Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hack the Planet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajGX7odA87k&hd=1

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

abigserve posted:

nah I reckon they've gotten way worse, CISCO used to be quite well regarded as developing stable hardware/software unless you were on the absolute bleeding edge and even then it was ok

compared with today they might as well be a different company

Cisco got complacent and wandered down the path of licensing as a business rather than innovating

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Everyone should watch this, James Mickens is an absolute treasure.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

does anyone have that post about the add on developer getting pissed at blizzard for closing memory loopholes or whatever that was a while back ?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/18/sentinelone_bsides_copyright_takedown/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was googlin' something earlier and one of the results did that thing where it bounces you to a phishing/virus/whatever website since the site's been compromised or w/e, and the website is adorable

e: that's just one of the four "popups" it created on the page, all on top of each other and styled differently. looking in the code it can launch like 8 more different ones based on your browser. idk it's pretty mundane stuff but weirdly charming :allears:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Cisco got complacent and wandered down the path of licensing as a business rather than innovating

i'm not excusing them, but innovating is the problem - they've fallen as hard as the rest of the industry for the idea that all that matters is getting poo poo out the door as fast as possible. they're still better than much of the competition but a lot of that is because a fair chunk of the competition is huawei.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i hate cisco but we had to deal with a partner running a paloalto for vpn and their loving firewall kept forwarding us poo poo that doesn't belong in the tunnel and wasn't even supposed to route our way even if it was! oh, and the poo poo they forwarded to us? all have the wrong security associations. paloalto doesn't give a gently caress.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

abigserve posted:

Remember back in the day when you could run a 6500 for a decade and not have a single problemm with it?

i certainly didn't live through this decade

6500 was constant upgrade churn and picking your poison among differently-buggy release trains

the main difference vs today was that in addition to vile and terrible software updates cisco also subjected us to repeated hardware upgrades that cost a fortune and broke as many things as they fixed

abigserve posted:

Remember the phrase "noone ever got fired for buying CISCO?" what happeeeened

you still won't get fired for buying trash

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
are there any details on the apple hack?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i hate cisco but we had to deal with a partner running a paloalto for vpn and their loving firewall kept forwarding us poo poo that doesn't belong in the tunnel and wasn't even supposed to route our way even if it was! oh, and the poo poo they forwarded to us? all have the wrong security associations. paloalto doesn't give a gently caress.

Come on now, surely that's just people who are bad at configuring their gear.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

James Baud posted:

Come on now, surely that's just people who are bad at configuring their gear.

nope. i even convinced them to send me their configuration and everything is as it should be. the tunnel is technically working but last i checked the constant stream of dropped packets due to wrong security associations is still happening. thankfully we only use the tunnel for low traffic tcp connections.

besides, no amount of bad configuration should be able to send unsecured traffic over the tunnel.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

are there any details on the apple hack?

... i'll tell you what i know if you tell me what you know

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Phone posted:

... i'll tell you what i know if you tell me what you know

its a teen from australia with hacky hack hack folder

now its your turn

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i heard it was kim dotcom

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

nope. i even convinced them to send me their configuration and everything is as it should be. the tunnel is technically working but last i checked the constant stream of dropped packets due to wrong security associations is still happening. thankfully we only use the tunnel for low traffic tcp connections.

besides, no amount of bad configuration should be able to send unsecured traffic over the tunnel.

was this with a VSAT provider and for an MPLS tail? we had a similar thing with a rubbish provider who were forwarding traffic to us from their OTHER CUSTOMERS. the traffic was being dropped by our firewall but still it was pretty funny. good thing we were running an IPsec tunnel over their MPLS i guess.

traditional telecoms companies are rubbish at actual networking

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cheese-cube posted:

telecoms companies are rubbish

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was reading the wikipedia article on "protection racket" and it says this:

quote:

A protection racket is a scheme whereby a group provides protection to businesses or other groups through violence outside the sanction of the law—in other words, a racket that sells security, traditionally physical security but now also computer security.

there's no citation for that and it's not anywhere else in the body, but it sounds great and i hope someone's done some reporting on the cybermafia :allears:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im cyberRICO

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

im cyberRICO

cyberRICO's cyberROUGHNECKS

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

what a nice cyberstore you have, it would sure be a cybershame if something were to cyberhappen to it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

i was reading the wikipedia article on "protection racket" and it says this:

there's no citation for that and it's not anywhere else in the body, but it sounds great and i hope someone's done some reporting on the cybermafia :allears:

ddos ransoms have been a thing for quite a while now

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Usually a protection racket implies the extortionists are able to protect you. With ddos I'm not so sure they can. So it's just plain old extortion.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

spankmeister posted:

Usually a protection racket implies the extortionists are able to protect you. With ddos I'm not so sure they can. So it's just plain old extortion.

