Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

heya folks; I'm pretty new to Gunpla and I just yesterday finished my first kit (The Origin Char's Zaku 1) where I applied the stickers and did panel lines

If y'all don't mind if I ask for some advice:

- Do you folks tend to apply panel lines before the whole kit is together? I put everything together and then did the lines on the arms, legs, chest and head and then stuck it all back together

- Is there a trick to making the transparent part of the sticker less...visible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Waffles Inc. posted:

heya folks; I'm pretty new to Gunpla and I just yesterday finished my first kit (The Origin Char's Zaku 1) where I applied the stickers and did panel lines

- Do you folks tend to apply panel lines before the whole kit is together? I put everything together and then did the lines on the arms, legs, chest and head and then stuck it all back together

- Is there a trick to making the transparent part of the sticker less...visible?

If something won't come apart easily, or it looks like wear on the polycaps might be real bad, I'll do panel lines as I assemble. It's just a matter of preference, really.

You can trim them with an exacto knife I guess but not really. This is why people like waterslides so much.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I usually do panel lines after it’s done but take off the limbs cause it’s just easier to handle that way.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey thread so a while ago I assembled my first gunpla (a standard GM) with advice from this thread. Well my 9 year old brother stumbled onto me building it and expressed an interest. I let him help me build it and he really got into it. This is unusual as he has special needs and usually gets distracted really easily with tasks that are too repetative. It turned into a really chill time and he really enjoyed the process.

Long story short we now build gunpla together. Any models we make become his favourite toys. I've no objection to that since I'm in it for the building. We've since built a strike freedom gundam and Evangelion 00 (he chooses based on what he thinks is cool). Have learned that these guys are suprising durable as he takes them everywhere and they haven't broke yet.

Anyway I just wanted to thank the thread for helping me get into this hobby. Never expected it to be a one I shared with my brother but am happy for it :).

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That rules

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Happy to be of service. :)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That's awesome. Gunpla is life!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puddin posted:

I got a bit of inspiration to finish my MG Sniper 2 custom paint job this weekend since I started this almost a year ago and promptly forgot about it.

All Vallejo colours.

(I say finish, but there's just a few more things I need to paint, but it was too windy today to start them.)

This is sick as hell, I’d paint mine but my wife likes the default blue way too much so I’ll probably just go back and panel like/decal it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I didn't know there was a build divers version if the Leo, it looks just dorky enough to be awesome.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Waffles Inc. posted:

After a few too many real grades. I now panel line every part as I assemble apart from non visable frame parts. This is far less daunting than having to panel line the rg zeta in one go. I also do the stickers on each main assembly as well. Top coat and the stickers are less visable. Also some say dunk them in water before putting on. But I haven't tried that myself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I panel lined my Origin Zaku 1 on the runners and then did touch up lining when I snapped it together, and it was one of the better looking line jobs I did.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
no No! NO!! NO!!!

You leave Supernova the gently caress alone you jackasses!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
no no no no nononononononono, I want my quad dakka goddammit

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

First I get hosed on the Exia R3, now this. :argh:

Bandai, make a MB 00Q kit if you are gonna kill all these 3rd parties, thanks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Couldn't you just buy two of the MG Heavyarms?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Guy Goodbody posted:

Couldn't you just buy two of the MG Heavyarms?

Even if that was a realistic option (it isn't, cause gently caress P-Bandai), Super Nova's version actually has straight up improvements, like better color separation including all the teal trim, articulated arms so you can pose the two Gatling guns on the backpack, and a display base. There's even a full clown mask option.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Not surprised that they're getting shut down. Can't really see how Bandai's being a jackass on this one.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

B-b-but their kits are really good

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Serious question: if there are so many of us nerds willing to pay P-Bandai prices, why isn’t there a direct online store for Europe and the Americas?

I mean Christ I’m new to this and I already tracked down one and that was pure luck. It’s also one of my fave kits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Serious question: if there are so many of us nerds willing to pay P-Bandai prices, why isn’t there a direct online store for Europe and the Americas?

I mean Christ I’m new to this and I already tracked down one and that was pure luck. It’s also one of my fave kits.

Because Bandai is really loving dumb and sucks at international markets. How they haven't made a competent North American service in all this time is baffling.

Seriously as much as I rag on bootleggers, Bandai refusing to easily expand their market is the dumbest thing.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
They (or somebody) hosed up Gundam Vs pretty bad as well. It had a US release and barely anyone outside Japan plays that game regularly.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I mean I'm from Europe so I get either import-taxed to death or pay hilarious markups; a legal and official way to get gunpla in general, let alone P-bandai stuff would make me pretty happy.

And in the case of this Supernova stuff I'm not even annoyed at Bandai tbh, it's clearly basically their design (but changed). Even the MB kits fall under that, but shutting down original model kits of their properties Is where I go "ehh give me an official one ok?" Like I have issues with trademark/copyright law in some ways, but I don't blame Bandai for enforcing it.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Sounds like that NA P-Bandai site redesign is next month. Really hope that opens up direct P-Bandai orders but it's ~Bandai~ so it'll be like a half dozen figures for a whole year again.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah drat, and I fuckin' pre-ordered that SuperNova. I'm hosed, aren't I?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Another random question. I’ve half built that MG Blitz Gundam my wife bought me, but it occurred to me that the larger size and theme might lend it to my first painting project, specifically with a base of Black 2.0.

Am I crazy thinking about taking apart the torso/arms and then starting to paint? Should I look at a different Gundam for a first painting project?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Taintrunner posted:

Ah drat, and I fuckin' pre-ordered that SuperNova. I'm hosed, aren't I?

Not at all. GMC is legit - if poo poo goes south and they can't get the kits they'll give a refund.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I paint each part individually other than kits with a full frame in it and even then the frame is the only thing that gets painted when it's together.

It's the only way really to ensure colours don't bleed out if you are changing a specific colour.

I'd suggest a Hg kit for a first paint though. You will learn a lot.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

TaurusOxford posted:

no No! NO!! NO!!!

You leave Supernova the gently caress alone you jackasses!

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, I really hope they havent gotten SN yet.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Puddin posted:

I paint each part individually other than kits with a full frame in it and even then the frame is the only thing that gets painted when it's together.

It's the only way really to ensure colours don't bleed out if you are changing a specific colour.

I'd suggest a Hg kit for a first paint though. You will learn a lot.

Good call, thanks!

My current experience is with painting up Warhams, so I’m a little excited painting only one of something, rather than 20.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/3Jg7VllVPqV8ktv/status/1031755407616749568

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

What could that possibly be?????

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

RB-79?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Question is, is it the original, the Stein, or the Narrative Stein?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm confident that's a Ball. :v:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm confident that's a Ball. :v:

Are you mocking me?!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackchamber posted:

Are you mocking me?!

Nah, the shoulders are too spikey for it to be a Mock :v:.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a Union Flag.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Jigglypuff from above.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Can I change my guess to one of the Apsalus' (Apsalusi? Apsaluses?)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
IT'S PIKACHU!!!

No one is gonna get this reference