Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

I know you're trolling but its so convincingly disguised as your standard-fare, faux-progressive twitter rhetoric that it annoys me via placebo effect.

Oh, what the hell, if we're gonna go full twitter, here's the Jacobin review and a Huffington Post rejoinder:

quote:

Vance spells out his thesis in the introduction: conditions beyond their control brought economic hard times to white Americans, but their preexistent “hillbilly culture” dictates that they react to “bad circumstances in the worst way possible.”

“There is a lack of agency here,” Vance writes, “a feeling that you have little control over your life and a willingness to blame everyone but yourself.” Whites, especially young adult males, react to economic crisis with violence or substance abuse rather than escaping their “socially isolated” environment to, say, Yale Law School as Vance did through the support of his always hardworking, always colorful, grandparents.

The story follows the Horatio Alger template, extolling the virtues of “hillbilly culture” while simultaneously scolding it for its flaws.
Hillbilly Elegy is misnamed. Elegies are poems dedicated to the dead. The American hillbilly isn’t dead; he’s just poor. The book should have been titled Hillbilly Reprimand, because Vance doesn’t want to mourn the hillbilly — he wants to make him a good worker.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/10/hillbilly-elegy-review-jd-vance-national-review-white-working-class-appalachia/

quote:

The fact that people will read his book, and assume that all Appalachian people are trying to actively run away from their culture, and that if they are smart, they will understand it to be less than and the people they came from to be crazy lunatics is, to me, one of the more personal attacks that Vance hurls at Appalachian people in his 261-page simultaneous fetishization and admonishment of my culture.

“Elegy” has no class, no heart, and no warmth. It’s a poorly written appropriation of Appalachian stereotypes that presents us as a people who aren’t worthy of anything but derision and pity, and who cannot be helped because we refuse to help ourselves. It ignores the systemic capitalist oppression that encourages persistent poverty. It assumes there is some special sect of the working class that is especially dedicated to white people. It is rife with fragile masculinity that actively diminishes the critical role that Appalachian women play in the culture, the resistance, in the workforce, and in the new economy.

I come from dignity and grace and laughter and joy, and while I do not discount the difficult childhood that Vance lived through and his own lived experience, “Hillbilly Elegy” erases and erodes any Appalachian experience outside his own non-Appalachian experience by reinforcing repeatedly that Appalachian “hillbilly” culture is somehow deficient and morally decrepit, and that it is something to be overcome.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...dushpmg00000003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Oh my God who bought blarzgh's new av.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 16, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh my God who bought blargh's new av.

I did it with hillbilly money

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Oh, what the hell, if we're gonna go full twitter, here's the Jacobin review and a Huffington Post rejoinder:

Counterpoint: the review from the New Yorker I posted says the opposite of the reviews from Jacobin and Huffpo you posted.

To be clear, you are saying poor, white, rural, racist, misogynistic culture is, in fact, good - correct? Please speak directly into the microphone.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh my God who bought blarzgh's new av.

As an expert on avatars I say it's pretty good.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

SlyFrog posted:

Is he actually conservative? I honestly don't know. Someone suggested the book to me for a very different reason - understanding why, even when you leave poverty and abuse behind and become successful, that things don't magically become better.

I didn't know he was pro-conservative.

He almost ran for Senate in Ohio this year and he was going to run as a Republican.

Counterpoint to anyone having credibility bc they grew up poor and now think bootstraps conservatism works: Ben Carson.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

Counterpoint: the review from the New Yorker I posted says the opposite of the reviews from Jacobin and Huffpo you posted.

I don't think it does. In fact, part of that New Yorker article uses the same pull quote from the Jacobin one:

quote:

But “hillbilly culture,” which allows “the white working class to blame its problems on society or the government,” is part of the problem, too. Vance criticizes its violence, its stubbornness, its pride, its incuriosity, and its “bizarre sexism,” which, he thinks, all encourage “reacting to bad circumstances in the worst way possible.”
Why is hillbilly culture so defensive, insular, and frozen in time?
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-lives-of-poor-white-people

blarzgh posted:

To be clear, you are saying poor, white, rural, racist, misogynistic culture is, in fact, good - correct? Please speak directly into the microphone.

