Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I realised the other day that I didn't know where the term 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' comes from or how it's even supposed to work (bootstraps????) so I googled it and it turns out that the original meaning was to perform an impossible task by grabbing the little loops at the back of your boots and hauling yourself up over an obstacle, pretty much exactly like Baron Munchausen getting himself and his horse out of the mud they were sinking in by grabbing his pigtail and pulling himself up and out.

I learned a thing!!

Both this and "a few bad apples" have basiccly become the opposite of what they originally meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

winterwerefox posted:

:psyduck: the hell did I just read

You like that, try the Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles, a 45,000 word illustrated web novel where Tim Tebow joins the Canadian Football League, which turns out to be very very different from the NFL...

quote:

It's 2014, and Tim Tebow's NFL options have been exhausted. He gives in to popular speculation and signs with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, and immediately finds that Canadian game to be wildly different. The stadium seats 600,000 people. The ball has a long, finned javelin that protrudes out the end. Tebow runs in for a touchdown on his first drive, and learns that he's scored the first CFL touchdown since the 1980s.

And then he learns that it isn't a touchdown, because in the CFL, there are no touchdowns. You don't stop in the end zone. You keep going and going and going, in the same direction, outside of the stadium, through the city, into the woods, and across the continent.

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/8/18/5998715/the-tim-tebow-cfl-chronicles

anyway

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

quote:

Listen here cum-slut,

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah should be fine. Its not really recognizable as football anymore anyways. Its like this intentionally absurdist take on sports that starts to dig into what it means to be human.

Just read it, its so loving insanely good. Everybody read this poo poo right now https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

17776 is the inevitable conclusion of another excellent Bois story, The Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles: https://www.sbnation.com/2014/8/18/5998715/the-tim-tebow-cfl-chronicles

edit: goddamnit

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You like that, try the Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles, a 45,000 word illustrated web novel where Tim Tebow joins the Canadian Football League, which turns out to be very very different from the NFL...

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/8/18/5998715/the-tim-tebow-cfl-chronicles

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/wcgwvids/status/1027977090803544064?s=21

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
re: 17776

I love Juice.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

weak dril attempt :sad:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://giant.gfycat.com/SlowLazyBeardeddragon.webm

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Railing Kill posted:

It's my understanding that this idea came from a bad interview with NPR. She said in her book that she talked to someone who heard the tape, but didn't actually say she heard it (only that she was still seeking it). An NPR reporter called her on this when she said in the interview that she had heard it, and they got into a tiff about it when she got defensive. The tape apparently does exist (which is no big surprise, given how lovely Trump is), but Omarosa wasn't good at communicating when or how she heard it, and she didn't handle well a reporter doing their job and holding her to her word.

Oh man, I heard that interview. Omarosa was like, 'Didn't you read my book? I say in the book I heard the tape!' then there's an Arrested Development-style narration to clarify- "It wasn't in the book".

It was an incredibly confusing interview

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fake you can see the jerky in the wallet has no shadow

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

fake you can see the jerky in the wallet has no shadow

It must be ginger jerky.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/FlyingOverTr0ut/status/1029383063036473344

Basement dwelling nazi gets yelled at for being a nazi by his dad, while being interviewed by another nazi

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/401950-white-supremacist-rally-leader-gets-yelled-at-by-his-dad-during

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

No YOU shut the gently caress up, cuck dad!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

God drat that's some blatant racism.

"Is that a jew in your house?"
"Nah, its my dad"

loving :lol:

"my family is cucked"

what a poo poo-head.

"I trust Shlomo to find a way to get me evicted"

Fuuuuuuuck someone needs to punch these guys.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/infowars/status/1029520290643103744
https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1029477795561463808

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Baker who doesn't have to make cakes for gay folks is angry that business is failing and is back in court for failing to make a cake for a transgender woman

quote:

According to the filing, an attorney called Phillips on the same day of the court's decision and asked him to make a cake that faded from pink to blue in celebration of a gender transition from male to female.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Wait, didn't the decision only say that the state went about the case wrong and with obvious bias? Not that he actually was allowed to not bake cakes for people?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I don't understand why you'd take the time to sue this idiot instead of going literally anywhere else.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

gschmidl posted:

I don't understand why you'd take the time to sue this idiot instead of going literally anywhere else.

