Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They work for me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They work for me. :shrug:
Thanks for the confirmation.

It came back after an IP change, might be some filter-related stuff, I'll remember it in case it happens again. everything's working for now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pierzak posted:

Is Baldurk doing anything with the site atm? I can access neither lPArchive nor LPix :ohdear:

It's working fine for me

e: fb

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey there, I'm working on a new LP and wanted to get some feedback on the subtitles. I've done subtitles before, but it was always extra stuff that didn't matter all that much. For this series I'll be transcribing and subtitling all of the dialogue in the game so I want to make sure it's good. I'm particularly worried about the size, I feel like it might be a little small, but also don't want it to be too big and distracting. Here's the preliminary video, any feedback is appreciated. Skip to about 4:50 to bypass all the intro stuff.

https://youtu.be/vmrQfNJ9FAg

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

For this series I'll be transcribing and subtitling all of the dialogue in the game so I want to make sure it's good.
I'm surprised that there's no in-game subtitles.

I'm also seeing some bad symbols. 5:50, you have some odd things, like åϵ¦ in front of "if, you cooperate."

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is a test post of a level from the game I'm planning to Let's Play, Shenzhen I/O. This is going to be a screenshot LP, and it's written in-character from the point of the game's protagonist, the Engineer (the premise is it's their blog about their job).

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151776

In addition to levels, I'm going to have posts where I explain the game mechanics, as well, seeing as this is a Zachlike (i.e. programming game). I might also have the Engineer respond to reader posts if they have something interesting to say.

Thoughts?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

This is a test post of a level from the game I'm planning to Let's Play, Shenzhen I/O. This is going to be a screenshot LP, and it's written in-character from the point of the game's protagonist, the Engineer (the premise is it's their blog about their job).

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151776

In addition to levels, I'm going to have posts where I explain the game mechanics, as well, seeing as this is a Zachlike (i.e. programming game). I might also have the Engineer respond to reader posts if they have something interesting to say.

Thoughts?

I like this game.

About your test post: Right now it feels very disjointed. Like we're only seeing flashes of a story. Is it supposed to be like that?

Also, please do not ever use [timg]s or thumbnail screenshots in an SSLP. Use full size images, shrink overview images before posting them on the forum, or crop the relevant parts when you want to show the programming you did in a chip.
Having to click on timgs/thumbnails to see them full size takes you right out of the flow of reading the LP and makes it so annoying that I won't follow an LP at all no matter how good it is otherwise.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

berryjon posted:

I'm surprised that there's no in-game subtitles.

I'm also seeing some bad symbols. 5:50, you have some odd things, like åϵ¦ in front of "if, you cooperate."

Ah, good catch. I'd seen that before but thought I fixed all the instances. Guess not.

And yeah, this game not having in-game subtitles is ridiculous considering how often the dialogue gets drowned out by gunfire and explosions. It's the reason I don't want to LP it without adding subtitles of my own. Did you have any feedback about the size of the text?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Did you have any feedback about the size of the text?

Not really. I watched it in windowed and full screen modes, and it was readable in both.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

berryjon posted:

Not really. I watched it in windowed and full screen modes, and it was readable in both.

Alright, cool. Thanks.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I like this game.

About your test post: Right now it feels very disjointed. Like we're only seeing flashes of a story. Is it supposed to be like that?

That's the entirety of the in-game story for this level. I realized, however, that I should show the blank spec and goal text in there as well.

quote:

Also, please do not ever use [timg]s or thumbnail screenshots in an SSLP. Use full size images, shrink overview images before posting them on the forum, or crop the relevant parts when you want to show the programming you did in a chip.
Having to click on timgs/thumbnails to see them full size takes you right out of the flow of reading the LP and makes it so annoying that I won't follow an LP at all no matter how good it is otherwise.

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure about that. The play area is about 1200px wide. Shrinking it to 800px makes the chip text unreadable, but ideally I wanted the reader to be able to follow along with the solutions. Thus, [timg]s.
If I do shrink the full solution and put it in, it'll still look bad, though - even if I add insets of each chip.

