Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

blarzgh posted:

I like people who weren't captured

When this happened I did a double take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I remember half joking during the primaries about wanting him to get elected because I wanted to see our country burn to the ground, while consuming itself and now I'm sorry.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

blargh your new avatar is Very Good

You'll always be Arod Dicksparkles to me

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hoshi posted:

When this happened I did a double take

Luckily Republicans have zero actual convictions or morals beyond sticking it to the libs so Trump was fine.

Again though, in a functional country, McCain would have had a press conference where he called Trump a loving cowardly dipshit and demand he produce medical evidence of his bone spurs. But then again, :decorum:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

I like people who weren't captured

It's insanely funny Trump dunked on McCain like that right away and every pundit reacted with "he can't say this he'll lose everyone"

I wish we could have had a zuckerberg vs Trump debate because their size differences plus the sheer amount of bullying Trump would do would have been amazing

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

I remember half joking during the primaries about wanting him to get elected because I wanted to see our country burn to the ground, while consuming itself and now I'm sorry.

I troll voted for Trump in the primary to help give the GOP what it deserved. My vote didn’t matter. I still feel bad about it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Again though, in a functional country, McCain would have had a press conference where he called Trump a loving cowardly dipshit and demand he produce medical evidence of his bone spurs. But then again, :decorum:

Pook Good Mook posted:

Incidentally 2004 was when I lost all faith in the Democratic party. John Kerry should have had a press conference where he went off about this poo poo and called the entire Bush cabinet a bunch of cowardly fucks. But :decorum:

What is it with you and press conferences??

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

What is it with you and press conferences??

I am now a prosecutor, any problem can be solved by talking to the press.

But seriously, press conferences are basically the only mechanism you can get the story to focus on what you want it to and you force the media to give you and your message coverage at the expense of your opponent and force your opponent to respond.

John Kerry couldn't have said that stuff in a debate because Bush would have hyucked his way around it by saying that that's his supporters, he totally respects John Kerry's service.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I am now a civil litigator after about 5 years in family law. Unbeknownst to me, no one goes to trial anymore (except family and criminal law).

Mostly these days I draft motions that have no chance of success or will never have hearings held on them.

I miss hearings and trials my friends.

AMA

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Update on in-house small claims. I did not know that lawyers aren’t allowed in California small claims court. We get to send an employee. I think pro se guy might get dunked on though, but we still expect he won’t 100% lose.

Sue people in small claims as a career.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Hey now, I have done two trials in the last nine months or so. Neither family nor criminal law.

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.
Straight out of law school I did trademark and IP litigation work (no patents) at a boutique firm for the past 6 years or so, with a few of the matters proceeding to trial and appeal. Having achieved a unicorn position, I promptly realized I was unhappy and left to travel for a while. I relocated and recently started doing some contract work with a midsize full-service firm that had a need for some hours on an IP Lit case, and I am now starting with them and planning to help build out the IP practice.

AMA.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

gvibes posted:

Hey now, I have done two trials in the last nine months or so. Neither family nor criminal law.

Ditto.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

My defendant pussed out on his speeding jury trial and now I only have bench trials next week.

Booooo

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Pook Good Mook posted:

I was going to write this.

Your friend's family may have no clue where he is, or may have given up on him. You might be "the guy" to advocate for him. Have you contacted his family?

I'm not a New York lawyer, but looking at the laws, it looks like the director or supervisor at a hospital or care home can file for involuntary commitment. So it looks like you can't file, but you might be able to reach out to social services and bring someone with you into Penn Station. His family could do it too if they know what's going on.

Also, people with schizophrenia are more likely to be victims of violence rather than commit violence when compared to the average person. Unless they’ve been violent in the past or are doing drugs / alcohol. So if he recognizes you and trusts you, you can just talk to him and see if he would be willing to go with you to a hospital. If not, he might appreciate a sandwich or something. Bellevue is the obvious choice since it’s the largest (and oldest) acute psychiatric hospital in the country.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

gvibes posted:

I've got a public defender gig next week and a multiday custody and visitation week after. I guess I'm opposite guy.

