Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
So i've just finished installing an external regulator in my boat. The old internal one in the Hitachi alternator would range from 13-13.5 volts, and that again hosed with the voltage sensitive relay between the start and consumption bank. I dont have all the alternator know-how that many of you seem to have, but the regulator is a local product, and the guy who made it helped me out. There was a lot of stuff i wouldn't have figured out for myself, not least that the "charge" lamp bulb in my dashboard was too weak to energize the field magnets. Changing from a 1.7w to 5w bulb fixed the no charge issue I had initially. Now it charges beautifully.

Of course the boat god punished me for my hubris, and now the freshwater galley pump has developed an intermittent problem, and the septic tank drainage valve has broken closed. The septic tank is quite literally a biological time bomb in this hot summer weather, so really looking forward to that job in the near future. Boats; not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Humbug posted:

Of course the boat god punished me for my hubris, and now the freshwater galley pump has developed an intermittent problem, and the septic tank drainage valve has broken closed. The septic tank is quite literally a biological time bomb in this hot summer weather, so really looking forward to that job in the near future. Boats; not even once.

uuuuurgh, black tanks.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Beach Bum posted:

16's are perfect for solo work or lightweight duos. If I weren't a goddamn Sasquatch I'd be perfectly happy with my 14 Turbo, but I've been looking for the right 16 for years. Anything bigger is too much of a pain in the rear end to get to the beach and step the mast and right if you're by yourself.

Fake edit: I see the Getaway seems to be a fancier version of the 16, but I'm pretty "eh" about it.
Basically it adds a front tramp for more seating, and it’s plastic instead of fiberglass. I am soon to have five children, so space+indestructible offers some value, but H16’s are so goddam cheap.
E: 4500 for a little used 2010 H16 in great shape w/ trailer seems pretty reasonable. May grab that.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 7, 2018

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
drat, all this sail talk has me wanting to see if the sails on my dad's 16.5 aren't all chewed up by mice. Anyone know if the sail kits for the Hobie kayaks are any good?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Back from this year's boat vacation and let me just say this. Now that we're four people.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I took my kids tubing for the first time, which they said was “the most fun we have had in our lives.” So I guess I need a speed boat now too.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

gvibes posted:

I took my kids tubing for the first time, which they said was “the most fun we have had in our lives.” So I guess I need a speed boat now too.

As the youngest in my family, it was my solemn duty to be skipped across the surface of the lake as many times as they could manage when we went tubing growing up.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'm presuming everyone saw the J105 get owned by the powerboat but posting regardless.

https://www.facebook.com/mashleylov...O4Ju&__tn__=C-R

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Welp, I guess it's time for a new boat trailer...

New (to me) aluminum boat trailer acquired:

Hopefully this'll last one more trip to the boat ramp tomorrow:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Crunchy Black posted:

I'm presuming everyone saw the J105 get owned by the powerboat but posting regardless.

Powerboat dudes future insurance is gonna be ugly.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

How do you miss the giant sailboat with sails up??

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

TrueChaos posted:

Autopilot and beer, probably.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TrueChaos posted:

Power boater

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Or the sailboat decided to tack without looking. And no one uses their radios, hell, half of the boats out there don't turn them on. ...And powerboat. The powerboat is likely 90% at fault, but I guarantee the WAFI isn't totally in the clear. I've run commercial vessels and had sailboats turn directly across my bow with no warning, while we had "restricted in ability to maneuver" ball-diamond-ball day shapes up. And plenty of powerboat assholes too.

Be careful out there.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Just like driving, I feel like anyone else in a boat is a complete rear end in a top hat who is not paying attention. I remember having fishing and pleasure boats alike pull completely stupid poo poo while I was at the wheel of my dad's 100' steel salmon tender up in Alaska. Basic poo poo like not understanding you should pass Port to Port and having some rear end in a top hat in a 50' Bayliner(or something equally as ugly) try to force me onto the rocks while not responding on channel 16. Still not sure why my dad thought it was a good plan to have 15 year old me running the boat....