Maybe I could make sort of a fake [timg] - a custom [img] (600px, 800px, whatever) with a [url] around it? So it is half size, but if you click on it it links to the full size image...?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm not gonna read an LP where I have to click on every image to understand what it's telling me. If resizing on its own doesn't give useful images, then you should look into cropping and/or multi-image approaches. Like, you could have a full-size image of the chip along with a smaller image of the play area.

Also, doesn't the game let you choose a different resolution? Plenty of games these days can use resolutions anywhere from 800x600 through to 3800xwhatever while retaining legible text at every scale. You may not enjoy playing the game at a smaller resolution, but it'd give you better screenshots.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not gonna read an LP where I have to click on every image to understand what it's telling me. If resizing on its own doesn't give useful images, then you should look into cropping and/or multi-image approaches. Like, you could have a full-size image of the chip along with a smaller image of the play area.

This. Also, looking at the test post again, I think the problem is you don't go into what makes this game interesting at all. You show the story, give a reply to that, then show the solution to the puzzle and that's that. There's nothing about your thought process. Nothing about why the design you made works here.

I don't think that with a game like Shenzhen I/O you're gonna get away with only separate game mechanics posts. Every single step of the LP should breathe game mechanics, puzzle solving, trying stuff. It's a complicated puzzle game, so show that off in your LP. And don't assume that if you dump a bunch of code in a screenshot that viewers are gonna 'get' it. Zachtronics games are very hard to follow if the player doesn't spell out their thought process.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You're the second person to suggest that (edit: and now there's a third person), so I guess that's how it's gonna be...

quote:

Also, doesn't the game let you choose a different resolution? Plenty of games these days can use resolutions anywhere from 800x600 through to 3800xwhatever while retaining legible text at every scale. You may not enjoy playing the game at a smaller resolution, but it'd give you better screenshots.

The game does, but the absolute smallest resolution it will run at is 1440 x 900. All screenshots in the test post were taken in that mode. On top of that, making the resolution bigger/smaller doesn't make the text in the design area bigger, it just shows more/less of the background. :P

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 12, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Why is tindeck still alive?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, so I realized that part of the problem (aside from the whole business with the [timg]s) was that:

[1] The test post I presented the first time was for the fourth mission, not the first. Zachlikes really need you to experience the game in order, or you will be at sea.
[2A] I didn't post any examples of the additional explaining I was going to be doing, giving the thing no context.
[2B] I also hadn't focused on explaining what each solution is actually doing, as Carbon dioxide pointed out.

So, here's a new test post. This is for the first mission (now [timg] free!), and includes the first 'Engineer's Corner' explanation post attached to it.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151781

It should be noted that the first part of this post is still not as well commented, though it's explained in Engineer's Corner afterwards— that's on purpose. The way I'm writing it is, the Engineer doesn't realize they need to explain to everyone until they get the comments back, and that's why they start the Corner series.

From there, future mission posts will explain what each chip is doing in a straightforward way...
("This job only needs one MC [microcontroller]. It's getting the value from the input, storing it in the accumulator, multiplying it by 2, and pushing that to the output.")

...which is going to be really important in later levels when you're stringing multiple chips together.
("This MC handles the input. If it's sound data, it pipes it out x1 to the sound-handling chip.")

I do feel more confident about the LP than I did before. Thank you all for your excellent advice!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xander77 posted:

Why is tindeck still alive?

The Owner is Sisyphus and Tindeck is their rock.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

OK, so I realized that part of the problem (aside from the whole business with the [timg]s) was that:

[1] The test post I presented the first time was for the fourth mission, not the first. Zachlikes really need you to experience the game in order, or you will be at sea.
[2A] I didn't post any examples of the additional explaining I was going to be doing, giving the thing no context.
[2B] I also hadn't focused on explaining what each solution is actually doing, as Carbon dioxide pointed out.

So, here's a new test post. This is for the first mission (now [timg] free!), and includes the first 'Engineer's Corner' explanation post attached to it.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151781

It should be noted that the first part of this post is still not as well commented, though it's explained in Engineer's Corner afterwards— that's on purpose. The way I'm writing it is, the Engineer doesn't realize they need to explain to everyone until they get the comments back, and that's why they start the Corner series.

