Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1028960348383010822

That pretty amazing and a great instinct by Hall

That’s Scott Hall, not Dusty.

Also, oh my goodness all that wrestling was absurd. Kota’s moonsault knees are the most brutal aerial move I’ve seen in years. It’s beautiful. He is beautiful. And like everyone else on the planet, I am a Tana believer now - he’s great at everything. Everyone in the main G1 scene can do one thing better - Zack’s holds, Ishii’s brawling, Kota’s strikes, Okada’s finale structure - but nobody has the all around storytelling and presence of Tanahashi.

We live in blessed times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1028960348383010822

That pretty amazing and a great instinct by Hall

There's a bunch of examples of Hall just deciding "This kid has what it takes" and deciding he's gonna job. He did it with Waltman, did it with Jericho (although he later threatened to "put an end to his little Terry Taylor push"), and Tanahashi, too.

I've actually heard a few people say "someone needs to let Hall have the book" because his instincts are strong.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was sold on Tanahashi when I was going out of my way to watch later day Keiji Mutoh matches cause he was my favorite wrestler at the time due to his crazy for the time style change up and it led me to that Wrestle Kingdom where Tana took the IWGP belt from him. It felt like such a big deal and Tanahashi had a me from that point on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was sold on Tanahashi when NOAH reached the point of no return and I had to find a new Kobashi.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I was sold on Tanahashi when NOAH reached the point of no return and I had to find a new Kobashi.

There was a 2010 match in NOAH where Tanahashi was facing Go Shiozaki who was yet another attempt for NOAH to find the next guy. Watching that match and Tanahashi playing full heel so good he got the NOAH crowd to turn for him and it's pretty clear why New Japan recovered and NOAH started to decline majorly

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Go Ace

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!

coconono posted:

Speaking of Tanahashi, I found what I believe to be his acting debut, as Gouki in Garo: Ashura. It was a NJPW x Garo collab. It also has Makabe as well. Tana's a dude that turns into a gold knight to wreck monsters and Makabe's a badass monster.

Interesting. What are their characters in the show like?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The Cameo posted:

It’s that first slap that seems to shake Kota, and then Tana just keeps coming at him and he’s like “why won’t he go down oh no”

This is one of the best hulk up spots ever.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
What's Cody Hall up to anyway? Isn't he in NJPW?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I haven't been able to watch the last night yet (last day of vacation and travel and whatnot), but

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

fart blood posted:

What's Cody Hall up to anyway? Isn't he in NJPW?
No, he's in NOAH now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dr. Dirt posted:

Interesting. What are their characters in the show like?

Tanahashi is the first Makai Knight, who teaches two young boys traumatized by Makabe's thugs how to learn to live again.

Makabe's a bad man. He's steals the young boy's older sister as she's getting bathed to impress Tanahashi to stay. It wouldn't be a Garo show without some suggested nudity and scantily clad women.

its like a whole 30 minutes so they don't really do much other than belt out a few lines of dialogue and get to the action sequences. These are largely 3D graphics showing off the sweet Garo suit and Makabe's monster form. Which are punctuated by picture in picture bits of Tanahashi and Makabe scowling and grunting. Makabe clearly loves being a bad guy and Tanahashi does his best strong style faces.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
tanahashi hits a high fly flow on demon makabe

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

SatoshiMiwa posted:

There was a 2010 match in NOAH where Tanahashi was facing Go Shiozaki who was yet another attempt for NOAH to find the next guy. Watching that match and Tanahashi playing full heel so good he got the NOAH crowd to turn for him and it's pretty clear why New Japan recovered and NOAH started to decline majorly

Tana deserves a special place and reverence in history as an ace when business was down and times were tough, and him on top turned the ship around. Has to be a uniquely lonely, stressful station in life.

Bret was similar to a degree, but left right as things were really turning around. Tana on the other hand is back in the main event of WK in front of probably 50k people coming up. If they do manage that number or something close it's really a hell of an accomplishment.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's a bunch of examples of Hall just deciding "This kid has what it takes" and deciding he's gonna job. He did it with Waltman, did it with Jericho (although he later threatened to "put an end to his little Terry Taylor push"), and Tanahashi, too.

I've actually heard a few people say "someone needs to let Hall have the book" because his instincts are strong.

Jeff Hardy was a big one. Vince told him to go do a quick squash match, he gave Jeff a few high spots instead and I think even gave him a roll-up two count before doing the regular old “toss the guy around for a minute and do your finisher”. I wanna say Waltman talked about it on a Kayfabe Commentaries thing. Mind you Jeff is like... fifteen or sixteen at the time and is barely out of the backyard.

It all evidently goes back to when he was green as goose poo poo and was working Zybysko in the AWA or somewhere, and Zybysko basically made him look like a million bucks and walked him through everything and taught him a lot about how to work. There’s some shoot interview where he goes into ridiculous detail about what Zybysko did. It might have even been part of him answering a question about “you had a tendency to give guys rubs that nobody was expecting someone to, why is that?”

