Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So I’ve never played a Valkyrie Chronicles game, but the demo for VC4 is pretty fun and I’m on a turn based game kick. What’s the progression on these like - is it rpg develop characters or xcom build up people that may die horribly? I assume the former. And how heavy is the story in driving the mission/progression? Seems like a fun tactical game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Fly Ricky posted:

Old, but my four year old caught me playing Doom on the Switch yesterday and told me that the "robots" (demons) were cool.:shrug:

If you didn't solemnly nod while flashing them horns, you failed as a parent.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

a.lo posted:

DEAR NINTENDO,

WE NEED NEW DONKEY KONGA GAME ON SWITCH.

GOODBYE
How about Taiko?

https://twitter.com/GauBan/status/1020011578400366592

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I miss Donkey Konga, selling my bongo drums years ago is one of my many regrets.

I'm going to try and give Taiko drum a go, but it won't be as satisfying as the bongos I'm sure.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

squirrelzipper posted:

So I’ve never played a Valkyrie Chronicles game, but the demo for VC4 is pretty fun and I’m on a turn based game kick. What’s the progression on these like - is it rpg develop characters or xcom build up people that may die horribly? I assume the former. And how heavy is the story in driving the mission/progression? Seems like a fun tactical game.

Don't know about this one but the first game was heavily story-focused. All non-story-related characters could die permanently, though. You don't level up individual characters but instead buff individual classes, giving them better weapons and abilities.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I beat the Watcher Knights 😁😁😁😁 for anyone bashing their head against it like I was, do some more exploring and come back later!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Lobster posted:

Wow it's like we're not a single entity or something.

I’m talking about single users in this thread, boyo. I’ll clarify next time.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I keep buying more expensive versions of indie games for my switch that I already own so that I can play them horizontally :homebrew: send help

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ragequit posted:

This title made me think of Little King’s Story, which would be fantastic on the Switch.

It's not gonna happen unfortunately, there's something with LKS that makes it very hard to port. It's a very Wii specific game.

It's why the PC port got cancelled.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's a Vita remake of Little King's Story, and it'd probably run faster than 15 FPS on the Switch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Uh, https://store.steampowered.com/app/390310/Little_Kings_Story/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Owned

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What the gently caress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tbf it's an incredibly bad port that probably runs worse than the Vita version

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's not gonna happen unfortunately, there's something with LKS that makes it very hard to port. It's a very Wii specific game.

It’s on Steam, so I at least have that option. Oh well, plenty of other things to play on the Switch.

Edit: Sheesh, beaten several times

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 13, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Tbf it's an incredibly bad port that probably runs worse than the Vita version

Durante fixed it up as much as he could, it's in a better place than it launched which was...definitely rough.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe it's been on Steam for 2 years and I'm now just hearing about it...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Durante fixed it up as much as he could, it's in a better place than it launched which was...definitely rough.

Yeah it's definitely playable now. Still jaw a couple rough spots like the cutscenes but the game is well worth them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KingEup posted:

I just finished a game callled 'For the King' on the PC and am here to remind you that it's coming to the Nintendo Swtich console. Apparently it has JRPG and rogue like elements so other than being turn based I'm not sure what genre it falls into exactly. It was a very satisfying game to play nonetheless.

Edit: I have never played a jrpg before so I don't know how far it deviates from that genre. I am ready and willing to give the jrpg genre a go now though. I would appreciate some recommendations for a coop jrpg on any Nintendo console or pc.

Good starter jRPGs include Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy 4-6.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingEup posted:

I just finished a game callled 'For the King' on the PC and am here to remind you that it's coming to the Nintendo Swtich console. Apparently it has JRPG and rogue like elements so other than being turn based I'm not sure what genre it falls into exactly. It was a very satisfying game to play nonetheless.

Edit: I have never played a jrpg before so I don't know how far it deviates from that genre. I am ready and willing to give the jrpg genre a go now though. I would appreciate some recommendations for a coop jrpg on any Nintendo console or pc.

You should play Octopath Traveller. No co-op, but it's built like a classic 16-bit JRPG with gorgeous 2.5d models.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1028927538259607552

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

Good starter jRPGs include Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy 4-6.

Mario and Luigi I'd throw in there as well. Also Skies of Arcadia (no really complex systems in it)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

Did you not get to the Headquarters? The demo demonstrates pretty well how the progression works - individual characters don't gain experience or level up, instead you get experience and money from battles and then use it to level up entire classes together, and buy them better equipment. The only significance of individuals gameplay wise is their personal traits where you gotta try to balance their positives and negatives.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I keep buying more expensive versions of indie games for my switch that I already own so that I can play them horizontally :homebrew: send help

I bought Ikaruga and I think that means I shouldn't have access to money.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Oscar Wild posted:

I bought Ikaruga and I think that means I shouldn't have access to money.

It's not your fault you had a frothing demand

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Mario and Luigi I'd throw in there as well. Also Skies of Arcadia (no really complex systems in it)

Mario and Luigi is probably the best starter rpg I can think of, it explains everything well and its combat is incredibly intuitive. Plus it's funny and not super long

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Tumblr game with the skeletons people want to gently caress is coming out in America too

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
After playing the Valkyria Chronicles demo, I finally get what Codename STEAM was going for. But whereas that was a slog and riddled with baffling design choices, this was really fun! I'm looking forward to the real game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Atlas Hugged posted:

After playing the Valkyria Chronicles demo, I finally get what Codename STEAM was going for. But whereas that was a slog and riddled with baffling design choices, this was really fun! I'm looking forward to the real game.

The original game is coming out on Switch too.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Finally got to Tree of Men in Salt & Sanctuary, time to see what everyone is complaining about

https://streamable.com/kdclh

oh

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

Man I really wanted to like codename steam but like you said, baffling choices...it was made by intelligent systems, too, so wtf

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I hadn't seen anything about GRIS before today but it looks pretty interesting and contemplative

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1029004653294313472?s=19

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I hadn't seen anything about GRIS before today but it looks pretty interesting and contemplative

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1029004653294313472?s=19

Great visuals, curious about what the game is/how much game there is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:thunk: I dunno, that trailer doesnt say much, but I generally trust Devolver not to release garbage, so I'm willing to bet it will be at least decent

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol @ every loving indie treasure released in the last 4 years all having the exact same graphical style.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

American McGay posted:

lol @ every loving indie treasure released in the last 4 years all having the exact same graphical style.

This one doesn't look like 16bit++

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

That Tumblr game with the skeletons people want to gently caress is coming out in America too

it costs $69

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It looks like Journey, maybe with a little bit of Knytt, both of which I enjoyed. Hope this is gonna be a chillax game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I don't get the love for Little Kings Story.the game was poorly paced and there wasn't much to it.

I feel that there were much better hidden gem third party Wii games, like A Boy and His Blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

an actual dog posted:

it costs $69

They’re also selling just the game for $29.

Undertale owns and is worth a play if you like more quirky games like Earthbound. Yes, it has weird fans but so does literally every popular game so don’t let that get in the way of trying it.

• Locked thread