No. I'm saying there is some dispute over the quality and relevance of Hillbilly Elegy.

Look Sir Droids posted:

He almost ran for Senate in Ohio this year and he was going to run as a Republican.

Let's see how he self-describes in the NYT:

quote:

I happen to be a conservative
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/opinion/trumpcare-obamacare-solutions.html

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Which part, that people are dismissive and close-minded? Or condescending and patronizing?

Lol sure dude. Fuckin got em

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Look Sir Droids posted:

Counterpoint to anyone having credibility bc they grew up poor and now think bootstraps conservatism works: Ben Carson.

Ah. Okay. I did not know he believed in bootstrap conservatism. Hillbilly Elegy has nothing to do with that. Nothing in the book that I recall discusses how people can make it out through hard work and superior motivation or anything. It really is a book about pain and suffering, and how deep the tendrils of that type of socio-economic suffering reach even for people who “make it out.”

When I read the book, I honestly got the opposite reading from it. That he acknowledged how fortunate he was to get away, and how unfortunate it is that most cannot.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
When I read the book I honestly didn’t see any point to it. Just a meandering biography with no real critique or social commentary other than “granny was tough.”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It really just seemed like an obligatory book written by a dude who wanted to run for public office.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When I read the book I honestly didn’t see any point to it. Just a meandering biography with no real critique or social commentary other than “granny was tough.”

Yea

Vance is a shitbag, his book is meaningless pablum, let's not fight about it dear friends

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That ‘s why I did not know his politics, they don’t come out in the book. If anything, I assumed he was liberal, based on his description of how background can affect you and gently caress you up.

I don’t think he intended some grand political commentary, and I certainly did not see it in the book. I think he just tried to paint a picture of a certain class of people growing up in that region, what life was and is like, the horrible obstacles and difficulties they face, some of the cultural hurdles they have created, etc.

I think the notion that there is a political part of it has come from appropriation by others.

I do think it gives insight into the mindset of people who vote for Trump against their own interests. I have not seen a lot of other books from the vantage point of poor, rural America - of actually trying to understand what their lives are like, why they think the way they do. Which is the only reason I originally mentioned it (in response to that exact series of questions - why are poor people voting for Trump against their own interests).

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 17, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Discendo Vox posted:

I heard a sick rumor that there were Yankees fans in this here thread.

Hey, are you {{{Yankish}}}?

Toona the Cat posted:

Everyone knows that Jews are Mets fans.

mastershakeman posted:

There's no way that jews waste their money on such an worthless product

Vox Nihili posted:

Jesus Christ.

Not on him, either.

AR is {{{Yankish}}}

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
As a male WASP I demand this thread return to its rightful providence of tacos.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

As a male WASP I demand this thread return to its rightful providence of tacos.

For some reason I have the "What have I become, my sweetest friend" lyric from Hurt running through my head over and over. I am so sorry for my (unintended) role in this godforesaken travesty.

I made a quesadilla last night. With shredded major grocery chain cheese that says something about being "Mexican" on it. Is that close enough to tacos?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

SlyFrog posted:

For some reason I have the "What have I become, my sweetest friend" lyric from Hurt running through my head over and over. I am so sorry for my (unintended) role in this godforesaken travesty.

I made a quesadilla last night. With shredded major grocery chain cheese that says something about being "Mexican" on it. Is that close enough to tacos?

That's just two open faced tacos fused together

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Im not reading any of the previous posts but the hillbilly elegy guy is a grifter and I'm sorry you've fallen for it

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Your political minute

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Im not reading any of the previous posts but the hillbilly elegy guy is a grifter and I'm sorry you've fallen for it

Goddamn it, I was going to respond to this (in a nice way), but I'm going to stick to loving tacos. Stop taunting me HDD, you know I love you.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Our Prime Minister brutally owned a heckler and his power grew exponentially. I am unaware of any food related faux pas but am confident there's something involving seal meat or whale blubber out there.

