Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Thanks, everyone. Yeah I think having a beater to wrench on would be my ideal just because I know I'll screw things up. I'll get one down the road. For now, these are some great Youtube channels that are exactly what I was hoping for and fit my Youtube likes of "Dudes explaining stuff." :)

Hilariously this thread is exactly what I'd do. Buy something obscure but neat with no idea what I'm doing.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Oh god - I need to replace my golfs throttle valve. Youtube makes it look fairly simple though. Anyone know how much of a good idea it is to get an OEM replacement? Would it be better to buy genuine/more expensive?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've been feeling some weird stuff in the steering of my 2013 Kia Optima with 95k miles on it. Like a hitch or bump when turning the wheel. Today I noticed if I'm parked and turn the steering wheel in either direction I get a consistent bump or hiccup. Like I'm driving over a small animal.

The symptoms are straight forward enough that I'd think I could diagnose it online, but no. For some reason I can't find anyone else having the same problem. I will be taking it to a mechanic, but I'm just trying to figure out if I'm looking at brakes, steering column, or suspension. Or comedy option all three both consecutive and concurrently.

Update:

My mechanic said it was a coupling issue in the steering column and then proceeded to print out a bunch of documentation from KIA explaining how this was covered by under a 10 year/unlimited mileage recall from the dealership. The coupling fails in humid environments, so the recall only seems to apply to certain states for which one is mine.

But the dealership says they performed a preventive replacement for this 16 months ago while the car was in for service. The bulletin seems to imply they'll only replace the part once. So now I get to argue with the dealership about their replacement of a defective part that worked fine with a new and improved part that failed. Yay.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Update:

But the dealership says they performed a preventive replacement for this 16 months ago while the car was in for service. The bulletin seems to imply they'll only replace the part once. So now I get to argue with the dealership about their replacement of a defective part that worked fine with a new and improved part that failed. Yay.

At the very least, they'll be able to furnish the documentation for this work from a year & a half ago. Even if they actually did it - a failure within 16-months is not a proper repair (or another defective part) and they have to re-do it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What's the best tire pressure gauge I can buy for under $10?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I still use a pen style one I've had for the last 10 years, I'm sure it's lost some accuracy with age but they're dead reliable. I think any digital one you want to buy under $10 is going to be low quality and of dubious accuracy. Here's a link to a pen style one with good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-921...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Oh god - I need to replace my golfs throttle valve. Youtube makes it look fairly simple though. Anyone know how much of a good idea it is to get an OEM replacement? Would it be better to buy genuine/more expensive?

I mean if the price is close the OEM will likely last longer but as long as you get a good replacement brand it should be fine. What year is your golf?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Pretty sure I tried to buff out these out before, do I need to sand down a bit with 1500 grit?

I've also got these on all the windows of another vehicle. What do I do for glass?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Alcohol and a razor

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spankmeister posted:

Alcohol and a razor

In a hot bath?

Seems a bit of an overreaction.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spog posted:

In a hot bath?

Seems a bit of an overreaction.

No just my Sunday morning routine

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Chunjee posted:

Pretty sure I tried to buff out these out before, do I need to sand down a bit with 1500 grit?

I've also got these on all the windows of another vehicle. What do I do for glass?

What is it? Water spots? If so #0000 steel wool for the windows (try on a spot that isn't in view) and a water spot remover (haven't tried any so can't recommend one unfortunately). If that doesn't work try buffing again with a different compound/polish. If that doesn't work, maybe sanding.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrOnBicycle posted:

What is it? Water spots? If so #0000 steel wool for the windows (try on a spot that isn't in view) and a water spot remover (haven't tried any so can't recommend one unfortunately). If that doesn't work try buffing again with a different compound/polish. If that doesn't work, maybe sanding.

Paging Kakermix. His detailing jobs are amazing

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Thanks I'll try that before going straight to sanding.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

How did Oldsmobile get away with calling this bloated piece of garbage, the "Silhouette"?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dennis McClaren posted:

How did Oldsmobile get away with calling this bloated piece of garbage, the "Silhouette"?

