Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently HHH said at the post show press conference (which I guess isn’t in kayfabe?) that Johnny actually did hurt himself and the finish was changed on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

abraham linksys posted:

did they announce this?

No that's just an assumption on my part since they've had Ohno squash some people recently. I figured they were setting him up for whoever won this match.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

At what point in the match did Johnny hurt himself? Man, this Sane/Baszler match was something. Crowd was alive for it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

"1% isn't a financial bracket it's a mindset" :laffo: whatever you say dude

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Apparently a few people at the show said that Kevin Owens and Mark Henry were completely into the Shayna/Kairi match. Like full on freaking out at some points.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So just starting up Takeover, this opening tag is straight up amazing but is just me or did Undisputed Era get to kick out of all of Moustache Mountain's finishes and MM didn't kick out of any of Undisputed Eras.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Great show. Had high expectations, they were surpassed. Especially the women's match.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Le Saboteur posted:

So just starting up Takeover, this opening tag is straight up amazing but is just me or did Undisputed Era get to kick out of all of Moustache Mountain's finishes and MM didn't kick out of any of Undisputed Eras.

KoR has an incredibly high power level

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently HHH said at the post show press conference (which I guess isn’t in kayfabe?) that Johnny actually did hurt himself and the finish was changed on the fly.

There's no loving way they changed the finish on the fly that quickly. It was too well coreographed unless HHH literally used those words.

That show was awesome but the main event left a sour taste in my mouth probably more than any Takeover in history.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ciampa vs Gargano had a really good finish, but the fatigue of yet another Ciampa vs Gargano deathmatch is definitely setting in. Shame about Aleister's injury, I would have liked that main event a lot more.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna say it, that finish was some main roster poo poo.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it will be hard for people to be massively into gargano if he's not taking a couple months off because of how much of an idiot he was made into. It was funny

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
Good event.

The womens match started a bit slow but the finish was great. The tag match was excellent. Ricochet/Cole was predictably awesome. EC3 is about as solid a pair of hands as you can get and Dream keeps getting better. I skipped the Johnny/Ciampa match again because i'm bored of them at this stage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just caught up with Takeover. The tag match was ace, I'm happy Dream got a win and CALL ME UP VINCE was amazing, dat fukkin superkick :stare:, Kairi's win was so emotional and it totally got me and the finish to Gargano/Ciampa ruled.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

The "problem" with the Gargano/Ciampa finish is that "Johnny's anger costs him the win" it's the only one that makes sense at this point of the story, and it's also way easier to pull off in a triple threat than a last man standing. Having Johnny win would mean rewarding him for letting Ciampa into his mind and abandoning his values, a Ciampa clean win would end the feud, and a draw would be functionally equivalent but without Ciampa bragging about how he beat Johnny while handcuffed twice. If Black wasn't injured, you could have achieved the same story beat with Johnny not pinning him because he wants to beat Ciampa, and that costing him the match.
On that train of thought, I feel like the culmination of the feud should be a singles match with no gimmicks, have Johnny Wrestling live up to his name and show himself to be superior to Ciampa in the purest, most direct way.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LupusAter posted:

The "problem" with the Gargano/Ciampa finish is that "Johnny's anger costs him the win" it's the only one that makes sense at this point of the story, and it's also way easier to pull off in a triple threat than a last man standing.

Also they just did it last Takeover so it's really repetitive and makes your top face look like poo poo (which is why I'm saying it was main roster-esque).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Not really a fan of the Gargano/Ciampa feud turning into the Gargano idiot hour these last two takeovers. They really need to just end the feud.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also they just did it last Takeover so it's really repetitive and makes your top face look like poo poo (which is why I'm saying it was main roster-esque).

