Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I like the idea that rusty and malcolm are twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

tarlibone posted:

Dean pronounces the word "robot" like Dr. Zoidberg does.

That's a New York way of pronouncing it. I've heard it a few times up here and I laugh every time. It reminds me of Zoidberg.

It really hope that it just a Freddy Mercury themed villain and not actually him. He should be much bigger than slumming it with the minor guild people, especially in 86.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what is stab girl a reference to

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I like the idea that rusty and malcolm are twins.

Wouldn't JJ make them triplets?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Evil/good switch is 100% canon.... it's just too funny not to be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

luxury handset posted:

what is stab girl a reference to

Probably Harley Quinn or something.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cojawfee posted:

Probably Harley Quinn or something.
NO.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mantis42 posted:

you're right, so that doesn't really work very well.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tank Girl is one heck of a stretch considering Suicide Squad Variant Joker was sitting next to her.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Considering the niche references this show can go through I wouldn’t be surprised it’s Tank Girl. Quinn didn’t exist in the 80s and these guys are a stickler for using relevant references from that era.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sash! posted:

Tank Girl is one heck of a stretch considering Suicide Squad Variant Joker was sitting next to her.

That's probably The Comedian from Watchmen. They are all 80s references.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Sash! posted:

That's a fun thing to say, but did you see Suicide Squad and notice how joker didn't look anything like that guy?

My guess is Stab Girl is a composite of Tank Girl and Wendy O Williams.

"Williams first attempted suicide in 1993 by hammering a knife into her chest where it lodged in her sternum." Though she later shot herself.

My first thought was nancy spungen who died by stabbing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah the little smile badge on his shoulder is hella a watchmen reference.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

Yes and no.

With certain kinds of in vitro fertilization, multiple births are common because doctors implant more than one embryo in order to stack the odds in favor of at least one successful birth. JJ wasn't a separate fetus that developed into an infant; he was absorbed into Rusty's tissues, essentially becoming a ridiculous variant of a fetiform teratoma. I don't even consider him a conjoined twin because fetiform teratoma. (That works if you say it like Adam Sandler does in the scene in Waterboy where he's telling his mom that it's the medulla oblongata that's responsible for a typical alligator's remarkably ornery temperament.)

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw her.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

tarlibone posted:

I don't think so; clones would look like the original organism, so if Doc were a clone of Jonas, he'd look like Jonas unless there was a problem in the process (as there was with the one Dean clone that was unsuccessfully aborted). You probably wouldn't get a normal looking person with little resemblance to his progenitor if the cloning process didn't work right. You'd get a freak.

I thought one of the weirdnesses of cloning was that clones DIDN'T necessarily look like the original organism. Didn't someone have a clone of a cat that ended up being an entirely different color than the original?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I thought one of the weirdnesses of cloning was that clones DIDN'T necessarily look like the original organism. Didn't someone have a clone of a cat that ended up being an entirely different color than the original?

Yeah, that's what I'd tell people if I were charging them for clones and then giving them strays I found.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/biosciences/documents/burn/2011/why-are-cloned-cats-not-identical--emma-stubbs.pdf

From 7 years ago, but definitely suggests that it's very possible for a clone of Jonas to look like Rusty or Malcolm, there's plenty of room for variation before you get into freakshow abominations.

Not that I think they're clones necessarily, I'd put more money on Blue Morpho's wife having twins or some other random hookup of Jonas who got pregnant.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phenotype posted:

CC (Copycat). First cloned cat.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
So the only big mystery left now is who the boys mother really is.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
My guess about the Monarch is that he's Rusty's one-fourth brother? Jonas helped "jazz" up Blue Morpho's weak/sterile sperm with some of his own DNA. That way Monarch ends up having traits from both men, along with whomever the mother is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Teek posted:

My guess about the Monarch is that he's Rusty's one-fourth brother? Jonas helped "jazz" up Blue Morpho's weak/sterile sperm with some of his own DNA. That way Monarch ends up having traits from both men, along with whomever the mother is.

No he's just half BM and half Jonas. First ever male-male designer baby.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Crazy theory time:

Jonas actually did help BM have kids, but he also slipped in a little Jonas in as well, which is where Jonas Venture Jr came from.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If they really wanted to go the comic book brother birth-swap route, they could pull some Kalibak and Orion nonsense—it weirdly fits. Or they could just make Rusty BM's biological son... maybe BM hosed Jonas's wife in revenge so they wound up with swapped fathers?

