Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
btw when's kosuzu gonna be in a game @korindo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
https://soranews24.com/2018/08/10/tokyo-politician-creates-dojinshi-manga-will-be-at-comiket-selling-it/

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Typical fake news. Mokou's like 19, not "a young girl". I swear, journalistic standards just aren't what they used to be.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
using touhou to teach about how the modern japanese government is run, drawn by a government official, amazing.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
He's been pretty up-front about his interests and he's been really pushing for Ota-ku to be a hub for other doujin fairs and cosplay meet-ups. He's also been seen wearing the Tenshi-themed glasses sold by Eyemirror at assembly meetings.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Doggo is under attack by cruel anti-doggo protesters. Vote in this poll to determine the fate of doggo in the translation. https://www.strawpoll.me/16264424
I'm the guy lurking in this thread so I can talk poo poo about you on your blog. You ""goons"" are all smug about your pro-doggo counterprotest right now, but just you wait. This time tomorrow it'll be on the front page of all the papers: "Screwing the Pooch: Disgraced Translator Sparks Dog Row".

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
You're all clueless buffoons, the correct translation is clearly "Woofer". "#WooferPic"

:smug:

no i'm actually serious about this stop laughing at me

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

I started playing Touhou recently and I can't stop thinking about how cute Wriggle Nightbug is. Please provide me with the cutest Wriggle fanart you have so that I can turn into mush over my favorite bug girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbcIF78vzo4

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Steam page is up. The current theory is it will be released sooner rather than later in September, as it will hit doujin shops on the last day of August. https://store.steampowered.com/app/924650/__Violet_Detector/

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hello esteemed Touhou goons! I am admittedly still very green in matters concerning Touhou aside from liking Shooter / Bullet Hell games and having played:
  • The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
  • Double Dealing Character
I've grown to like the franchise from a distance. I'm aware that Touhou fanon is a thing (and that's how I've come to really like Kagerou) but tell me: Has Zun released any manga/novel material that can be considered canon? Keep on prolonging the magic. :)

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

There's a lot of written side material, including many manga written by ZUN but drawn by a wide selection of artists

https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Official_Literature

There are two currently running manga, Wild and Horned Hermit which delves a bit into the behind the scenes powers that run the Touhou World but also just has Reimu goofing off. Also Visionary Fairies in Shrine, which is a continuation of previous manga about fairies just living their carefree lives

https://mangadex.org/title/2307/touhou-ibara-kasen-wild-and-horned-hermit
https://mangadex.org/title/23068/touhou-sangetsusei-visionary-fairies-in-shrine

As well as the recently completed Forbidden Scrollery which is being officially released in english so you can buy it wherever

https://mangadex.org/title/7266/touhou-suzunaan-forbidden-scrollery

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 25, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wark Say posted:

I've grown to like the franchise from a distance. I'm aware that Touhou fanon is a thing (and that's how I've come to really like Kagerou) but tell me: Has Zun released any manga/novel material that can be considered canon? Keep on prolonging the magic. :)
There are a lot of official comics. Forbidden Scrollery has an official English release, and there are fan-translations of a lot of the unlicensed stuff.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sweet! I will dive into it. Appreciate it. :dance:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Hello esteemed Touhou goons! I am admittedly still very green in matters concerning Touhou aside from liking Shooter / Bullet Hell games and having played:
I've grown to like the franchise from a distance. I'm aware that Touhou fanon is a thing (and that's how I've come to really like Kagerou) but tell me: Has Zun released any manga/novel material that can be considered canon? And thanks for prolonging the magic. :)
Boy are there ever!
Silent Sinner in Blue, set as a sequel to TH8 Imerpishable Night. It's got fun moments. Assholes on & of the moon! Complete
Forbidden Scrollery, a more recent really solid series that focuses on a human girl who runs a bookshop in the village. Shenanigans Ensue. Has a lot of stuff about the politics of the yokai and the village. Multiple games in the series happen in the background/between chapters. Complete
The three fairies of light have four manga. Eastern & Little Nature Deity, Strange & Bright Nature Deity, Oriental Sacred Place and the latest is an ongoing series called Visonairy Fairies in Shrine. The latest one features breakout fairy character, Clownpiece, joinging their gang. They're all mostly slice of life type things with the fairies causing mischief.
Wild & Horned Hermit has been running for years, is ongoing, and focuses on Kasen, a hermit.

Reimu & Marisa appear all the time in all these, obviously, alongside whatever other characters strikes the story's fancy.

