Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

SpacePig posted:

No no, not a traitor. He was loyal to his state! Sure, be betrayed literally everything else to do it, but that one spark of loyalty is absolutely enough to justify treating him as an American hero.
If only someone much much smarter than him could have warned him what was going to happen.

Someone Much Much Smarter Than Him, 1860 posted:

You, you the people of the South, believe there can be such a thing as peaceable secession. You don't know what you are doing. I know there can be no such thing. ... If you will have it, the North must fight you for its own preservation. Yes, South Carolina has by this act precipitated war. ... This country will be drenched in blood. God only knows how it will end. Perhaps the liberties of the whole country, of every section and every man will be destroyed, and yet you know that within the Union no man's liberty or property in all the South is endangered. ... Oh, it is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization. ... You people speak so lightly of war. You don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing. I know you are a brave, fighting people, but for every day of actual fighting, there are months of marching, exposure and suffering. More men die in war from sickness than are killed in battle. At best war is a frightful loss of life and property, and worse still is the demoralization of the people. ...

"You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people, but an earnest people and will fight too, and they are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it.

"Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The Northern people not only greatly outnumber the whites at the South, but they are a mechanical people with manufactures of every kind, while you are only agriculturists--a sparse population covering a large extent of territory, and in all history no nation of mere agriculturists ever made successful war against a nation of mechanics. ...

"The North can make a steam-engine, locomotive or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical and determined people on earth--right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all els eyou are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with.

"At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, and shut out from the markets of Europe by blockade as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. ... if your people would but stop and think, they must see that in the end you will surely fail."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

canyoneer posted:

There was an old privilege rating scale that came from Reddit I think that had absurdities like being a blind atheist in the US is less privileged than being a gay Jewish person in Saudi Arabia.

Was that the one which assigned about a negative million points to being blind or illiterate, and a similarly high positive score for Jewish? Because I'm pretty sure that one was a joke.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SerialKilldeer posted:

Was that the one which assigned about a negative million points to being blind or illiterate, and a similarly high positive score for Jewish? Because I'm pretty sure that one was a joke.

-20 for social autism (freebie).

Yawgmoth posted:

Ah yes, the old "we do not all 100% choose one person for the rest of our lives regardless of changes in circumstances such as personality shifts and the other person not loving existing anymore ergo being poly is the Right And Natural Way™ of relationships" school of thought.

I'm a big fan of poly people trying to justify their life choices as some kind of biological imperative rather than individual decision because it is always 100% horseshit and really belies how inwardly ashamed they are of the fact that they, personally, cannot maintain a relationship. Because if they really were that secure in their lifestyle decisions, they'd properly own it as such.

I think you're probably caring a bit too much. If it makes everyone involved happier and they're doing it safely, why should I care what grown adults do with other grown adults?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SerialKilldeer posted:

There are a lot of these tests, and they are all dumb. One had a section for kinship where you could select Human or Dragonkin, Faekin, etc. Unfortunately that one didn't list the point values, so there's no way to tell if dragonkin are more or less privileged than regular humans. I assume much, much more privileged. Sure, some people may look at you funny or even mock you when you explain that in reality you are a dragon, but what the gently caress do you care what puny humans think if you're a motherfucking dragon!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Yawgmoth posted:

Ah yes, the old "we do not all 100% choose one person for the rest of our lives regardless of changes in circumstances such as personality shifts and the other person not loving existing anymore ergo being poly is the Right And Natural Way™ of relationships" school of thought.

I'm a big fan of poly people trying to justify their life choices as some kind of biological imperative rather than individual decision because it is always 100% horseshit and really belies how inwardly ashamed they are of the fact that they, personally, cannot maintain a relationship. Because if they really were that secure in their lifestyle decisions, they'd properly own it as such.

Just read the book, honey. It'll give you something to do while you work whatever stick you have in your rear end that prevents you from viewing human behavior outside the lens of "what validates all of Yawgmoth's life choices vs. what doesn't"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

there wolf posted:

Just read the book, honey. It'll give you something to do while you work whatever stick you have in your rear end that prevents you from viewing human behavior outside the lens of "what validates all of Yawgmoth's life choices vs. what doesn't"

It is very unlikely the book could accomplish that or that it evens wants too.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Yawgmoth posted:

Bingo! I'm poly and have been in a couple of polycules, the last time in 2012, and the number of times I had to defend it was 0. Turns out no one, in a general sense, cares what kind of relationships you have. Sure there were some friends that said they wouldn't do it because of religious or other objections, but I literally can't think of a person who cared enough that it affected our friendship.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1030548821732941830

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Poly relationships are fine, because either they work out, and the people within are happy, or they implode in a very public fashion and are good for a laugh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The tidbit of him living with a 16yo tips it over the believable line.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

No, BDSM people are plenty stupid for that.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
You’d think that someone who studied psychology in college would understand more than everyone the complete uselessness of online IQ tests. As opposed to the moderate uselessness of actual IQ tests.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Aug 17, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Picnic Princess posted:

The poly people I know include it in queer culture but don't see it as an orientation. It's part of queer culture because it's a type of consensual relationship frowned upon by society, and usually includes some form of homosexuality. But honestly why care who they sleep with. They can do what they want and if they're happy, great. If they're not, they're in the process of learning some life lessons. Getting worked up about other peoples' relationships is a waste of your own life.

