Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

abigserve posted:

Remember back in the day when you could run a 6500 for a decade and not have a single problem with it? Remember the phrase "noone ever got fired for buying CISCO?" what happeeeened

apseudonym posted:

Its not that they got worse, they were always this bad, its just that non-spooky people now look at these products critically

they’re both getting more complicated and also they realized that if some TLA knows about a vuln they should fix it instead of letting it be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

anthonypants posted:

if you change your email address on slack, it sends the confirmation request to the new address, and doesn't notify the old address at all?

i guess it needs to send the confirmation like that if your old email service went down, but sending a notification and maybe an emergency stop link to the original email would be nice

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/infosecxual/status/1029954618057482241

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
something something the ol' spicy debit card

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I mean fires should probably be expected if you manufacture things in Molton Keynes

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

yes, but that's where the precushions help to soothe the pain

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

i admire the audacity

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

abigserve posted:

security fuckup: CISCO

I'm sick of having CVE's forwarded to me every month about critical vulnerabilities in IKE, or SSL, or some other bullshit. I'm sick of doing emergency upgrades only to have to upgrade them again because the patch code actually introduced more issues.

Remember back in the day when you could run a 6500 for a decade and not have a single problem with it? Remember the phrase "noone ever got fired for buying CISCO?" what happeeeened

This is one of the reasons StrongSwan and OpenVPN projects started, although not without major issues themselves in the past.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

abigserve posted:

security fuckup: CISCO

I'm sick of having CVE's forwarded to me every month about critical vulnerabilities in IKE, or SSL, or some other bullshit. I'm sick of doing emergency upgrades only to have to upgrade them again because the patch code actually introduced more issues.

the best part about this is that it's still a colossal pain in the rear end to update your cisco firmware.

love to spend an entire 40 hour work week rolling out an update to 100 ASAs because it still uses a lovely java interface where uploads fail 99% of the time and there's no central management so you have to do them 1 by 1

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

oh its not a swindle, what you do is, see
you give them all your credit card numbers and if one of them is lucky theyll send you a prize

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

don't some european credit cards actually have batteries in them now? i wonder if hackers could really turn your wallet into a bomb :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they have batteries, because they have a time based CVV displayed on a lcd screen on the back, and it's very good imo

otoh, it's probably one of those button batteries that can't really be turned into a bomb. now lipo vaping apparatuses...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
considering the size of the battery, it would probably explode with less than the force of a cap gun shot

might still burn your pocket tho

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Talk about money burning a hole in your pocket, ammirite?

:dadjoke:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ate all the Oreos posted:

if farenheit 451 was real and happened in tyool 2018 there'd be people arguing about the rights of free speech of the book-burning firemen and how after all some books say bad things too so who can really say which is right or wrong

You may have missed that that was actually the case for the people in the book; mass media was more palatable and didn't offend the sensibilities of various groups, leading to an anti intellectual surge; and shortened books devolved into nothingness.

The populace in 451 voted the whole system into place. It wasn't an authoritarian government, it was a willful rejection of other worldviews because they made the average person uncomfortable.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 16, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Schadenboner posted:

Talk about money burning a hole in your pocket, ammirite?

:dadjoke:

*sigh* :emptyquote:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

You may have missed that that was actually the case for the people in the book; mass media was more palatable and didn't offend the sensibilities of various groups, leading to an anti intellectual surge; and shortened books devolved into nothingness.

The populace in 451 voted the whole system into place. It wasn't an authoritarian government, it was a willful rejection of other worldviews because they made the average person uncomfortable.

no i think i got that, or at least i remember how much of a big deal they made of the wallscreens and stuff like that and how people generally didn't like books, i'm saying it would be significantly dumber than that without any sort of actual unified push and with a lot of waffling and equivocating and inaction

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

a former internal security and investigations employee turned SEC whistleblower is alleging that Tesla rigged up their plant to intercept cell calls and data:

quote:

Hansen was terminated on July 16 after raising the issues to Tesla, according to the release. Meissner said he’d been hired by Tesla within the past year.

Following Tripp’s departure, Hansen claims, Tesla “went so far as to install specialized router equipment within its Nevada Gigafactory designed to capture employee cell phone communications and/or retrieve employee cell phone data.”

I'm guessing they got some grey market IMSI catchers or something.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Doesn't the FCC find that sort of thing distasteful? I know some hotels, for example, get away with repeaters to deal with connection issues, but reading them is perhaps a little different.

Unless they've put it in the employee contract.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
mandatory binding arbitration! woo!~~

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

here's a sec fuckup from the cia

quote:

When CIA officers begin working with a new source, they often use an interim covert communications system—in case the person turns out to be a double agent.

The communications system used in China during this period was internet-based and accessible from laptop or desktop computers, two of the former officials said.

This interim, or “throwaway,” system, an encrypted digital program, allows for remote communication between an intelligence officer and a source, but it is also separated from the main communications system used with vetted sources, reducing the risk if an asset goes bad.

