Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

GoldenEye was the first shooter to use dual sticks, but you needed two controllers for it. It was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

GoldenEye was the first shooter to use dual sticks, but you needed two controllers for it. It was awesome.

Lol I forgot about that

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was an Aliens game for PS1 that used the modern analog control style and the reviews at the time mocked it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The PS1 version of Quake 2 and Medal of Honour both had variations on twin stick controls but Alien Resurrection was the first to make them default and the closest to the modern implementation.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Looking at this data again, it seems that the Dreamcast did well during its first six months in America (350,000 units a month) to down to 150,000 units on average for the next 12 months. What happened exactly? Did the system lose momentum as soon as the PS2 launched that October, or did it lose momentum before?

I would like to hear from 40+ year old goons or really anyone really in the know.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST WHEN???

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whenever it stops being published by Microsoft

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Looking at this data again, it seems that the Dreamcast did well during its first six months in America (350,000 units a month) to down to 150,000 units on average for the next 12 months. What happened exactly? Did the system lose momentum as soon as the PS2 launched that October, or did it lose momentum before?

I would like to hear from 40+ year old goons or really anyone really in the know.

Dreamcast got stop-gap'd. It came out and was pretty cool, but advertisements for the PS2 were already spinning up and we could clearly see that it was going to be better. Dreamcast was pretty expensive, so why buy that knowing that it'll be made obsolete when a whole wave of consoles (PS2, Gamecube, Xbox) launch just a year or two later and have better hardware?

That combined with Dreamcast being kinda funky... weird controller, had lots of less traditional games, lots of Japanese games but it didn't seem like there were many must-have games from a westerner perspective, or at least the ones being advertised were more oddball. It also tried doing a lot of unproven things like online gameplay and keyboard support which while pretty cool were also, I dunno, just kinda weird and different and thus offputting to people who just wanted another N64 or PS1.

Also while the Genesis was huuuuuge in the US, the Sega CD and Saturn were both flops, so I think Sega had lost a lot of brand loyalty.

So I think it sold well to people who were into Japanese games or were big Sega fans, but failed to convert anybody else, as most people were super sucked into either Nintendo or Sony at that stage and just looked forward to PS2 or Gamecube.

I do remember playing marvel vs capcom 2 on my friend's dreamcast and being super jealous, but it was one of a few consoles I never really desired to own. I should get one now though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 15, 2018

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's a game that was hyped up so much before release, and then there was like no fanfare when it came out.

I heard it was buggy at release but it's been fixed up since. I'm really excited for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

They split the Japanese and US launches of the Dreamcast a year apart. In between, Sony had the Tokyo Game Show tech demo of the PS2 in March 1999 and then a second press conference to show the hardware at the TGS in November 1999, the week of Dreamcast’s US launch.

Previously I characterized it as being screwed over by Sony’s press conference strategy but I thought about it some more; Sega probably split the launches because of limited manufacturing capability. If they’d launched worldwide in 1998, they might’ve had more of a chance with a substantial head start on the PS2. Unfortunately they were probably short on capital because of the hole they put themselves in with the Saturn as people have mentioned. So really, it was more of a self-own.

The PS2 launched worldwide in March of 2000 and it was over. Whatever trickle of sales Sega had on their head start immediately dried up.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 15, 2018

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

It also tried doing a lot of unproven things like online gameplay and keyboard support which while pretty cool were also, I dunno, just kinda weird and different and thus offputting to people who just wanted another N64 or PS1.

This stuff was hugely attractive to me since my family didn't have a PC or internet access at the time. The Christmas where I got Quake 3 and the mouse+kb and seganet was insane. I spent 8th and 9th grade playing Quake and loving around on IRC and getting 4 hours of sleep a night. Good rear end console

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh, one thing that has to be mentioned is the PS2 being a DVD player REALLY sold those things like crazy and put them in houses. People were buying PS2s who didn't even care about videogames. Dreamcast didn't have that going. Its discs were CD based tech that also couldn't fit as much game as even a gamecube disc much less a ps2 one.

And dreamcast like I said just did weird things. One of the most advertised early games was

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST WHEN???

