Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Vasudus posted:

It's a shame that VIS-G is just starting to be developed because it's a lot better than oldschool VIS. Gambit77 is fixing every item's AWKCR tags in the vanilla game / mods with patches in the process. I had to stop using it because it was only like halfway functional AND it was causing a few crashes for me due to scaleform memory issues running at 3440x1440. Maybe in like...a year it'll be finished and good.

I can't tell if that mod gives weapons the names shown in all his screenshots. They were enough to make me avoid the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yo since the Fo4 thread is rip I'm just gonna put my misc questions that arise while playing it in here even if I'm not using any mods on my first run if you don't mind?

So I just finished the whole intro quest line and started to gently caress around with the settlement building a bit. But it seems really awkward to me to place things since I can't move once I'm in the building interface. Do I really have to trail&error a bunch of times until I stand in the right spot so that I can place a dumb bed where I want it to be? I mean if so then actually building a house seems like a nightmare to me :ohdear:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tin Tim posted:

Yo since the Fo4 thread is rip I'm just gonna put my misc questions that arise while playing it in here even if I'm not using any mods on my first run if you don't mind?

So I just finished the whole intro quest line and started to gently caress around with the settlement building a bit. But it seems really awkward to me to place things since I can't move once I'm in the building interface. Do I really have to trail&error a bunch of times until I stand in the right spot so that I can place a dumb bed where I want it to be? I mean if so then actually building a house seems like a nightmare to me :ohdear:

You can absolutely move while in the build interface though?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

also place things and move them again

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

do you have movement mapped to the arrow keys? iirc in build mode the arrow keys are mapped to rotating objects and there's no way to override it

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Zore posted:

You can absolutely move while in the build interface though?
Well you can if you didn't rebind your movement keys! I move with the arrow keys in fps games since I'm weird like that but they're also used to navigate the build menu so I'm locked in place :doh:

So now I'm wondering if there's some ini file for the keybinds where I can bind WASD as the navigation keys for the menu? It's not too much of an issue if I can't. Just means that I have to rebind when I want to build stuff and rebind again when I'm done.

Generic Monk posted:

do you have movement mapped to the arrow keys? iirc in build mode the arrow keys are mapped to rotating objects and there's no way to override it
My boi

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you have a spare controller you could just use that for build mode. It's really easy with one.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah I got one. Thanks for the hint I'll try that

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Is Mod Organizer 2 still the thing to use? I have it installed but I can't seem to get LOOT to be able to see anything when I try to launch it from mod organizer 2

edit: mod organizer 2 seems to be a pain. Tried installing a mod and it says its activated, but when I load up Fallout 4 it isn't listed. Maybe I'll just use NMM

Danith fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 11, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I use MO2 but I also keep it light so I don't use LOOT. Honestly I wouldn't trust such a thing but that's probably just me

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Make sure you don't have MO2 installed in \Program Files\ otherwise you may run into permission problems.

I run LOOT once I've finalized my mod list and then look it over to make sure it didn't do anything stupid.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I've been messing around with manufacturing. I saw a video that showed how you can break open crafted vault tek lunchboxes for stuff inside. His process had a hopper that spit them out and he arranged them and hit them with a pool cue and broke them open. Because I love factorio I automated the process a bit more and now the lunchboxes rotate around through sorters filtering out everything that pops out into different storages, with a pressure plate that diverts the boxes when I'm done smacking them open so I can vendor them (Since apparently they give less and less loot every time you break them open and recycle them.)

The problem is, I don't want to smack them with a melee weapon. I want to automate smacking them with something strong enough to pop them open but even with Manufacturing Extended I don't have anything that can do the job. Are there any ways to make traps reset without having to repair, or make a turret fire constantly without seeing an enemy?

I can make a video of my setup if anyone wants.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I know there's a couple of turrets like the paintball turret that fires when it gets a signal, maybe use that? Isn't there a thing that's pmuch a stationary junkjet? that might work too.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The pitching machine, just load it up with baseballs.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
No dice. Baseballs did nothing, and neither did book return tokens which actually do damage when they hit you. Must be something special about the boxes. Might be a lost cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6oM3zEfKKk

Also tried loading a bunch into the junk mortar and shooting them at the wall, nothing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

LegoMan posted:

No dice. Baseballs did nothing, and neither did book return tokens which actually do damage when they hit you. Must be something special about the boxes. Might be a lost cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6oM3zEfKKk

Also tried loading a bunch into the junk mortar and shooting them at the wall, nothing.

