Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Got a job at a sports bar that actually gives cooks a share of the tips and I gotta say this is a plum gig. They're super casual and are thrilled just to have someone that can make a good burger and doesn't gripe about hauling or changing kegs. Got an extra hundred bucks the past couple nights that were busy but easily done solo since it's all grilled or fried food. And the best part is it's a tiny rear end kitchen that takes maybe twenty minutes to close. I left my last job in part because closing a big kitchen by myself in the slow months and keeping it clean was driving me insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Having a vacation was the best. Not getting to meet BABBYS was lame, but that was my bad. SF is the most goddamn expensive city, I'd have to make $35+/hr there to be able to afford what I do in Austin. In 3 days I think we spent $1k-ish on food.

At least pot was cheap. Edibles were meh though, and I doubt the claims of 10mg THC per edible. I had a whole gram before getting on the plane back, and it was like eating 2 of my cookies. Either my stuff is waaay stronger, or the 5 different edibles I bought were 70%+ Sativa

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, SF is crazy expensive. I was there for one day and had a blast though. Like party in the street type poo poo.

But yeah I went to this one place and got a beer, cup soup, and oysters rocks fella and it was like $60 lol.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Republicans posted:

Got a job at a sports bar that actually gives cooks a share of the tips and I gotta say this is a plum gig. They're super casual and are thrilled just to have someone that can make a good burger and doesn't gripe about hauling or changing kegs. Got an extra hundred bucks the past couple nights that were busy but easily done solo since it's all grilled or fried food. And the best part is it's a tiny rear end kitchen that takes maybe twenty minutes to close. I left my last job in part because closing a big kitchen by myself in the slow months and keeping it clean was driving me insane.

Tiny tip splitting sports bars are the kitchens of the future. This has been my kind of gig too for the last year and a half, and as long as you don't get bored flipping burgers, it's about as good as it gets. I don't find myself stressing about my kitchen in my off hours, and the bump in pay from the tips ends up making a real difference. My tiny rear end tip-out sports bar job has significantly increased my day-to-day happiness and quality of life.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Republicans posted:

Congrats, you're working at a place that pays illegally.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

iospace posted:

In March of 2018, the Fair Labor Standards Act was amended to clarify this issue. Employers that do not take a tip credit and pay employees the full minimum wage may establish a tip pool that includes back-of-house employees. However, employers that do take a tip credit must limit the tip pool to employees who customarily and regularly receive tips.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
All I know is I make all the tips and my pay check is now like $200 a week.

I didn’t even ask for it. It just showed up on my check.

Hell yeah!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

iospace posted:

I used to work at a place like that. It was fuckin' sweet.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

torgeaux posted:

In March of 2018, the Fair Labor Standards Act was amended to clarify this issue. Employers that do not take a tip credit and pay employees the full minimum wage may establish a tip pool that includes back-of-house employees. However, employers that do take a tip credit must limit the tip pool to employees who customarily and regularly receive tips.

I did not know this, thanks.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

iospace posted:

Woohoo!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Out of all the illegal poo poo the industry does all the time, I don't think including BoH in the tipping pool would be anywhere near the top 10 of terrible things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The General posted:

Out of all the illegal poo poo the industry does all the time, I don't think including BoH in the tipping pool would be anywhere near the top 10 of terrible things.

In California as long as someone in the kitchen occasionally brought food to a table it'd be totally kosher.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My only gripe is by the time we close nothing's open that I wanna eat on my keto diet. Someone needs to open a 24 hour barbecue restaurant nearby, I would have gladly paid the $60 in tips I got last night for some ribs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
isn't barbeque ribs with sauce or nearly any kind of rub not keto

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isn't barbeque ribs with sauce or nearly any kind of rub not keto

Most places around here don't have sugary rubs and I can live without the sauce or just use some good ol' Frank's. Hell the first place I worked was a smokehouse that only ever salted their meats and they've been around forever.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
These last few post have me wanting some ribs. I haven’t had some in years.

CHILLIES! BABY BACK RIBS!