When I read that line in the article, it immediately came off as a troll attempt to me.

SpacePig posted:

Wait, didn't the decision only say that the state went about the case wrong and with obvious bias? Not that he actually was allowed to not bake cakes for people?

Yeah you're right, sorry about that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gschmidl posted:

the lawsuit is the point.

Galactic Cat
Jun 21, 2018
I feel like if these assholes want to be persecuted so badly we ought to oblige and start burning down their businesses and running them out of town.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gschmidl posted:

People aren't suing the idiot. The idiot is suing the government for religious persecution.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gschmidl posted:

he's suing the state of colorado

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Proteus Jones posted:

People aren't suing the idiot. The idiot is suing the government for religious persecution.

I meant originally.

e: reading up on the original, god your SCOTUS is full of trash

quote:

Three justices tried to nudge the decision toward a substantive victory for the baker, claiming that there was a product that Phillips would not sell to anyone: a “cake celebrating same-sex marriage” (Justice Neil Gorsuch), “custom wedding cakes that express approval of same-sex marriage” (Justice Clarence Thomas; Samuel Alito joined both concurrences).

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Aug 15, 2018

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Galactic Cat posted:

I feel like if these assholes want to be persecuted so badly we ought to oblige and start burning down their businesses and running them out of town.

People are doing that figuratively using boycotts. It adds insult to injury by making them poor at the same time.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/bradbo1/status/1029561232003670018

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Oh, Frazier, not Frasier. I misread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-BqOsvj00

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpacePig posted:

Yes, the decision was narrow in scope, and if the Colorado Civil Rights Commission hadn't be so obviously discriminatory in their discussions, it might have gone the other way:

The decision also mentioned the fact that he didn't refuse to bake cakes for people.

quote:

On July 25, 2014, the Commission met again. This meeting, too, was conducted in public and on the record. On this occasion another commissioner made specific reference to the previous meeting’s discussion but said far more to disparage Phillips’ beliefs. The commissioner stated:

“I would also like to reiterate what we said in the hearing or the last meeting. Freedom of religion and religion has been used to justify all kinds of discrimination throughout history, whether it be slavery, whether it be the holocaust, whether it be—I mean, we—we can list hundreds of situations where freedom of religion has been used to justify discrimination. And to me it is one of the most despicable pieces of rhetoric that people can use to—to use their religion to hurt others.” Tr. 11–12.

To describe a man’s faith as “one of the most despicable pieces of rhetoric that people can use” is to disparage his religion in at least two distinct ways: by describing it as despicable, and also by characterizing it as merely rhetorical—something insubstantial and even insincere. The commissioner even went so far as to compare Phillips’ invocation of his sincerely held religious beliefs to defenses
of slavery and the Holocaust. This sentiment is inappropriate for a Commission charged with the solemn responsibility of fair and neutral enforcement of Colorado’s antidiscrimination law—a law that protects discrimination on
the basis of religion as well as sexual orientation.

The Commission was pretty clearly applying its own arguments in a discriminatory fashion, and was biased against Phillips's religion. In a case brought against another baker who refused to decorate a cake in a manner expressing disapproval of gay marriage, the commission decided that that didn't break the law because that baker was willing to sell other products to the customer and just didn't want to convey that specific message. But Phillips didn't refuse to bake cakes for gay people, or anyone, he simply refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding; however, the commission "dismissed Phillips' willingness to sell 'birthday cakes, shower cakes, [and] cookies and brownies' to gay and lesbian customers are irrelevant."

