Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TL posted:

:smug: My job, my way. :smug:

Mylanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I don't follow you, my friend. No way. :colbert:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't follow you, my friend. No way. :colbert:

The answer, my friend, is blow it out your arse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Go back to your piddly Congress, I run an airport!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Mah face is large and troublesome!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god i wish flying out of SFO was as entertaining or nicotine stain yellow-brown as it is in that movie

Tell me about it -- they don't even sell diet gum any more.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Volume VIII is coming back into print on Thanksgiving.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Space Mutiny Live is now available from Rifftrax.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

Space Mutiny Live is now available from Rifftrax.

How does it compare to the original?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dawgstar posted:

How does it compare to the original?

They restored the cut footage from the original (nothing special). New nicknames for Big McLarge Huge. That's about it. Kevin had to wear a Space Mumu.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You know, one thing I hope we get more of with the upcoming season are the juvenile delinquency films. I just watched the Violent Years, and it's the right mix of absurdity and melodramatics to be great for prime riffing.

"She died as she lived, failing algebra."

The apparently foreign plot to ruin classrooms. Which starts with tipping desks over and ends up with 2 murders, 3 people killed.

And a true appreciation for cars turning right.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Edward Mass posted:

Volume VIII is coming back into print on Thanksgiving.

Inching closer to a potential Vol 9 rerelease, fingers crossed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

You know, one thing I hope we get more of with the upcoming season are the juvenile delinquency films. I just watched the Violent Years, and it's the right mix of absurdity and melodramatics to be great for prime riffing.

The apparently foreign plot to ruin classrooms. Which starts with tipping desks over and ends up with 2 murders, 3 people killed.

Another favorite is I Accuse My Parents, although there it's the parents fault. Except it's not because Jimmy is a compulsive liar and winds up with mob ties, like you do.

Basically 50s and 60s morality plays are my jam.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dawgstar posted:

Another favorite is I Accuse My Parents, although there it's the parents fault. Except it's not because Jimmy is a compulsive liar and winds up with mob ties, like you do.

Hell yeah extremely same.

For your content: I caught this one on Rifftrax last week.

An 8/10 riff but 10/10 kung fu blacksploitation movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMtWePgzB4

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Dawgstar posted:

I always get a kick out of "Johnny has another idea for an essay!"

The thing is that none of these films have any sense of humor, so it just ends up with people behaving in an incomprehensible way.

It's like, how did Rebel without a Cause turn out so good.

Fun fact - the observatory in RWAC is also in (at least) War of the Colossal Man and Teenaged Crime Wave.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's like, how did Rebel without a Cause turn out so good.

Fun fact - the observatory in RWAC is also in (at least) War of the Colossal Man and Teenaged Crime Wave.

James Dean is the reason Rebel Without a Cause was good, that and the fact that the other actors could at least keep up with him. And Griffith Observatory is in everything; it's a famous LA landmark just northeast of Hollywood.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Dawgstar posted:

Agreed, High School Big Shot is underrated, imo.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I guess I'm the outlier who doesn't enjoy the B&W teenage morality films that much. I mean yeah, its prime riffing material, but the films themselves are almost painful for me to sit through, even with A-tier riffing. I think its because I just can't shut off the part of my brain that gets angry at what was considered mainstream morality in that era. Teenage Crime Wave is one of the worst for me, because how little the film addresses the fact that the protagonist gets screwed by the system and her parents (ironically due to that antiquated morality the film is promoting), then says 'well it all worked out for her in the end, so keep being good I guess.'

The only one I really enjoyed was Girls' Town, and that's mainly because the titular institution is actually pretty progressive by standards of that era.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paper Kaiju posted:

The only one I really enjoyed was Girls' Town, and that's mainly because the titular institution is actually pretty progressive by standards of that era.

I see what you did there.

Hellcats is another fun one, although I was surprised at just how many musical numbers you could get away with while being indentured to a teenage work camp.

Kitten With a Whip might fall into this category too, but I love it regardless.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 13, 2018

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I Accuse My Parents is awesome because it's a 1940s morality play -- made in 1944. Jimmy is [supposed to be] just about the same age my dad was when the film was made. I've got photos of him wearing similar clothes, but sadly, he didn't end up with mob ties because his parents gave him lots of money (in 1944 he ended up in the Mediterranean on a supply ship).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ms Boods posted:

I Accuse My Parents is awesome because it's a 1940s morality play -- made in 1944. Jimmy is [supposed to be] just about the same age my dad was when the film was made. I've got photos of him wearing similar clothes, but sadly, he didn't end up with mob ties because his parents gave him lots of money (in 1944 he ended up in the Mediterranean on a supply ship).

Did he at least meet a cherubic short order cook who put him back on the right path?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Yeah, I accuse my parents is pretty great, it helps though that Jimmy is such a gently caress-up with all the pointless lies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It doesn't help that it is very unclear as to how old Jimmy is supposed to be. He's still in high school at the beginning of the movie but by the time the mob ties kick in it seems like he's graduated (but still living at home.) He's definitely old enough that his parents shouldn't have been coming up in trial.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dawgstar posted:

I see what you did there.

You do? Because I sure don't.