What if you tried loading the boxes into the pitching machines and have them smack into a wall.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Back Hack posted:

What if you tried loading the boxes into the pitching machines and have them smack into a wall.

I tried against a concrete wall and a settler, neither worked. So I loaded them into the machine and spat them at a spinning blade trap, nothing. I then held the box up to the spinning blade trap, nothing.

However I did have one success. I found a mod that makes traps autoreset, and stationary guns will open boxes. I just have to set up a system for putting them in front of the guns.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Load grenades into the pitching machine, I suggest pulse since they're basically useless in vanilla because guns exist, or if you get the autoreset mod, just set a couple of flame traps aimed at the belt.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
It works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_mA6AWo0w

Recycles things I throw in one chest, produces lunchboxes and breaks them with fire, and sorts everything.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Back Hack posted:

After fiddling with a few of them, I can't imagine playing this game without DeadPool2099's weapon (AKA: New Vegas Project weapons), they're just so well made.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/users/11550578?tab=user+files

E: The Wattz 3000 alone is a most have.

Berke Negri posted:

sim settlements 3-in-1 is a must have imo

even if you like personally setting up towns it still is an improvement, though if you go whole hog on it automating stuff i recommend disabling clutter and detailed buildings

its not as big a detraction as it sounds but makes it run much better unless you have some insane rig and even if you did it'd probably still break the engine

also again supporting amazing follower tweaks cause though its got some feature bloat its all easily ignored while giving you a lot more control of followers how you see fit

one thing i like (with no fast travel on survival) is i can set companions home to any cell so i can assign followers to return to either goodneighbor or diamondcity appropriately, which is nice, also its actively being updated which is a plus

Mosnar posted:

Both Workshop Rearranged https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16181 and Manufacturing Extended Expanded https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18345 have been favorites of mine for some time. For whatever reason on my particular build; Homemaker, though positively neato, always ends up causing issues somewhere down the line with settlements. Probably just me.

Other must have's (other than Cursing Bloatflies) would be:

Place Anywhere: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424
Bethini: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69787
Lowered Weapons: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/522
Keep Radiant Quests in the Commonwealth: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19967
No Raiding Your Own Settlements: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18121
And, of course, goon made: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21936

I added these all to my load order. Thanks, guys! I especially love the Fallout 4 version of "Uncle Shegoroth's Helpful Hints and Tips" - I had played this game before for over 300 hours on my first go around before I got tired of it, so something new on those loading screens is a Good Addition.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm looking for a little help/info on the details behind making ceilings in the ruined sanctuary house. I've gone with a method from a youtube vid where you start by placing a small wood floor on a flat surface and then make a wall on it to attach the ceiling too. Then you group select the finished structure and try to place it in a corner of the house you work on. I've done it twice but now I'm banging my head on the third try. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong so yeah any detailed info on how the collision detection works would be sweet. Like I've found a few weird spots where I could place down my structure in the whole house but I just don't understand why the rest is off limits.

E:

Otacon posted:

Console or PC?
Whoops, PC

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 13, 2018

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Tin Tim posted:

I'm looking for a little help/info on the details behind making ceilings in the ruined sanctuary house. I've gone with a method from a youtube vid where you start by placing a small wood floor on a flat surface and then make a wall on it to attach the ceiling too. Then you group select the finished structure and try to place it in a corner of the house you work on. I've done it twice but now I'm banging my head on the third try. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong so yeah any detailed info on how the collision detection works would be sweet. Like I've found a few weird spots where I could place down my structure in the whole house but I just don't understand why the rest is off limits.

