Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

oliwan posted:

can we please ask cumshitter to post in e/n or something instead of here

tell me more about being a class traitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CoolCab posted:

why on loving earth would you look at cumshitter's work itt and go "yeah def want less of that"

cumshitter is the only good finance person. After the left takes over we should make him chairman of the Fed or something.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

once I was reading the trump thread in class and a guy in my class tapped my shoulder afterward and said "something awful?" it was not good, folks

that goon's name? Elon Musk.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
i met my wife through SA lol

(and by met I mean like we went to the same school and I had an SA shirt that she talked to me about because she was also a goon lol)

buncha self hating goons itt

Sad!

Stefan Prodan has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Aug 11, 2018

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stefan Prodan posted:

i met my wife through SA lol

(and by met I mean like we went to the same school and I had an SA shirt that she talked to me about because she was also a goon lol)

buncha self hating goons itt

Sad!

You should both be embarrased af

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

there is no other kind of goon. if you didnt hate yourself, you wouldnt be here.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

You should both be embarrased af

nah

orange sky
May 7, 2007

SA has consistently made me a better person throughout the years, 100% serious

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
one thing I hate is to meet people who like the same things I do!!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Stefan Prodan posted:

self hating goons

But you repeat yourself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

orange sky posted:

Back when LF existed it made me feel ashamed and embarrassed about being a liberal, and I ended up realizing I was wrong all along.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BioMe posted:

just lol if you thought someone styling themselves punk rock says anything about their politics

every expression of our culture is hollow and has been ground into meaningless marketing gimmicks

punk is just being performatively poor

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
Exclusive: Saudi Arabia's PIF has shown no interest in bankrolling Tesla buyout

quote:

DUBAI/RIYADH/LONDON (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) has shown no interest so far in financing Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) CEO Elon Musk’s proposed $72 billion deal to take the U.S. electric car maker private, despite acquiring a minority stake in the company this year, two sources familiar with the matter said.

The 47-year-old investor and engineer stunned financial markets on Tuesday when he said on Twitter that he was considering a take-private deal for Tesla, an auto manufacturing pioneer that developed the world’s first luxury all-electric sedan car. He also said he had secured funding for the proposal, without providing details.

Investors and analysts viewed PIF as a natural financing partner. Beyond amassing a stake of just below 5 percent in Tesla, the sovereign wealth fund has poured tens of billions of dollars into technology investments, including $45 billion in SoftBank Group Corp’s (9984.T) Vision Fund over five years.

However, a source who is familiar with PIF’s strategy said it was not currently getting involved in any funding process for Tesla’s take-private deal.

A second source close to the situation also said PIF was not taking part in any such plan at this stage. This source said that the Saudi fund would not make an investment of this kind without seeking guidance first from Softbank.

[...]

Sooooo everyone knows that Musk committed securities fraud now, rite

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Last Chance posted:

why dont they just make him in charge of the gift shop? Seems like he'd do great

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Stefan Prodan posted:

one thing I hate is to meet people who like the same things I do!!

this but unironically

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

orange sky posted:

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which way Model 3 is going
There's no profit they are showing
But the stock price may be growing

Are they shipping are they stowing
Is a battery fire a-blowing?

Come with me
And you'll be
In a world of stock manipulation
Buy a call
And you'll see
Into total privitization

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Sooooo everyone knows that Musk committed securities fraud now, rite

the worshipers are convinced that steiner will come any time now with the funding secured

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Last Chance posted:

why dont they just make him in charge of the gift shop? Seems like he'd do great
*Elon awkwardly stumbles toward customers wearing a SpaceX polo shirt, Tesla short shorts, and a Boring Co. hat, wielding a flamethrower*
"Welcome!"
"uh, oh, Say hello to my, um, little friend!"
*fires flamethrower, sprinklers go off*

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

orange sky posted:

how so...?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Presenting me with interesting points of view that changed me politically, I believe, for the best

Providing good conversation and recommendations about books, movies, TV shows

Making me more politically and culturally aware thanks to many international political threads

Giving me advice on professional and personal circumstances

It's overall a pretty good environment to learn poo poo, and getting rid of the toxic stuff (that ends up creating its little corner in the Internet) allows SA to be a great place. I know a lot of people that could use all the knowledge I got from here.