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/kyobashi_/status/1028515744890249216

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Jeff Hardy was a big one. Vince told him to go do a quick squash match, he gave Jeff a few high spots instead and I think even gave him a roll-up two count before doing the regular old “toss the guy around for a minute and do your finisher”. I wanna say Waltman talked about it on a Kayfabe Commentaries thing. Mind you Jeff is like... fifteen or sixteen at the time and is barely out of the backyard.

It all evidently goes back to when he was green as goose poo poo and was working Zybysko in the AWA or somewhere, and Zybysko basically made him look like a million bucks and walked him through everything and taught him a lot about how to work. There’s some shoot interview where he goes into ridiculous detail about what Zybysko did. It might have even been part of him answering a question about “you had a tendency to give guys rubs that nobody was expecting someone to, why is that?”

Hall's an interesting guy. These stories exist....but I also feel like if for whatever reason, he didn't like you, you were screwed. Bam Bam Bigelow comes to mind. And there's a lot of really negative stories about the guy in general, like when he went up to Bubba Dudley and said, "3D's a great move, can't wait to kick out of it".

OTOH, he's had a tough life, and while that doesn't magically excuse his behaviour, it does explain it, to a degree.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Remember when Liger was going around wrestlers' bedrooms at night and trying to pin them while they slept, and Tanahashi kicked out at (I think) 1? :laugh:

Edit: This one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gS2nSn42Ag

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Cameo posted:

It’s that first slap that seems to shake Kota, and then Tana just keeps coming at him and he’s like “why won’t he go down oh no”

:stwoon:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

When I see how the crowd reacted for the Ibushi/Tanahashi match, ESPECIALLY the ending, with people crying from sadness AND joy, that's when I get upset about the state of the WWE. I don't weigh in on WWE Vs. NJPW because it's like local AM DJ rivalry levels of who gives a poo poo, but when is the last time a crowd cared even remotely that much for something WWE did? Bryan's WrestleMania win? His retirement? Is there anything else even close?

I gave up WWE in lieu of NJPW a few months ago, and I even started watching some CMLL, and I can't even fathom anyone who claims to enjoy professional wrestling being okay with anything, both artistically and on a corporate level, WWE does.

The best part is how his forum has a reputation for just making GBS threads on everything, but for a solid month of following the G1 thread, everyone was positive and enthusiastic about what was going on, and it was awesome. Even when VJeff got pissed about Naito losing, he wasn't a prick about it, and he seemed relatively happy with the outcome of the final.

I dunno, I'm not saying anything new or interesting here. Wrestling is good. NJPW is good. You guys are cool. Good night.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1029240694517379072

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

For example...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well at least we're nipping this in the bud (and he has the self-awareness to realize it, which is downright refreshing for a wrestling promoter)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

The best part is how his forum has a reputation for just making GBS threads on everything, but for a solid month of following the G1 thread, everyone was positive and enthusiastic about what was going on, and it was awesome. Even when VJeff got pissed about Naito losing, he wasn't a prick about it, and he seemed relatively happy with the outcome of the final.

The Takeover threads are a pretty good indication that if a wrestling company just produces simple stuff done well with good wrestlers given some freedom to express themselves, we're going to go crazy having a good time watching along.

This G1 really was a blast following along in the thread, because everybody was just enjoying themselves so much.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've been thinking about it and if Tana loses the briefcase to Okada then I'm gonna be real upset, y'all :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DangerDummy! posted:

Make no mistake, I'm still extremely pissed about Naito losing and Zack Sabre Jr. is a lanky gently caress and he sucks and I hope he steps on a lego.

But the Ace winning will do a lot to soothe a man's nerves.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Zack Sabre Jr is an absolute boy that means well :colbert:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

VJeff posted:

Make no mistake, I'm still extremely pissed about Naito losing and Zack Sabre Jr. is a lanky gently caress and he sucks and I hope he steps on a lego.

But the Ace winning will do a lot to soothe a man's nerves.

I'm a ZSJ guy and that still blindsided the hell outta me.

And I subbed NJPW in time to see the last Wrestle Kingdom live, and I echo the couple of people who said they didn't get Tana until this G1. Holy poo poo is he amazing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The Takeover threads are a pretty good indication that if a wrestling company just produces simple stuff done well with good wrestlers given some freedom to express themselves, we're going to go crazy having a good time watching along.