Thankfully I'm still a bit buzzed by tonight's visit at a Michelin guide restaurant. Vacation is a good thing. Wine also helps.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My schizophrenic friend showed up this morning at my MMA gym where he and I used to train together. He was completely out of touch with reality and had cornered one of the girls who work there. He had to be asked to leave but he kept coming back for an hour. Apparently he's been coming in regularly. I tried to reason with him about seeking help but he is completely out of touch with reality. He recognizes me but when I tried to steer him to help he kept talking about getting his power levels up above 2800 and then claiming he was going to challenging our best fighter and slam him. And how he deserved his purple belt. We tried to work with him for an hour but staff finally had to call the police. They didn't arrest him but they did speak to him after he left. I'm going to have to come in early every morning now to help open to make sure none of the girls who open early get cornered alone in the building. He was my friend but my first priority is everyone's safety.

Please note that we didn't get physical with him at all although we're one of the top MMA gyms in the world and the guys helping me talk to him are all pro fighters. He's a former friend and needs help but he can't come in totally irrational and corner women by themselves. He is a good size guy with a degree of training too (for those who know BJJ, he left when he had been a blue belt for a while and has some striking too). He doesn't seem generally violent but if he loses it, he's going to be a problem for most untrained people. Yesterday at Penn Station, he was blocking an escalator and getting furious at anyone who tried to get on by going around him.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 17, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Look Sir Droids posted:

Update on in-house small claims. I did not know that lawyers aren’t allowed in California small claims court. We get to send an employee. I think pro se guy might get dunked on though, but we still expect he won’t 100% lose.

Sue people in small claims as a career.

I sued the woman who hit me with her car in small claims court in California. AMA.
Weirdest loving process I've ever been through. I basically had to force the judge to let me argue the law (we agreed on the facts). Worked I guess.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Are pain and suffering damages allowed in CA small claims?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
We have one JP judge who hates lawyers so much he will:
- unabashedly rule against someone who is represented without regard to the facts
- refuses to give lawyers settings for anything (lawyer requests hearing on discovery motion? 'we'll send you a notice, it will be about 6 months' - so we send the client in to the clerks to ask later that day, they give her one in 3 weeks)
- refuses to grant continuances, agreed or otherwise, if an attorney files it
- refuses to allow law firms to get copies of the documents on file unless "the lawyer in charge requests them" (went to desk to get copy of pleading filed by Pro Se that he never served on us, and clerk says, "only the attorney in charge can get copies." I was like, "Its a public record, anyone can get copies." "No, Judge says only the attorney in charge, are you '[Female, but sometimes also male name]?' of Blarzgh's firm." I fuckin lied and said, "yes." and got the loving thing.
- refuses to sign default judgments after the deadline without having a hearing (which he refuses to set) despite the fact that the rules specifically say JPs "must sign the default judgment, without a hearing."

Cus whatta ya gonna do? Mandamus a fuckin JP?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Look Sir Droids posted:

They are, but the judge didn't give me any like a jerk. I did get 100% on property and medical though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Usually I just wait for them in the courthouse parking area to get that.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yuns buddy are you maybe the schizophrenic?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

After finally asking what they're going to pay me, the class action firm came back with $20/hour plus some nebulous merit based bonuses. They said pay would go up once I'm licensed in a few weeks, but did not specify. I asked for clarification on these points.

Since it's literally the only real legal job offer I've received, I think I might be forced to take it at least for a short period of time.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That’s $2 less than what I made when I was a non-licensed clerk before passing the bar. Glad to see comp is keeping up with inflation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In 2013 when I was setting up for vocational rehab for the first time I had to look up job openings and potential salaries. I'm pretty sure I just used state jobs when compiling the list. The pay was identical or better than the pay I'm seeing today.

I thought for sure when I sold my truck and passed the bar I'd be able to find something that would pay me worth a drat and I could fall back on government work otherwise. As it is, I think I'm going to apply for a few more private sector jobs and then hail mary with some federal work before just calling it quits on the whole idea of being a lawyer.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

How are they counting your hours? Time you’re in the office or billable?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bro, we are Jewish. Problem?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Look Sir Droids posted:

How are they counting your hours? Time you’re in the office or billable?