Does it? I admit that my understanding of this comes from racist Bugs Bunny cartoons, but I thought the whole thing about the protection racket is the implied threat of violence from the person offering protection in the case that you don't pay. Maybe they provide some amount of protection from other gangs, but only by being known as the gang who runs that neighborhood. I don't think they're posting guards at your location.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ErIog posted:

Does it? I admit that my understanding of this comes from racist Bugs Bunny cartoons, but I thought the whole thing about the protection racket is the implied threat of violence from the person offering protection in the case that you don't pay. Maybe they provide some amount of protection from other gangs, but only by being known as the gang who runs that neighborhood. I don't think they're posting guards at your location.

Yeah that's pretty much it. But the local ne'er-do-wells know you're under their protection so they won't try to rip you off because the mob will punish them

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

regarding cisco opinion depends entirely on context. if you only work...
  • with 6500s and 4500 ISRs running stable firmware in a mature environment: you'll think that cisco stuff is robust and secure
  • with 3560/2960s and 800/1900 ISRs running random firmware but in a SMB environment: you'll think that cisco is good enough, at least it doesn't break and the customer doesn't have the budget for security outside of an edge firewall so w/e
  • with CSS in any environment: you should probably be dead already
  • with WLC and aironet APs in a normal SMB or enterprise environment: you'll think that cisco stuff is robust, relatively easy to configure and secure enough
  • with WLC and aironet APs in weird esoteric setups (e.g. APs connected to WLC over >1s latency VSAT): you'll wonder why cisco stuff is so drat hard to configure properly
  • with ASAs anywhere: you'll think that cisco stuff is relatively secure but wonder why it needs to be updated constantly to prevent it from exploding
  • with physical CUCM appliances: you'll think that cisco stuff works..i guess
  • with virtual CUCM appliances: you'll wonder why cisco products are so flakey and fail at the slightest provocation
  • with ACS: you'll think that cisco stuff shouldn't be working at all, how does it even work to begin with?
  • with CSM: you'll :rip:
  • with newer nexus stuff: you'll wonder whether this is the future we really wanted
my big dumb anecdotal effort post aside, i think that cisco is losing the plot outside of their core products (catalyst, ISRs, ASAs, etc.) however due to increased scrutiny in general bugs are being found in their older stable software so at the end of the day their entire product line up looks bad.

disclosure: i bought a cisco 2960CX and 897VA ISR brand-new for my home network because i'm a dingus

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

usually a protection racket implies the threat and protection are emanating from the same, or cooperating parties.

aka sneaky Russians vs cloudflare.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

in a ddos protection racket you'd be paying upstream providers so that they'll blackhole the ddos traffic instead of forwarding it onto you. i guess said providers would be in cahoots with the ddos outfit(s).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

no, they're protecting you from them. that's what all the jokes about "nice <x> you have here, shame if something happened to it" come from.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

no, they're protecting you from them. that's what all the jokes about "nice <x> you have here, shame if something happened to it" come from.

Yeah, but as posted above that "protection" kept others from muscling in on their turf and demanding the same "protection". You can't milk a dead cow.

This is, amusingly, not so far off from malware authors patching holes after using them, or the best example of the "Microsoft phone call" people actually fixing up the computer (albeit at extortionate prices) after being given remote access. So, the metaphor still fits.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

nice thread you've got here, it'd be a shame if something happened to it. say someone careless went and shitposted in it, that'd be a real shame

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Y'all been watching too much mafia movies. Yeah the main threat is the extortionists themselves but they do also protect you from other criminals. Which is something ddos extortionists simply can't do.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Y'all been watching too much mafia movies. Yeah the main threat is the extortionists themselves but they do also protect you from other criminals. Which is something ddos extortionists simply can't do.
yeah its the entire point of organised crime

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

interesting collection of domains abusing this cert validation bug:

https://twitter.com/BenLaurie/status/1030927783491452929

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

any thread vpn recommendations for public wifi networks and such, other than "roll your own"?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No, seriously, roll your own.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There are virtual network services out there. Private, eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh

If you're concerned about surveillance, roll your own. However, Tom the perv trying to pcap other people at Local Coffee Shoppe may be stopped even by something as bad as nordvpn or pia.

Try finding one that lets you generate unique device keys

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 19, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Using a commercial VPN is better than using unsecured wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Potato Salad posted:

No, seriously, roll your own.

What's the recommended software these days for roll your own ?

• Locked thread