Making Johnny look like poo poo is the entire point of the exercise, though. He's losing the moral battle, embracing his darker side just as Ciampa did, and it can only bring harm to him. Now that he's "injured his knee" there's an excuse to keep him away for a while, let Ciampa get a couple title defenses (I want to see him against Adam Cole, see how it's like when Cole is the defacto face), then Johnny Wrestling comes back, gains number one contendership, and puts an end to all this by making Ciampa tap out in the center of the ring, no bells and whistles needed.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That story is fine but when you do the same end-result lesson twice in a row it makes the babyface look too stupid. it won't really carry forward more than a few months either way though so that's ok

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They did about as well as they could given Black’s balls situation

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Basic Chunnel posted:

They did about as well as they could given Black’s balls situation

Here's your loving alternative- have Regal think Gargano did the attack, cancel the championship match, have Chiampa defend vs. someone else, gloat, continue the mystery attack story, delay Gargano-Chiampa 3.

Just doing the 3rd match straight away wasn't the best they could do, it was the laziest they could do.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Johnny/Ciampa 4 Mania weekend to decide who gets the callup to 205 Live

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That show was awesome but the main event left a sour taste in my mouth probably more than any Takeover in history.

Seriously. This should have been the ending to the Chicago match. Well, it practically was the ending to the Chicago match.

Gargano looked like an idiot. Ciampa beat Gargano, while in handcuffs, for the second time in a row. How does this help Gargano's Character?

I am also in the boat of wanting to see these people do different things with their limited time in NXT and 5 Takeovers a year. Okay, so apparently Gargano might be out for a while. That means we get a Ciampa title match against someone else at the Survivor Series Takeover, and then Gargano returns in 5 months for the Rumble Takeover? I'm sorry, it's a good feud, btu we don't need 80% of the Takeovers within a year have this feud.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I agree. I completely loved the PPV, right up until that ending. I mean, this is the kind of poo poo that if it happened on the Main Roster people would be making GBS threads all over it, but because it's Takeover, it gets a pass from some people. SA seems pretty mixed on it.

I don't know, imagine seeing that ending and then having Road Dog defend it on Twitter saying "The heel needs to get a cheap win so the face can chase them!" or some poo poo.

Usually NXT is good about finally pulling the trigger on that chase, while the main roster just keeps extending it until you don't want to see either person win. It's like you expect the heel to win, but the face has had so many attempts that having their epic moment is not satisfying. They've reached the latter for me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’m at the tipping point for Ciampa-Gargano. That was real good last night but if they do it again anytime before Mania, I’ll probably have an “ughhh” reaction.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Wazzu posted:

Here's your loving alternative- have Regal think Gargano did the attack, cancel the championship match, have Chiampa defend vs. someone else, gloat, continue the mystery attack story, delay Gargano-Chiampa 3.

Just doing the 3rd match straight away wasn't the best they could do, it was the laziest they could do.
Nah

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Wazzu posted:

But that's lazy too.

"I have no evidence but I THINK YOU DID IT!" Okay you just turned Regal heel for no reason and pulled Johnny for no real reason. It's hackneyed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's a lovely position to be put in to advertise Ciampa/Gargano/Black, and then pull Black for injury and Gargano for "reasons".

With Riccochet and Cole being in their NA Champion Feud, and then Dream/EC3 in their match earlier, and Sullivan being out (injured still?)... it's hard to find someone that would just randomly be awarded a title shot in that match to still make it a Triple Threat. Dunn also had a match at the NXT Taping before Takeover

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It was a very good move putting that Finn Balor My Son Is A WWE Superstar doc on after that Takeover, because everyone at my place was very deflated and that helped us all feel a lot better.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

[michael-scott-thank-you-gif]

Screw Johnny having this "arc", dude. Johnny already had an arc where he lost constantly and it lead all the way up to Wrestlemania weekend where he finally got his catharsis by, and this is a huge point, not giving into his anger. He tried to embrace and forgive Ciampa, Ciampa rejected it and Gargano won. And then a week later, Ciampa jumps him again and now he's spent the last five months going backwards from that point.

gently caress these finishes where Johnny loses because of a bunch of geeks in suits or because he slips on a banana peel and blows out his knee. It's not building anticipation for a win, it's just making your most likable babyface look like a complete jackass. And they sacrificed Aleister Black's title reign for this. I can't fuckin' believe it.

fart blood posted:

But that's lazy too.

