Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Wait what? Kairi hasn’t connected with audiences? Shows no personality? Huh?

This alternate reality I live in sure is weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Friendly reminder that Takeover will be at 7PM EST tomorrow, and the pre-show starts at 6.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Auritech posted:

Wait what? Kairi hasn’t connected with audiences? Shows no personality? Huh?

This alternate reality I live in sure is weird!

You know it. I know it. She's a flop.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I wasn't sold on Kairi until she did that murderface to Shayna. They went a little too hard on the cutesy pirate princess stuff but now I'm ready for her to cave Shayna's chest in and take the title.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
If you didn't know already Kacy Catanzaro is tiny:

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1030536351559561216

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

I'm actually curious how this weekend will shape out. Most of the title matches are pretty unpredictable. I'd say the only one that is really a lock is The Undisputed Era retaining the tag titles. With Mustache Mountain being NXT UK wrestlers, and Triple H saying he wants to keep the champions and brands separate, I don't see them regaining the title. Also not really a fan of the titles being hot potato-ed back and forth.

I mean, do you pull the trigger and give Gargano the NXT title already? It would make Ciampa the worst NXT Champion of all time in terms of credibility. But if Gargano loses here, he really doesn't have an excuse for another shot at the title. I think the best way to go would be a draw, then put the feud on ice until Takeover: Phoenix or Takeover: New York (WM Weekend).

As for the North American title, Adam Cole hasn't done much with it. But at the same time, I think taking it off of him now is a bit premature. This is his first Takeover North American title defense. To be honest, I don't really see him losing the title until The Undisputed Era drop the tag titles. I would have Cole and TUE drop the titles during Wrestlemania weekend and then debut on the RAW or SD after Mania.

The NXT Women's Title is an interesting situation as well. If Shayna retains, then she will have officially cleared out/beaten every single babyface in the NXT Women's Division. And unlike Asuka, she's a full blown heel, so Shayna can't really go up against heels without the feuds being really...not good at best. She won't have anyone to face until after Evolution, assuming the winner of the MYC gets a title shot. It doesn't seem to help that NXT has spent more time building up female heels than babyfaces. It's one of the main reasons why I think Kairi is winning this weekend. It helps that Shayna is basically main roster ready at this point as well, and doesn't need the title anymore to remain relevant in NXT.

There are more feuds for her than there are for Shayna, and the main roster DESPERATELY needs a strong female heel right now on either brand. After Ronda deals with Alexa, there won't be anyone for her to feud with on the heel side who is even remotely credible/a threat to her, and Carmella is an utter failure as the top heel of Smackdown. Where if Kairi loses this weekend, I feel like she's getting called up and will be lost in a sea of babyfaces within two or three weeks of her debut, barring her making a MAJOR impact (ex: winning the women's title on her debut), which won't happen.

I'm voting for 'Johnny is about to loving end Ciampa, Candace comes out to stop him, he accidentally pushes/hits his wife for the 'oh no, what have I become?!?' moment, and Ciampa takes advantage and wins.' Leading to the Johnny redemption arc to take us to the Rumble/Wrestlemania Takeovers, whichever one they want to pull the trigger on.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rovert posted:

If you didn't know already Kacy Catanzaro is tiny:

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1030536351559561216

That emoji is smiling more than Lance ever has in his life.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah. Also (from the latest WON) WWE is looking at doing the 4HW vs 4HW match at either Evolution or Survivor Series this year, which means Shayna would have to drop the title fairly soon, because I doubt they want her working double duty at Evolution, or having a rough match at War Games, and then another tough match (where she'll be doing most of the carrying for the UFC 4HW) the following night.

Spoilering just in case, I still think this is going to be kind of a dud, because one side is four women we have watched for years and are extremely familiar with (and who, for the moment, are all faces), while the other is a newly-arrived main roster part-timer face, an NXT mega-heel, and two women that 90% of the viewing audience (myself included) will have never seen before and probably can't even name. Like at some point Jessamyn Duke and the other one whose name I can never remember are going to have to get on the mic in the build, or else it really does come across as "two stars and their friends."

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That emoji is smiling more than Lance ever has in his life.

what do you mean? he's smiling in the picture!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Yikes at tonight's house show results. Shayna beat Kairi, which shouldn't be shocking. However, the real shocking thing is that Shayna kicked out of the Elbow Drop apparently and then reversed the anchor into her own submission. If that happens tomorrow (Shayna kicking out of the Elbow Drop, at least), it'll likely kill Kairi's momentum dead. Not to mention it will put the Women's Division into a very bad spot from a booking perspective. Shayna has completely destroyed every single female babyface on NXT over the past 3 months. And NXT has done nothing to build up any sort of credibility for any babyface but Kairi.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
That and Deonna owns.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

There's no way Shayna stays in NXT till they put Deonna in the main event picture.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DarkstarIV posted:

Yikes at tonight's house show results. Shayna beat Kairi, which shouldn't be shocking. However, the real shocking thing is that Shayna kicked out of the Elbow Drop apparently and then reversed the anchor into her own submission. If that happens tomorrow (Shayna kicking out of the Elbow Drop, at least), it'll likely kill Kairi's momentum dead. Not to mention it will put the Women's Division into a very bad spot from a booking perspective. Shayna has completely destroyed every single female babyface on NXT over the past 3 months. And NXT has done nothing to build up any sort of credibility for any babyface but Kairi.

