Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

. I have 3 different playgroups here in nyc 1 of them almost got ruined by a guy who got a Cedh list and then when he was told he couldn't because it was only valid in that format would constantly pretend he didn't understand the difference.

1 of them had a guy who insisted since he paid so much for his deck he shouldn't have to worry about power restrictions

So you have two groups of manchildren who believe in being the fun police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Here's the problem with bringing a cEDH deck to a regular EDH group: Unless everyone else there also has thousands of dollars to spend on a hundred pieces of cardboard, you have completely shut them out of playing on the same level as you.

...that was always obvious and was never in question.

That's why people aren't supposed to do that. The overwhelming majority of people in cEDH communities agree that cEDH should only be played against cEDH decks. If the problem is some new player or dumb pubstomper bringing cEDH decks to casual EDH games, that's a problem with the player and not the format, and they deserve to be rejected from the group until they bring a more appropriate deck or find a more appropriate group. The cases stated here:

AkumaHokoru posted:

Im speaking as someone who ran EDH playgroups at the store I worked at and people who heard about our groups coming in. I've posted about this before in the past. I am aware of the differences in the two formats and I know how people build poo poo.

what I am speaking on are people who are newer to EDH look up a list online don't understand there is a difference between cEDH and EDH and then trying to force groups into cEDH by power mashing on them. I have 3 different playgroups here in nyc 1 of them almost got ruined by a guy who got a Cedh list and then when he was told he couldn't because it was only valid in that format would constantly pretend he didn't understand the difference.

1 of them had a guy who insisted since he paid so much for his deck he shouldn't have to worry about power restrictions

the last group everyone hates playing because 3 of the players did this so they rarely meet.

people are really stubborn about the different formats for some reason which is why the casual people and the "I like brewing cool poo poo" people get mad.

let me be clear I'm not standing on either side of it because yo formats are formats but there is a big power gap and it does cause issues.

are fringe cases and I still see this as nothing more than mistakes on an individual's level rather than the overarching format's level. If it's someone's misunderstanding that they can't bring a cEDH deck to a casual game, then it is that person who needs to be corrected and not the formats.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Matsuri posted:

...that was always obvious and was never in question.

That's why people aren't supposed to do that. The overwhelming majority of people in cEDH communities agree that cEDH should only be played against cEDH decks. If the problem is some new player or dumb pubstomper bringing cEDH decks to casual EDH games, that's a problem with the player and not the format, and they deserve to be rejected from the group until they bring a more appropriate deck or find a more appropriate group. The cases stated here:

are fringe cases and I still see this as nothing more than mistakes on an individual's level rather than the overarching format's level. If it's someone's misunderstanding that they can't bring a cEDH deck to a casual game, then it is that person who needs to be corrected and not the formats.

This caused a ton of problems

PJOmega posted:

So you have two groups of manchildren who believe in being the fun police?
This for sure. I got more flak from trying to keep the group's at a even level than anything else

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 13, 2018

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I only play paper cEDH because my old cards were basically worthless 10 years ago when I sold my power 9, but now LED and the modern Moxes and Grim Monolith are worth thousands of dollars. Just opening on old box and grabbing a Volrath's Stronghold goes a long way toward affording old cards. I don't blame casual players for wanting to proxy, or stay out of the format.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

PMush Perfect posted:

Here's the problem with bringing a cEDH deck to a regular EDH group: Unless everyone else there also has thousands of dollars to spend on a hundred pieces of cardboard, you have completely shut them out of playing on the same level as you.

Most cEDH players are pro proxy. No one wants to win just because they spent more money on their deck, the distinction between cEDH and casual EDH exists because cEDH players want to play with equal power level decks.

Bringing a cEDH deck to a casual EDH playgroup is a different issue entirely, pubstompers should be shunned by both groups.

neosloth fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 13, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This always reminds me of one guy I play with. He will proxy entire decks to test on a weekly basis, but when I play a Mana Vault or a Treachery, he gets pissy (but not overwhelmingly so) saying "how nice it must be" to have those cards. Then, he goes and purchases a case of M19. :v:

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
In the spirit of mixing dumb casual Timmy/Johnny plays with $3k worth of Vintage-lite, here's a deck I finally bothered to put together that was inspired by a discussion on here sometime around C17 releasing: Ramos' Meme Halls. Using Nexus in the win loop both amuses me and helps delay carpal tunnel.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

In the spirit of mixing dumb casual Timmy/Johnny plays with $3k worth of Vintage-lite, here's a deck I finally bothered to put together that was inspired by a discussion on here sometime around C17 releasing: Ramos' Meme Halls. Using Nexus in the win loop both amuses me and helps delay carpal tunnel.

I feel like a deck with several draw 7s and a way to recur it should probably have a Lotus Petal.