From there, future mission posts will explain what each chip is doing in a straightforward way...
("This job only needs one MC [microcontroller]. It's getting the value from the input, storing it in the accumulator, multiplying it by 2, and pushing that to the output.")

...which is going to be really important in later levels when you're stringing multiple chips together.
("This MC handles the input. If it's sound data, it pipes it out x1 to the sound-handling chip.")

I do feel more confident about the LP than I did before. Thank you all for your excellent advice!

That looks a lot better! :justpost:

Just one final remark: it might be a good idea to put an out-of-character description of how your LP works with the double posts in the OP, otherwise people might be confused.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Carbon dioxide posted:

That looks a lot better! :justpost:

I agree. This looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to reading it!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's working fine for me

e: fb

It seems to load extremely slowly for me, sometimes it will 'finish' loading the page but a bunch of images are partially loaded or not loaded at all. Only seems to be happening with lparchive atm.

Never mind, looks like it's just images and happening here now, so probably something with my connection to the lp pix website.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 14, 2018

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Here goes a test post! Would love any feedback. I was thinking of starting with a double-update.

Kirby's Dreamland 2 - 1995

The Game:

Kirby's Dreamland 2 was the first Kirby game to be directed by Shinichi Shimomura. I find Shimomura's design philosophies fit well with the Kirby series. He would later go on to direct Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64, both fine games in their own right, but back to Dreamland 2. It's the 3rd mainline Kirby game and while Kirby's Adventure is, generally, praised more (at least from what I've seen on the internet) Dreamland 2 is no slouch. It's one of those games that I could see missing some people's radars. But it shouldn't. If you enjoy a good Kirby game, or just a good game peroid; join me in going through this fun filled adventure! (I think that's when you use a semi-colon).

The LP

This'll be a video LP because Kirby is a fast-ish platformer. It will have voice commentary (apologies for my voice in advance). There aren't dialogue cut scenes in Dreamland 2 so I will be talking over all parts of the game. Kirby's a chill guy so I will try to be chill with my commentary but still entertaining. The game will be played proficiently but not perfectly. Hope you enjoy!

Table of Contents:

Episode 1
Episode 2

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I don't plan to continue this, nor would I have the time to do so, and I'm pretty sure what I'm trying to do will be frowned on, but if I ever do have the time to LP I'd like to hear some technical opinions.

On May 8th, an LP for Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma was started, but went silent soon after OP said they would put something up on June 26th and apparently vanished from the site. It's nearly two months later, the thread is only a week or so from being archived (a fate that nearly befell it's predecessor LP numerous times and was only avoided by sheer fortune one time) without even finishing a single chapter beyond the prologue, and I decided that I wanted to put the thread on life support for just a little longer, in hopes that OP or someone with more skill than I will come and finish this great game, and thus I made this little update to inch along our progress:

Here it is

What do you think, and is this legal?

EDIT: The test post is now slightly longer, with a more logical cliffhanger.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 17, 2018

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is an interesting edge case.

We specifically allow concurrent LPs of the same game. We have never really addressed the general case of taking over an LP because it doesn't really happen very often.

I'd say, if you are set on taking over a thread rather than restarting it, if you have made a good faith attempt to contact the OP and have every reason to believe the LP has been abandoned, then I'm not going to object.

I do question the value of doing this just for one update if you don't specifically intend to continue, though.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Fedule posted:

We specifically allow concurrent LPs of the same game. We have never really addressed the general case of taking over an LP because it doesn't really happen very often.

I'd say, if you are set on taking over a thread rather than restarting it, if you have made a good faith attempt to contact the OP and have every reason to believe the LP has been abandoned, then I'm not going to object.

I do question the value of doing this just for one update if you don't specifically intend to continue, though.

I would try to contact the OP, Heckspawn, but as I said they have not had any activity on SA since the post made about posting later that day, they do not have an email on their profile nor can I send them a PM.