But, uh, I'm sure they'll come up with something better than that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 20, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phenotype posted:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/biosciences/documents/burn/2011/why-are-cloned-cats-not-identical--emma-stubbs.pdf

From 7 years ago, but definitely suggests that it's very possible for a clone of Jonas to look like Rusty or Malcolm, there's plenty of room for variation before you get into freakshow abominations.

Not that I think they're clones necessarily, I'd put more money on Blue Morpho's wife having twins or some other random hookup of Jonas who got pregnant.

That wouldn't explain it in this situation. The clone doesn't have the exact same coat as the donor because the genes that control that are on the X chromosome. The situation explained in that article only has to do with females, because their cells have to cancel out part of one of their X chromosomes. Male clones wouldn't have that same X chromosome cancellation, so the variance described would be nonexistent.

Besides, Jonas didn't clone himself. He hosed the morpho's wife.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jonas clearly either seduced Morpho's wife or tricked her into taking his seed while doing a medical procedure. Because he's the worst. Why would he also put Morpho's sperm in there too? Come on, people!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't stop saying "I grew my head back" I love the way that line is said.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The Monarch is much more respectful of police officers when he is sober.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

The Monarch is much more respectful of police officers when he is sober.

Aren't we all?

As the song says, two things you should never say while drunk are "That badge looks stupid" and "I can prove these shoes are fireproof!"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

MichiganCubbie posted:

That's a New York way of pronouncing it. I've heard it a few times up here and I laugh every time. It reminds me of Zoidberg.

It really hope that it just a Freddy Mercury themed villain and not actually him. He should be much bigger than slumming it with the minor guild people, especially in 86.

Maybe that's just how far he wanted to commit to super villainy. The Monarch's singular goal is to arch Rusty, I'm sure there are others who don't care all that much about climbing the ladder.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

revolther posted:

My guess is Stab Girl is a composite of Tank Girl and Wendy O Williams.

You know its crude but I think you might be right about Wendy O. Williams, that would be a very deep cut if so.

Wait... that probably wasn't the best choice of words.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Rodney's not going to recover. Remember Orpheus called his death as happening in "two years, seventeen days...of a stroke."

Also explains why he knew what happened.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Maybe that's just how far he wanted to commit to super villainy. The Monarch's singular goal is to arch Rusty, I'm sure there are others who don't care all that much about climbing the ladder.

Maybe he just wanted to avoid those pretentious Doom Factory assholes.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I kinda thought they were gonna shrink themselves down and try un-stroking him from inside his brain.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rodney's not going to recover. Remember Orpheus called his death as happening in "two years, seventeen days...of a stroke."

Also explains why he knew what happened.
The fact that Orpheus foresaw the event and was personally involved could mean that he ended up changing the outcome. That's a pretty standard time-travel/prophecy twist.

Of course, this led to a cool and legitimately heroic emergency evacuation that involved everyone teaming up to use science and magic to great success... and the most Venture Bros outcome for that sort of thing is "yeah, but he died anyway."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They could still shrink down and try to fix him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked that Paperboy Manstrong was wearing Wesley's uniform from the second season of TNG. Though him being Phantom Spaceman makes the most sense, it does seem like Vendata took the tape with him as it was in the Morpho cave. Though BM could have copied it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love how The Monarch and Rocco team up to pile on Wide Wale for "studying abroad."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

twistedmentat posted:

I liked that Paperboy Manstrong was wearing Wesley's uniform from the second season of TNG. Though him being Phantom Spaceman makes the most sense, it does seem like Vendata took the tape with him as it was in the Morpho cave. Though BM could have copied it.

Maybe Jonas made copies and he gave BM one after every job. And Vendata as Phantom Spaceman makes perfect sense. He could have been discovered by Manstrong when he was leaving and locked him in the control room with instructions like "Do not leave this room or I will terminatedestroy you" or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I still don't think Vendata did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

I still don't think Vendata did it.

It's totally bud.

Also timeline adds up for Rusty's college years because he and malcolm would have been 19/20 years old.