Unless you just go to fyad lol

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

orange sky posted:

Presenting me with interesting points of view that changed me politically, I believe, for the best

Providing good conversation and recommendations about books, movies, TV shows

Making me more politically and culturally aware thanks to many international political threads

Giving me advice on professional and personal circumstances

It's overall a pretty good environment to learn poo poo, and getting rid of the toxic stuff (that ends up creating its little corner in the Internet) allows SA to be a great place. I know a lot of people that could use all the knowledge I got from here.

thank you for answering. i agree, this is surprisingly one of the better places to have conversations on the internet. just getting rid of (most) bad-faith shitposters is a huge step up over most other places

hmm...

starting to think maybe i've been a little too hard on ol' musky

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The price of admission on SA saves it from being swamped with assholes.
And the ones that make the effort to do it are entertaining at times, get zapped quickly and contribute to the survival of the site.

:10bux: Paygate is the best.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

hmm...

starting to think maybe i've been a little too hard on ol' musky

You joke but that's exactly his PR strategy and it's ridiculously effective. Just stand next to some dumb mass market nerd poo poo and they will think you are their friend.

It wasn't that long ago when a bunch of sociology types were making these wild predictions about how the internet generations are going to have almost superhuman media criticism skills, forged in the endless fires of information wars to separate fact from fiction, true ubermensch of the digital era. Then some totally radical science cartoon man accidentally advertises a lovely fast-food condiment and the fuckers drive 50 miles for a 15g pack like it's like crack in sweet&sour form (or because they are the type who "just want to see what the fuss is about lol, obviously i'm not some kind of sheeple", which is just so much worse).

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i am still drunk and listening to musicals and im listening to little shop of horrors and now i realize who elon reminds me of: seymore krellborne. that loving weak sister who cant stop tripping over his own nuts in a desperate mad dash to the bottom of every moral barrell

all of elons actions make a lot more sense if you imagine that a giant carnivorous plant is bullying him into doing them with vague, emptyp romises

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
*shoves the entire corporate board into the gaping maw of a carnivorous plant*

so youre gonna help me get the stock price up, right?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

cumshitter posted:

considered, and still no

bless your cum filled rear end

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BioMe posted:

You joke but that's exactly his PR strategy and it's ridiculously effective. Just stand next to some dumb mass market nerd poo poo and they will think you are their friend.

It wasn't that long ago when a bunch of sociology types were making these wild predictions about how the internet generations are going to have almost superhuman media criticism skills, forged in the endless fires of information wars to separate fact from fiction, true ubermensch of the digital era. Then some totally radical science cartoon man accidentally advertises a lovely fast-food condiment and the fuckers drive 50 miles for a 15g pack like it's like crack in sweet&sour form (or because they are the type who "just want to see what the fuss is about lol, obviously i'm not some kind of sheeple", which is just so much worse).

Well that would be the internet generations, plural, so the next generation still has hope if these horrible nerds don't get laid and have children.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

endlessmonotony posted:

Well that would be the internet generations, plural, so the next generation still has hope if these horrible nerds don't get laid and have children.

they're being raised on machine created YouTube videos featuring cartoon characters getting pulled into threshers or whatever

need to get these kids on some old fashioned forums. it was good enough for me, my pappy, and my grandpappy, it'll be good enough for them.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

ahahahaha all the Tesla fans kept saying it was the Saudis and nope

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

nope, chuck tesla

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shiksa posted:

they're being raised on machine created YouTube videos featuring cartoon characters getting pulled into threshers or whatever

Elsa and Spiderman capture Superman and fart

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also the whole inflated nature of Tesla's current valuation means going private would be around 72 billion for the stock buyout

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/08/investing/elon-musk-tesla-going-private-tweet/index.html

Institutional investors could easily veto the deal due a few finance companies owning a 25% stake.

quote:

It's unclear who Musk secured funding from. The Financial Times reported that he met with Saudi Investors, but the company has not commented. Typically investment banks provide the huge amount of capital to take a company private. But that comes with substantial risk -- and adds a huge amount of debt to a company's balance sheet.