SSiB also has a light novel (?) companion piece called Cage in Lunatic Red and a 4koma collection focusing on Reisen & Tewi called Inaba of the Earth and Inaba of the Moon. I didn't read CiLR butthe 4koma collection is pretty cute!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Forbidden Scrollery in particular is very good, and I'm interested in how scrutable it is to someone who isn't already a Touhou tragic, if you want to be my test subject.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Silent Sinner in Blue mind was ZUN's first non-episodic manga and was interwoven with chapters from Cage in Lunatic Runagate to be fully experienced, so it's really rough in comparison to all his future ones. It's still worth reading but I think mainly by going back to it.
The Three Fairies series is just some goofy fun and a fine read.
Wild and Horned Hermit starts out really rough (Azuma Aya had a really rough and loose art style when it first started,) but eventually comes into its own both visually and storytelling-wise and has been really particularly good as of the past few years.
Forbidden Scrollery is excellent from start to finish. 100% recommend, it's the best and most cohesive Touhou manga with a unique tone and excellent art.

Aside from the manga there's also the art/lorebooks, too, which are really good on the whole. Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red has a lot of early series stories and fun in it, Perfect Memento in Strict Sense is a big setting lorebook with descriptions on what youkai are and has character bios for almost every character from 6 to 9. The Grimoire of Marisa is a fun and unique read, with a novel concept (It's Marisa providing commentary about the spellcards of a huge number of characters. ZUN even describes it half-jokingly as an "in-universe let's play".) Symposium of Post-Mysticism is a lorebook like PMiSS, but from 10 to 13, and also has a really excellent in-universe religious debate and discussion on the status of Gensokyo in the aftermath of three specific characters all showing up one-after-another. And then having come out just recently is the really excellent Alternative Facts in Eastern Utopia, which is mainly ZUN flexing his parody and political satire muscles.

Also is ZUN's serialized novel of sorts Curiosities of Lotus Asia, which came out from like... 2004 to 2007, then suddenly came back in 2015 after 8 years of absence. It's about the sole important male character who also shows up in the manga from time to time, and how he's the biggest moron who thinks he knows everything in the world.

On top of all that, there's the music CDs, which tell a separate but in-universe story of the outside world in the future. Each one comes with a short story, and they have a very distinctly melancholic and different tone from the rest of the series. Also the first one is completely unrelated to the next like eight and is straight-up a horror nursery story, it's wild.

ZUN's a really unique writer and his stuff is really fun to read and I've read all of it at least once, most of it twice.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wark Say posted:

:wave: thank you for dropping by! I hope you stay a bit. It’s a quiet thread, unless there is news.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Just here to add my voice to the Forbidden Scrollery pile; It's easily my favorite thing in touhou. Recommended if you like good art, mystery stories, demon politicking, and Marisa doing cool stuff.

FS represents touhou really coming into its own with regards to characterization and story and I like it a lot.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Make a Forbidden Scrollery anime, cowards. You'd sell literal dozens of blurays.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
To add to the Forbidden Scrollery chat, I absolutely adore Moe Harukawa's art style and think it fits in perfectly with the Touhou series.

She also does the art for the most recent fighting games.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Moe Harukawa's character art is pretty cool but what I really dig is her scenery and crowd shots

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Moe Harukawa's character art is pretty cool but what I really dig is her scenery and crowd shots

all the "background" characters in general are pretty interesting, they're all drawn so differently than the main cast.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://rabbiteclair.tumblr.com/post/177421409972/clownpiece-real

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I failed to take a picture of this wondrous occasion but I will all like to inform you that as of today, 08/27/2018, Clownpiece cracked the top 3 of my Tohosort knocking down a useless little bunny to a mere forth place.

Never forget to fear Clownpiece.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Man, I haven't done a tohosort in years.

Apparently Sumireko is my second favourite character now. Checks out. She's the worst, I love her.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sekibanki steps forward.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Man, I haven't done a tohosort in years.

I've been a fan of Touhou for like a decade now and I've loved watching the tohosort go from a bit annoying to "oh god this takes two hours"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I've been a fan of Touhou for like a decade now and I've loved watching the tohosort go from a bit annoying to "oh god this takes two hours"
I treated it like that part of an eye exam where they ask you which lens looks clearer: don't overthink it, just say the first thing you think of.

It still took like half an hour. I had to take a break in the middle.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
If you have ties in your sort you're a coward

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I tied most of the PC98 characters, because I literally couldn't identify them from just their name and mugshot. There are three different characters called Elly, Ellen, and Elis, all with blonde hair? Are you kidding me, '90s ZUN?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what kind of fake touhou fan cant tell elly, ellen, and ellis apart

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Honestly feel free to just not rank PC-98 tho, that's fine.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Mima is the best 2hu girl.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

If you have ties in your sort you're a coward

The Aki Sisters are a singular entity.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It's fine, I've made peace with my cowardice.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Justus posted:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

what kind of fake touhou fan cant tell elly, ellen, and ellis apart

I am the fake touhou fan.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Justus posted:

I'll tell you where Mima belongs: tied for 97th with Unnamed Book-Reading Youkai and 22 other irrelevant losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Justus posted:

We have the :wrong: smilie, y'know. No need to post cursed gifs.