Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rovert’s sin against Kimber Lee is he didn’t say she got thicc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Thicc is good. See: Kraneo

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I hate twitter and modern wrestling culture so much.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

sleep with the vicious posted:

I hate twitter and modern wrestling culture so much.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Has anyone actually managed to understand the logic that has Vince and WWE convinced that the G1 Supercard sell-out is somehow tied into the Observer? Is it literally “they keep talking up how good New Japan is and it’s going viral among the fans!” or something? Because honestly they barely talk ROH on Live or Radio or any of the other shows, so presumably it’s New Japan WWE is worried about getting extra exposure from this event.

But still, where the hell did “they’re somehow responsible for this” come from, Bryan and Dave just started talking about it all of a sudden and the crackdown on the NXT scooping by JJ and now the weird overreaction to the Peyton thing and it’s clear there’s something bouncing around the Stamford offices about this California dude who writes a weekly newsletter. I just can’t figure out what possibly inspired the thought process.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Cameo posted:

Has anyone actually managed to understand the logic that has Vince and WWE convinced that the G1 Supercard sell-out is somehow tied into the Observer? Is it literally “they keep talking up how good New Japan is and it’s going viral among the fans!” or something? Because honestly they barely talk ROH on Live or Radio or any of the other shows, so presumably it’s New Japan WWE is worried about getting extra exposure from this event.

But still, where the hell did “they’re somehow responsible for this” come from, Bryan and Dave just started talking about it all of a sudden and the crackdown on the NXT scooping by JJ and now the weird overreaction to the Peyton thing and it’s clear there’s something bouncing around the Stamford offices about this California dude who writes a weekly newsletter. I just can’t figure out what possibly inspired the thought process.

Sure does get the attention off of good ol' Randall's indiscretions, too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dave giving the okada/omega match 6 stars probably increased omega's profile by idk 30%?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

Sure does get the attention off of good ol' Randall's indiscretions, too.

lol Yeah I forgot all about his dick handshakes so it worked

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dave gives free publicity to WWE's competitors so of course they want to destroy him. Oh those lovable egomaniacal corporatist sociopaths the McMahons!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

When you say Dave do you mean Dave Meltzer or another?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Cameo posted:

Dave Meltzer is probably the most influential non-wrestler voice there is in the business.

Meltzer is very open and honest about how much great wrestling exists outside of WWE and the methods exist now for people to easily consume something other than WWE’s crap.

They are going to discredit him as much as they can because by doing so, they continue to make dumb people think they are the best show in town.

In terms of the rise of NJPW in North America and Europe, it’s hard to say Meltzer doesn’t have a decent amount to do with that. After that Suzuki-Tanahashi match at KOPW that he gave 5 stars, they started talking up the product more regularly on the show and it just took off from there. That match gave people reason to seek out the product and it’s just gone off like a rocket since then because it’s become easy to find and it’s exponentially better than WWE.

I don’t know that it could be anything other than Meltzer, in all honesty, because at the time it started to blow up here, there really wasn’t anyone else going out of their way to call serious attention to it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
As someone who doesn't currently subscribe, I need this "WWE thinks we're responsible for ROH/NJPW booking/selling out MSG" think from Dave and Bryan explained to me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

davidbix posted:

As someone who doesn't currently subscribe, I need this "WWE thinks we're responsible for ROH/NJPW booking/selling out MSG" think from Dave and Bryan explained to me.

Today was the first I heard about it, but Alvarez spoke about it on Monday on WOL.

Also, nice touch, Dave. :v:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1029914276847267841

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

davidbix posted:

someone called into WOL and asked bryan if he thinks WWE blames him and dave for the MSG show selling out. alvarez then spent a couple minutes pointing how stupid the ideas were that WWE cares about dave and bryan and that they influenced the show buy rate at all

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"She needs to lose some TITS" - Dave Meltzer

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
all the wwe wrestlers sniping at dave over a fairly innocuous comment are quite happy to work for an accused rapist

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not just cause of the MSG sell out, it's also cause the TV deal kinda of hinges on no real dirt appearing for the WWE. So expect all of the WWE to attack Dave when he screws up just to make it appear like he's a hack instead of being the best wrestling journalist (and Dave screwed up here though only a little bit)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Seams posted:

all the wwe wrestlers sniping at dave over a fairly innocuous comment are quite happy to work for an accused rapist
Pretty sure Court Bauer once mentioned the tanning salon story so there's every reason to drag that up again.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what in tarnation

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Aristocrats!