I think it's usually because they aren't sleeping with me they're sleeping with everyone else why not me?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

TinTower posted:

-20 for social autism (freebie).

A Dubai billionaire: -700
A homeless man in Europe: -200

Checkmate, libs.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was 19 though? Am I going crazy right now?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FELD1 posted:

19 now, says lived with her for 3 years.

And yeah, definitely happens but it feels like that detail was definitely left to be found.

vvv Doh! since 16.

EL BROMANCE has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Aug 17, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EL BROMANCE posted:

19 now, says lived with her for 16 years.

Now that’s planning ahead.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

FELD1 posted:

He's been living with the one who's currently 19 for three years.

e:fb,etc

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Whoops, missed that bit somehow. IOSM is me.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Bingo! I'm poly and have been in a couple of polycules, the last time in 2012, and the number of times I had to defend it was 0. Turns out no one, in a general sense, cares what kind of relationships you have. Sure there were some friends that said they wouldn't do it because of religious or other objections, but I literally can't think of a person who cared enough that it affected our friendship.

Yeah, the most poo poo I've seen thrown at poly people is on SA, and that's because the only time poo poo about poly people ends up here is because it's a train wreck. A lot of poly people just have a hard-on for drama. I mean, I do feel like being poly is about the same to me as being bi or trans is, but that doesn't mean I'm oppressed somehow, or that anyone cares. Though I don't think it's just the oppression angle that makes them say that all the time. I've noticed a lot of the people who say that are the ones who get insanely jealous and have those "I can gently caress everyone but you can only gently caress other girls and only with me" type of rules. It's an excuse for being an rear end in a top hat.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Deleted for picking a dumb fight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

using the power of histories strongest brain (tiny boy 10kg division nor norht southe eastern polar conference) I have analysed that

ppl entering an open relationship from the start clearly communicating their thoughts and needs: double A plus

me getting horny for the coffee shop girl who smiled at me once so telling my gf this is an open relationship now and then a week later I'm stalking coffee shop girl on fb bcos she blocked me on insta waiting for my gf to get home and tell me about her date: actually this is great also and im feeling good

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you are a mod ffs dont dox me

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

EmmyOk posted:

using the power of histories strongest brain (tiny boy 10kg division nor norht southe eastern polar conference) I have analysed that

ppl entering an open relationship from the start clearly communicating their thoughts and needs: double A plus

me getting horny for the coffee shop girl who smiled at me once so telling my gf this is an open relationship now and then a week later I'm stalking coffee shop girl on fb bcos she blocked me on insta waiting for my gf to get home and tell me about her date: actually this is great also and im feeling good

:yeah:

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

I've never seen anyone unironically type like this until today.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

IoSM: OH FORGIVE ME SIR, GOOD DAY HOWS THE FAMILY

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Everything my dad types is all uppercase and it drives me insane. Thankfully he's not on social media so it's limited to song lyrics and recipes and poo poo.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
My mom hates facebook because it's superficial posturing and my dad cares so little he barely has an account. I count myself lucky to have parents that have both acceptable socio-policital stances and a proper approach to social media. If things continue in this vein I'll never have to deal with them spewing racial diatribes left right and center.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Publicly admitting to sexually grooming a minor: the hallmark of a highly intelligent man.

I hope someone sent the thread to the cops.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

More like IoSM: WTF DUZ THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANY FUKN THING

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

mods please

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That is really fuckin good

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Everything my dad types is all uppercase and it drives me insane. Thankfully he's not on social media so it's limited to song lyrics and recipes and poo poo.

I kind of love the mental image this gave me, like a dad looking dude just, typing a recipe, but in the most furious loving way anybody has ever typed a recipe.

3 CUPS FLOUR
2 CUPS WATER
gently caress YOU
1/4 CUP SUGAR

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1030296933104009217

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/legaladvice_txt/status/1030537566062358531?s=12

Unbelievable

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

:happened:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

vyelkin posted:

More like IoSM: WTF DUZ THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANY FUKN THING

also good IMO

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

I am worth at least 10 Muslims :smug:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I remember taking one of those privilege quizzes where they deduct points from your privilege score if you've ever been the only person of you race or ethnicity in the room. I have been in that situation, but I was a white person with authority over all the PoC in the room, soooo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I remember taking one of those privilege quizzes where they deduct points from your privilege score if you've ever been the only person of you race or ethnicity in the room. I have been in that situation, but I was a white person with authority over all the PoC in the room, soooo....

For that, I count all the times I've been alone in a room. (Technically correct is the best kind of correct!)