Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Which class A student scored worst on the most recent popularity poll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shinsou is destined to replace the traitor after they break cover provided the school isn't just fine with having 21 kids in the class.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I'm still expecting him to replace a Class B kid.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Shinsou is destined to replace the traitor after they break cover provided the school isn't just fine with having 21 kids in the class.

That implies that they know the traitor's identity. Though I would be surprised if they didn't at this point considering the array of quirks at the teacher's disposal. Hell, just a some quick interviews with Tsukauchi should have been enough to get a positive line considering his quirk is Human Lie Detector.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Have they ever said that they won't put another kid in the class?

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Have they ever said that they won't put another kid in the class?

It was implied by Shinsou during the tournament arc, he said that if he performed well enough then he could move into the hero course and one of them would be dropped to make room for him.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Is it the second year yet?

I think he also said something about reshuffling the classes in the second year, so maybe we might get some people switched from Class A and B

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Shinsou is going to asked all of the students "Are you the traitor?" and then replace whoever it is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is it the second year yet?

I think he also said something about reshuffling the classes in the second year, so maybe we might get some people switched from Class A and B

nah, there's still the spring term to get through. we're about two thirds of the way through the year

it's pretty crazy that the whole series has happened in the course of about a year and three quarters

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Seems a bit crap for UA to demote a student just because someone in the support class qualifies to come up.

While it's almost certainly Sato or Koda getting the boot, having it be one of the more visible classmates would make for some interesting drama too. Sorry, Ashido fans. :unsmigghh:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

um excuse me Alien Queen is going nowhere you swine

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised to see the classes get shuffled once Year 2 starts.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mirage posted:

While it's almost certainly Sato or Koda getting the boot, having it be one of the more visible classmates would make for some interesting drama too. Sorry, Ashido fans. :unsmigghh:

Do not.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Literally all of 1-B will get replaced by just Shinso.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mirage posted:

Don't do this, only villains do this.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Horikoshi did say that Mina's story is one he was looking forward to doing the most, and there have been some weird inconsistencies with her. I could see her getting bounced from UA if only temporarily.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Weird inconsistencies?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah what weird inconsistencies.

Anyway I am looking forward to the second year, because yeah the classes will likely get shuffled up a bit.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shinso will replace Hagakure after she freezes to death.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If Deku had failed the UA exam, would he have gotten into the general studies course like Shinsou?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mraagvpeine posted:

If Deku had failed the UA exam, would he have gotten into the general studies course like Shinsou?

He didn't do very well on the written exam, so probably not

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Arist posted:

What, no. Deku did fine on the written part.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Weird inconsistencies?

Not getting any offers after the tournament, being part of Kirishima's backstory as a star while she's now at near the bottom of the class.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ChronoReverse posted:

What, no. Deku did fine on the written part.

In his own words, he "just barely passed."

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Arist posted:

Where did Deku say he just barely passed the _written_ part? All Might says "You did fine on the written test" in Chapter 4.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arist posted:

Where'd you see he didn't do well on the written?

That seems odd, considering the three people who beat his grade on the first term finals were:

Momo (Supergenius)
Iida (breathes homework)
and Bakugo (not as smart as Momo, not quite as dedicated as Iida, but pretty close to both when he gets going)

Deku's pretty drat good at his studies. Meanwhile, his self-assessments... are more negative.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

LostRook posted:

part of Kirishima's backstory as a star while she's now at near the bottom of the class.

Charisma and bravery =/= intelligence

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

He didn't actually know how well he did on the test at the time, I think he was self checking it in his head.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: wait I hosed it up

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Arist posted:

Chapter 4:

Deku thinks "By my own calculations, I barely made the written test"

So you're going to value Deku's (low self-esteem) guess rather than what All Might said in the same chapter as someone who actually knows what Deku scored?

Combined with the supportive evidence that Midoriya is a top scorer in written tests of 1-A, I think it's safe to say that he did fine in the written part of the entrance test.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ChronoReverse posted:

So you're going to value Deku's (low self-esteem) guess rather than what All Might said in the same chapter as someone who actually knows what Deku scored?

Combined with the supportive evidence that Midoriya is a top scorer in written tests of 1-A, I think it's safe to say that he did fine in the written part of the entrance test.

All Might never says how well Deku did, just that he passed. Deku's guess doesn't get directly contradicted. It's also possible he was focusing more on his physical training than his mental.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

LostRook posted:

Not getting any offers after the tournament, being part of Kirishima's backstory as a star while she's now at near the bottom of the class.

Is it stated outright that she had no internship offers? I certainly don't remember that. I think it's just something that didn't get mentioned

Also, she is just bad at tests and classwork--she's definitely pretty good at actual heroics.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Arist posted:

All Might never says how well Deku did, just that he passed. Deku's guess doesn't get directly contradicted. It's also possible he was focusing more on his physical training than his mental.

You don't say a person "did fine" if they "barely passed". You're completely reading something into this that isn't there and doesn't match logically with what we know about Deku. There's never been any indication that Deku would be bad at written exams.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

symbolic posted:

Charisma and bravery =/= intelligence

Ashido of comes of as very creative(instantly coming up with the whole dance routine for the Culture Festival) and seems to have generally good instincts, but she just has trouble applying that to academic work.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Izuku probably demolished the written part of the entrance exam.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Did fine" could mean just about anything, but whatever.

"Did fine" also isn't "nailed it," which one would assume he would need to do to get into one of the other classes given how competitive it is. That's the point I was making before you got weirdly confrontational about this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Isn't Deku like ranked 4th in class academically?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm just saying, there are any number of reasons to explain that discrepancy, down to "it was chapter 4 and things were weird."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Just so I understand what you're trying to say: if Deku failed, he outright wasn't going to get in UA; if he did good but not good enough, he would have ended up in general. Is that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arist posted:

"Did fine" could mean just about anything, but whatever.

"Did fine" also isn't "nailed it," which one would assume he would need to do to get into one of the other classes given how competitive it is. That's the point I was making before you got weirdly confrontational about this.

Except "nailed it" isn't a phrase All Might would use in this kind of context, or that, frankly, would probably apply to the test.

This is the entrance exam for UA, the most prestigious school in Japan. It's going to be scaled so that nobody, or almost nobody, can ace it. Standard school tests are meant to be passed, but considering the crop and the filtering needs, the entrance exam is probably scaled so that people like Momo or Nedzu won't get 100 percent. A year with an especially gifted crop of students is going to have higher expectations, a year with more people like Denki is going to have lower, because the point is to find the best students who seem to have what it takes, not to hit a target number. (I'm thinking of the all Japan student tests that came up in GTO, where only one person managed a perfect in the entire country.)

Assuming that's the case, Deku probably did his mental checks, figured he got somewhere in the 70s or 80s (estimating lower than he got, because his self-esteem at that point was not exactly what you would call high), and that it was A Barely Passing Grade, because he was evaluating it like a regular test. Meanwhile, by the school's metrics, he did pretty drat good, because they didn't expect 90 plus from anyone.