Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
this week i've gotten 2 cold calls, one from goog and one from

I'm helping Matternet, one of the only FAA-approved drone companies, grow their engineering team. They use aerial drone technology to deliver medical supplies to developing parts of the world with no access to hospitals or emergency medical assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

JawnV6 posted:

this week i've gotten 2 cold calls, one from goog and one from

I'm helping Matternet, one of the only FAA-approved drone companies, grow their engineering team. They use aerial drone technology to deliver medical supplies to developing parts of the world with no access to hospitals or emergency medical assistance.

ooo I got a good one today

At Flipside Crypto we come from a number of successful startups. In this venture, we’ve teamed up to tackle an interesting problem: demystifying, simplifying, and bettering your odds while investing in cryptocurrencies.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
ci&rs: trying to play it cool when recruiters are mentioning massive figgies

*loud gulp* uh yeah that sounds about what I’m looking for

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I can imagine it would be p. awkward for a recruiter to bring up his plus size fetish

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
god dammit

i'm trying to use leetcode to practice for technical interviews and i feel like its such garbage

these are two of the top solutions for a 'medium' problem

so verbose it's nearly unreadable

or 'Challenge me , thx' with absolutely no comments or explanation, half the comments are '666666'

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

meatpotato posted:

i'm trying to use leetcode to practice for technical interviews and i feel like its such garbage
That's because it is.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
or am i the stupid one? that verbose explanation seems super explicit but my eyes just glaze over after a few minutes of reading it.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

meatpotato posted:

or am i the stupid one? that verbose explanation seems super explicit but my eyes just glaze over after a few minutes of reading it.

"clever" programmers suck and write unreadable code, clever programmers also like coding challenge poo poo like this to show how goddamn clever they are.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
then it seems like asking people to solve these kinds of problems in a phone screen or interview is a good way to find 'clever' programmers :thunk:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Nah, the entire point of leetcode/hackerwank/whatevs is that so that people who consider themselves The Smartest Guy in The Room can wave their cheeto-stained dicks at each other over who can come up with the most opaque solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

[edit] What that guy said.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
9/10 of the technical interviews I've had have been stuff that seems straight out of leetcode though :(

the only one I enjoyed was the guy who handed me a sheet of paper with ~20 lines of C printed on it and told me to find as many bugs as I could, that was fun.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
dammit I've been applying to jobs for a month now (12 applications sent so far) and haven't gotten a call back yet

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

meatpotato posted:

9/10 of the technical interviews I've had have been stuff that seems straight out of leetcode though :(
That's because 90% of the people doing the interviews are either perpetuating the cycle of abuse or just cargo-cult cockpimples.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
fwiw the job i just got (which is with a SF startup) had 0 coding challenges or other bullshit, it was a lot of "here's a problem we encountered, let's whiteboard the system and indicate how you'd fix <x> problem, what sort of tradeoffs are there, etc." and "talk about a project you've done, tell us about the problems you had, how did you debug things, etc."

it was very refreshing

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

FormatAmerica posted:

"clever" programmers suck and write unreadable code, clever programmers also like coding challenge poo poo like this to show how goddamn clever they are.
Is it wrong to write clever code because you're testing someone else's lovely cleverer code and it's the only way you can think of to get it working?

Asking for a friend.

It's me. I'm my only friend.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

meatpotato posted:

the only one I enjoyed was the guy who handed me a sheet of paper with ~20 lines of C printed on it and told me to find as many bugs as I could, that was fun.

i like this one that does sound fun

i had a postcard from a company like that at a school recruiting event. it was p cool. i just emailed in something like well it looks like <XYZ> is wrong, but theres no documentation of what this function is supposed to do, so maybe it is subtly doing the correct thing and the only defect is the missing documentation :goonsay:

i got an interview

they gave me a five figgy offer

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

meatpotato posted:

god dammit

these are two of the top solutions for a 'medium' problem

so verbose it's nearly unreadable

or 'Challenge me , thx' with absolutely no comments or explanation, half the comments are '666666'

ok, geez, I get it now but it took hours

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Leetcode is just an arbitrary metric of narrowing down candidates that doesn't involve throwing half the stack of resumes in the bin without looking.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

meatpotato posted:

most of the interviews I've done literally used hackerrank as part of the interviews. do you a hackerrank

meatpotato posted:

dammit I've been applying to jobs for a month now (12 applications sent so far) and haven't gotten a call back yet

keep it up, it took me 5 months and like 30-some applications to get 4 serious interviews and 1 offer. interviewing blows but you'll get there eventually

