Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I didn't use them from an admin perspective, but as a user the Cisco phones at my last job were fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Never had a complaint with our Cisco SPA514G phones. Despite being old as dirt they just work, which is all I ask for.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Macaroni posted:

I didn't use them from an admin perspective, but as a user the Cisco phones at my last job were fantastic.

Yes, the Cisco phones we had at the last building kicked rear end.

These Lync phones we have now are poo poo-rear end terrible.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Using Chrome, laziest version.

Well there's your problem, your browser won't get off its rear end and do work.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

All phones are bad in their own way. Cisco UCM is good if it’s set up right but if you’re currently running a cloud service then it’s likely overkill.

Maybe look at Fuze?

Cisco offers it as a cloud service as well as Webex Calling for simplified use

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kaethela posted:

Well there's your problem, your browser won't get off its rear end and do work.

Must be Chrome, Millennial version hyuck hyuck hyuck hyuck

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We just replaced our old gameboy LCD Cisco phones with some new fancy ones that have a full colour smartphone type display.

Standby mode turns the screen off, and the first button press is not just a wake up call, it does whatever context-sensitive thing it has been set to. Everyone keeps accidentally redialing the person who called them last just by trying to get the screen to turn on, and then those people call back to see what they missed :negative:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually really like Avaya’s standard 9508 digital / 9608 IP phones. They’re solid and reliable and easy to set up, and IP Office / VMPro is actually a good platform for programming medium business call flows. And 9508s/9608s have all the basic features that users actually want and like, such as visual voicemail and programmable buttons.

It’s their higher end stuff that always seems to be over-complicated, badly performing and difficult to set up or use, with lovely software.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Proteus Jones posted:

These Lync phones we have now are poo poo-rear end terrible.

Given how loving horriffic Lync / Skype is, period, I cannot imagine what a horror merging that with a lovely phone must be.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Entropic posted:

I actually really like Avaya’s standard 9508 digital / 9608 IP phones. They’re solid and reliable and easy to set up, and IP Office / VMPro is actually a good platform for programming medium business call flows. And 9508s/9608s have all the basic features that users actually want and like, such as visual voicemail and programmable buttons.

It’s their higher end stuff that always seems to be over-complicated, badly performing and difficult to set up or use, with lovely software.

Ha, we actually moved from IP Office, which was pretty good, yeah.

I kinda agree with the sentiment that more complicated systems aren't worth it at this point - management originally intended to replace our business mobiles with the softphone app to save money but everyone rebelled against doing work stuff on their personal phone and using their personal battery/data, so we're not really using any of the new features.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

All phones are bad in their own way. Cisco UCM is good if it’s set up right but if you’re currently running a cloud service then it’s likely overkill.

Maybe look at Fuze?

Our Cisco UCM and 7945s seem fairly solid. VOICE DIAL is a constant source of hilarity.

But stop using hardware desk phones, tho.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes. The voice guys at my company put out a request for volunteers to go softphone-only. They also said they'll disable voicemail if you don't want it.

I signed up for both immediately.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SamDabbers posted:

The voice guys at my company put out a request for volunteers to go softphone-only.

We were told we would have endless QoS issues if we did that

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yeah that was in the fine print of the request for volunteers. Also no way to have proper e911.

Sure, it's harder to do QoS properly without a dedicated voice VLAN, but it's not like they can't prioritize on DSCP tags and whatnot.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

phones bad

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 5, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

Yes. The voice guys at my company put out a request for volunteers to go softphone-only. They also said they'll disable voicemail if you don't want it.

I signed up for both immediately.

I would definitely sign up for no voicemail.

Bob Morales posted:

We were told we would have endless QoS issues if we did that
It's not perfect, but about half of our HQ is softphone-only, including our call center.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Since I kicked off phone chat I guess I should have mentioned that we currently use 3CX with Yealink phones, which seems to be a great blend of usability, features, and so far reliability. (And the price is absurdly low, plus it's software so we're not tied to some loving proprietary hardware box, the concept of which is insane to me in 2018 for VOIP since it's just loving IP traffic - yeah it needs QoS and blah blah, but it's not magic packets). 3CX itself seems to be the little PBX that could but that no one's ever heard of. I've been concerned about it because it wants to be on the Internet, as in not NATted but have a bunch of ports actually exposed, but so far it seems OK (well and we don't open SIP except to the provider, the smartphone apps all use a 3CX proprietary tunnel on port 5090).