The next three largest shareholders -- investment firms T. Rowe Price, Fidelity and Baillie Gifford -- have a combined 25% stake. None of those firms would comment about Musk's proposal, but it's not clear that every investor would be on board. If those shareholders vote against the proposal the company would not go private.

Musk also said that shareholders would have the option of selling their stakes or retaining their shares for partial ownership of a privately held Tesla.

So that's led to confusion about how "private" Tesla would be if it kept some of its existing investors.

Tesla's board said in a statement Wednesday that Musk talked to board members last week about why going private would make sense and how a deal could be funded. The board said it is now taking the "appropriate next steps" to evaluate the proposal.

lol

quote:

So why does Musk still want to do this?

Musk seems tired of dealing with skeptical Wall Street analysts and short sellers who are trying to profit from declines in the stock.

One person on Twitter even mentioned Dell going private as a model for Tesla. A user named Evoto Rentals wrote "Been saying this all along. Just like Dell did. It saves a lot of headaches."

Musk responded to that tweet with a simple, "Yes."

If Tesla were private, short sellers would no longer have a way to make money from negative Tesla headlines. And Musk would not have to hold quarterly earnings calls and deal with questions from analysts that he finds tedious.

Musk would have a lot more freedom to invest even more in solar roofs, the Tesla Semi truck and any other new products without having to incur the wrath of investors and analysts who question the strategy.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
fight me, english teacher guy who told me not to post. i only have a BA in the face of your masters but i will step the gently caress up. i will quote all three editions of Piers Plowman backward and forward in original middle english to your loving face

micht ere me maw a schecht, bitch (that is middle english for i will suck your dick into submission, bitch)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
that’s kind of that poster’s trolling gimmick, waving the degree around. it’s fairly effective

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
my favorite paper i ever wrote was in my colonial american lit class and we were covering the salem witch trial era. holy poo poo, life sucked back then

anywya, i read the entierty of a dude named Increase Mather's book on spiritual possession. this was used in court as a legal document, because people in the past were loving morons

he literally came down to salem, a town of like 300 people, from The Big City of a town of 1,000 people. he was literally the big town fancy pants lawyer in a witch trial who had to be brought in because the backwater hicks couldnt stop burning each other at the stake

first off, his entire book is awful. as a protestant, his entire premise is that the devil always wants to hurt you. he willl possess you. he will coil like a snake in your toilet bowl and wait for the chance to bite your nuts when you take a poo poo. the only reason he can't is because god loves you, and the devil can't act if youre protected by god's love. when you piss off god he withholds that protection and satan is literally god's hit man

anyway, Increase saved about a dozen lives by showing up to court and making the gneius legal argument of: "If you were possessed by satan at the time, how can we trust your testimony? It is as valid as a drunk person's testimony. Unless you have a corroborating witness, I believe your testimony is invalid."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agronox posted:

that’s kind of that poster’s trolling gimmick, waving the degree around. it’s fairly effective

i like mocking those for being a fuckup by not having a terminal degree or working in academia

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Agronox posted:

a BA in english is currency for anything :confused:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like mocking those for being a fuckup by not having a terminal degree or working in academia

I work in academia and am getting 2 terminal degrees (MD-PhD) and so far I feel like the joke is mostly on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
reminder that ol’ musky spent 8 years getting his physics bachelors and dropped out of his phd program after two days that may or may not have been consecutive