Its not that great. It looks very good tho

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh, one thing that has to be mentioned is the PS2 being a DVD player REALLY sold those things like crazy and put them in houses. People were buying PS2s who didn't even care about videogames. Dreamcast didn't have that going. Its discs were CD based tech that also couldn't fit as much game as even a gamecube disc much less a ps2 one.

And dreamcast like I said just did weird things. One of the most advertised early games was

Sega used to go so hard with the experimental stuff that they forgot they were supposed to make money. Hence the Segazord and all those other consoles nobody bought

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh and in addition to the modem and microphone and keyboard there was also the memory cards that had little screens and were kinda like tamagochis.

Weird. Cool but also like, weird. And its not like you could play gameboy games on them or something serious. So it just meant expensive memory cards.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When, the gently caress, are they gonna make Skies of Arcadia HD for the Switch.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dreamcast got stop-gap'd. It came out and was pretty cool, but advertisements for the PS2 were already spinning up and we could clearly see that it was going to be better. Dreamcast was pretty expensive, so why buy that knowing that it'll be made obsolete when a whole wave of consoles (PS2, Gamecube, Xbox) launch just a year or two later and have better hardware?

That combined with Dreamcast being kinda funky... weird controller, had lots of less traditional games, lots of Japanese games but it didn't seem like there were many must-have games from a westerner perspective, or at least the ones being advertised were more oddball. It also tried doing a lot of unproven things like online gameplay and keyboard support which while pretty cool were also, I dunno, just kinda weird and different and thus offputting to people who just wanted another N64 or PS1.

Also while the Genesis was huuuuuge in the US, the Sega CD and Saturn were both flops, so I think Sega had lost a lot of brand loyalty.

So I think it sold well to people who were into Japanese games or were big Sega fans, but failed to convert anybody else, as most people were super sucked into either Nintendo or Sony at that stage and just looked forward to PS2 or Gamecube.

I do remember playing marvel vs capcom 2 on my friend's dreamcast and being super jealous, but it was one of a few consoles I never really desired to own. I should get one now though.

Thanks for this.

When did the momentum stop exactly? Like Summer 2000?

Also do you think there was anything Sega could have done to make the system survive? Like even if they somehow predicted the future with a hit game like Guitar Hero?

I remember as a kid it had a great launch window and awesome marketing with that 90s Japanese action commercial and those commercials of "the characters are in the console". Then I rarely heard or saw anything about it outside of sports games and Jet Set Radio.

But yeah, the Dreamcast did feel "next gen" at the time, but as a kid I saw the PS2 and thought it was so futuristic and advanced.

EDIT - Sega did have weird games for the Dreamcast. I remember playing Space Channel 5 at a cabinet in Walmart and being like "okay this is fun but when can I walk around?"

Steve Yun posted:

The PS2 launched worldwide in March of 2000 and it was over. Whatever trickle of sales Sega had on their head start immediately dried up.

PS2 launched in Japan March 2000, it launched in NA in October of that year.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 15, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Its not that great. It looks very good tho

Ori is pretty good.

It's no Hollow Knight but nothing is

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

KingSlime posted:

I don't think you get the concept behind the word "port"

I know it's not actually a port, just being sassy :shobon:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

One other thing that really helped the PS2 was that it could play almost every single PlayStation game, so people weren’t left with a library of games they’d have to have two consoles to run. That also helped the first year when releases were sparse.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zaphod42 posted:

Just tested and Unreal Tournament PS2 has dual stick controls, the defaults are wrong but it has a few different configurations and a couple of them have the proper modern standard left stick / right stick config, so it was good.

Pretty sure that was pre-Halo, yeah UT was 2000 and Halo was 2001

nice

Red Faction also had proper dual stick controls and came out six months before Halo. It was my first 3D console fps because of GEO-MOD™. :rock:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Let me tell you of three little Playstation 2 exclusive games that were announced (and then released) in 2001 called "Grand Theft Auto III", "Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec", and "Final Fantasy X"...