It'd be one thing if they were using some uniform process to determine if there was a violation or not, but they weren't; the exact same fact that the commission used to exculpate a defendant who the commission agreed with was ruled irrelevant when the defendant was one who the commission disagreed with. Again, this decision was 7-2 and *narrow*. The issue probably most strongly raised by the case, does a baker have a right under the first amendment to refuse to bake cakes for same-sex weddings, wasn't answered at all in either direction. As Kagan said in her concurrence, the court limited its analysis to the *reasoning* of the state agency and found it biased and lacking. This was a ruling that the baker's free exercise rights were violated by discriminatory treatment of the state commission, not that his first amendment rights were violated by the antidiscrimination law.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/06/symposium-masterpiece-cakeshop-not-as-narrow-as-may-first-appear/

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Aug 15, 2018

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The cake thing is difficult because I think you should be able to reject customers or clients you don't work well with, but I also am not into homophobes and am happy to watch that guy's life spiral down for as long as he's going to stubbornly fight about making cakes.

Also why the hell doesn't he just lie and say he's too busy for it after all, like any other sane person deferring a client?? Who TELLS the client it's because God said not to? It's like he's going out of his way to stoke flames. If I was rich and bored and he said no to serving me with a diatribe about religion as the reason, I might have sued him too. Not because I think I'd win, but just to gently caress with him for being so sanctimonious.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Aug 15, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Also why the hell doesn't he just lie and say he's too busy for it after all, like any other sane person deferring a client?? Who TELLS the client it's because God said not to?

Sincere Christians also frequently believe it's morally wrong to lie.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh poo poo no wonder he's floundering, if that's really true dude needs to stop owning a business, full-stop. You can't run a business without some creative white lies to salve egos and keep the peace.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It will never be sadder that the cake thing was literally decided not because what the council said but because they said it in to mean a way. While the same judge said that the stuff Trump says can not be used as evidence for why a policy is being implemented. Even if it is his policy.

Those two back to back kind of show that the Supreme Court is not really objective, even though they never really were.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Aug 15, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Also why the hell doesn't he just lie and say he's too busy for it after all, like any other sane person deferring a client?? Who TELLS the client it's because God said not to?
Because he's a sanctimonious little poo poo who gets off on feeling morally superior.

Phanatic posted:

gently caress that bullshit. An actual sincere Christian would be kind and decent person. An actual Christian would have made that cake and sincerely wished that couple a happy marriage from the bottom of their heart because they are not God and it's not their place to judge.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phanatic posted:

More like they'll take every opportunity to feel morally superior no matter how wrong they are

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
See that's what I was getting at. Dude is getting trolled to oblivion not for his beliefs, but because he is such an rear end in a top hat about saying no he actually inspires people to look for ways to really give him the run-around legally.

Doing God's work.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

The cake thing is difficult because I think you should be able to reject customers or clients you don't work well with, but I also am not into homophobes and am happy to watch that guy's life spiral down for as long as he's going to stubbornly fight about making cakes.

I don't find that difficult at all and I'm glad the court ruled in his favor because I wanted the opportunity for the free market and society to decide his business' fate. It sounds like his business is failing exactly as it should.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

davebo posted:

I don't find that difficult at all and I'm glad the court ruled in his favor because I wanted the opportunity for the free market and society to decide his business' fate. It sounds like his business is failing exactly as it should.

If you want the free market to consistently protect minorities and other vulnerable groups than boy do I have bad news for you.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Working as intended.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phanatic posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

davebo posted:

Eh, only because he keeps pushing it, I guarantee if he'd dropped it earlier he'd have been fine, might have even gotten away with a lot of sympathy. The free market isn't a god, it doesn't punish the bad and reward the good, and it's largely dependent on timing and chance. The reason the trans person asked for the cake is more than likely to push at this guy and make sure he doesn't just return to business as usual.

So in this case it's not the free market proceeding as it will, but a concerted effort by a vocal gay guy and a vocal trans person taking time out of their lives to make everyone aware.