I'm actually glad G1 is over now because I'm about 6 weeks behind on NXT.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm still real sad Ibushi lost, but drat, Tanahashi gives me the warm fuzzies

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Remember when Liger was going around wrestlers' bedrooms at night and trying to pin them while they slept, and Tanahashi kicked out at (I think) 1? :laugh:

Edit: This one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gS2nSn42Ag
of course Honma does the job :xd:

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
It's only in the last couple months, starting with his loss to Okada, that I've finally started to 'get' Tanahashi. It's not like I didn't think he was good, he's obviously one of the best, but I was never strongly invested in his character. I loved his match with Suzuki earlier this year, but that's more because Suzuki as a malevolent evil is really fun to get behind, especially when he's tormenting a white meat babyface. Like many others here, a switch flipped recently and I finally understood his likability. I don't think he'll ever be my favorite, but I'm really starting to enjoy his character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

of course Honma does the job :xd:

Woke up and STILL took the 3 count, ahaha

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Woke up and STILL took the 3 count, ahaha

I giggle like a maniac every time I see Liger show up as a panel guest on some chat show. Japanese TV always shows these guests “reacting” to what they’re seeing with the inset picture-in-picture, and it’s always a crack up to go from actor to actress to Justin god drat Thunder Liger mask.

I’m really quite glad the NJPW president got in front of this, too, realizing the angle (or perception of the angle) wasn’t going to be as positive as expected.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If you haven't played Yakuza 6 yet, there's an entire substory where TenCozy, Toru Yano, Kushida, Okada, Naito, and Tanahashi are in it.

Tanahashi is, of course, the most memorable.

Also, they did a full body capture for the wrestlers so their enormous necks look even more cartoonish than usual.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
That was my first G1 and I loved every minute of it. It's such a rollercoaster and really was unpredictable as to who would win.

From the start I would have never put money on Tana winning the thing, but once it happened it all made perfect sense and was well deserved.

I can't believe it's taken me so long to start watching NJPW, but it's been a great year to start and it means I can go back and watch loads of great wrestling that I've missed.

Being involved in the threads during the tournament with everyone just having a great time was a blast too. It's great to love pro wrestling again, after WWE really doing everything they could to ruin it for me.

GO ACE!!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DangerDummy! posted:

When I see how the crowd reacted for the Ibushi/Tanahashi match, ESPECIALLY the ending, with people crying from sadness AND joy, that's when I get upset about the state of the WWE. I don't weigh in on WWE Vs. NJPW because it's like local AM DJ rivalry levels of who gives a poo poo, but when is the last time a crowd cared even remotely that much for something WWE did? Bryan's WrestleMania win? His retirement? Is there anything else even close?

I gave up WWE in lieu of NJPW a few months ago, and I even started watching some CMLL, and I can't even fathom anyone who claims to enjoy professional wrestling being okay with anything, both artistically and on a corporate level, WWE does.

I dunno, I'm not saying anything new or interesting here. Wrestling is good. NJPW is good. You guys are cool. Good night.

Same. I'd given up on WWE completely by the time Daniel Bryan retired, had stopped watching RAW like a year before that because it was a 3 hour slog. I try not to be the HAY DONT WATCH WWE guy, but really, that stuff just leaves me empty and frustrated. Not how I want to spend my time on this planet. Even the NXT stuff doesn't move me. I even avoid social media on WWE nights because its all people complaining. its just ugh.

I've been faithfully watching NJPW since the Ustream era, even buying the Road To shows because they were just great wrestling. Between CMLL, NJPW and and other niche stuff, there's more than enough good wrestling out there that I don't have to keep coming back to WWE like some weirdo addict. NJPW is reactive to fan criticism a lot more, which has its own pitfalls, but they're also not afraid to really show that they're capable of doing something they've always done and make it seem meaningful again.

Take Tanahashi's G-1 win. Had WWE booked it, Tana woulda bumped for 15 minutes, had a flat comeback and Makabe would have run down to mess up the finish, leading to a 2 month chase between Makabe and Tanahashi. Instead, they booked Ace to run through a soft B block, regain his waning confidence, just in time to do battle with Kota Ibushi who tested through a field of killers and more than ready to do it one more time.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm interested in watching this year's G1 with my daughter to see if she likes Japanese wrestling, does NJPW World have the shows organized easily in chronological order or does anyone have a list with links so I know the order to watch them in?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Spikeguy posted:

I'm interested in watching this year's G1 with my daughter to see if she likes Japanese wrestling, does NJPW World have the shows organized easily in chronological order or does anyone have a list with links so I know the order to watch them in?

While NJPW World isn't the most user friendly of sites, they have got all the G1 shows bundled together under the "series" section of the site.

The last show is at the top of the list, so make sure you go back a few pages to the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

How old is your daughter? Just curious because I watched the Okada/Suzuki G1 match last year with my 9 year old and she was both fascinated and repelled by it. By the end we were both screaming at the tv for them to stop hitting each other. She loved the match but she also wasn't in a huge hurry to jump back into it.

I'm gonna cherry pick some G1 matches from this year to show her, see if she's really into it or not. She's always curious to check out WWE ppvs but, especially with longer shows like Wrestlemania or Summer Slam, her interest usually fades about 90 minutes in.