But we're moving to it from loving ancient Cisco CMEs, so not having to deal with the Cisco configs and lovely IE6-only GUI is real fuckin nice.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Our Cisco UCM and 7945s seem fairly solid. VOICE DIAL is a constant source of hilarity.

7945s are EOL. The voice attendant in Connection is pretty terribad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Partycat posted:

7945s are EOL. The voice attendant in Connection is pretty terribad.

Dude we have hundreds of 7941s in production here.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Dude you have hundreds of unsupported java computers in production there

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah we keep buying them off of Amazon for $25 each because non-EOL phones cost too drat much.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It seems like the VOIP handset market is more-or-less the buggy whip market c. 1918, but they're still pricing as if it were the dressage riding crop market c. 2018?

All's I'm saying is I don't see "VOIP Handset" becoming even an Observer-Status Olympic sport any time soon, metaphorically speaking?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

New sets are $120ish with a reasonable discount so I mean ... they are cheaper than they were.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Partycat posted:

I do remember seeing the JAVA logo on boot up and I got a little sweaty and panicky, but eh, they work pretty good.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

All SIP phones are garbage, Cisco phones especially so. Though we have a client that uses a shitton of Spectralinks and gently caress those things. Impossible to provision correctly and a nightmare to support.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A ticket came in....

Security bought a laptop off of Craigslist and wanted to if it was one of ours. It was, retired just a couple of weeks ago.

We have a strict process for retiring machines, from verifying that the data was wiped to it going on a truck for recycling or donating. Some serious questions are going to be asked.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Let me guess, it wasn't wiped either?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Since I kicked off phone chat I guess I should have mentioned that we currently use 3CX with Yealink phones, which seems to be a great blend of usability, features, and so far reliability. (And the price is absurdly low, plus it's software so we're not tied to some loving proprietary hardware box, the concept of which is insane to me in 2018 for VOIP since it's just loving IP traffic - yeah it needs QoS and blah blah, but it's not magic packets). 3CX itself seems to be the little PBX that could but that no one's ever heard of. I've been concerned about it because it wants to be on the Internet, as in not NATted but have a bunch of ports actually exposed, but so far it seems OK (well and we don't open SIP except to the provider, the smartphone apps all use a 3CX proprietary tunnel on port 5090).

But we're moving to it from loving ancient Cisco CMEs, so not having to deal with the Cisco configs and lovely IE6-only GUI is real fuckin nice.

3CX is good. We’ve been running it for about eight years now, always meant to look at alternatives but the company has trebled in size and the cost of going to the cloud is prohibitive, especially considering we wouldn’t gain anything that anybody cares about. Softphone works really well but nobody uses it, the web client is good but again nobody cares about that. We pay maybe £400/year in maintenance, even the cheapest cloud provider is that price each month, so it’s staying around for now. Just need to swap the phones with better supported models.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

mllaneza posted:

Security bought a laptop off of Craigslist and wanted to know if it was one of ours. It was, retired just a couple of weeks

I don't know if I've already told this story, in this thread, but we had something slightly similar to this, at my company. Dude had an old laptop in his desk, IT never came for it, so he figured he would flatten, reinstall, and give it to his girlfriend. Laptop has something in it that phones home, periodically, so security tracked down the original owner and grilled him.

Once they got the laptop back, they got the paperwork together for Termination with Cause. Dude had been there for years and was close to retirement. At the 11th hour, they let him resign, instead.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was told to stop putting in my ticket notes that I used all my resources because it makes us look like we don't know what we're doing (we don't) :negative:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was told to stop putting in my ticket notes that I used all my resources because it makes us look like we don't know what we're doing (we don't) :negative:

Resources used:
Asked jackass boss, no response.
Attempted prayer, no divine intervention, possibly in secret hell.
Applied profanity to ticket, no response
Queried code debugging rubber duckie, fix suggested did not work
Applied high quality engine part cleaner directly to stomach (Rye flavored!), problem still unresolved
Checked knowledgebase, no valid KB found

All availible resources utilized, unable to resolve, closing per process.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Collateral Damage posted:

Let me guess, it wasn't wiped either?