Console or PC?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I got it done after keeping at it and the problem was the garage of the house caused colision when I touched it with my ceiling structure. Took a while to pin it on that since the garages on the previous two houses didn't matter. Still, I'd be happy about any info/tips on the whole deal since I feel like I'm getting a grip on the workshop mode

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
If on PC get the script extender and get red zone placement, if on console good luck

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Two things to help. One is "Place Everywhere" https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424/ - You'll need F4SE to enable it http://f4se.silverlock.org

Place Everywhere is pretty much mandatory for a lot of advanced settlement building. There's a lot of keyboard shortcuts you'll want to memorize/print out, but there's still some things you won't be able to place correctly. It's a very convoluted system with quite a few settings and options but it's the only thing we've got.

The second is to use your console - typically the ~ key.

Save your game. Open console, and click the house exterior. It'll add the houses reference ID to the middle of the screen. Once it's selected, type "disable" and then DON'T CLICK ANYTHING. Close console and the house will disappear, allowing you to place stuff without any collision/clipping. Once you've placed everything how you want it, open console again (the ref ID should still be listed) and type "enable" to have the house spawn back into place once you close the console. If you click a different refID before you can enable the house again, you'll need to reload your save.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Instead of being careful, when you click the house exterior, write prid XXXXXXXX (the houses code) into the console. If you accidently click away from it, use the arrow keys to bring up this command and you can recall the code by entering it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks again for the help, folks!

Otacon posted:

Save your game. Open console, and click the house exterior. It'll add the houses reference ID to the middle of the screen. Once it's selected, type "disable" and then DON'T CLICK ANYTHING. Close console and the house will disappear, allowing you to place stuff without any collision/clipping. Once you've placed everything how you want it, open console again (the ref ID should still be listed) and type "enable" to have the house spawn back into place once you close the console. If you click a different refID before you can enable the house again, you'll need to reload your save.
drat, that's a spicy method. Probably gonna use that for roofing the rest of the sanctuary houses.

Also another misc question came up while I started to explore settlement/workshop mode. According to the wiki, every settler can farm six units worth of food. So you either build six plants that yield one food each, or 12 plants that yield 0.5 each. However that seems to not be entirely true for me. For example, in tenpines bluff I have 24 tato plants and the two initial settlers assigned to farm them. But they only seem to work 22 of the plants since they only produce 11 food and two of the plants show as unassigned in workshop mode. Is this just a minor bug?

And speaking of minor bugs, is the population counter in sanctuary bugged? Sometimes it jumps from eight to nine without there actually being a new settler around(recruit beacon turned off atm) and then goes back to eigth a short while later

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I know the feeling. The population of finch farm jumped from 6 to 13 in one of my games but I arrived to find 6 settlers and 4 dogs, 2 brahmin and a cat. They are Shroedingers settlers until you get close to your settlements. It'd be great if someone could make a mod that breaks down a settlements population.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hell, I'd love a mod that lets you move settlers without having to be at the settlement they're at itself. If I don't have a free leader to handle settlement management (Sim Settlements), I'd put down a recruitment beacon and bed, have the guaranteed settler establish a supply route to the rest of the network, and then drop by occasionally to send new recruits off to the other settlements so they grow faster. Unfortunately you have to be there, so it sucks if the settlement is a bit far off where you're exploring.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My last remaining settlement peeve that I haven't been able to mod out is them defaulting to the 0,0 space of a settlement cell on loading -sometimes-. Nothing like fast traveling back home and finding my sprawling settlement shantytown completely empty except for the 30 settlers standing in one place refusing to move.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Vasudus posted:

My last remaining settlement peeve that I haven't been able to mod out is them defaulting to the 0,0 space of a settlement cell on loading -sometimes-. Nothing like fast traveling back home and finding my sprawling settlement shantytown completely empty except for the 30 settlers standing in one place refusing to move.

I just found and installed this mod yesterday (due to beginning construction on Vault 88)

It supposedly adjusts settler AI and allows them to use the full extent of settlements. I grabbed the 3x version in downloads:

Settler Sandbox Expansion

I did notice it a bit in Vault 88 when I spawned in, and one of my vault-dwelling-settlers was sitting in a chair right by the entrance to the vault - the mod says it works for all settlements so maybe this will help!