Ideally, this would be a call to action of sorts that would bring OP (or else some likely hero) to put the LP back on track, but I could theoretically continue the LP (though I would appreciate some advice on how to handle screenshots, I have the distinct feeling that I could be doing this faster). I would also probably have to converse with the rest of the thread about whether I try to continue using OP's format or try and find something more comfortable for myself.

In all, I could continue. I overstated how little time I had, and I am in a position to do this. I'm just not comfortable with taking over someone elses thread, and I'm not sure I could do this game justice.

EDIT: I would probably feel more at ease with the idea if someone had a look at my post and gave me a review.

EDIT2: I edited my first post, and my test post now has a bit more in it.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 17, 2018

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Whenever someone uploads multiple-megabyte PNGs to lpix that should be JPGs I die a little bit inside.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Someone make a image file format decision flowchart, STAT!

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

baldurk posted:

Whenever someone uploads multiple-megabyte PNGs to lpix that should be JPGs I die a little bit inside.

Lesson learned. Convert my PNGs to JPGs. Is there a tool you would recommend that would allow me to directly take JPG screenshots, or else to make the process less laborious than manually renaming them all? Also, can I now delete the images in my lpix account, or would that somehow cause my images to be unviewable?

EDIT: My timezone says it's nearly bed time, so it's likely I won't be able to respond to anything further for the time being. Keep it coming.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 17, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fedule posted:

What?

I took over several LPs and never bothered with any of that. I really don't think it's that big a deal. (I mean, I'm not a mod, I'm just relaying common practice as I understand it)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
well, two of the mods (myself and crow) have taken over someone else's LP. we had Smasher Dynamo's blessing to do so though. I dunno, there isn't really a rule for it except it not being in good taste if you don't have the OP's permission to take over their specific project.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Blind Sally posted:

well, two of the mods (myself and crow) have taken over someone else's LP. we had Smasher Dynamo's blessing to do so though. I dunno, there isn't really a rule for it except it not being in good taste if you don't have the OP's permission to take over their specific project.

Edit: I dont even know why I got you mixed up with CJacobs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

And Artix took over doing Prince of Persia 2008 after I got burned out on it and brought it through to a conclusion, again though with my permission and foreknowledge. But yeah, I’m with Sally and Fedule; get the OP’s permission first if you really want to do it, though if it’s just not possible for one reason or another—because, hey, this is SA, sometimes people just stop posting period for unverifiable reasons or stop answering PMs, or don’t even have PMs because they cost :10bux:, what have you.

In that case, then I’d say “use your discretion,” like I would with pretty much every topic that doesn’t have a hard “yep”/“nope” line to it. Be up front about it and contrite about it make sure your potential audience knows that it’s a good faith effort on your part and people with most likely be receptive to it.

Though it’s also a matter of at what point does the sunk cost fallacy come into play? When does stepping in and finishing someone else’s abandoned LP in their style become more work than just maybe starting up a new LP of the same game in your own style? Unless they got like two updates away from the end and sputtered out at the goal line or something.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

KirbyKhan posted:

Edit: I dont even know why I got you mixed up with CJacobs.

haha, well i do introduce myself as CJacobs in most of our videos

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

OddHaberdasher posted:

Ideally, this would be a call to action of sorts that would bring OP (or else some likely hero) to put the LP back on track

That sounds like a really weird thing to do.

OddHaberdasher posted:

but I could theoretically continue the LP

That sounds fine, factoring in what other folks have said. Just doing one update is like giving someone just two chest compressions in CPR and then stopping, hoping that you've motivated someone else to take over.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I think I will do it. I think most of my reluctance to do so before was due to how tedious it felt doing a few hours before I had to sleep, but I started getting into the Groove of it and looking at it in the morning, it feels different. I may or may not be able to finish it, but I can make an honest go of it.

I don't quite get the update title scheme OP had going, with the E-02 and all, however, so I'm going to be dumping that going forward, after this chapter. It's also going to be a problem making a new chapter list halfway through the thread, but I can do that too.

