Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

text is in korean

always remember korea was for about a decade the fastest growing pop of type 2 diabetics
Well yea. It's gimbap. Didn't the kimchee give it away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Gimbap is delicious. Throw some french fries and eggs with chorizo into a sushi roll and call it breakfast.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I would try and eat it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

here's a question--if you were gonna do an omelet-to-order bar one day a week for six hours, what kind of hourly pay would you think is appropriate for the person working it? let's say a tip jar can be factored in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trebuchet King posted:

here's a question--if you were gonna do an omelet-to-order bar one day a week for six hours, what kind of hourly pay would you think is appropriate for the person working it? let's say a tip jar can be factored in.

It really depends where you are, minumum wage plus 50 percent maybe?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Trebuchet King posted:

infinite money

omelette bars are the loving worst, people are the worst, and people ordering omelettes are worse than everything

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Trebuchet King posted:

20$/ Hr. Regardless of tips.

In reality its gonna be 8$/hr

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 13, 2018

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
^

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This question is meaningless without context of what you're charging and what normal cook pay is in your area.

So I'm gonna say three fifty.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I don’t get why people have to be so picky with omelets, I want it just the way it comes with spinach and mushrooms.

Now when people start adding toppings like it’s a pizza uhhh yeah that would be a pain in the rear end.

Also I’d pay the guy like $12 and let him get tips.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Liquid Communism posted:

This question is meaningless without context of what you're charging and what normal cook pay is in your area.

So I'm gonna say three fifty.

yeah, good point. I think the brunch buffet is already $25 and I’d have to check the pay numbers but would you say probably about the same as that or more?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

yeah, good point. I think the brunch buffet is already $25 and I’d have to check the pay numbers but would you say probably about the same as that or more?

Naelyan posted:

infinite money

omelette bars are the loving worst, people are the worst, and people ordering at an omelette bar are worse than everything

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
These kids cooking shows on Food Network are brutal AF.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never actually been to an omelette bar, is it like those asian restaurants where they cook the food in front of you, except an omelette and you order what you want inside it on the fly?

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Yes.

The place I go to has one on Sundays at their Sunday buffet ( it’s really drat good and only $14) ...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I can't imagine a more hellish experience for a cook.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

A hotel I worked at ages ago used to have a sushi + steakhouse restaurant as well as the usual breakfast/lunch with bar cafe. The sushi chef had been doing sushi for like 30 years and 9 of them in this one hotel restaurant and was raised working in his family sushi restaurant even.

They shut down that restaurant and he ended up working omelette station for the hotel breakfast as his full time job. No more managing, ordering, or anything. Just prep for and operation of a little 3 butane burner omelette station. Happiest dude I've ever seen behind one of those stations. He claimed they kept his salary the same.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

That's what I do, every day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Because we got cooks and young people here, I figured Y'all enjoy this article.
https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1029095080370397184
My good boy in IT eats mayo, my loving whore of a daughter doesn't

quote:

MY SON JAKE, who’s 25, eats mayo. He’s a practical young man who works in computers and adores macaroni salad. He’s a good son. I also have a daughter. She was a women’s and gender studies major in college. Naturally, she loathes mayonnaise. And she’s not alone. Ask the young people you know their opinion of mayo, and you’ll be shocked by the depths of their emotion. Oh, there’s the occasional outlier, like Jake. But for the most part, today’s youth would sooner get their news from an actual paper newspaper than ingest mayonnaise.

oh wait there's more.

quote:

GRANTED, THERE ARE other theories regarding mass generational mayonnaise rejection. Some experts say the dislike springs from the fact that mayo jiggles. You may have noticed youth’s similar circumvention of gelled salads. (My mom made a dynamite one with black cherry Jell-O, walnuts, olives, canned cherries and small balls of cream cheese.) Others posit that mayonnaise is reminiscent of bodily fluids and therefore, as Penn psychology professor Paul Rozin has suggested, too disgusting to ingest. Kendra Pierre-Louis got right down to it re mayo in Popular Science:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don't think I've ever ordered an omelet from a station like that, but why are they so bad? I like omelets and although they are definitely more work than scrambled eggs, they don't seem like that big of a deal to make. Is it the fact that it's repetitive an boring? That everyone has a different idea what the final product is supposed to look like? That you have to talk directly to customers, who are dicks? Are the customers stupid about having to wait their turn, or asking you to put 20 toppings or something? Genuinely curious, these are the first things I could think of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't think I've ever ordered an omelet from a station like that, but why are they so bad? I like omelets and although they are definitely more work than scrambled eggs, they don't seem like that big of a deal to make. Is it the fact that it's repetitive an boring? That everyone has a different idea what the final product is supposed to look like? That you have to talk directly to customers, who are dicks? Are the customers stupid about having to wait their turn, or asking you to put 20 toppings or something? Genuinely curious, these are the first things I could think of.

Just knowing the cooks I know there's a reason they aren't waiters and it's not the money, so yeah doing something repetitive while having to deal with dumbass customers who have no concept of what makes a good omelette (if there's more than 3 ingredients you better have a really good idea of what your doing).

