Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can confirm every UK RHD vehicle I've come across have stereos with volume on the left. Suck it up buttercup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

Just do what EVERYONE in Australia has to do, lean 4" further to get to the volume knob.

EVERY single aftermarket head unit on the market in Australia has the volume controls oriented for Wrong hand drive cars.

This is true and I never noticed until just now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All stereos are designed for MURRICANS.

Sorry bout your nations bros.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Just do what EVERYONE in Australia has to do, lean 4" further to get to the volume knob.

EVERY single aftermarket head unit on the market in Australia has the volume controls oriented for Wrong hand drive cars.

This. Even Japanese import cars I had growing up had the volume on the left.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I was about to smugly post pictures of volume knobs and buttons on the right side of the head unit till I realized they are all OEM units, all the aftermarket ones are indeed on the left side of the unit. Truly though I've never actually noticed them being harder to use though every time I swap cars around.
Femtosecond, I'd focus on getting a unit that doesn't look like a super-blink disco and that more blends in with your interior. Those Continental units are always great looking for this.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
I have a double DIN JVC unit with the volume in the middle. So much effort saved by not stretching those extra 2 inches.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, radio controls are generally on the wrong side of the fascia, but unless you're strapped into a harness or you have T-Rex arm proportions, it's not that much of an issue.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My wife has t-rex arm proportions, but she has wheel-mounted stereo controls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

My wife has t-rex arm proportions, but she has wheel-mounted stereo controls.

I had a Clarion deck that came with wheel mounted control fob.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Can confirm every UK RHD vehicle I've come across have stereos with volume on the left. Suck it up buttercup.

:negative:

Thanks for the info guys. Time to go down to my neighbourhood car radio dealer and see what they have that is least offensively bad.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Can one of y’all tell me what form a “booking or docket #” is on? I just need it and my VIN for my Shipper to pick up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are they referring to your booking of their service, or to the original jaunt on the boat from Japan?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Are they referring to your booking of their service, or to the original jaunt on the boat from Japan?

Something dealing with it at port I just have the kids all weekend trying to make it easy to locate ha

EDIT:

This may help others doing this. At the port I had to just call and create a delivery order for the driver to pick up. There is a $73.50 handling fee at the port that has to be paid over the phone. Your most important # for everyone is the BILL OF LADING and then the VIN it is all handled through that.

everdave fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 13, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

:negative:

Thanks for the info guys. Time to go down to my neighbourhood car radio dealer and see what they have that is least offensively bad.

Install it upside down :haw:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Someone brought a Honda beat to the autocross this Sunday. I want one so bad now, it was the most :3: thing I've ever seen.

It also got more love from the Honda crowd than the new nsx HART was racing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

Someone brought a Honda beat to the autocross this Sunday. I want one so bad now, it was the most :3: thing I've ever seen.

It also got more love from the Honda crowd than the new nsx HART was racing.

Well they aren’t relatively expensive get one. Just not really any money to be made on most. I bid on them looking for one

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

There was a Beat on BaT that didn't hit the reserve at $5500. But it didn't have the :krad: zebra seats. No fuckin' way I'd consider buying one without those.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

There was a Beat on BaT that didn't hit the reserve at $5500. But it didn't have the :krad: zebra seats. No fuckin' way I'd consider buying one without those.

Excuse me, they are white tiger seats not zebra, get it together bub.

Today I started digging into the Pajero's insides. I have a new steam cleaner machine and boy is it nice for lots of things. Specifically with this smoker-the-whole-time-owner the steamer is good for making what looks like coffee as you brush it across the various interior plastic bits.

And the headliner.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My driver is with my Majesta at port and IT WON'T loving START OR TAKE A BOOST AND THE FENDER GOT BENT. FML.

He has a winch. I have no choice but to tell him to drag it home to me.

Yeah this is fun.

EDIT: how do I handle this? there was no bent fender in Japan wtf

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

My driver is with my Majesta at port and IT WON'T loving START OR TAKE A BOOST AND THE FENDER GOT BENT. FML.

He has a winch. I have no choice but to tell him to drag it home to me.

Yeah this is fun.