Its amazing how GM somehow moved BACKWARDS in styling.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Chunjee posted:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah, 0000 steel wool, lots of time and some water, doesn't matter if it's hard or not. Clean the window first (to get off any actual loose dirt or sand), then spray it down with water and start rubbing. Keep it wet but not soaked. You'll feel how it catches, as you rub you'll feel the resistance change. You might have to go over it a few times and it might eat away a few hours. This is my result using just water and 0000 wool on an 85 Toyota:

In my case this was the only thing that would work. Started with a razor and that took for loving ever and was uneven. Alcohol didn't do poo poo, neither did various mixes of vinegar and water.

The Door Frame posted:

Paging Kakermix. His detailing jobs are amazing
:c00l:

Just finished up cleaning the interior of an 89 Pajero that had one owner that smoked the whole time.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 20, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was thinking of getting some cameras for the front and back of my car. A cursory search seems to suggest that they are much cheaper then I imagined, you stick them up with a suction cup and you also need to charge them and/or replace batteries. I guess I got a bit caught off guard from how I imagined this would go - paying someone to hardwire and affix some-what pricey cameras.

Anyone have recommendations and reviews?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Goodpancakes posted:

I was thinking of getting some cameras for the front and back of my car. A cursory search seems to suggest that they are much cheaper then I imagined, you stick them up with a suction cup and you also need to charge them and/or replace batteries. I guess I got a bit caught off guard from how I imagined this would go - paying someone to hardwire and affix some-what pricey cameras.

Anyone have recommendations and reviews?

Dashcam Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

It's both a "talk about dashcams" and "post dashcam videos" thread.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dennis McClaren posted:

Silhouette? It has one.

Still better than their circa 2005 attempt to pass off the exact same ugly rear end minivan across all their car badges.

A Saturn versus a Buick. It looks like they swapped out one plastic bumper cover and a grill.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Autoexec.bat posted:

I mean if the price is close the OEM will likely last longer but as long as you get a good replacement brand it should be fine. What year is your golf?

2005. Ended up booking the garage/dealership to do it as it sound like it would be more complicated than I thought. Thanks anyway

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Silhouette? It has one.

Still better than their circa 2005 attempt to pass off the exact same ugly rear end minivan across all their car badges.

A Saturn versus a Buick. It looks like they swapped out one plastic bumper cover and a grill.

Badge engineering is hardly a new concept, or one limited to that one model.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That one was notable because there is literally nothing but dead air under the hood from the bottom of the headlights up.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I need help identifying this part. It’s on the passenger side of the engine, a 454 V8 on a 1985 Chevy C20 truck. I took this picture on my back under the truck. There’s no leak but I want to replace that split hose before there’s a problem. I’ve looked through my chilton guide and the factory service manual, but I still don’t know what this golden part with the two hoses is.

https://m.imgur.com/a/VIGd46r

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Badge engineering is hardly a new concept, or one limited to that one model.

They usually at least try to make them look unique across brands. For instance a Buick Enclave is the same vehicle as a Chevy Traverse, but they look markedly different. They didn’t even try with that minivan.

It’s no accident that GM sold few of those and declared bankruptcy within 3 years.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I need help identifying this part. It’s on the passenger side of the engine, a 454 V8 on a 1985 Chevy C20 truck. I took this picture on my back under the truck. There’s no leak but I want to replace that split hose before there’s a problem. I’ve looked through my chilton guide and the factory service manual, but I still don’t know what this golden part with the two hoses is.

https://m.imgur.com/a/VIGd46r

That's the fuel pump.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Dagen H posted:

That's the fuel pump.

Thanks, that's exactly right.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Anyone have any ideas where I can get flexplate bolts for either an 89 VW Golf or 98 Cabrio? None of my local stores carry them and they are torque to yield. I'm not even getting results on VW specific sites.

WAIL
Jan 31, 2007

I Dunno
I've got an vibration that I'm having a hell of a time diagnosing. The car is a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec.

It feels like a balance problem. The steering wheel starts to shake at 65 mph and smooths out again at 80. The tires are in good shape, the wheels are straight, and I can rule out the balance because I work in a tire shop and balance the wheels perfectly (they never call for much weight either). I've also had another shop double check it with a road force balance. My next suspicion was that a brake rotor might have gone out of balance, so I replaced pads and rotors last weekend. The old ones were rusty as hell and it wouldn't have surprised me if they flaked off enough material to become unbalanced. After the rotor replacement the vibration went away for a few days, but it's come back again.