Pfft, she needed 3 to beat Aliyah.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
doesn't kairi have a new finisher (the anchor?) because elbow drops are notoriously rough on the body

reversing a submission is always fair game, even a deadly finisher one

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

abraham linksys posted:

doesn't kairi have a new finisher (the anchor?) because elbow drops are notoriously rough on the body

reversing a submission is always fair game, even a deadly finisher one

The Elbow Drop is still her primary finisher.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

DarkstarIV posted:

The Elbow Drop is still her primary finisher.

ah, ok. i could still see them transitioning her to using the anchor as her primary finisher, or just giving shayna the rub of the big kickout before losing.

kairi should just get a long run at the top if no one's ready for the chase, imo! just have her face random challengers and make em look good. nxt doesn't have enough fun title defenses on tv anymore. sometimes i feel like i'm the only person who remembers that apollo crews's best (by far) wwe match was a random tv title match against finn balor

have they announced the preshow matches taping for tomorrow? feel free to post in spoiler tags if they leaked or something, i'm otherwise trying to avoid the spoiler thread for now. praying i get to see keith lee in his big arena debut

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

Spoilering just in case, I still think this is going to be kind of a dud, because one side is four women we have watched for years and are extremely familiar with (and who, for the moment, are all faces), while the other is a newly-arrived main roster part-timer face, an NXT mega-heel, and two women that 90% of the viewing audience (myself included) will have never seen before and probably can't even name. Like at some point Jessamyn Duke and the other one whose name I can never remember are going to have to get on the mic in the build, or else it really does come across as "two stars and their friends."

On the ongoing maybe-spoiler: It's extra-baffling because the FOUR HORSEWOMEN OF MMA was barely even a real thing. It was a tag they used for social media posts and their own bullshit, but during that time the non-Rousey horsewomen went a combined 2-11 and no one outside of super-hardcore MMA fans knew who they were or gave a poo poo about them. Shayna Baszler is more notable now than her UFC tenure. Hell, Marina Shafir probably had more eyes on her from those few weeks of showing up in NXT promos with Roddy than her entire MMA career. It's not just striking when the iron is cold, it's beating the ground and swearing there's an anvil there.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

CarlCX posted:

On the ongoing maybe-spoiler: It's extra-baffling because the FOUR HORSEWOMEN OF MMA was barely even a real thing. It was a tag they used for social media posts and their own bullshit, but during that time the non-Rousey horsewomen went a combined 2-11 and no one outside of super-hardcore MMA fans knew who they were or gave a poo poo about them. Shayna Baszler is more notable now than her UFC tenure. Hell, Marina Shafir probably had more eyes on her from those few weeks of showing up in NXT promos with Roddy than her entire MMA career. It's not just striking when the iron is cold, it's beating the ground and swearing there's an anvil there.

So its peak WWE. They are really good at striking when the iron is cold.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I remember when Marina was ringside for that Roddy/Roode title match and they kept cutting to her reactions, and boy did she have the opposite of charisma

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

CarlCX posted:

well.. they were pretty important on the build up to Ronda vs Bethe Correia.

the only reason she got the Ronda fight was because she beat the other horsewomen and called Ronda out on it.

they were each highlighted on the hypevideos and mentioned multiple times on the broadcast it self..

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the exposure of a mediocre loser saying they hosed up 2/3 of your lovely jobber friends

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I'm working on writing up the Takeover: Brooklyn thread now.

Thread is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866284&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post487142667

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 18, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Isn't it common for house shows to rehearse everything BUT the actual finish? So that could be a key spot tonight, but like as a big 'get the crowd buzzing as the babyface fights to escape' spot before they go to whatever the real finish is?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

TheCool69 posted:

well.. they were pretty important on the build up to Ronda vs Bethe Correia.

the only reason she got the Ronda fight was because she beat the other horsewomen and called Ronda out on it.

they were each highlighted on the hypevideos and mentioned multiple times on the broadcast it self..

I mean, yeah, they were background characters in the hype video for the Bethe fight and then never won a fight nor were ever mentioned again. Bethe telling Ronda she hoped she didn't kill herself got more attention than the horsewomen did.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

CarlCX posted:

It's not just striking when the iron is cold, it's beating the ground and swearing there's an anvil there.
Well, the Anvil is in the ground.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CarlCX posted:

The NXT one wasn't much more than that either.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Aphrodite posted:

The NXT one wasn't much more than that either.

True, but the NXT ones all at least had similar levels of success and prominence, so they come across more as equals.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Wrestling is good :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yep, add that to the streak of good to great Takeovers that has been running since their very first one.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://twitter.com/therealec3/status/1030997955459919872

I wonder when he got the cut during his match.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Looks like an early 1990s Jae Lee drawing

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It was... some superkick toward the end. Not long before they did the final apron spot, I think. I thought one of the kicks looked rough then noticed him bleeding and the ref putting on his gloves as they set up the DVD apron stuff.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The Ohno vs Ricochet match will be some fun poo poo.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The Ohno vs Ricochet match will be some fun poo poo.

did they announce this?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Shayna is a big ol sore loser.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1031016706745884675

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

man what are they gonna do for takeover war games II

if it's another set of 3-man teams, i'd watch TUE vs british strong style vs war raiders + [???]

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

prob ricochet

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Possibly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnMYuuPpsBs

I am very mad that The Undisputed Era's theme wasn't playing during this confrontation though, and then slowly fading away as Kyle and Roddy walked off.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 19, 2018

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

good-rear end ec3 promo here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU6L8cf5GoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

"what are you guys??? best friends???? because we are"