Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm gonna be That Bitch and point out that if she's that desperate to keep together an abused family and brush what happened under the rug, what she needs is therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The entire family does.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

http://aitaikimochi.tumblr.com/post/176582147241/bnha-two-heroes-manga-all-might-rising

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Japan doesn't really do the whole "therapists" thing, though. It's considered too shameful to even acknowledge that there's even a problem

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Doesn't mean she doesn't need one.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

you really do feel bad for All Might, and this panel adds into the idea that he defies the odds to live to be a father to Midoriya

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Both of Nana's grandsons are going to battle to the death, it's gonna be great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

Both of Nana's grandsons are going to battle to the death, it's gonna be great.

We can't really consider Deku a Grandson.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

We can't really consider Deku a Grandson.

grandson through double adoption

nana was all might's mother figure and all might is deku's father figure

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah, Shigaraki is the physical descendant while Midoriya is the spiritual descendant.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Unless Nana's son could breath fire and Tomura and Deku are half brothers!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tomura's dad is dead while deku's is merely deadbeat

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

tomura's dad is dead while deku's is merely deadbeat

It turns out he's just really bad at deciding on a cigarette brand.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't All Might say Inko was similar to Nana?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

deku's mom also said that his dad is alive and working overseas

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Manatee Cannon posted:

I swear this is the Japanese equivalent to "went out to buy cigarettes".

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

I swear this is the Japanese equivalent to "went out to buy cigarettes".

inko doesn't work and the midoriya family still has a pretty nice place

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Working dad All for One provides for his family. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Honestly, I am pretty curious what his deal will be, when he inevitably appears in the story. Because working overseas or not, its kinda ridiculous that he didn't at least call when his quirkless son suddenly manifested a powerful quirk. Or when he enrolled in the best hero school in japan. Or when his quirk send him to the hospital for xth time. Or when he was attacked by terrorists for xth time. Or.....

Like he is either a secret agent under total communication blackout or supreme rear end in a top hat.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Or, you know, the story just didn't cover those moments and it happened off-screen, like most of the time spent in school.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Terper posted:

Or, you know, the story just didn't cover those moments and it happened off-screen, like most of the time spent in school.

"What do you mean son? I have always been there for you" and then we'll get every panel expanded to reveal his dad was just off panel.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deku's dad exists but will never show up because Horikoshi wants Deku to have a father figure in All Might but not have the baggage of having a dead dad or one who abandoned his family.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Terper posted:

I hope not - going "I was in contact with my family the whole time!" with Dekus father would be the worst possible way of handling it.

The story already established that unlike most shonen, in Hero Academia the relationships between children and their parents are important and worth getting focus. It also established that Dekus relationship with his parents is important and worth getting focus - his mother, despite being regular housewife is an important character in the story and the absence of Dekus father in his life is also extremely obvious. Not explaining why Dekus father is a complete non-entity in the story so far and instead going " actually his father was also part of his life this whole time! Just off-screen! Without any character ever mentioning anything about it! Or without single reaction from Deku! Or without a single hint that Deku was in contact with his father! But he was totally there for him!" would be pretty horrible writing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deku's relationship with his mom is important and has gotten legitimate focus and development same Todoroki and his parents but that's about it. Like the parents of other kids exist and all but I don't think the relationship between children and their parents is especially a theme of the story or anything.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

you really do feel bad for All Might, and this panel adds into the idea that he defies the odds to live to be a father to Midoriya

yeah he's basically holding on by the tiniest thread just to keep teaching Deku a bit longer, almost everyone has said he really should be dead

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lady i'm not sure if you're aware but your father is kind of a monster who utterly ruins everything he touches

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
touya suggests murder

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

drjuggalo posted:

touya suggests murder

"WOOOOOOOOO DAUGHTER SISTER, WHATEVER, IT IS I THE SPIRIT OF THAT GUY YOU MISS. YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY FORGIVE YOUR FATHER"

"why do you sound exactly like dad"

"I'M A REAL CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, WHATEVER MY NAME IS"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Deku's relationship with his mom is important and has gotten legitimate focus and development same Todoroki and his parents but that's about it. Like the parents of other kids exist and all but I don't think the relationship between children and their parents is especially a theme of the story or anything.

