Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
did they take a homer away from Stanton? I was checking the score at work and it fluctuated between 3-1 and 3-2 several times before we eventually just lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AkumaHokoru posted:

did they take a homer away from Stanton? I was checking the score at work and it fluctuated between 3-1 and 3-2 several times before we eventually just lost.

It was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. The ball literally hit the wall 3/4 of the way down and they called it a homer. And of course Stanton was stranded.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I hope they move Andujar to 1st this offseason or convince Harper to sign up for playing there, because Bird is a really disappointing bust.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

I hope they move Andujar to 1st this offseason or convince Harper to sign up for playing there, because Bird is a really disappointing bust.

Bryce Harper has a 1.3 WAR and is going to want 350m...

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Bryce Harper has a 1.3 WAR and is going to want 350m...

That’s mostly because he has a negative dWAR. His OPS+ in the 2nd half of the season is 198 (132 for the season), with a WRC+ of 196 (133 for the season) and he’s literally just entering his peak, instead of at the end of it like the majority of free agents.

Edit: Plus it’s not my money, so I don’t really care that he’s going to want 350m. The team spent the last few years trying to get under the luxury tax and now that they have, I’d rather they spend it on players like Harper or Machado than more stopgaps that don’t really improve the team all that much, or even worse not spend the money at all.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 17, 2018

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ihatepants posted:

Yeah, it's time for the Bird experiment to end. I wonder what would have happened had he stayed healthy on arrival. Did the fits and starts of injuries and little snippets of playing time lead to this, or was this the guy he was? We will never know! :iiam:

Andujar to first is an intriguing idea though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lumpy posted:

Yeah, it's time for the Bird experiment to end. I wonder what would have happened had he stayed healthy on arrival. Did the fits and starts of injuries and little snippets of playing time lead to this, or was this the guy he was? We will never know! :iiam:

Andujar to first is an intriguing idea though.

They should send Bird to AAA and make him hit his way back to the Majors.

Edit: I poo poo on them for playing bad against bad teams but it's good to see them take care of business this past weekend and Bird even got a few hits. On Oct 3rd nothing that happened before that matters.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 20, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Stanton got a great hand which was nice

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

Stanton got a great hand which was nice

[mcmagic]
Imagine the hand he would have gotten if he didn't suck and if he weren't on the terrible Yankees.
[/mcmagic]

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Joba to the bullpen was a franchise altering mistake. I don't care what intentions the FO has, they cannot move Sheffield to the pen even temporarily because it will 100% galvanize the idiot corner of the fanbase.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

Joba to the bullpen was a franchise altering mistake. I don't care what intentions the FO has, they cannot move Sheffield to the pen even temporarily because it will 100% galvanize the idiot corner of the fanbase.

This seems... not quite right.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kim Jong Il posted:

I think Joba to the bullpen was great. Trying to make him a starter again was the huge mistake. He was absolutely unhittable before they tried to stretch him out. So I guess I agree with you in that "go to the bullpen then try to make you a starter again" is bad.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Because going to the bullpen absolutely ruined Luis Severino and he was never again able to become an effective starting pitcher in baseball.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lumpy posted:

I think Joba to the bullpen was great. Trying to make him a starter again was the huge mistake. He was absolutely unhittable before they tried to stretch him out. So I guess I agree with you in that "go to the bullpen then try to make you a starter again" is bad.

Joba should have stayed in the bullpen 100%.

-signed, Inspector_666 whose only Yankees jersey is a 62 from 2008

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

literally Severino went to the bullpen in 2016 and came back as a top 5 starter

besides, the Yanks are a lot better at PD now than in 08 so I think this move is okay

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ihatepants posted:

Because going to the bullpen absolutely ruined Luis Severino and he was never again able to become an effective starting pitcher in baseball.

Carlosologist posted:

literally Severino went to the bullpen in 2016 and came back as a top 5 starter

besides, the Yanks are a lot better at PD now than in 08 so I think this move is okay

Oh sure, just come in here with your "facts".... :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Way too many no show games like this. How do they have 1 run in 11 innings against this pitching staff?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/YankeesUmp/status/1032100116692381696

I don't think I've ever seen a "0% call same" before.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Severino sucked as a starter in 2016. Joba was an elite starting pitching prospect who was so incredible as a reliever that the idiot brigade demanded he stay in the bullpen. He could have been another Ron Guidry for us, albeit he had some pretty big personal problems. Thinking Joba should have relieved is probably the worst baseball opinion it's possible to have.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Severino sucked as a starter in 2016. Joba was an elite starting pitching prospect who was so incredible as a reliever that the idiot brigade demanded he stay in the bullpen. He could have been another Ron Guidry for us, albeit he had some pretty big personal problems. Thinking Joba should have relieved is probably the worst baseball opinion it's possible to have.

Guys get shuttled from starting to relieving all the time though. Some of the best pitchers of all time started out in the bullpen. I don't know how you can blame Joba's not panning out on that. He didn't have his poo poo together and he got hurt. That was a bad combination.

Also Sheffield isn't anywhere close to the level of prospect Joba was.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 22, 2018

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Midges broke Joba.

I'm only partially joking.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Remember when Joba almost ripped his ankle off on a trampoline?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

Remember when Joba almost ripped his ankle off on a trampoline?

Sorry, I'm watching his sick-nasty slider over and over in my mind.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Never forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI5xJfYH7NI

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
This Joba opinion was a widely held one for a long long time. I thought the Yankees were loving idiotic for ever putting him in the bullpen, even after his tough 23 year old season.

Hence I used to have that old avatar of Joba doing the facepalm with the text "You want me to move where?"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

When I was 18 i thought Phil Hughes was going to develop into a cy young talent. We all believe dumb poo poo every now and then.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I wonder what Jesus Montero is up to these days.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Jesus Montero saga makes me legitimately sad. Armchair psychologizing is dumb but it seems like he just got real depressed at being traded and the wheels really came off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

When I was 18 i thought Phil Hughes was going to develop into a cy young talent. We all believe dumb poo poo every now and then.

He got hurt during the no hitter in Texas and never really recovered. He was a generational prospect.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Who's Joba, never heard of him

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Iodised QQ posted:

Just some fat dude from nebraska, not important

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

Just some fat dude from nebraska, not important

He collects bugs or something weird.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Francesa Was Right ™

AppropriateUser fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 23, 2018

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Good job Boone trying to squeeze more outs out of Lynn. Should have pulled him earlier.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

humpthewind posted:

Good job Boone trying to squeeze more outs out of Lynn. Should have pulled him earlier.

This is another reprehensible offensive performance against lovely pitching.

2-2 against the Marlins. 3-3 against the Mets. 6-6 against the Orioles. Weak sauce.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 23, 2018

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Iodised QQ posted:

A fat guy who critically injured himself playing on a trampoline with his kid.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I was kidding about not knowing who Joba is, I've rocked a jobatar for a decade.

he's presided over some of the shittiest posts this forum has ever seen

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lumpy posted:

He collects bugs or something weird.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/railriderstt/status/1032691162514157568?s=21