After the shaking returned I tried re-bedding the brakes, and that helps for a while, but it always comes back. My gut feeling says one of the calipers is slightly dragging, but the wheels spin easily when in the air and the brake pistons compressed easily when doing the brakes.

I'm stumped on this. Maybe one of ya'll can point me in the right direction. What other things should I be checking?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Shop is trying to charge my bro ~£1,000 to replace his ~2007 VW Golf 1.8TDI's throttle valve (includes cost of the valve itself). This sounds completely unreasonable to me - I've struggled to find throttle valves online but the ones I have seen are about £200, so unless this is like an 8 hour replacement job then I don't know how they could be charging that much overall? What do you guys think.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 21, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

WAIL posted:

I've got an vibration that I'm having a hell of a time diagnosing. The car is a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec.

It feels like a balance problem. The steering wheel starts to shake at 65 mph and smooths out again at 80. The tires are in good shape, the wheels are straight, and I can rule out the balance because I work in a tire shop and balance the wheels perfectly (they never call for much weight either). I've also had another shop double check it with a road force balance. My next suspicion was that a brake rotor might have gone out of balance, so I replaced pads and rotors last weekend. The old ones were rusty as hell and it wouldn't have surprised me if they flaked off enough material to become unbalanced. After the rotor replacement the vibration went away for a few days, but it's come back again.

After the shaking returned I tried re-bedding the brakes, and that helps for a while, but it always comes back. My gut feeling says one of the calipers is slightly dragging, but the wheels spin easily when in the air and the brake pistons compressed easily when doing the brakes.

I'm stumped on this. Maybe one of ya'll can point me in the right direction. What other things should I be checking?
I've only had this problem on old BMWs so I'm answering based on that knowledge
On original wheels? Most common cause is cars designed to be hub centric and aftermarket wheels don't mount perfectly centre without hub rings (in my mazdas and ford I could shove any rim on and it would centre perfectly even without rings, but for bmw this was a no go. It just is what it is for some cars). Other thing common in BMWs is worn control arms or tie rods can cause a vibration at a certain speed (again, in other cars it's just a knock, not some crazy vibration).
Sorry I can't answer anything general or genesis specific, but you've checked common causes, time to check if hyundai got cute and ripped off a bmw design that has some weird behaviors.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 21, 2018

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring, 2.5 4cyl gasoline, about 55k miles on the clock.

For the last 2-3 weeks it's been hesitating when I start it, but only in the morning. It'll make like 1 revolution, pause for like a quarter or half second, then continue on and start, if a little slowly. It's been getting progressively worse in that it only hesitated a little bit when I first noticed the issue, and now it's longer.

Last oil change was at the dealer because I had a recall, brakes, alignment, etc. to take care of. No notable leaks, and I expect the engine would have toasted itself by now if they didn't fill it.

So is this a dying battery problem? I thought a decent battery would get you at minimum 5 years, but this is the factory battery...never owned a new car so I dunno if they put in something decent or whatever cheap crap they can get their hands on.

Possibly related but the AFS (swiveling headlights) light will stay on when this happens. That was actually the first thing I noticed, before it started really hesitating. Once the car is running I can re-enable AFS and it doesn't complain. Then throughout the rest of the day there are no issues, just when it sits overnight. edit: I'm guessing if this is a battery issue, the AFS is crying because the starter is taking what little power is available, so AFS doesn't have enough juice to run its power-on checks.

OK the more I write down the more I'm starting to think this is the battery...thoughts?

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 21, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Check all neg grounds and the battery terminals for corrosion/secure fitment, otherwise if they're OK generally if the battery is over 3 yrs old, it's always the first suspect. I would always start there and then look at any current drains that caused the battery to die. It's only if the battery was under 3yrs old I would start thinking it's something else in the first place.
Maybe you can get the battery tested, or buy a hydrometer? E: though if it's maintenance free then it may be really sealed. I'm pissed off my last battery was truly sealed for life and I can't do poo poo with it. I'm going to make sure I always get an open old style battery in the future if possible, or at least a maintenance free one with a cap that can somehow get popped off. Maintenance free sealed ones don't last much beyond 3-5 years if they have ever run low.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 21, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

El Grillo posted:

Shop is trying to charge my bro ~£1,000 to replace his throttle valve (includes cost of the valve itself). This sounds completely unreasonable to me - I've struggled to find throttle valves online but the ones I have seen are about £200, so unless this is like an 8 hour replacement job then I don't know how they could be charging that much overall? What do you guys think.

