn't think they bolted in, did you get pre-made brackets? Or did you frankenstein your brackets up? They do look great, looks like they match your interior pretty well, too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Former coworker bought a 16 (maybe 15 but I think 16) Grand w/ecodiesel for his wife. Her commute was about 35 miles each way, mostly highway, and she was getting like 31 mpg. No issues yet, though he thinks it seems to go through DEF faster than his Ram 2500.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Former coworker bought a 16 (maybe 15 but I think 16) Grand w/ecodiesel for his wife. Her commute was about 35 miles each way, mostly highway, and she was getting like 31 mpg. No issues yet, though he thinks it seems to go through DEF faster than his Ram 2500.

That's great feedback, thank you.

A local dealership has some silly sales prices right now. So low that it looks almost bait and switchy. It's a reputable dealer though, so I might go check it out this weekend.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

How'd you install them? I didn't think they bolted in, did you get pre-made brackets? Or did you frankenstein your brackets up? They do look great, looks like they match your interior pretty well, too.

You re-use your original brackets, the seats bolt right up to them as they have the same base pattern. They do match a lot better than the light grey crappy woven fabric seats did.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Philip J Fry posted:

You re-use your original brackets, the seats bolt right up to them as they have the same base pattern. They do match a lot better than the light grey crappy woven fabric seats did.

They kept this up as far as at least the WK era. I have a set of 05 WK seats in my 95. They bolted up the same way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

They kept this up as far as at least the WK era. I have a set of 05 WK seats in my 95. They bolted up the same way.

If/when the leather goes lovely on my WJ seats, I'd be tempted to do this. I think I have one seat frame cracking a bit anyway.

Either that or I should just braze it or get a buzzbox and learn to boogerweld on it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I actually need to replace the driver seat in my ZJ, so that's great to know.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

drat, that's been instantly moved up to #1 on my to-do list. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you do swap seats just make sure you don't buy them from a very heavy smoker. Multiple shampoo jobs, a year of airing out, etc. and it still reeks when the sun hits my seats for too long. On the plus side you can basically haggle the price down to nothing because you're saving someone a trip to the dump.