I'm going to make another extension to my test post, changing out my PNGs for JPGs, and then post it here again. I'll incorporate whatever advice you can give me (are there too many screenshots, should I break it up with my own thoughts etc) and I'll start it up again.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I was wrong. I just checked my emails, and I was accepted for a job I was applying for. However, the hours needed for the job are such that I would be unlikely to be able to make any updates. I will finish my test, and I will post it here for technical criticism, but I won't be posting to the LP thread just so it can die two months later.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 18, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I think most of the embedded youtube links in https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Radiant-Dawn/ are broken.

Videos are still there, the embed link is just broken, e.g.
Broken link/embed is
code:
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/nSh8xvG08J0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6
While it still exists at
code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSh8xvG08J0

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

A quick one- I'm just about ready to drop my HBS:Battletech LP, but before I get into editing the video, I've hit a snag.

So the game has a ton of dialogue, most of it text only. Some I can probably transcribe in the thread, but the ones midmission that will show up in the video I don't know what to do with.

Do I just leave it on screen for people to read? Do I attempt to read it out loud? If the former, is it worth editing to text box so its larger and more legible? There will be ones that show when the game doing 'cinematic' poo poo as well.

It's doubly annoying because theres also voiced stuff at the same time. :eng99:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Paingod556 posted:

A quick one- I'm just about ready to drop my HBS:Battletech LP, but before I get into editing the video, I've hit a snag.

So the game has a ton of dialogue, most of it text only. Some I can probably transcribe in the thread, but the ones midmission that will show up in the video I don't know what to do with.

Do I just leave it on screen for people to read? Do I attempt to read it out loud? If the former, is it worth editing to text box so its larger and more legible? There will be ones that show when the game doing 'cinematic' poo poo as well.

I say leave it on screen and make it larger if it's not too hard.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Paingod556 posted:

My immediate thoughts:

- Do not read it outloud. Provide transcripts of the dialogue in the post with the video, spoiler tagged and timestamped. Mention that if viewers cannot read the text, you have transcribed it.

Leave it onscreen so people can read it, but don't overwork yourself via editing it for easier reading.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey folks, I'm aware this is kinda skirting on the borders of an interest check, but it's more of a case of "can this work" regarding the game; not fishing for potential popularity, just a question whether a thread like this can work with this particular game.

Here's the deal: La-Mulana 2. I've managed to somehow bumble past the third boss and I'm lost with too many options; on the other hand the game is really entertaining and really loving unforgiving. I am thinking of doing a (semi- since I've played a bit of it) blind LP with the premise of "guide an idiot through this obtuse puzzle-platformer". The premise is that I post a live-commented video of me trying to progress and figure stuff out on my own (undoubtedly missing a lot of poo poo) and near the end ask for hints regarding the stuff I missed or directions to where to move next. Potential for participation and misdirection aplenty. Repeated fuckups and prolonged periods of nothing happening will be edited out.

My real concern is whether the game can be possibly beaten that way given how crazy some of the puzzles in the first La-Mulana got - basically if this is a viable format for LPing this particular thing.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Hey folks, I'm aware this is kinda skirting on the borders of an interest check, but it's more of a case of "can this work" regarding the game; not fishing for potential popularity, just a question whether a thread like this can work with this particular game.

Here's the deal: La-Mulana 2. I've managed to somehow bumble past the third boss and I'm lost with too many options; on the other hand the game is really entertaining and really loving unforgiving. I am thinking of doing a (semi- since I've played a bit of it) blind LP with the premise of "guide an idiot through this obtuse puzzle-platformer". The premise is that I post a live-commented video of me trying to progress and figure stuff out on my own (undoubtedly missing a lot of poo poo) and near the end ask for hints regarding the stuff I missed or directions to where to move next. Potential for participation and misdirection aplenty. Repeated fuckups and prolonged periods of nothing happening will be edited out.

My real concern is whether the game can be possibly beaten that way given how crazy some of the puzzles in the first La-Mulana got - basically if this is a viable format for LPing this particular thing.

Any thoughts?

Considering this is going to be the third LM2 LP out there once FPzero and Fargle's live comm one gets off the ground, I'd say any take on it is a welcome one because people are spoiled for choice as it is.