No idea about the fender but I assume your driver has a battery jump box? It's common for the battery to be dead after a couple months on not-fully-locked position on the ignition. Especially if it has the button thing you have to press to get the keys out.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I've used a light mixture of 2butoxyethanol (aka LA's Totally Awesome) and an ultrasonic cleaner to do things like that light fixture. Simple Green sometimes deglosses certain plastics.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

everdave posted:

Insurance. Someone presumably had a policy, which you presumably paid for in some way.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Update:

Driver got it started by swapping fuses (?). He reports it absolutely runs like a brand new car. He said the inside looks like a brand new car (but dirty).

On the truck. Be here Thursday. I will assess from there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Leperflesh posted:

Insurance. Someone presumably had a policy, which you presumably paid for in some way.
Not to pre-empt those with more knowledge and experience (or be negative for the sake of it), but I'd expect the port to blame the boat, the boat to blame the port, and regardless of getting it to stick to either of them, I believe marine shipping insurance is somewhat dickish for anything other than a total loss.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Not to pre-empt those with more knowledge and experience (or be negative for the sake of it), but I'd expect the port to blame the boat, the boat to blame the port, and regardless of getting it to stick to either of them, I believe marine shipping insurance is somewhat dickish for anything other than a total loss.

I am fully aware of the poo poo show that would be trying to get someone to take blame if this got loose on the boat or somebody banged it at port. I just feel better after the second report from the driver.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Excuse me, they are white tiger seats not zebra, get it together bub.

Today I started digging into the Pajero's insides. I have a new steam cleaner machine and boy is it nice for lots of things. Specifically with this smoker-the-whole-time-owner the steamer is good for making what looks like coffee as you brush it across the various interior plastic bits.

And the headliner.

What steam cleaner are you using, and would you recommend it, if you don't mind? I'm tired of scrubbing stuff, and my AE86 is really in need.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Darchangel posted:

What steam cleaner are you using, and would you recommend it, if you don't mind? I'm tired of scrubbing stuff, and my AE86 is really in need.

I bumped into this on craigslist for $200. https://www.amazon.com/Mytee-HP60-Extractor-HP-60/dp/B000VHHU0A

It's awesome for car carpet cleaning.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

I bumped into this on craigslist for $200. https://www.amazon.com/Mytee-HP60-Extractor-HP-60/dp/B000VHHU0A

It's awesome for car carpet cleaning.

That looks like a carpet cleaner not a steam cleaner.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

This one although I haven't done much carpet with it. It's been excellent for just obliterating the cigarette tar. Generally I'd have to go through a ton of cleaning products but now I've just been using distilled water, magic erasers, and a poo poo-ton of paper towels.
So far it's been excellent, produces a lot of steam and since this one has a control knob you can adjust how much steam you need at any time which I take advantage of because different tools change how the steam comes out meaning you can adjust it on the fly.

This Pajero is so goddamned dirty, gently caress.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

This Pajero is so goddamned dirty, gently caress.

:stare:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

If you want a fairly cheap restoration to trim pieces I have been using this on the 300zx to resto the trim :
https://www.amazon.com/SEM-15013-La...TV41XKDGH6DKFXJ

You would have to try and color match (also the paint place by me will match if I wanted to. However , it works really really well for trim pieces. Let it cure for 24 hours and it wont scratch or chip unless you are purposefully trying to take it off. Some other 300zx forums guys have used it on the carpet and the T top leather carry bags and say it wont chip or crack with movement which is insane.

I am almost done with the back half of the 300zx , I will post pictures in that thread so you can see how it looks, I have been very very impressed.

edit: they also have a bunch of colors so go check out their website.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That looks like a carpet cleaner not a steam cleaner.

It's not billed as "steam," I think it skirts the requirements by listing it's temperature as 210*, but it sure is steam that comes out. Man it trashes stains in carpet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe because it looks commercial grade? Idk, but the steam cleaner kaker posted has some pretty bad reviews on amazon, and if you got that thing for 200 you stole it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Maybe because it looks commercial grade? Idk, but the steam cleaner kaker posted has some pretty bad reviews on amazon, and if you got that thing for 200 you stole it.