"I have no evidence but I THINK YOU DID IT!" Okay you just turned Regal heel for no reason and pulled Johnny for no real reason. It's hackneyed.

Wrestling is fake. You can have Regal find evidence that Johnny did it.

Either way, whatever the triple threat was gonna be, they got themselves into this situation by oversaturating the gently caress out of the DIY feud and sacrificing everything else in NXT to it and this is where it got them. Black's injury just accelerated it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s true that Gargano/Ciampa is jumping the shark but el em aye oh if you think it’s main roster poo poo.

On the main roster, all four of their matches would be four weeks of Raw matches with no heat aside from Kurt Angle tweeting about it, then blowing it off with a heatless fifth match at Great Balls of Fire.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Let's be fair, "main roster poo poo" is Jinder beating Shinsuke loving Nakamura on back-to-back PPVs via Singh distraction->Lousy finisher. Even if they're spinning their wheels with Gargano, at least the matches are rad.

But yeah time to move on.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

Johnny/Ciampa 4 Mania weekend to decide who gets the callup to 205 Live

Omega-Okada at MSG vs. Johnny-Ciampa at Barclays

BATTLE FOR THE STARS

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

D.N. Nation posted:

Let's be fair, "main roster poo poo" is Jinder beating Shinsuke loving Nakamura on back-to-back PPVs via Singh distraction->Lousy finisher. Even if they're spinning their wheels with Gargano, at least the matches are rad.

But yeah time to move on.

And then Gargano and Candice have a mixed tag with Ciampa and Lana on the preshow, where Gargano and Candice aren't on the same page and they lose!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
No, that finish is straight out of the main roster or fuckin' 2006 TNA. Even if the match up to that point was good, if the finish sucked it sours the whole thing.

And this match wasn't even close to as good as the first. It had some cool spots but it also had a whole lot of loving sitting around doing nothing because LMS is a crap stip and the only people I've seen make something out of it in the last few years are Asuka and Nikki Cross.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Until the finish, I liked this one more than the first one.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I really liked the finish but I think gargano is a dork so :shrug:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VJeff posted:

No, that finish is straight out of the main roster or fuckin' 2006 TNA. Even if the match up to that point was good, if the finish sucked it sours the whole thing.

And this match wasn't even close to as good as the first. It had some cool spots but it also had a whole lot of loving sitting around doing nothing because LMS is a crap stip and the only people I've seen make something out of it in the last few years are Asuka and Nikki Cross.

Well I'd tell you to just quit watching WWE and switch to NJPW like I did but whenever I say to stop watching I get scolded soooooo...I don't know what to tell ya! Watch it and hate it, or don't watch it and be happier. It ain't gonna change so :shrug:

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I liked the finish much more than the finish to their last match. I believe they did have to improvise a finish, but not to the degree they are saying. To me, the table that Gargano landed on after the knee was supposed to break. When it didnt, Gargano knew he had to come up with something to sell why he couldnt stand up. He had hit Ciampa with a knee, so he sold that.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

LupusAter posted:

On that train of thought, I feel like the culmination of the feud should be a singles match with no gimmicks, have Johnny Wrestling live up to his name and show himself to be superior to Ciampa in the purest, most direct way.

I had the same thought. The last match should just be a singles match, but with a "title can change on DQ/countout" stipulation.

You don't even have to give Johnny the clarity to demand this up front. Have Johnny get a match somehow and instantly start clamoring for Hell in a Cell to Regal, and Regal reacts like "Hell no. Every time I give you these street fight stipulations you two maniacs try to seriously kill each other. You're going to wrestle, and if you try to pull that violent poo poo, you're going to lose by disqualification." And then over the build, you can build to Johnny realizing that Regal did him a massive favor and that this is what he should have been focusing on all along and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fart blood posted:

Well I'd tell you to just quit watching WWE and switch to NJPW like I did but whenever I say to stop watching I get scolded soooooo...I don't know what to tell ya! Watch it and hate it, or don't watch it and be happier. It ain't gonna change so :shrug:

I did.

I tuned into Takeover because Takeovers are usually extremely good. And that one was, but the main event can kiss my rear end.