Also, all the other reasons mentioned earlier; trivially easy game piracy, no backwards compatibility, outdated controller, Sonic Adventure being rear end, the underwhelming 32X and Saturn era, the Gamecube coming out, Sony's sales momentum/fandom/goodwill from the PS1, no included DVD player at a time when they cost as much or more than a PS2 did at launch, the Nintendo G-B-loving-A coming out (with GB Color backwards compatibility with Pokemon Gold & Silver)...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 15, 2018

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's amusing that people will pay around $250 for a Switch but bristle at paying $20 for a year of online

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jet Jaguar posted:

One other thing that really helped the PS2 was that it could play almost every single PlayStation game, so people weren’t left with a library of games they’d have to have two consoles to run. That also helped the first year when releases were sparse.

That really did help, especially since the PS1 was no slouch in having a huge library itself after dominating the previous console generation.

How did the PS2's emulation work in that regard? I know the PS3 and Wii at least basically had the previous console in miniature on top of the new stuff to allow PS2/Gamecube games to run.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That really did help, especially since the PS1 was no slouch in having a huge library itself after dominating the previous console generation.

How did the PS2's emulation work in that regard? I know the PS3 and Wii at least basically had the previous console in miniature on top of the new stuff to allow PS2/Gamecube games to run.

It had actual PS1 hardware inside, with two options:
- Increase loading speed (may freeze some games)
- Texture smoothing (may cause borders around 2D sprites to be visible)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

eonwe posted:

whats the next big switch game
Nintendo Switch Online.

bowmore posted:

It's amusing that people will pay around $250 for a Switch but bristle at paying $20 for a year of online
I do understand peoples' point of view that a) it has been free (on Switch, and on Nintendo platforms in general) up to now, and b) It's not really as mature/fully featured as other paid offerings. $20 a year doesn't seem too much but that might not be the case for everyone, even if they spent $300 on the Switch in the first place. I'm glad that we're at least getting cloud saves with it, the NES games I probably won't be too bothered about but you never know. I don't play stuff online too often, but again I'd prefer to have it available than to not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bowmore posted:

I'm not like cursing Nintendo or anything but it does kinda feel bad to have to pay for something I've had free for the past year. But I knew it was coming so c'est la vie

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bowmore posted:

I like paying for good products like the Switch

I don't like paying for garbage like the online service for the Switch

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I hope that Nintendo never improves their online service, so we'll always have a reason to complain about it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Takoluka posted:

I hope that Nintendo never improves their online service, so we'll always have a reason to complain about it.

People will complain anyway

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I doubt they are ever going to move away from asking people to pay for p2p hosting so it’s unlikely the reasons to complain will disappear

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neither of the other console manufacturers ever have so it seems unlikely

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

further to the talk about control schemes that no one uses anymore; i'm playing okami atm and christ it's loving me up how both the horizontal and vertical axes for camera control are inverted. i assume the rationale for this was that you're moving the position of the camera in relative space as opposed to the direction the camera is looking.

Andrast posted:

I like paying for good products like the Switch

I don't like paying for garbage like the online service for the Switch

if they start bringing more of their back catalogue over and it's not just nes games i'd be happy to pay $20 ngl

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Neither of the other console manufacturers ever have so it seems unlikely

I don’t like those either!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

For real though, the return of miiverse would change my mind

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

further to the talk about control schemes that no one uses anymore; i'm playing okami atm and christ it's loving me up how both the horizontal and vertical axes for camera control are inverted. i assume the rationale for this was that you're moving the position of the camera in relative space as opposed to the direction the camera is looking.

Please tell me this can be changed in settings, otherwise Okami is a non-starter for me. I simply can’t play like that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weedle posted:

Please tell me this can be changed in settings, otherwise Okami is a non-starter for me. I simply can’t play like that.

Don’t worry, it can be. Literally the first thing I did in the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The default camera view in Okami is just a little bit too close, and the alternate camera distance you get by pressing L is just a little bit too far away.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

People will complain anyway

Nintendo could come up with perfect lag-free online and offer free NES, SNES and N64 games but there would still be people complaining that they don't have this one specific third-party N64 game that sucked absolute poo poo but they played it as a child so they refuse to accept that it's garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nintendo could come up with perfect lag-free online and offer free NES, SNES and N64 games but there would still be people complaining that they don't have this one specific third-party N64 game that sucked absolute poo poo but they played it as a child so they refuse to accept that it's garbage

WHERE THE gently caress IS GLOVER

• Locked thread