And BBQ sauce!!!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Republicans posted:

Most places around here don't have sugary rubs and I can live without the sauce or just use some good ol' Frank's. Hell the first place I worked was a smokehouse that only ever salted their meats and they've been around forever.

Memphis dry style is pretty fine with keto, as long as you ask if there's sugar in the rub. There usually isn't.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hell my weekend's coming up, I'm gonna use some of my tip money to buy a big ol' brisket at costco and smoke it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Speaking of weird, illicit payouts...

So remember about a month back, I was all chuffed over getting a promotion to shift lead, with my KM promising "I'll get you more money"?

First, I hear I'm not getting an all-over raise. No, the plan is: I'm getting two clock in/out options in the POS. When the AM shift lead leaves, I was to clock out as grunt, and clock back in as lead, and get that big fat 75 cents more an hour. Ok, that's kinda hosed up, but a raise is a raise.

Two weeks later, I still don't have a separate clock option, and here I've been held responsible for being a lead. I bitch sporadically at my KM about this, who keeps assuring me the GM and/or the owner is working on it. Meanwhile, I wisely keep track of every hour I'm being a lead and not getting paid for it.

FINALLY last week the GM tells me "oh, the owner thinks the two clock ins might confuse you". I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I have a loving MA degree, I think I can manage pressing the right button on the POS. So their solution is: When they're doing the drawers at the end of the day, I tell FOH how many hours I was shift lead, and they give me the pay differential in cash. So if AM lead leaves at 12:30, and I'm lead from 12:30 to 3:30, I tell FOH "hey I was lead for 3 hours" and get $2.25 in cash at the end of the day.

I mean, I'm not gonna argue a tax-free raise, but seriously, WTF is up with that system? Going back to when I was keeping track of my unpaid lead hours: they did retro pay me for that, so fair enough there. But even the other two leads (who are technically asst managers, they have the keys to the store, I don't) think they should've just given me a raise all around. I'm a rock solid employee has has never no call/no showed, never even called out sick. At brunch yesterday I looked around the kitchen and realized I've been there nearly a year and have had more brunches under my belt than anyone else in the kitchen. Surely that deserves an all-around raise come my anniversary in October?

I need to loving grow a pair. Help me, industry thread.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Good on you for keeping track of those hours and I think it's a good sign that they retro-payed you for them. I think October and your 1 year anniversary would be a good time to bring it up to someone in management you trust and let them know how you feel about the situation. If they can't or won't give you an all-around raise, well then it might be time to start shopping around for some place that will value you more. We're rooting for you, JD!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Less than 3 bucks a day isn't a raise

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Casually mention you have some job interviews coming up. If that doesn't scare them into giving you your actual raise then tell them to kick rocks.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I’m actually laughing at the idea of being handed a couple dollars in loose change at the end of a shift.

gently caress this industry

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thoht posted:

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Good on you for keeping track of those hours and I think it's a good sign that they retro-payed you for them. I think October and your 1 year anniversary would be a good time to bring it up to someone in management you trust and let them know how you feel about the situation. If they can't or won't give you an all-around raise, well then it might be time to start shopping around for some place that will value you more. We're rooting for you, JD!

Thanks, Thoht! (And btw, I love your av)

Skwirl posted:

And even Skwirl, who I usually butt FOH vs BOH heads with, comes to bat for me. (We do agree over in the comics threads, though.)

Yeah, that was a real sticking point for me on Saturday. KM starts yelling at me and the other 2 leads bc somebody on the line didn't have their poo poo correct. "There's 3 leads in the kitchen right now, y'all need to make sure they have everything set up!"
As soon as she left the kitchen, I piped up with "uh, I'm not getting paid to be a lead right now, but this is now my fault?" The other 2 leads nodded with general mumbling of "That poo poo's hosed up, JD, you deserve better."

For the record: I get $9 an hour. Now I get a whopping $9.75 for the hours when I'm in charge (which is appox 3 hours a day, except Tuesdays when I'm in charge for my full 10.5 hr day). I'm getting turbofucked, yes?