Also, how often do your really need Progenitus as an alt win-con or as a 5-color pitch card?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I feel like a deck with several draw 7s and a way to recur it should probably have a Lotus Petal.

Also, how often do your really need Progenitus as an alt win-con or as a 5-color pitch card?

Reasonable points on both ends. I've focused the ramp on being both permanent and color-fixing but Petal is too good not to throw in, and Progenitus is a relic of the old Legacy lists I was using as a basis for the combo. It would take a relatively convoluted situation to actually make Progenitus relevant, and Petal looping would solve that in at least a couple of the scenarios I can come up with (i.e. too low on life for Deluge to clear the board, not enough mana to recast Ramos after a Verdict or use Rift to clear the board).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Reasonable points on both ends. I've focused the ramp on being both permanent and color-fixing but Petal is too good not to throw in, and Progenitus is a relic of the old Legacy lists I was using as a basis for the combo. It would take a relatively convoluted situation to actually make Progenitus relevant, and Petal looping would solve that in at least a couple of the scenarios I can come up with (i.e. too low on life for Deluge to clear the board, not enough mana to recast Ramos after a Verdict or use Rift to clear the board).

I like Trace of Abundance as a 2CMC ramp in this deck that is also 3 colors for Conflux/Halls.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I like Trace of Abundance as a 2CMC ramp in this deck that is also 3 colors for Conflux/Halls.

Hot drat, I never even noticed that card existed because I wasn't playing during Alara.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Hot drat, I never even noticed that card existed because I wasn't playing during Alara.

You should also probably be running Deathrite Shaman.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

You should also probably be running Deathrite Shaman.

The other part i forgot to mention with respect to the ramp choices was that I want to avoid mana dorks like the plague, and being able to pitch for 2 colors and play minor reanimator defense doesn't make up for not reliably staying on the board IMO.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Another thing I might consider for a deck like this is Bring to Light, but idk.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Another thing I might consider for a deck like this is Bring to Light, but idk.

If it got enchantments I'd be playing it, but I don't think it's worth it as is. I think I'd run Dark Petition over it but even that feels pretty questionable.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm going vacationing with my old EDH crew this weekend; I don't play much these days, but wanted to bring new decks with me. This is a first pass at a Windgrace build, any thoughts?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The obvious missing piece is Dakmor Salvage, but the bigger issue is that your deck is trying to be too many things.

Is your deck:
  • Land tricks?
  • The kind of deck that needs to land T2 Bitterblossom?
  • A combo deck?
  • A stax deck?

Right now it's trying to be all 4 of those things and isn't particularly good at any of them because too many deck slots are devoted to the other 3.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, with a commander that pitches cards and dredgers, why are you paying full price for anything?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Continuing the saga of the beat-up LED:

It has arrived.

And a close-up of the text:

It's definitely seen better days. I don't think my methods of testing its legitimacy are that good due to lack of a loupe or a decent flashlight (just the one on my phone), so I'm gonna see if some LGS folks can tell me what they think.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

That's some Indiana Jones poo poo right there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's certainly an artifact.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

My phone's light is good enough for the light test. I have some high-quality proxies/fakes, and they're very obviously much dimmer than real cards with the light against the front of the card, looking at the card backs.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Infinite Karma posted:

My phone's light is good enough for the light test. I have some high-quality proxies/fakes, and they're very obviously much dimmer than real cards with the light against the front of the card, looking at the card backs.
This--phone lights are just fine for the light test. The high-quality picture of the left side of the card looks pretty right to me, can you post one of the casting cost/expansion symbol as well please?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

standard.deviant posted:

This--phone lights are just fine for the light test. The high-quality picture of the left side of the card looks pretty right to me, can you post one of the casting cost/expansion symbol as well please?

I took it to my LGS and they did a light test comparing it and another card from Mirage. He says it looks legit to him, so I'll take his word for it. But for the sake of answering your question:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Google "bend test", I'm told that's the best way.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Gynovore posted:

Google "bend test", I'm told that's the best way.
It’s already damaged, might as well just tell them to do a rip test.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/garnas-graveyard-panic/?cb=1534370909
This is my first try building an aristocrats style deck using Garna the Bloodflame. Are there any budget friendly things I'm missing that would improve the deck?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Danger Diabolik posted:

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/garnas-graveyard-panic/?cb=1534370909
This is my first try building an aristocrats style deck using Garna the Bloodflame. Are there any budget friendly things I'm missing that would improve the deck?

Disciple of Bolas and Fleshbag Marauder's twin brother, Merciless Executioner.

Edit: Oh and Mind Stone + Talisman of Dominance for mana rocks.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 16, 2018

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Disciple of Bolas and Fleshbag Marauder's twin brother, Merciless Executioner.