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

12 applications seems like a lot to not get any interest at all. Maybe your resume needs some improvement?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the resume thread in BFC is very good, but really, i think the best advice is be specific about what you did, and make sure to highlight a few of the things they're asking for in the ad at the very top, in the summary part. when i talked to some consulting sharks about selling resources using resumes, they pretty much said that if the hr person doesn't see the right keywords in like the first few lines, you're getting passed over. i brushed up mine with the advice from that thread and my response rate has been through the roof since.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

fwiw the job i just got (which is with a SF startup)

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I had my resume critiqued recently by somebody who hires people (but not in tech) and revised it accordingly

i'll take a look at the resume thread, thanks for the suggestion :)

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
also, i have been replying to all the linkedin recruiters even though none of their jobs are relevant to my experience or skills yet

(lots of HIGH GROWTH STARTUP seeking founding member of technical staff FIRMWARE ARCHITECT, etc.)

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
to be clear, I'm seeking mentoring, decent pay, and opportunity to learn new technical skills outside of firmware, my current pigeonhole

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

meatpotato posted:

to be clear, I'm seeking mentoring, decent pay, and opportunity to learn new technical skills outside of firmware, my current pigeonhole

maybe find a small company that does embedded stuff, but also wants a bunch of bad web interfaces or cloud services for their embedded junk?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

they seem cool and i'm working remotely and it's not bullshit tech so i think i'll be fine

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Hello friends. I am starting my job search in earnest today. Please wish me luck.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

meatpotato posted:

this might be a good time to ask this question then

I just made a linkedin to look for a job (currently have none). Are these messages worthwhile to pursue, or am I likely to be wasting my time? I haven't tuned my linkedin spam sense yet.

never reply to recruiters offering contract gigs or recruiters that don’t mention the company name.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

anybody have any success stories picking up part-time short-term contract work? i haven't reached out to my network yet, but i assume that's probably my best lead. any other good places to look that wont give me lovely elance jobs for 10bux/hr or osmething

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

never reply to recruiters offering contract gigs or recruiters that don’t mention the company name.

if you're interested in the actual company search the job description in your area because those recruiters usually copy and paste it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Asleep Style posted:

Hello friends. I am starting my job search in earnest today. Please wish me luck.

good luck! remember that rejections aren’t necessarily your fault, even if you get a bunch in a row!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

raminasi posted:

good luck! remember that rejections aren’t necessarily your fault, even if you get a bunch in a row!
also: dont stop searching until your new job hands you your security badge (firm offers can sometimes evaporate at the last minute)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

raminasi posted:

you’re going to bomb some interviews. it happens to everyone.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

FMguru posted:

also: dont stop searching until your new job hands you your security badge and confirms you won't have to take a lovely weed-out test that might get you fired

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

anybody have any success stories picking up part-time short-term contract work? i haven't reached out to my network yet, but i assume that's probably my best lead. any other good places to look that wont give me lovely elance jobs for 10bux/hr or osmething

I have one. An old friend worked at a toy robot startup and she told me they needed somebody to write firmware. They wanted to hire full-time, but I didn't want to quit my job, mostly because the commute to the toy robot place would be awful

i offered to contract as-needed instead of being full-time and after a few months of silence they asked if I was available for a few projects. I asked for $130/hour (multiplied my annual salary by 100 after inflating it a bit) and they said yes without hesitating, so I probably should have asked for more.

Anyway, they let me work remotely and I had a pretty consistent 10-20 hours of work a week on top of my regular job, which was a little stressful for a while until I quit my full-time job and did a month of just contracting, then it was really nice.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

meatpotato posted:

I have one. An old friend worked at a toy robot startup and she told me they needed somebody to write firmware. They wanted to hire full-time, but I didn't want to quit my job, mostly because the commute to the toy robot place would be awful

i offered to contract as-needed instead of being full-time and after a few months of silence they asked if I was available for a few projects. I asked for $130/hour (multiplied my annual salary by 100 after inflating it a bit) and they said yes without hesitating, so I probably should have asked for more.

Anyway, they let me work remotely and I had a pretty consistent 10-20 hours of work a week on top of my regular job, which was a little stressful for a while until I quit my full-time job and did a month of just contracting, then it was really nice.

im really sorry to hear your salary is only $1.30. sad member of the one figgy club :smith:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
ahem, divided by 100