I guess the closest we come is Mayor Rob "Chris Farley" Ford denying he wanted to eat out another politician because "I get plenty to eat at home."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Your political minute

John Kerry made the correct decision. That yellow goo they call "cheese" is horrid.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I fell asleep in my home office after coming home from work. I was so tired that I was unresponsive and couldn't be woken to the extent that my wife and kids were momentarily worried that I had died.

First thing I did after waking from my evening nap was check my email then going to the gym to lift.

Partner Life

In more sobering news I ran into a former friend of mine in Penn Station. He is now a homeless schizophrenic harassing random people at the train station. I'm trying to get him help but he isn't capable of accepting it and I don't want him put in the legal system. Serious mental illness is so scary.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 17, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'll take care of him for 150k/yr.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Man, that shredded cheese stuff is a life-saver. Handful of it in any meal turns it into a gourmet experience for the kids. Heck, when I'm too tired to cook, they'll eat it straight out of the bag.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Yuns posted:

I fell asleep in my home office after coming home from work. I was so tired that I was unresponsive and couldn't be woken to the extent that my wife and kids were momentarily worried that I had died.

First thing I did after waking from my evening nap was check my email then going to the gym to lift.

Partner Life

In more sobering news I ran into a former friend of mine in Penn Station. He is now a homeless schizophrenic harassing random people at the train station. I'm trying to get him help but he isn't capable of accepting it and I don't want him put in the legal system. Serious mental illness is so scary.

The legal system is there for exactly the situation you're dealing with. They are far better equipped and have experience dealing with people like your old friend. Your friend can not get lower than a homeless person running around Penn Station. Seeking some sort of civil commitment is going to be better for him than being arrested and cycled through the criminal system, which is probably the most likely outcome, followed closely by death in the winter.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 17, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Pook Good Mook posted:

The legal system is there for exactly the situation you're dealing with. They are far better equipped and have experience dealing with people like your old friend. Your friend can not get lower than a homeless person running around Penn Station. Seeking some sort of civil commitment is going to be better for him than being arrested and cycled through the criminal system, which is probably the most likely outcome, followed closely by death in the winter.
You're right. He needs civil commitment, but as a former friend and not a family member, I don't think I'm the one who can or should start the process. I'm trying to direct him to homeless services like BRC which can help with both housing and mental health services but he has been in and out of shelters and is super reluctant to seek help. Interestingly, the cops at Penn Station are actually generally pretty good at dealing with homeless. I've seen them asking people if they need help rather than just forcing them along or arresting them.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 17, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Most cops I've ever known that have any sort of routine beat know pretty much every homeless person in the area by name because they've had to deal with them time and again.

I used to give homeless people free food from the taco truck when I was working behind the bar because gently caress it why not, but I had to stop because some of them were assholes to my employees when I wasn't there to the point that they didn't feel safe. One of my uncles is homeless because of mental illness and drug abuse, and he refuses any help other than just cash that anyone wants to offer. Last time one of his brothers went by to help him with something, he met them at the door to the shelter, asked if they had the cash for him, snatched it out of their hands, and slammed the door on him. No one has attempted to talk to him since. His daughter wanted him to walk her down the aisle at her wedding. My dad was willing to pony up all the money for a suit, haircut, and anything else he needed to do so and he told both his daughter and my dad to gently caress off when they asked him. So my dad walked my cousin down the aisle instead.

I made some chicken for tacos a few days ago but I've only eaten it over rice.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is a male wasp a swamp?