I'm working from home so my hours right now are whatever I tell them. AFAIK it's actual clock hours not billable (only supposed to be 20 hours a week at max right now) and they only have a little bit of stuff for me to work on right now anyways. I just found out about the hourly pay so I don't have a whole lot of details.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Mr Nice,I worked a job like that once and it was 100% useless as a legal job. They only handed out work when they had a project they didn't want to which meant after a month I was at zero hours.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I made less than that my first year

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm working from home so my hours right now are whatever I tell them. AFAIK it's actual clock hours not billable (only supposed to be 20 hours a week at max right now) and they only have a little bit of stuff for me to work on right now anyways. I just found out about the hourly pay so I don't have a whole lot of details.

I thought you had a state analyst job lined up? I’d take that instead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Look Sir Droids posted:

I thought you had a state analyst job lined up? I’d take that instead.

I do. They're doing background check/reference checks right now and will offer me the spot officially in a couple of months once all of that is done.

mastershakeman posted:

Mr Nice,I worked a job like that once and it was 100% useless as a legal job. They only handed out work when they had a project they didn't want to which meant after a month I was at zero hours.

It does seem like it's just something my career office sent me so they can list I'm in a JD required job.

CaptainScraps posted:

I made less than that my first year

How much did you make when you were 34, though?

e: I should clarify, I don't think I should be making biglaw dollars, but ambulance chasing doesn't seem like it's going to turn into anything in 3-5 years that's paying over 100k either. I don't need to be rich, but I would like to be comfortable.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I think I would find being rich very comfortable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nice piece of fish posted:

I think I would find being rich very comfortable.

I mean, yeah, it would be nice, but it's not in the cards for me. The american dream is dead (and never really existed) and I'm just a poor kid from rural nowhere. I'm never going to be wealthy, but I'd at least like money to vacation once in a while or travel.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, yeah, it would be nice, but it's not in the cards for me. The american dream is dead (and never really existed) and I'm just a poor kid from rural nowhere. I'm never going to be wealthy, but I'd at least like money to vacation once in a while or travel.

Once I'm a successful business venture capitalist partner with a multinational nazi gold company based in Schweiz I'll hire you to be my overseas taco consultant in law and pay you ludicrous money.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Serious talk for a bit, why not do doc review until the non law job hires you? Put your stuff in storage, find the tiniest bedroom with the most roommates possible and get some money.

Also it's often affordable to just rent a hotel for the week doing doc review, I knew out of towners who would do that. Especially if there was uncapped hours and theyd just pull 80 hour weeks. I'm guessing Florida market is 25+ an hour? And you can find some that work for JDs that haven't passed the bar. A lot better than making 200/week for this firm

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mastershakeman posted:

Serious talk for a bit, why not do doc review until the non law job hires you? Put your stuff in storage, find the tiniest bedroom with the most roommates possible and get some money.

Also it's often affordable to just rent a hotel for the week doing doc review, I knew out of towners who would do that. Especially if there was uncapped hours and theyd just pull 80 hour weeks. I'm guessing Florida market is 25+ an hour? And you can find some that work for JDs that haven't passed the bar. A lot better than making 200/week for this firm

There aren't any a whole lot of doc review places here in town. The firm that had the public facing wordpress portal was basically doc review and they hired someone younger and less gimpy. Nearest doc review I've seen would require I move to Jacksonville ($23/hr - requires bar admission). I'm not opposed to moving, but I'm not moving somewhere for a temp job. I'd probably take some hourly doc review if I could find it locally.

As far as living situations go, I'm set. I have a 2 bed/1 bath house on a 1/4 acre lot in a less than decent part of town. I pay $660 a month in rent, and I get enough from VA compensation alone to pay for rent/utilities/food. So I'm not hurting. I'd just like to get an actual job. I'd even take a garbage paying job if it was something I could feel good about, but I can't even seem to get an offer at those places.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 18, 2018

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

How much did you make when you were 34, though?

e: I should clarify, I don't think I should be making biglaw dollars, but ambulance chasing doesn't seem like it's going to turn into anything in 3-5 years that's paying over 100k either. I don't need to be rich, but I would like to be comfortable.

Check with me in two years.

You can definitely make 100k after 5 years as a solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CaptainScraps posted:

Check with me in two years.

You can definitely make 100k after 5 years as a solo.

I've interviewed with a number of attorneys and managers that are younger than me, too. :corsair:

I'd have to move somewhere else to make it as a solo.