Is it a Rolls, a Ferrari, a Ford or what?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Fo3 posted:

Check all neg grounds and the battery terminals for corrosion/secure fitment, otherwise if they're OK generally if the battery is over 3 yrs old, it's always the first suspect. I would always start there and then look at any current drains that caused the battery to die. It's only if the battery was under 3yrs old I would start thinking it's something else in the first place.
Maybe you can get the battery tested, or buy a hydrometer? E: though if it's maintenance free then it may be really sealed. I'm pissed off my last battery was truly sealed for life and I can't do poo poo with it. I'm going to make sure I always get an open old style battery in the future if possible, or at least a maintenance free one with a cap that can somehow get popped off. Maintenance free sealed ones don't last much beyond 3-5 years if they have ever run low.

Looking around the internet for battery recommendations, sounds like many a 2014 Mazda 6 battery has fallen before mine, so I'm starting to think it's simply the battery is at the end of its life. I'll definitely check the main terminals for corrosion, since I don't think I've so much as looked at the battery since I bought the car, but that would probably just be a secondary issue.

Didn't realize this, but supposedly warmer climates are harsher on batteries than colder climates...growing up in the north, I always thought the high demand of constant sub-zero engine starts was a huge battery killer, but apparently routine high temps where I'm at in the south now is more damaging to the battery.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

2006 Durango SLT 4.7l v8

I purchased transmission and transfer case fluids to have my fluids changed. I bought the recommended Mopar ATF+4 that's supposed to be used in my truck.
But later I remembered, my truck had a brand new transmission put in 30k miles ago.
All I know about the new transmission is that it's a "Jasper" transmission, and when it was replaced. I don't know anymore about it.

Should the ATF+4 transmission fluid be okay to use in my new transmission, even though it's not the stock trans the ATF+4 is recommended for?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dennis McClaren posted:

2006 Durango SLT 4.7l v8

I purchased transmission and transfer case fluids to have my fluids changed. I bought the recommended Mopar ATF+4 that's supposed to be used in my truck.
But later I remembered, my truck had a brand new transmission put in 30k miles ago.
All I know about the new transmission is that it's a "Jasper" transmission, and when it was replaced. I don't know anymore about it.

Should the ATF+4 transmission fluid be okay to use in my new transmission, even though it's not the stock trans the ATF+4 is recommended for?

You have the same transmission, Jasper just rebuilds them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Shop is trying to charge my bro ~£1,000 to replace his ~2007 VW Golf 1.8TDI's throttle valve (includes cost of the valve itself). This sounds completely unreasonable to me - I've struggled to find throttle valves online but the ones I have seen are about £200, so unless this is like an 8 hour replacement job then I don't know how they could be charging that much overall? What do you guys think.

Is this a shop or a dealership? This would probably be par for a dealership, but not an independent shop.

They're a bit fiddly with plastic covers and crap and some hoses and stuff but it should be doable in an hour or so.

It also needs a relearn with a VW scantool or VCDS.

Remember that parts pricing on the internet is far lower than dealer or independent shop prices. That 200 pound will be 500 at a dealership easily.

In any case it should be doable for far less. It's very easy to do yourself except for the relearn part, you need a scantool for that.

I use a cloned VAG COM cable I got from China and an old version of VCDS. As long as it's current for your car it's fine.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

opengl128 posted:

You have the same transmission, Jasper just rebuilds them.

Awesome thanks. Is there a general scheduled interval for when trans fluid should be replaced? I.E. "Every xxx miles"
Now that I think about it, they must have already flushed/changed it 30k miles ago when they rebuilt the trans...

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 21, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DaveSauce posted:

Didn't realize this, but supposedly warmer climates are harsher on batteries than colder climates...growing up in the north, I always thought the high demand of constant sub-zero engine starts was a huge battery killer, but apparently routine high temps where I'm at in the south now is more damaging to the battery.

Heat absolutely kills batteries, I don't think I've ever seen a battery last longer than 2-3 years in Florida, trunk/cabin mounted weirdos notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

spog posted:

Is it a Rolls, a Ferrari, a Ford or what?

It's gotta be a red car. They always overcharge on red cars. Blue cars are cheaper.