Edit: I see some other replies have come in while I was typing that. Please keep the encouragement coming, I'm a total dishrag when it comes to confronting my bosses. If nothing else, I'm gonna take Thoht's idea and confront on my anniversary, but also shop around.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 20, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks, Thoht! (And btw, I love your av)

And even Skwirl, who I usually butt FOH vs BOH heads with, comes to bat for me. (We do agree over in the comics threads, though.)

Yeah, that was a real sticking point for me on Saturday. KM starts yelling at me and the other 2 leads bc somebody on the line didn't have their poo poo correct. "There's 3 leads in the kitchen right now, y'all need to make sure they have everything set up!"
As soon as she left the kitchen, I piped up with "uh, I'm not getting paid to be a lead right now, but this is now my fault?" The other 2 leads nodded with general mumbling of "That poo poo's hosed up, JD, you deserve better."

For the record: I get $9 an hour. Now I get a whopping $9.75 for the hours when I'm in charge (which is appox 3 hours a day, except Tuesdays when I'm in charge for my full 10.5 hr day). I'm getting turbofucked, yes?

At the very least you should be getting the extra seventy-five cents an hour for your entire loving shift.

And I'm never going to say anything against the kitchen making more money, I could never work back of house, that's why I work front. I just also know that very few people in the back of the house could deal with the bullshit customers.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 20, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

At the very least you should be getting the extra seventy-five cents an hour for your entire loving shift.

And I'm never going to say anything against the kitchen making more money, I could never work back of house, that's why I work front. I just also know that very few people in the back of the house could deal with the bullshit customers.

Yeah, that's what my other leads are saying. gently caress, i'd be happy if they split the difference and just put me at $9.50 for all my hours, vs. this 75 cents for 3 hours bullshit.

And I could never do FOH, and never tried for it, for the very reason you mentioned. From 1997 to 2013 I had jobs that dealt with the public all the time, and that's what drove me to a ridiculous alcohol problem. Strangely, working BOH has actually HELPED with how much I drink.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I wouldn’t wait for my anniversary. It’s “only” two months away, but you’ll be stewing over it for “only” two months, then bring it up, then wait “only” however long for them to implement it. Bring it up ASAP. Is there really much of a difference between 10 months experience and 12 months? The sooner you confront it, the sooner you get a raise or the sooner you find a new job. That’s an extra two months of $1/hr, which is an extra couple hundred bucks in your pocket.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

The Maestro posted:

I wouldn’t wait for my anniversary. It’s “only” two months away, but you’ll be stewing over it for “only” two months, then bring it up, then wait “only” however long for them to implement it. Bring it up ASAP. Is there really much of a difference between 10 months experience and 12 months? The sooner you confront it, the sooner you get a raise or the sooner you find a new job. That’s an extra two months of $1/hr, which is an extra couple hundred bucks in your pocket.

Thanks, Maestro, this is exactly the sort of slap in the face I need. Like I said, I'm a total anxiety-ridden wet noodle about things (but manages to make a stew with said noodles). These hearty pat-on-the-back posts are getting me geared up to talk to the boss tomorrow, keep 'em comin' guys.

Edit: I guess I'm just scared as poo poo that if I make a threat, they'll fire me. As it is, my husband & I are living paycheck to paycheck, so I'm in a Stockholme Syndrome of "must do what paycheck cutter says, or you will die". And I live in a biggish city, but small enough that if I piss off my boss, will I get blacklisted from any industry jobs? This is why I can't sleep at night. :(

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 20, 2018

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

You don't need to make threats, and for christ's sake don't say you have other interviews lined up, that will kill any chance at negotiation. Just say you're having trouble making ends meet on your current pay and a raise would help ensure you can continue working there, because you like working there and being a part of that team. Remind them of your attendance record, and brunch performance, and whatever else you do better than the rest of the staff. Negotiate based on your $9 base pay, ask for more than you need (because they're going to counter lower no matter what you ask for) and once that's established ask for $1 on top of that for any time you're working lead. Remember you can also politely decline to continue in the lead role if they aren't willing to pay properly for it, cause it isn't a "promotion" unless you're making substantially more money.