For content, while I got into MST3K via their giant monster episodes, my favorites are the Italian films. Particularly the spy/crime thrillers i.e. Secret Agent Super Dragon, Danger Death Ray, Operation Double 007, and Diabolik, but also the genre knockoffs like Warrior of the Lost World, Escape 2000, Pumaman, and all of the CC-era Hercules films. I'm really happy that the revival got Starcrash and The Christmas That Almost Wasn't, and really hope they continue to get more for future seasons.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Did he at least meet a cherubic short order cook who put him back on the right path?

Ah, the stories he could tell.

And my mum's nickname was Shorty.

:chef:

And now Thom McAn and the Payless Orchestra, with Cole Haan on the saxophone, then the Naturalizers will sing something by Johnston & Murphy.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The plot to I Accuse My Parents isn't really terribly different than movies like The Freshman or Mickey Blue Eyes or probably dozens of others, which follow the same basic formula of love-struck, naive guy does dumb poo poo and gets in way too deep with the mob. It would probably be a half decent movie without the ridiculous courtroom framing story. But without the courtroom framing story it would barely be an hour long.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Simplex posted:

The plot to I Accuse My Parents isn't really terribly different than movies like The Freshman or Mickey Blue Eyes or probably dozens of others, which follow the same basic formula of love-struck, naive guy does dumb poo poo and gets in way too deep with the mob. It would probably be a half decent movie without the ridiculous courtroom framing story. But without the courtroom framing story it would barely be an hour long.

Also just the remarkably earnest nature is hilarious, especially from Jimmy himself. Since we're among friends here, I've also always been amused by 40s and 50s' era movies' depictions of public intoxication.* ("Ah, yes, Mrs., um, Lush, was it?")

*See also the drunk DJ from The Giant Gila Monster. ("Boy, alcoholism sure is a hoot.")

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Cemetry Gator posted:

Juvenile Delinquent: "They're shooting back!"
Servo: "The bastards!"

One of my favorite riffs.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

You do? Because I sure don't.

For content, while I got into MST3K via their giant monster episodes, my favorites are the Italian films. Particularly the spy/crime thrillers i.e. Secret Agent Super Dragon, Danger Death Ray, Operation Double 007, and Diabolik, but also the genre knockoffs like Warrior of the Lost World, Escape 2000, Pumaman, and all of the CC-era Hercules films. I'm really happy that the revival got Starcrash and The Christmas That Almost Wasn't, and really hope they continue to get more for future seasons.

Have you ever seen the Atlantean Interceptors?

It's Italian to the max. Some American actors, a nonsensical story, and it's completely off the wall. I hope they get to riff it someday.

But the Italian films are great because they resemble bigger budget films, but there's something just off about them.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's Italian to the max. Some American actors, a nonsensical story, and it's completely off the wall. I hope they get to riff it someday.

But the Italian films are great because they resemble bigger budget films, but there's something just off about them.

There's a great rifftrax of The Last Shark, an italian Jaws rip off from 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyYDGNLqT0

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I love Italian movies. To paraphrase someone I heard or read years ago; We make movies and we get Frank Frazetta to paint an awesome poster for it. The Italians take that Frank Frazetta Poster and make a movie based on it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Reince Penis posted:

There's a great rifftrax of The Last Shark, an italian Jaws rip off from 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyYDGNLqT0

And they put up the MST3K version of Devil Fish, too. You'll recall it as a look into the intensely erotic lives of electronics repairmen and many Italians pretending to be Floridians.

Here's a question - has RiffTrax ever talked about doing a Neil Breen film, or is it just too easy? (Or have they done something like 'I'm Here... Now!' and I just didn't notice, which is very possible.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
which italian shark movie had vadinho in it?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

which italian shark movie had vadinho in it?

The Bermuda Triangle.

While it did have sharks, it was more of an evil possessed doll movie.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Ah, I forgot all about Devil Fish. And Rifftrax did The Last Shark and The Bermuda Triangle, which were both great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Bermuda Triangle also stars Miguel Angel Fuentes aka Vidinho from Pumaman.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So I never watched any of the RiffTrax vods. I started with them way back when they were just the MP3 that you would play along side a mainstream movie, and by the time they started doing their own stuff on the things they could get the rights to I had kind of moved on to other hobbies and TV shows. I've gone to every single live show, but I never got around to watching any of their online stuff recently. I found out about their twitch channel yesterday and I watched a few hours of it while doing chores around the house. One of the things I saw was Fun in Balloonland, so I guess my question is what did we do to make God forsake us?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The last shark had a pretty great poster, I have it on my wall.
I lovingly refer to that film as fat Jaws...the shark is a bit of a chunker.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rydiafan posted:

So I never watched any of the RiffTrax vods. I started with them way back when they were just the MP3 that you would play along side a mainstream movie, and by the time they started doing their own stuff on the things they could get the rights to I had kind of moved on to other hobbies and TV shows. I've gone to every single live show, but I never got around to watching any of their online stuff recently. I found out about their twitch channel yesterday and I watched a few hours of it while doing chores around the house. One of the things I saw was Fun in Balloonland, so I guess my question is what did we do to make God forsake us?

Fun in Balloonland does fundamentally alter you at the spiritual level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

rydiafan posted:

Do you want a list?