Well, people have pointed out All Might acting as a father figure for Deku, and Nana for All Might, which while not blood relationships are/were close ones. Also, for one people haven't mentioned (well, both characters were brought up, but not together for some reason), All For One and Shigaraki, for a dark mirror of things.

Edit: Wait you were one of the people pointing the first thing out, whoops.

Anyway, for people who haven't gotten as much focus in a while, Ochako's parents and Iida's brother (not a parent but an important family member he looks up to, and his family in general is a big thing for him) were both major parts of their motivations before they stopped being relevant.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 14, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
My Hero Academia Manga: Daddy issues

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Everyone keeps going on about Enji's crimes but I wanna see how AFO and All Might were raised to see how the former got so evil as a result.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Everyone keeps going on about Enji's crimes but I wanna see how AFO and All Might were raised to see how the former got so evil as a result.

All for One was pretty frank about it, he didn't have some big freudian excuse to do what he did

one day he just went "I WANNA BE REALLY FUKKEN EVIL" and his Quirk gave him the means to follow his dreams

inspirational, really

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

Honestly, I am pretty curious what his deal will be, when he inevitably appears in the story. Because working overseas or not, its kinda ridiculous that he didn't at least call when his quirkless son suddenly manifested a powerful quirk. Or when he enrolled in the best hero school in japan. Or when his quirk send him to the hospital for xth time. Or when he was attacked by terrorists for xth time. Or.....

Like he is either a secret agent under total communication blackout or supreme rear end in a top hat.

I kinda figured it was like a divorce but unofficial. So he is just having a portion of his salary sent home, like alimony, to take care of his responsibilities. I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up with Deku doing overseas training but I don't see him showing up in the same panels as Deku-mom at all. Almost see it more likely to be a filler/recap episode in the anime. Deku being sent near Deku-dad's work. Awkward call on the phone. Deku having a training reason to be there. Them meeting for tea or ramen and Deku doing a flashback recap of his time since getting OFA. Then Deku gets a call about an emergency, starts to run out and his dad grabs his arm and says "I'm proud of you". Deku tears up a bit, too choked up to reply and runs off to do hero things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you're overthinking this imo. deku mom literally said he's working overseas and that's probably all there is to it. he's not important to the narrative because all might is deku's father figure. he might show up but I don't think he's gonna be a villain or that he's divorced or w/e

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

as a huge mons fan and a huge mha fan these are incredible!

also i love that deku is wearing Ippo Makunouchi's trunks in his pic too, this is really good work

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
If they do go the "Deku's dad is a villain" route, I want him to be some low level petty criminal or something and not some super powered mega villain like I see some people theorizing. Like, his "overseas job" is just him selling illegal merchandise to various criminals all over the world. I want him to be like, evil middle management for a bigger organization.

I also hope he's awkward as gently caress and doesn't know how to interact with his son. "Sooo do you like...heroes?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

you're overthinking this imo. deku mom literally said he's working overseas and that's probably all there is to it. he's not important to the narrative because all might is deku's father figure. he might show up but I don't think he's gonna be a villain or that he's divorced or w/e

the next time he calls home for christmas he'd better hope his minutes are paid up, because he's going to be on the phone for a while

inko's probably got a presentation with slides prepared

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm gonna be That Bitch and point out that if she's that desperate to keep together an abused family and brush what happened under the rug, what she needs is therapy.

No therapy in Japan.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi said at sdcc that Midoriya's father will be shown at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The fire-breathing quirk line is all an act to cover for his real quirk: always appearing to be overseas.