Although they used some of the same coding, the interim system and the main covert communication platform used in China at this time were supposed to be clearly separated. In theory, if the interim system were discovered or turned over to Chinese intelligence, people using the main system would still be protected—and there would be no way to trace the communication back to the CIA. But the CIA’s interim system contained a technical error: It connected back architecturally to the CIA’s main covert communications platform. When the compromise was suspected, the FBI and NSA both ran “penetration tests” to determine the security of the interim system. They found that cyber experts with access to the interim system could also access the broader covert communications system the agency was using to interact with its vetted sources, according to the former officials.

In the words of one of the former officials, the CIA had “hosed up the firewall” between the two systems.

U.S. intelligence officers were also able to identify digital links between the covert communications system and the U.S. government itself, according to one former official—links the Chinese agencies almost certainly found as well. These digital links would have made it relatively easy for China to deduce that the covert communications system was being used by the CIA. In fact, some of these links pointed back to parts of the CIA’s own website, according to the former official.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/15/botched-cia-communications-system-helped-blow-cover-chinese-agents-intelligence/

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SIGSEGV posted:

Doesn't the FCC find that sort of thing distasteful? I know some hotels, for example, get away with repeaters to deal with connection issues, but reading them is perhaps a little different.

Unless they've put it in the employee contract.

repeaters and microcells have to be licensed and FCC rules specifically prohibit devices capable of interception of cell phone signals and extraction of the contents. stingray/triggerfish devices are an exception but the FCC only licenses them for law enforcement use.

the FCC is probably on the lookout for a high profile enforcement opportunity because they know the devices are starting to become available. going off the penalties for cell phone jammers the fines would probably be in the neighborhood of $16k, per device, per day of operation.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

repeaters and microcells have to be licensed and FCC rules specifically prohibit devices capable of interception of cell phone signals and extraction of the contents. stingray/triggerfish devices are an exception but the FCC only licenses them for law enforcement use.

the FCC is probably on the lookout for a high profile enforcement opportunity because they know the devices are starting to become available. going off the penalties for cell phone jammers the fines would probably be in the neighborhood of $16k, per device, per day of operation.

:yeshaha:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Trabisnikof posted:

a journo on twitter said that one of the spies worked at a national laboratory of some kind. the employees there were instructed to turn on the closed circuit tv one day. when they did, it was a live feed of the spy and his pregnant wife being executed :gonk:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Trabisnikof posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - CIA hosed up the firewall

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a journo on twitter said that one of the spies worked at a national laboratory of some kind. the employees there were instructed to turn on the closed circuit tv one day. when they did, it was a live feed of the spy and his pregnant wife being executed :gonk:

just like when your computer fucks up and you flatten & reinstall, the same can be applied to humans

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shifty Pony posted:

good thing that $16K/day is nothing compared to telsa's current burn rate

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

apseudonym posted:

Its not that they got worse, they were always this bad, its just that non-spooky people now look at these products critically

nah I reckon they've gotten way worse, CISCO used to be quite well regarded as developing stable hardware/software unless you were on the absolute bleeding edge and even then it was ok

compared with today they might as well be a different company

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is better than what the us gov does; when someone does something bad they get off scot free and the rest of us have to put up with a bunch of lovely rules. i'd much rather watch fuckups and traitors die.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Cusco seemingly just buys random startups it has no idea what to do with, like those Flip video cameras

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Gotta love it when you do the favor of telling a website's admin after getting your password emailed to you tell them that storing plaintext passwords incredibly loving stupid and irresponsible and they just call you twat and a troll.

419eater.com you think would be more security savvy.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Suspicious Dish posted:

Cusco seemingly just buys random startups it has no idea what to do with, like those Flip video cameras

I was working there at the time, everyone on the inside was just as confused about why they bought a consumer video camera company. The best guess I saw at the time was they might have had some video patents Cisco could use for Telepresense. At least we got company discounts on the cameras.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the good play for Cisco+flip would have been home use integration but they still aren’t anywhere near the likes of ubiqiti for networking, let alone end-use devices.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pairofdimes posted:

I was working there at the time, everyone on the inside was just as confused about why they bought a consumer video camera company. The best guess I saw at the time was they might have had some video patents Cisco could use for Telepresense. At least we got company discounts on the cameras.

what do you feel about the ceo's new venture of making bad grilled cheese sandwiches for rich people

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Gotta love it when you do the favor of telling a website's admin after getting your password emailed to you tell them that storing plaintext passwords incredibly loving stupid and irresponsible and they just call you twat and a troll.

419eater.com you think would be more security savvy.

does using a known malware signature still drop databases if you put your plaintext password in them?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Suspicious Dish posted:

what do you feel about the ceo's new venture of making bad grilled cheese sandwiches for rich people

What now? Chambers was still CEO when I left, if he's making grilled cheese sandwiches that's probably safer than his habit of somehow causing the stock to drop after the earnings call regardless of what happened that quarter.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

i guess that's the famed nobus thing, right?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hacker mchackface spotted
https://twitter.com/lorenzofb/status/1030126709662785536

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

apseudonym posted:

to be fair, you can also cram a lot more bugs into 1gb of firmware, as opposed to 1mb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

those are my hacky sack edits

• Locked thread