Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Star Wars, the trailer for the new cartoon is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know that sketch show chat was a couple of pages ago but I just remembered one of my favorite, totally unknown, sketch shows.

Tally Hall's Internet Show.

A quick bit of background. Tally Hall was an indie band who, being twentysomethings in the late 00's, made web videos to promote their music. One video, Banana Man, you may have watched back in the day on AlbinoBlackSheep.

When they were signed to Warner Bros and were preparing to release their debut album (well, rerelease it, actually, but that's another story), they convinced the label that the best way to promote the album would be to create an internet-only sketch comedy show. The label, for some reason, agreed, and Tally Hall's Internet Show was born. Each episode has a variety of sketches, ranging from odd animated sequences to Monty Python influenced silliness to reoccurring updates on the life of a man wearing a gorilla suit, with one of their music videos thrown in to the episode somewhere. It's got a very Adult Swim feel to it.

Here's the first episode on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/59623332

The rest of the episodes can be found here.

Some of the best sketches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ITzlMFL4Oo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnqP76RWLMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqoDaQmkq4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_cTTgkNdVY

Oh and if one of the guys in Tally Hall looks familiar, that's probably because he released a moderately successful viral video a couple years ago.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 19, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's usually "critics hate it, fans love it" but does it often go the other way?

I think the more common one would be critics love it but no one watches it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

RIP Terriers.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

Reminder: critics are individual people

Reminder: critics don’t just say “ITS GOOD/BAD” but actually write detailed reasoning for why they feel the way they do, which you can read instead of just making assumptions and pithy comments like “they just decided to not like it based on the trailer!”

I read several of the reviews and all the ones I read are crying about "fat shaming." There is no fat shaming, and the only way to even get to that conclusion is if you only watched the awful trailer and made assumptions

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had two irl friends who watched the entire show say the same fat-shaming stuff they did so :shrug:

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Popelmon posted:

Man Trial & Error is so loving underrated. I'm glad that Detroiters is finally getting the attention it deserves on Twitter. Now move on to T&E! This show is way too good to just fade away into obscurity.

"Usually we leave no stone unturned, but this time, we will leave no turn unstoned!"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I read several of the reviews and all the ones I read are crying about "fat shaming." There is no fat shaming, and the only way to even get to that conclusion is if you only watched the awful trailer and made assumptions

If Breaking Bad came out today it would be cancelled after one season because of a flurry of condemnation for it glorifying murder and being problematic AF with its unironic white savior narrative.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Regy Rusty posted:

Hap and Leonard, gone too soon :sigh:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve had two irl friends who watched the entire show say the same fat-shaming stuff they did so :shrug:

Are your friends paid to critically assess media? I don't care if the average layman watches shows badly. Lord knows the average Goon does, judging by most TV IV threads

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My point was more I trust my friends and the reviews I read over a dude who seems like he’s about three posts away from complaining about SJWs or some poo poo (and precision the despicable Tin Star liker)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

My point was more I trust my friends and the reviews I read over a dude who seems like he’s about three posts away from complaining about SJWs or some poo poo (and precision the despicable Tin Star liker)

Yeah this is definitely a show for alt-righters, you really got me pegged.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Patty is the person who does the most 'fat shaming', while most anyone around her tells her it doesn't matter if you're beautiful on the outside if you're ugly on the inside. The whole thing makes fun of the obsession with being beautiful or otherwise perfect in some way, and is about how broken people are still broken no matter how they look or their social status/etc.

e: that said it's cool to not like satire or how this show handles satire, but I do get the vibe a lot of people took the show at face value when it's very unsubtle about ripping on all the things people says it glorifies

esperterra fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 19, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One thing I see a lot is people saying the whole “skinny is magical!” thing is probably meant to be satirical, but that it’s handled poorly enough that it comes off as having the exact opposite effect.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

it boggles the mind that someone can seriously write that the sentence "skinny is magical" is PROBABLY satirical

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Every time Patty thinks 'skinny/etc is magic!' she ends up digging herself deeper holes rather than succeeding in anything so idk how that line could be taken v seriously tbh.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One of the key themes is how getting thin didn't fix any of her actual problems.

Also one of the best characters in the show is an overweight pageant participant who is pretty comfortable in her own skin and portrayed in a very positive light.

If anything, I am surprised with how far they went to make Patty look hideous on the inside. They really went much further than I'd expect, and her storyline has more in common with Breaking Bad than The OC or whatever. She really goes completely off the rails, becomes possibly a WORSE person when she is thin, and is fully cognizant of it through most of the back half.

I honestly am not bothered by people not liking it. It's definitely not for everyone (though a lot of non-critics seem to love it) and it starts one place, ends another place completely different from where it started, and went all over the place in-between. The part I find annoying is how many of the critics slamming it are claiming it's "fat shaming" when it just doesn't

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 19, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, that's my only real issue with the reviews as well. This kind of humour isn't for everyone, but the show itself is very progressive and lampoons the stuff people say it's glorifying.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I also want to point out that I thought the Bob/Bob/CoraLee stuff was actually surprisingly sweet in a way, until it fell apart.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They handled that so well, agreed. Though I wish they had kept Bob A straight yet still fabulous. But they played it well by having him not even realize he could be bisexual til Bob B. kissed him, rather than playing him as a closet case.

I also loved the way they handled Nonnie's storyline.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like it's kind of a spoiler to say this but yea Patty is absolutely a monster and the show is not shy about telling you so

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I watched too many cop shows in the past year and a half, Brooklyn 99 was the one where a tablet on a segway was rolling around threatening people, right.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think that was a Community episode

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bobs Burgers did that once

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I must be thinking of Community. I think.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, the season 6 episode where the prisoners attend Greendale remotely

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Why you should watch Killjoys

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lurdiak posted:

I watched too many cop shows in the past year and a half, Brooklyn 99 was the one where a tablet on a segway was rolling around threatening people, right.

I can also shamefully advise that Big Bang Theory did this too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

How I Met Your Mother did it, too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Other people have already pointed out the show you’re probably remembering but Jake remoting in with an iPad on a Segway while bedridden would be comedy gold.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
You know it would be Amy, not Jake.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bentacos posted:

Ooh yeah that’s better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Timby posted:

How I Met Your Mother did it, too.

I saw it on Good Wife. I think CBS had some deal with the company and forced it on every show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol::lol::lol:

Someone please do a compilation video.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so yeah Wellington Paranormal is a fantastic successor to both What We Do in the Shadows and the X-files "X-Cops" episode

Netflix really needs to pick it up for US distro

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bentacos posted:

Jake did spend a weekend with his boss while both were insanely sick solving a crime, I could see it.

Dude just loves being a detective.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Perhaps it could perk up my poor tuckered dong" is the perfect Matt Berry line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anybody ever watch the Hollow Crown? It's a series from BBC of Shakespeare's historical plays. I watched the original series when it came out like six years ago which covered Richard II, Henry IV Part 1 and Part 2, and Henry V. Just found out today the did a second series two years ago which covers Henry VI Part 1 and Part 2 and Richard III. I bought both seasons on iTunes and I'm starting at the beginning again and man I forgot how good this was.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

precision posted:

so yeah Wellington Paranormal is a fantastic successor to both What We Do in the Shadows and the X-files "X-Cops" episode

Netflix really needs to pick it up for US distro

It is really good, yes it is pretty much a master class in New Zealand deadpan humour mixed with a pretty on target parody of cop shows and some kind of horror comedy mishmash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Get Shorty is great and I didn't expect it to be watchable at all.