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

crepe bar. it's like an omelette bar, but people stand in line for way too long fawning over you spreading loving batter OOOHHHH MY GOOOODDDD YOU JUST LIKE DO THAT SOOOOO NIIIIICE HOW DO YOU DO THAT CAN YOU COME COOK FOR ME HEHEHEHEHEEEE

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Because we got cooks and young people here, I figured Y'all enjoy this article.
https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1029095080370397184
My good boy in IT eats mayo, my loving whore of a daughter doesn't

oh wait there's more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If we didn't buy so much avocado toast we'd all have all of our own houses.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
My favorite is Millennials are killing Buffalo Wild Wings...

The gently caress you ever been to a Buffalo Wild Wings.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

A Man and his Hog posted:

They come in droves, bringing their screeching children and complaining about everything, be it that there aren't enough tablets for their kids to be constantly entertained, or that we don't have the right sports on at the time, or that "the Honey BBQ is WAY too spicy for them, can we please get them an entirely new order of 18 boneless wings, because this is literally inedible to their delicate, sensitive stomachs".

That last one happens at least twice a week. loving mayonnaise is apparently too spicy for half of our white-rear end locals.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Good.

Customer-facing cooking is only fun when you can demean, insult, and swear at the customers. My predecessor at my old burrito gig would occasionally throw food at people who came up to him and bothered him enough. I didn't want to waste the food, but I would regularly yell at people things like "Pick up your poo poo", "Remember your goddamn number", "I will eat your family", and "Your parents and I have something in common, we're all disappointed in you".

My boss put up a metal sign reading "Beware, Attack Chef". Came in handy when we had to throw a patron out for trying to smoke during the lunch rush and getting upset he was being yelled at for it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I got into an argument with a customer today. Well not so much an argument as a brawl. And no so much a customer but a homeless guy who snuck into the hotel and slept in the upstairs lobby all night.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich

pile of brown posted:

I got into an argument with a customer today. Well not so much an argument as a brawl. And no so much a customer but a homeless guy who snuck into the hotel and slept in the upstairs lobby all night.

Lol good for that guy.

Also, from the post above you, nothing wrong with being a complete rude rear end to customers who deserve it, I understand that.

But remember, we are in a business, and those customers pay the bills. So walk the fine line.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

Good.

Customer-facing cooking is only fun when you can demean, insult, and swear at the customers. My predecessor at my old burrito gig would occasionally throw food at people who came up to him and bothered him enough. I didn't want to waste the food, but I would regularly yell at people things like "Pick up your poo poo", "Remember your goddamn number", "I will eat your family", and "Your parents and I have something in common, we're all disappointed in you".

My boss put up a metal sign reading "Beware, Attack Chef". Came in handy when we had to throw a patron out for trying to smoke during the lunch rush and getting upset he was being yelled at for it.

pile of brown posted:

This is why servers get the tips.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Yo, MAKE NO BABBYS. We're here in SF, drinks tomorrow?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yo, MAKE NO BABBYS. We're here in SF, drinks tomorrow?

Sent ya a PM!

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
***Walks Into work**
OH gently caress YEAH WE GOT A NEW POS THAT NO ONE HAS TRAINED ON!

Shotgun Wedding! Here we go!

:suicide:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

***Walks Into work**
OH gently caress YEAH WE GOT A NEW POS THAT NO ONE HAS TRAINED ON!

Shotgun Wedding! Here we go!

:suicide:

Welcome back.

So you still have a job?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And one of our fryers died.

And likely won't be repaired until Monday, great

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Trebuchet King posted:

When I was in school I once had my car jumped by a tow truck driver who told me he used to be a cook himself, doing omelettes in Las Vegas. That always stuck with me.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Welcome back.

So you still have a job?

Yeah lol. I survived that one. I chalked it up to being 4th of July.

Like seriously, I can’t get fired from this job.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Like seriously, I can’t get fired from this job.

Not with that attitude.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
What a loving poo poo show tonight. Let’s go down the list:

1: Busy as gently caress all day

2: SIX. YES, SIX people called out. The dishwasher(gently caress). Phone person. Assistant Manager. Driver. And two people who requested off

3: Pizza side and Kitchen side not having communication so orders are just going all over.

4. A loving fist fight breaks out between two of the Pizza guys that spills into the parking lot.

Can’t wait for the owner tomorrow to be like uhh why did you comp a $100 ticket.

Anyways. WOOF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What a loving poo poo show tonight. Let’s go down the list:

1: Busy as gently caress all day

2: SIX. YES, SIX people called out. The dishwasher(gently caress). Phone person. Assistant Manager. Driver. And two people who requested off

3: Pizza side and Kitchen side not having communication so orders are just going all over.

4. A loving fist fight breaks out between two of the Pizza guys that spills into the parking lot.

Can’t wait for the owner tomorrow to be like uhh why did you comp a $100 ticket.

Anyways. WOOF!

The worst part of all of that is the missing dishwasher, by a far margin, isn't it?