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

dave prostrates himself for about 10 minutes at the beginning of the newest wor, but sadly the people that will keep going on about this stuff will never hear it. he's a nice guy regardless of the occasional fuckup, and i kind of admire his humility and willingness to learn.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It is not Dave's fault that everyone can't be in as good a shape as him.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

hell yeah

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/the2sarahs/status/1029817708395802624?s=21

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does this mean Eamo is coming back to podcasting?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Regardless of anything else, it was loving fascinating listening to Dave go into full robot analysis of himself.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

Regardless of anything else, it was loving fascinating listening to Dave go into full robot analysis of himself.
He's like a Westworld robot that is totally self aware but has no idea how to handle himself

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RealFoxy posted:

He's like a Westworld robot that is totally self aware but has no idea how to handle himself

They successfully built a perfect copy of him, but destroyed it when they mistook it going,"Don Muraco Don Muraco Don Muraco Don Muraco" as a glitch and not a feature.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1029975811854557184

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jim Cornette apparently did a deep dive on his time with ROH on his Podcast.

I love Jim when he goes in depth on anything. Having said that I am probably going to have to skip through 30 min of stuff first.

Edit: oh god he is talking about that death before dishonor show from 2010 which is the show that got me into ROH with Kings/Briscoes No Dq and Richards/Black for the title. Talk about flashbacka! 8 years ago christ I feel old.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 16, 2018

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
His apology is loving hilarious. I’m like fifteen minutes in but this apparently lasts for thirty-six?

“I know I shouldn’t have said it, but other people have said way worse, and I get furious at them! I know it’s probably not smart to apologize publicly, and a bunch of people told me *not* to apologize, but I’m sorry, but also hey I could’ve said worse right?”

It’s incredible that so much of his apology centers on how attractive he actually finds Peyton and all the other women wrestlers. Which is an impressive attempt at missing the point entirely.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

illcendiary posted:

His apology is loving hilarious. I’m like fifteen minutes in but this apparently lasts for thirty-six?

“I know I shouldn’t have said it, but other people have said way worse, and I get furious at them! I know it’s probably not smart to apologize publicly, and a bunch of people told me *not* to apologize, but I’m sorry, but also hey I could’ve said worse right?”

It’s incredible that so much of his apology centers on how attractive he actually finds Peyton and all the other women wrestlers. Which is an impressive attempt at missing the point entirely.

When he got to “I didn’t rehearse any of this ahead of time” it’s like, no poo poo Dave lol. Maybe you should have planned a few key messages ahead of time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i found it funny bryan had to basically tell dave to wrap it up

knowing how the internet works, this will not change the minds of the haters one bit

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Dave is the loudest voice for worker's rights and the first one to say how hosed up and fake all the wwe's women's evolution poo poo is because the women still don't get paid what they're worth and still get disrespected by the writing and booking.

I'm not about to join in a dogpile of someone who's done more for women and laborers in wrestling than any other random dude who talks about wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Vertical Lime posted:

i found it funny bryan had to basically tell dave to wrap it up

knowing how the internet works, this will not change the minds of the haters one bit

I mean, he said probably 5 more problematic things in his apology so I only see this fuelling the fire

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dave should have said "I'd like to apologize in person - when can we meet in Dubai?" and left it at that

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

EugeneJ posted:

Dave should have said "I'd like to apologize in person - when can we meet in Dubai?" and left it at that

Uh, sure, sick burn that would be. Two things can be wrong at the same time, this isn’t zero-sum. WWE can be a lovely, hypocritical company from the top down *and* Dave can be a tone-deaf idiot who doesn’t know how to apologize when he’s called out for saying something sexist. This in turn can exist separately from his good opinions/intentions as it pertains to women’s wrestling as a whole and worker’s rights in general.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Performative woke pro wrestling twitter demands ever more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
tbh its pretty ableist to poo poo on dave for this.