And yeah, family mental illness sucks. My wife's uncle is a schizophrenic who would send postcards of gibberish every few years to his mother (rip). Also convicted of arson and a scientologist

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

John Kerry made the correct decision. That yellow goo they call "cheese" is horrid.

cheese whiz is a crime against humanity but the good cheese on a cheesesteak is provolone not swiss

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I remember when all we had to worry about in this life was whether John Kerry ate the right cheese on his sandwich and whether our president liked gay French mustard instead of heterosexual American mustard

those were good days

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

cheese whiz is a crime against humanity but the good cheese on a cheesesteak is provolone not swiss

This is the most correct thing ever said in this thread

Soothing Vapors posted:

I remember when all we had to worry about in this life was whether John Kerry ate the right cheese on his sandwich and whether our president liked gay French mustard instead of heterosexual American mustard

those were good days

I don’t know I think it’s pretty rad that the guy in charge of JSOC who killed Bin Laden basically called the president a loser idiot

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Yuns posted:

You're right. He needs civil commitment, but as a former friend and not a family member, I don't think I'm the one who can or should start the process. I'm trying to direct him to homeless services like BRC which can help with both housing and mental health services but he has been in and out of shelters and is super reluctant to seek help. Interestingly, the cops at Penn Station are actually generally pretty good at dealing with homeless. I've seen them asking people if they need help rather than just forcing them along or arresting them.

The laws vary state to state, and some states do allow friends to file with the appropriate authority for at least an evaluation by a psychiatrist. If he’s willing when you talk to him, you can also just ask him to come with you to Bellevue to get help. I have a friend from high school that went to Harvard that got schizophrenia. It’s really sad and then his schizophrenia got co-opted by the Larouchites so he screams at people outside the subway.

Texas, incidentally, is one of the weirdest where the police initiate 72 hour holds (72 hours worth of court days so good luck on a Friday going into a Tuesday Christmas)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Lote posted:

The laws vary state to state, and some states do allow friends to file with the appropriate authority for at least an evaluation by a psychiatrist. If he’s willing when you talk to him, you can also just ask him to come with you to Bellevue to get help. I have a friend from high school that went to Harvard that got schizophrenia. It’s really sad and then his schizophrenia got co-opted by the Larouchites so he screams at people outside the subway.

Texas, incidentally, is one of the weirdest where the police initiate 72 hour holds (72 hours worth of court days so good luck on a Friday going into a Tuesday Christmas)

I was going to write this.

Your friend's family may have no clue where he is, or may have given up on him. You might be "the guy" to advocate for him. Have you contacted his family?

I'm not a New York lawyer, but looking at the laws, it looks like the director or supervisor at a hospital or care home can file for involuntary commitment. So it looks like you can't file, but you might be able to reach out to social services and bring someone with you into Penn Station. His family could do it too if they know what's going on.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Soothing Vapors posted:

those were good days

Reminder that once upon a time there GOP replaced all the Heinz ketchups in part of NYC with Hunter's or something for their convention

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hoshi posted:

Reminder that once upon a time there GOP replaced all the Heinz ketchups in part of NYC with Hunter's or something for their convention

It warms my heart that this lady might be dead by now

Incidentally 2004 was when I lost all faith in the Democratic party. John Kerry should have had a press conference where he went off about this poo poo and called the entire Bush cabinet a bunch of cowardly fucks. But :decorum:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

It warms my heart that this lady might be dead by now

Incidentally 2004 was when I lost all faith in the Democratic party. John Kerry should have had a press conference where he went off about this poo poo and called the entire Bush cabinet a bunch of cowardly fucks. But :decorum:

Yeah, though I thought Bush was dumb and Gore got robbed in 2000, it became perfectly clear in 2004 that the GOP and republicans were utter fucks who would toe the line no matter what, considering they trashed a literal decorated war hero in favor of a loving numbskull draft dodger cokehead.

After listening to my republican retired veteran grandfather constantly rant about "draft dodging pothead" Clinton for 8 years (died in 2000 but I think I know who he would have voted for)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah, though I thought Bush was dumb and Gore got robbed in 2000, it became perfectly clear in 2004 that the GOP and republicans were utter fucks who would toe the line no matter what, considering they trashed a literal decorated war hero in favor of a loving numbskull draft dodger cokehead.

After listening to my republican retired veteran grandfather constantly rant about "draft dodging pothead" Clinton for 8 years (died in 2000 but I think I know who he would have voted for)

I like people who weren't captured

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I like people who weren't captured

It's only gotten worse, yes. And it will get worser yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

blargh your new avatar is Very Good