Idk, but it works.

Also, back on track, I have an older version of the one Kaker linked and I agree, those things are wicked for some things. I stole it from a buddy to take the window tint off the MR2 that I flipped. I've used it to remove tint on a couple cars since then and it's great. It also really blasts tough smaller stains, too. Real steam is really good.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve got the majesta. It’s pretty awesome. Electrics are dead af. No dash no power but it runs. Everything that was supposed to be in the trunk is gone. Thoughts? All stolen or taken.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I’ve got the majesta. It’s pretty awesome. Electrics are dead af. No dash no power but it runs. Everything that was supposed to be in the trunk is gone. Thoughts? All stolen or taken.

Didn't the driver swap a fuse? Maybe that's the fuse that's now busted.

EDIT
As for the stuff in the trunk, contact Japan Car Direct and see.

As for me I've got clearance to pick up my other AZ-1, Jimny and Pajero. I'm supposed to have a front bullbar and luggage racks for the Pajero that were actually inventoried so I'll let you guys know if those showed up like they were supposed to. I should have them on Friday.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

If you want a fairly cheap restoration to trim pieces I have been using this on the 300zx to resto the trim :
https://www.amazon.com/SEM-15013-La...TV41XKDGH6DKFXJ

You would have to try and color match (also the paint place by me will match if I wanted to. However , it works really really well for trim pieces. Let it cure for 24 hours and it wont scratch or chip unless you are purposefully trying to take it off. Some other 300zx forums guys have used it on the carpet and the T top leather carry bags and say it wont chip or crack with movement which is insane.

I am almost done with the back half of the 300zx , I will post pictures in that thread so you can see how it looks, I have been very very impressed.

edit: they also have a bunch of colors so go check out their website.

I'm just going to get it clean and not smelling like an ashtray, although I do thank you for this as I might do it for our personal cars. The Pajero is a very solid and clean truck underneath it's just been smoked it and never cleaned since 1989. The steamer is shinning through when it comes to taking small stains out of the the carpet though, it's fantastic to just use steam instead of a bunch of cleaners. Steam also seems to be killing the smell too as I go, the ozone generator will come after its all set to make sure.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 16, 2018

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

Didn't the driver swap a fuse? Maybe that's the fuse that's now busted.

EDIT
As for the stuff in the trunk, contact Japan Car Direct and see.

As for me I've got clearance to pick up my other AZ-1, Jimny and Pajero. I'm supposed to have a front bullbar and luggage racks for the Pajero that were actually inventoried so I'll let you guys know if those showed up like they were supposed to. I should have them on Friday.

I'm just going to get it clean and not smelling like an ashtray, although I do thank you for this as I might do it for our personal cars. The Pajero is a very solid and clean truck underneath it's just been smoked it and never cleaned since 1989. The steamer is shinning through when it comes to taking small stains out of the the carpet though, it's fantastic to just use steam instead of a bunch of cleaners. Steam also seems to be killing the smell too as I go, the ozone generator will come after its all set to make sure.

When I was living in Japan, I bought an Atrai-7 that'd been smoked in pretty regularly. A night or two of the O3 machine knocked out 80% of the tobacco stink. The remained 20% faded over the next six months or so, in the meantime you only noticed it when you first got in.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well aside from nothing working on the car it is actually very clean. Looks garaged the paint is shiny after 2 months voyage. Both my neighbor and my lady friend actually commented that it smelled nice and fresh inside.

Also hood is not “popping” from inside latch any tips? I don’t want to break anything. Plenty of room from under bumper to reach up there where ever the latch is.

And I assume the trunk if not the hood are electrically assisted. The trunk has to weigh 200 pounds and it has massive hinges but no struts to keep it up. There are buttons inside to open the trunk (but I have no electrics)

everdave fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 16, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I assume there's two ignition fusible links, and one of them is blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

I assume there's two ignition fusible links, and one of them is blown.

Would you think it is one of the blade fuses or in the relays?

I went and picked up fuses but I won't be able to do anything but order or go try to pick up relays until maybe even Tuesday. Thanks for any info or thoughts.

Also Kaker this thread is missing gratuitous import glamour shots.