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Vasudus posted:

The Drive in is really bad for this. I always have this immense pile of settlers just being really uncomfortably close to one another and they never move.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Otacon posted:

I just found and installed this mod yesterday (due to beginning construction on Vault 88)

It supposedly adjusts settler AI and allows them to use the full extent of settlements. I grabbed the 3x version in downloads:

Settler Sandbox Expansion

I did notice it a bit in Vault 88 when I spawned in, and one of my vault-dwelling-settlers was sitting in a chair right by the entrance to the vault - the mod says it works for all settlements so maybe this will help!

I'm already running that. It's better, that's for sure, but the problem still exists unfortunately.

LegoMan posted:

The Drive in is really bad for this. I always have this immense pile of settlers just being really uncomfortably close to one another and they never move.

Yep, that's where my personally-owned settlements always are. I even have a mod that flattens the place out so I can build it up easier. It gets really annoying when you have like 30-40 settlers and it happens. Maybe I should pick another settlement spot.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Or maybe bethesda should have unfucked a pretty broken game,
hahaha, no, just a little modding joke.
Spectacle isle is my goto bourgoise buildzone, and unless they are shopkeepers, or i have a bartender set. everyone stands in a clump, it might be because of a dated version of something that allows me to make planters, as they prefer standing in some bushes, but actually still click out them glue ingredients.
its frustrating, as I'd like to make a mod using custom workshop tables so settlers have a better chance of producing higher teir medicine or ammo and suchlike, (thats old, its done better by another mod, that i forget the name of atm) but the herd prefers that specific set of bushes.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

How robust is the game when it comes to decorating with small objects? I would like to have a few ashtrays/glasses/plates/whatever in my hub area but I don't wanna spend the time on placing them if they'll just clip through the world next time I'm loading in. Speaking off, it's kinda weird to me how they chose what objects you can build for decorations. Like I 100% expected sand bags, barrels and small boxes/tires to be buildable but I haven't seen them so far. I guess people would have gone crazy with small objects like that though and ruined the fps in their zones eventually.

One more thing, is sanctuary bugged when it comes to the recruit beacon? It's been like a week since I built it and all I got was one new settler. All my numbers are green and I produce more than I need plus my happines is at 80+ but apparently nobody wants to join me and they all rather sleep in bushes with radroaches or something.

staberind posted:

Or maybe bethesda should have unfucked a pretty broken game,
hahaha, no, just a little modding joke.
Tbh I was pretty happy with the polish of the game for the first few days of playtime. Didn't have any crashes or major bugs and I especially like that alt+tab is not causing any troubles for me unlike in Fo3/NV. Yeah the longer you play the more you notice little things but overall it seems pretty solid. Except for these two things I saw

-Emogene did not spawn during the quest to safe her which sucked. Had to force the quest along with the console. Rip non PC players I guess

-The encounter that starts the robot dlc was a huge clusterfuck of lasers and explosions and somehow the quest robot bugged the gently caress during that. He kept glitching around the area in tiny steps without actually moving himself and didn't stop. Just kept glitching around in circles. It was kinda funny cause when I talked to him he started his line, then glitched away and said things like "I think we weren't done?" and "Why are you leaving?". Went back to my save before traveling to the encounter and it worked out on the second try

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's a mod called OCDecorator that makes a lot of clutter decorations so you don't have to do it manually, or worry about random physics causing a nuka-cola bottle carefully put on a table to accelerate to the speed of light.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The first time I actually decorated a nice house for myself about a minute after I was done piper came in, sat at the table, and everything on it launched all over. I think the pepper shaker entered orbit.

All the game really would need is to lock items in place but nope, physics is still on and sometimes stuff will just vanish or fall through the display case.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

As was said, OCDecorator is the solution. It allows you to turn any item in the game into a placeable hard-locked prop. No more orbital pepper shakers.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Otacon posted:

As was said, OCDecorator is the solution. It allows you to turn any item in the game into a placeable hard-locked prop. No more orbital pepper shakers.

Be careful with this mod tho. If you place a legendary weapon somewhere, OCDecorator turns it into a regular weapon. Something along those lines. Check the mod description for further details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
If you use Place Everywhere you can use the end key to remove an objects physics as well.