It probably was, we have it listed as retired. But somewhere between the wipe room and where it was supposed to go, it ended up on Craigslist. And, it turns out, so did the three HP 360s that disappeared when they had workers in on the weekend to unfuck our electrical system.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

mllaneza posted:

It probably was, we have it listed as retired. But somewhere between the wipe room and where it was supposed to go, it ended up on Craigslist. And, it turns out, so did the three HP 360s that disappeared when they had workers in on the weekend to unfuck our electrical system.

So someone's likely getting fired at the very least. Or sued.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Partycat posted:

Yeah but that's true of pretty much everywhere.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mllaneza posted:

A ticket came in....

Security bought a laptop off of Craigslist and wanted to if it was one of ours. It was, retired just a couple of weeks ago.

We have a strict process for retiring machines, from verifying that the data was wiped to it going on a truck for recycling or donating. Some serious questions are going to be asked.

So, does your security team regularly trawl craigslist for stuff that might belong to your company?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

spog posted:

So, does your security team regularly trawl craigslist for stuff that might belong to your company?

I imagine it may have been "We need a throwaway laptop and hey here's this one that's the same model as the one we already support."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kurieg posted:

I imagine it may have been "We need a throwaway laptop and hey here's this one that's the same model as the one we already support."

I'm going to guess that the Venn circles of 'has an internal security team' and 'buys IT equipment off Craigslist' doesn't have a very large intersection.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just started putting all that stuff in a field the customer can't see. I'm not going to take any poo poo for not having the resources, access, or documentation to do what I'm supposed to be doing, and I'm not going to leave all my steps and attempts out of my notes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I just started putting all that stuff in a field the customer can't see. I'm not going to take any poo poo for not having the resources, access, or documentation to do what I'm supposed to be doing, and I'm not going to leave all my steps and attempts out of my notes.

Everything is through JIRA so everything is "customer facing". I'd have to keep a second set of private notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I was told earlier that the perception, our owner has, is that I open too many request tickets. At this point I've been moved to a purely support role, has been for a bit now (gently caress, it sucks, :yotj: can't come soon enough), so I don't make changes*. So, I get an incident or problem ticket, and then once I've figured out the solution or most likely solution, I talk to our architect and see if he agrees, we usually chat for 5-10 minutes over a smoke each day to hammer through this kind of stuff quickly, and then I generate a request ticket and assign to either him or the owner of our company (depending on the work) for approval and to get it sent to the team that does the work.

Apparently, I shouldn't be making so many request tickets? I don't get it, seriously, if we would stop loving poo poo up constantly, start validating work prior to closing change tickets and uhh I guess stop getting requests from our clients? I could do less of this.

My manager said he thinks it's stupid and that what I'm doing is fine, but the owner's perception is that what I'm doing is wrong for :reasons:. Our workaround? Have our architect open the request instead and then... approve his own requests I guess? Why yes, this is an MSP, why do you ask? And no, specifics were not given regarding what/why/how this is a problem I'm causing nor was there a mention of how to remedy the situation in his eyes.

*edit* ugh this is not the poo poo pissing me off thread.

gently caress it, leaving it here and will add some content: Our biggest client is rolling out some massive payments changes, we handle 95% of their IT for this portion of the company, we don't directly handle network and that's about it, except that they explicitly did not want to pay us to manage 2 applications integral to this change instead they have a "Business Analyst" doing it (guy is like 25 and I'm pretty loving sure was fired from his last BA job...), the rollout is in full swing, there's a lot of manual stuff because the applications suck and these people are stupid, so every night this guy has a ton of work to do, and predictably fucks a bunch up that we catch 90% of and get fixed before business starts. Well, he also went on vacation over the weekend through this week and it's been exciting, the little fire that was smoldering completely blew up today when we had an influx of 70-80 locations that were totally hosed; all of a sudden it's OUR problem that this poo poo is hosed, and because if we lost the client we would be out of business, I got to work a lovely 12 hour day un-loving as much as possible. My "teammate" who is generally worthless and works maybe 1-2 hours a day actually had to do work today because I took charge of poo poo and made sure to harass him every 10-15 minutes to stay on task; something I generally avoid because I'm not his manager and if they want me to do that they can pay me $manager salary. I also got 2.5 hours of sleep, so that helped a lot.

gently caress, I'm just in a poo poo mood and I need to go down some golden monkey, thanks for reading angry word salad.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 18, 2018