One of these days I will buy a boat, preferably something I can take up the inside passage. I won't be able to make my daughter spend her summers working on a commercial boat, but I feel like I at least need to give get the chance to experience Alaska like I did as a kid. At least my wife has come to terms with the fact I'm going to buy one. I know it will be a complete money pit, but I can't help myself.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Speaking of assholes, I bought a hobie 16 with a lovely trailer. The latch on the trailer popped at 70 mph. Thank goodness for the emergency chains. Wiring harness just got a little shredded and the mast lightly scraped the rear roof of my car. I guess I should have locked that down.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

TheFluff posted:

After sailing on other people's boats for years now, I think it's time to make an informed bad decision - I'm about to buy a boat. More specifically, this one:

I signed the purchase papers for this today. This is scary and I won't get to sail it again until this spring :negative:
I guess I'll have to post a bunch about various winter projects until then.

The gentleman who's owned her since new turns 85 years old next month but he sailed her until last year - he broke his leg this spring and that's what finally stopped him. Life goals. (Well, not the breaking a leg part)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 19, 2018

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

New (to me) aluminum boat trailer acquired:

Hopefully this'll last one more trip to the boat ramp tomorrow:

Side by side comparison.

On the new trailer.

Still need to adjust the bunks some more, right now it can slide side to side on them more than I'd like. Debating trying to do it while the boat's still on the trailer, or just wait until the next time I launch.

EDIT: For comparison, here's it on the old trailer:

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 19, 2018

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Popete posted:

Power boater

Quotin for truth, OP

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Crunchy Black posted:

Quotin for truth, OP

From one long time power boater.... I'm quoting the quote. :-) My god some powerboaters are really dumb.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

TheFluff posted:

I signed the purchase papers for this today. This is scary and I won't get to sail it again until this spring :negative:

The gentleman who's owned her since new turns 85 years old next month but he sailed her until last year - he broke his leg this spring and that's what finally stopped him. Life goals. (Well, not the breaking a leg part)

Congrats dude, she’s a beaut.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Welcome to the covenant of the damned.

Enjoy your boat. Enjoy working on it (this is the key). And of course, enjoy spending money.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
She's on land now.

Little bit dirty in the waterline, but almost no growth under the waterline. The anti-fouling paint isn't particularly nasty either (it's a hard copper-based paint), which is good because the local equivalent of the EPA is on a mission to make self-polishing paint completely illegal within the next few years, so that saves me having to take care of that. I guess the environment at the marina is just so hostile to life in general that nothing grows anyway though.

Did the usual maintenance on the engine - oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, and filled the seawater loop with antifreeze mix. Bleeding the fuel feed was easy enough and the engine started happily afterwards, which is very good. Runs really smooth, easy to start and there are no signs of worrying smoke or other nastiness, which makes me very happy since it's 40 years old. Didn't do valve adjustments this time but it's on the hit list.

Already got a long list of things we want to do, everything from extending the toilet door to installing a USB power outlet to adding various storage nets etc. Don't know where to start yet though.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Pretty sleek-looking boat you got there.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gvibes posted:

Pretty sleek-looking boat you got there.

That's the best thing about her :swoon:
Long, low and narrow, makes her look hella fast in a way modern flat-bottomed things don't, even thought they're actually much faster in reality. Also really nice to look at!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ugh I can taste that copper paint just looking at the pictures.

Boat I race on every spring before she goes in the water we clean the boat and sand down the copper paint layer before adding a new coat and it inevitably gets all over you even wearing a full painter suit.

Nice looking boat!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Popete posted:

Ugh I can taste that copper paint just looking at the pictures.

I uh hope you've been wearing a proper mask (though you wouldn't wind up tasting it) with filters etc, that poo poo is awful for you.

In other news we got the horn shorthanded in one of our races a week or two ago :toot:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah normally have full protection on and goggles, but it still finds it's way on to your skin. It's nasty poo poo, difficult to avoid dripping all over you when you're working underneath the boat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

Yeah normally have full protection on and goggles, but it still finds it's way on to your skin. It's nasty poo poo, difficult to avoid dripping all over you when you're working underneath the boat.