I don't know what town you're in or what BOH usually gets paid there, but none of that is unreasonable for any workplace IMO. Just remember that your time is yours, and it has a value, and nobody else gets to decide what that value is. If they don't value your time as much as you do, then they don't get to have any of it, and you go find someone else who will pay you what your time is worth.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

bizwank posted:

Just say you're having trouble making ends meet on your current pay

Definitely don't say poo poo like this.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks, Maestro, this is exactly the sort of slap in the face I need. Like I said, I'm a total anxiety-ridden wet noodle about things (but manages to make a stew with said noodles). These hearty pat-on-the-back posts are getting me geared up to talk to the boss tomorrow, keep 'em comin' guys.

Edit: I guess I'm just scared as poo poo that if I make a threat, they'll fire me. As it is, my husband & I are living paycheck to paycheck, so I'm in a Stockholme Syndrome of "must do what paycheck cutter says, or you will die". And I live in a biggish city, but small enough that if I piss off my boss, will I get blacklisted from any industry jobs? This is why I can't sleep at night. :(

Holy piss America is hosed JD. I get paid $15/hr and I work as a server. (Also I work in Canada and voluntarily tip out 3.5% of my sales to the kitchen)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Definitely don't say poo poo like this.
Why not? It's humanizing and indicates you don't "want" more money but you "need" it to support yourself. Any employer who doesn't care if you can support yourself on what they're paying isn't worth working for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't understand how people are expected to live off 9.75 an hour, I get that I live in California and pay an insane amount of rent compared to boring places, but still, at 40 hours a week that's less than 400 bucks a week.

Do you get overtime on the days you're working ten and a half hours for those last 2 and a half hours?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bizwank posted:

Why not? It's humanizing and indicates you don't "want" more money but you "need" it to support yourself. Any employer who doesn't care if you can support yourself on what they're paying isn't worth working for.

the implication is that you'll walk as soon as you find that .75 elsewhere after they don't give it to you.

JD you simply shouldn't have two titles and their payroll software or whatever method they use probably doesn't allow two punches.

Skwirl posted:

I don't understand how people are expected to live off 9.75 an hour, I get that I live in California and pay an insane amount of rent compared to boring places, but still, at 40 hours a week that's less than 400 bucks a week.

Do you get overtime on the days you're working ten and a half hours for those last 2 and a half hours?
they aren't expected to. Shits hosed up, but boss needs that dollar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the implication is that you'll walk as soon as you find that .75 elsewhere after they don't give it to you.

JD you simply shouldn't have two titles and their payroll software or whatever method they use probably doesn't allow two punches.
they aren't expected to. Shits hosed up, but boss needs that dollar.

If minimum wage had been tied to inflation or the CPI when it was first created it'd be around $15 now.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There is always an implication, when asking for a raise, that you might leave if you don't get it. This way you proactively establish a legitimate need, an imbalance in the relationship if you will, and avoid the assumption that you're merely being greedy or flighty. It also doubles as a litmus test to see if your boss gives a poo poo about you as a person, or if they only see you as as a working unit who they will exploit for as much labor as they can for the least about of money possible.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

bizwank posted:

There is always an implication, when asking for a raise, that you might leave if you don't get it. This way you proactively establish a legitimate need, an imbalance in the relationship if you will, and avoid the assumption that you're merely being greedy or flighty. It also doubles as a litmus test to see if your boss gives a poo poo about you as a person, or if they only see you as as a working unit who they will exploit for as much labor as they can for the least about of money possible.

There are better ways of getting this info than telling your boss you're one of those poors he spends his free time voting against.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
It really is amazing I haven’t been fired from this job. It’s def the sienfeld episode with George.

I’ve been caught drinking in the bathroom, I’ve shown up drunk, I’ve no called no show, and yet I’m the main waiter.

Actually just lol.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There are better ways of getting this info than telling your boss you're one of those poors he spends his free time voting against.
Pro tip: if he's the one paying you he already knows how much/little you're making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

bizwank posted:

Why not? It's humanizing

yes that's why its really stupid to do

bizwank posted:

Pro tip: if he's the one paying you he already knows how much/little you're making.

YES, Thats Why Its Really Stupid To DO