Edit: Oh and Mind Stone + Talisman of Dominance for mana rocks.

Thanks!
What would you recommend cutting for the rocks and Disciple of Bolas?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Danger Diabolik posted:

Thanks!
What would you recommend cutting for the rocks and Disciple of Bolas?

Unstable Obelisk is very slow. Barter in Blood and Syphon Mind don't seem to help your gameplan as much as they annoy your opponents. Ornithopter looks like it's just there to be a cheap creature. I'd start with those.

Also, you should probably be running Blood Artist as well as Zulaport Cutthroat. And I promise you do not need Reliquary Tower.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

tzirean posted:

Unstable Obelisk is very slow. Barter in Blood and Syphon Mind don't seem to help your gameplan as much as they annoy your opponents. Ornithopter looks like it's just there to be a cheap creature. I'd start with those.

Also, you should probably be running Blood Artist as well as Zulaport Cutthroat. And I promise you do not need Reliquary Tower.

Thanks :) Those first three seem like good cuts. Ornithopter is REALLY GOOD though since the win condition of the deck is to get a loop going where you sacrifice Garna while her ability is is on the stack to return her and other cheap/free creatures to your hand.

That's also why Reliquary Tower is in the deck. I know it's usually a really garbage card, but you can end up in situations where you functionally have a 4-5 card hand after returning Garna and some other combo pieces to your hand.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have discovered that Vendilion Clique on an end step plus Tunnel Vision on my turn is an extremely funny combo.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Heath posted:

I have discovered that Vendilion Clique on an end step plus Tunnel Vision on my turn is an extremely funny combo.
Fact

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Thrown together a first draft at a Lord Landfall deck, Still waiting on some other cards to arrive, but I submit it for the glorious judgement of the thread:

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-08-18-lord-landfall/

Edit : Test pulls are showing it has an issue getting going in until turn 5/6.

midge fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 19, 2018

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Heath posted:

The true use for Tunnel Vision is to target yourself, name Replenish, and see what happens!
I have flat out killed myself with this combo, thanks to drawing my whole deck with Eidolon of Blossoms.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

midge posted:

Thrown together a first draft at a Lord Landfall deck, Still waiting on some other cards to arrive, but I submit it for the glorious judgement of the thread:

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-08-18-lord-landfall/

Edit : Test pulls are showing it has an issue getting going in until turn 5/6.

D A K M O R S A L V A G E

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm pretty new to Commander and don't yet know for sure what the powerlevel/saltiness of my local store's playgroup is. Let's assume they are an "average" non-cEDH crowd. Are they likely to give me poo poo about a deck that contains a few potential infinite combos?

Or more accurately, one combo with a few payoffs - Its Aminatou with Felidar Guardian. Altar, Vela, Pirahna Marsh, or Angel of Destroying Permanents are the possible payoffs. I realize this is a super-basic "everyone knows about it" combo, but I don't know how touchy your average Commander group is.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm pretty new to Commander and don't yet know for sure what the powerlevel/saltiness of my local store's playgroup is. Let's assume they are an "average" non-cEDH crowd. Are they likely to give me poo poo about a deck that contains a few potential infinite combos?

Or more accurately, one combo with a few payoffs - Its Aminatou with Felidar Guardian. Altar, Vela, Pirahna Marsh, or Angel of Destroying Permanents are the possible payoffs. I realize this is a super-basic "everyone knows about it" combo, but I don't know how touchy your average Commander group is.

There's no such thing as an 'average' Commander group. Some play finely honed combo decks that drop a hard lock on turn 2, some play battlecruiser decks that splash Knowledge Pool just for fun.

Also there's no correlation between power level and saltiness. Many people with $5000 decks are totally chill.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If someone cares how many iterations your combo could do after the game is over, they probably just suck to play with. Combo is a legitimate archetype. Imagine getting salty about battleship: oh, a 15/15, I can't interact with that, it's not fair. If you play aggro, they'll just complain that your cards all cost less than theirs. Some people only want to play with and against cards that do nothing but stall the game, and complain about threats on the board. I'm not even saying that you should spend money on your deck to win, because most of the time, it's the dollar rares and good deck-building that wins the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yeah that's not even a particularly horrific combo to bushwhack a playing group with. It needs three separate pieces and while one of them is your Commander and thus always at hand, just removing the Felidar at instant speed will gently caress it. They can suck it up.

EDIT: A good way of scaling a combo to whatever your local power level is, instead of making it non-infinite, simply either make the same infinite clunkier (less tutors) or require more cards. And if the hard limit people have with your combo is that they don't want to run instant speed interaction...at some point that's their problem not yours. People who are at that point will complain about anything.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 19, 2018