Tyvek.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

A thousand times this. VC17 is such incredibly awful stuff.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah we had those suits, I still got a few drops on my face one time though and it sucked.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah I did enough bottoms for cheap in my teens (~10 years ago) that I'm absolutely getting mesothelioma.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey thread, never really ventured here but thought some here might like this. Just finishing the last couple days on a Mediterranean cruise right now. A few days ago, departing Rome/Civitavecchia we had a little incident leaving port. We had 25kt winds and left with tug assistance pulling us to the starboard side (into the wind, away from the pier). As we got 150-200 yards or so away from the pier we started forward under power, at a good clip too. The tug removed the lines before we cleared the pier. Just then took some good 45kt+ gusts which pushed us back towards the pier, and we eventually stopped going towards the pier... that is, after the stern smacked into it right on the port side. Good collision, and some good grinding sounds along the side as we came to a stop. No real major damage, but definetly a bee-hive of activity the night it happened and the following morning before we set sail for Sicily (missed Naples entirely).

I'm sure there have been some colorful phone calls between the ships insurance company and the pilots insurance company. Curious if anyone know how fault would work when the ship has a harbor pilot on board?

My gut is it rests with the pilot even if the Captain is ultimately in control but I have no clue. Either way, doubt it will be a gold star next to the Captains name.

Anyhow, finally had an opportunity to take a pic from sea level as leaving the ship via tender in Kotor Montenegro today.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The pilot is not at all responsible, it’s 100% the captain’s fault.

I don’t recall Italian law, but in Canada the captain has a duty to relieve the pilot before he does something that would put the vessel in danger, and in any case the pilot is only liable up to $1,000.

Italy might be different, but as far as the company is concerned, again, 100% the captain’s fault.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's interesting, and thanks for the clarification. I am pretty naive when it comes to all nautical. Seems a little crappy for the crew if they trust the pilot and he makes the wrong decision.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’s why you shouldn’t ever trust the pilot.

I had to take over from a pilot in Chesapeake Bay once, as a third mate. Most stressful moment of my career.

But I kept the boat in the channel, and my job.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I am waiting to hear back from my bosses at work to see if they can spare me for a few weeks, but if they are ok with it (I think they will be), it looks like I'm flying to Honolulu this coming Friday to help some folks sail their 48' sailboat to California.

Should take us about 3 weeks.

Yep, I'm a crazy person for doing this.

EDIT: bosses said go for it

EDIT2: might not happen still, sounds like the couple is a bit worried that they won't be able to fully prep the boat in time. We'll see. Haven't bought my flight yet.

EDIT3: welp they discovered some new issues with the boat on their sail from Big Island to Oahu. We're not going to do it.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 3, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kenshin posted:

I am waiting to hear back from my bosses at work to see if they can spare me for a few weeks, but if they are ok with it (I think they will be), it looks like I'm flying to Honolulu this coming Friday to help some folks sail their 48' sailboat to California.

Should take us about 3 weeks.

Yep, I'm a crazy person for doing this.

EDIT: bosses said go for it

I dunno, sounds pretty awesome to me

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Actually drove my first race tonight on a friend's Santana 20 while he, admittedly, ran the rest of the boat by himself because he's been sailing it his whole life--it was his dad's. I've been sailing for about a decade and mostly doing foredeck. It was really fun but also only blowing 3-5 lol. I basically didn't have to play the mainsheet or traveler at all.

We got the horn, though, against a bunch of much lower rating boats. :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Well done dude. Looking at Santana 20's, they seem pretty similar to Shark 24's (which is what I race). Not surprised you didn't need to play the main in 3-5knt winds, that'd be one hell of a tender boat if you did.

Its nice when as the skipper you can just worry about driving the boat and not everything else that's going on. My girlfriend usually skippers, and I run the rest of the boat when we're double handed, when we have a fore deck they don't come back to the cockpit at all. We've got one distance race left on Monday, and that'll be it for our season.