Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I already am on day 2 of catching pokemon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

IcePhoenix posted:

The underlined bit

It's been answered but for more detail, a "good" defensive moveset is one with a very slow but hard hitting Fast move along with a two- or three-bar Charge move that gets used more often by the AI.

I tend to stick my B list attackers in gyms so that I can force feed them berries to squeeze out extra candy. I've powered up my main Dragonite a few times this week by doing this!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teeter posted:

I tend to stick my B list attackers in gyms so that I can force feed them berries to squeeze out extra candy. I've powered up my main Dragonite a few times this week by doing this!

Can you explain this bit?

Also how does trading work?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Can you explain this bit?

Also how does trading work?

Immediately after you place someone in the gym, click them and it will have a berry icon on the bottom left. Use this to discard all of your nanabs or razzberies if you don't need them. You may also feed them to other trainers' pokemon in the gym. Each berry gives 20 stardust and has like a 1% chance of giving you candy for the mon being fed. Not much, but even getting an extra candy per day from one who normally requires 5km walking as a buddy really helps.

After you leave the area, you can return to the gym screen by selecting the pokemon from your storage and continue to feed them remotely. You can feed 10 berries per pokemon, which resets I think every 30 minutes. The stardust adds up, but more importantly you can earn a decent chunk of candy for way less effort than walking 5km with popular yet rare defenders such as Chansey, Snorlax, and Dragonite.

I have too many berries so if I'm catching something I'll use a pinap for extra candy or a golden razz for the catch boost. Regular razz and nanabs are exclusively used for gym feeding now.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 21, 2018

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

kensei posted:

I already am on day 2 of catching pokemon?

Me too. And I can apparently get another research stamp today after claiming Raikou. Weird.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teeter posted:

Immediately after you place someone in the gym, click them and it will have a berry icon on the bottom left. Use this to discard all of your nanabs or razzberies if you don't need them. You may also feed them to other trainers' pokemon in the gym. Each berry gives 20 stardust and has like a 1% chance of giving you candy for the mon being fed. Not much, but even getting an extra candy per day from one who normally requires 5km walking as a buddy really helps.

After you leave the area, you can return to the gym screen by selecting the pokemon from your storage and continue to feed them remotely. You can feed 10 berries per pokemon, which resets I think every 30 minutes. The stardust adds up, but more importantly you can earn a decent chunk of candy for way less effort than walking 5km with popular yet rare defenders such as Chansey, Snorlax, and Dragonite.

I have too many berries so if I'm catching something I'll use a pinap for extra candy or a golden razz for the catch boost. Regular razz and nanabs are exclusively used for gym feeding now.

This is incredible, thanks!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

Gym defensive pokemon: ones you think are cute, shinies, regionals outside your region, and unown.

This is really true. The gym nearest me has blissies, snorlax, boring, boring, boring all the time. It's all meta, and none of it stops my machamp at all, it doesn't matter what they put in to defend. On the other hand, one ominous-looking night last week someone put a Gengar in, then a Haunter, Gastly, Misdreavous, & Alolan Marowak and it looked so loving cool I didn't have the heart to go stomp on that even though I could have. I just looked at it and went "Rock on dudes," so by putting cool poo poo in the gym they defended it when Boringlissey would not have.

Millertime
Jul 5, 2007
Hey there! Both my girlfriend and I are looking for a few friends for the Celebi quest chain! I’ve added a few people from the doc, but I figured this might be faster to post ours both here since she isnt on the forums.

Me = 8482 9248 2624
Her = 6138 3912 1303

Happy hunting!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Millertime posted:

Hey there! Both my girlfriend and I are looking for a few friends for the Celebi quest chain! I’ve added a few people from the doc, but I figured this might be faster to post ours both here since she isnt on the forums.

Me = 8482 9248 2624
Her = 6138 3912 1303

Happy hunting!

Added!

I'll usually put something decently defensive if I'm not gold in a gym but after that, whatever. I'm at 900 items and actually feel comfortable so I'm a bit less worried about coins. Though it seems like a good time to upgrade Pokemon storage.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My go to gym stuffers recently have been flowers.

What heartless rear end in a top hat punches a sunflora?

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Just something a friend and I noticed. The friend system is abusable. I had a new friend that I kept adding and removing to finish the make three new friends quest.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
You can tell if a Pokémon is shiny just by clicking on it an going to the catch screen right? You don’t have to actually catch it right?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Did I miss it or did they say how long the “johto festival” is going to last? All I saw was the Celebi news in game. I don’t understand why Niantic can’t be a little more specific with their in game news.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Valicious posted:

You can tell if a Pokémon is shiny just by clicking on it an going to the catch screen right? You don’t have to actually catch it right?

Yes, they display their shiny color in the catch encounter. They do not appear shiny on the overworld map and you must click on them to check. If it is shiny then the screen will flash sparkles as soon as the encounter begins, though the new update just introduced a weird camera sweep effect that may have screwed with that.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Added myself and sent some invites because I need Celebi friendz.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm at the 200 friends limit, why do I have to add 3 new friends? :argh:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Entropist posted:

I'm at the 200 friends limit, why do I have to add 3 new friends? :argh:

Akiosan posted:

The friend system is abusable. I had a new friend that I kept adding and removing to finish the make three new friends quest.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Is this even that new? I rooted my old phone ~15 months ago using a stock ROM and PGO stopped working immediately. Tried unrooting and a factory reset, still didn’t work.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

also ludicolo and wailord

and alolan exeggutor

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

DizzyBum posted:

There's no official Go-tcha app for Android. It's only available on the App Store. Unless you mean that Go Companion app?

They released one for Droid about a month ago! I'm so relieved, I was having insane issues that none of the many tricks would fix. I just had to wait for it to work again.

Play store link

Relevant Reddit thread

Go Companion is great, especially if you're missing the little icon notification thing. But it has never helped with connection issues, AFAIK

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
At this point if I lost my account I'd be done forever.

Caught this gray lady

Who I guess is a boy? Whatever.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yo I need a couple more buds

1476 7446 6043

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

They released one for Droid about a month ago! I'm so relieved, I was having insane issues that none of the many tricks would fix. I just had to wait for it to work again.

Play store link

Relevant Reddit thread

Go Companion is great, especially if you're missing the little icon notification thing. But it has never helped with connection issues, AFAIK

Oh thank gently caress, it's about time! Gonna download the heck outta that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I guess I don't qualify for Celebi. I'm at 3/8 on Mew. :shrug:

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I'm looking at raid guides, and they are saying that you need to be minimum level 30 to duo a 4 star raid for Absol. (which they list as easiest by far) Should I take this as truth? I'm 28 and my pokego partner is 27.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Valicious posted:

I'm looking at raid guides, and they are saying that you need to be minimum level 30 to duo a 4 star raid for Absol. (which they list as easiest by far) Should I take this as truth? I'm 28 and my pokego partner is 27.

We’ll, I’m level 38 and can do about 60% damage to it with carefully chosen teams. Did the raid with my girlfriend (lvl 37 but without very well optimised teams) and we beat it with 2 seconds left. So yeah, you may struggle.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Having a good team setup matters way more overall than level for solos/duos. Level only matters when it comes to powering up said team. You'll still want levels for that reason, but it alone won't carry you with a solo/duo.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Did you download the newest version and restart the app? I'm 5/8 on Mew and it gave me Celebi quest also.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
You have to complete the first three levels of Mew to unlock the new Quest

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The news article said you had to complete Mew step 3 for the Celebi quest to start. So they're close!

Edit: did not refresh before posting

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

This one isn't too bad. For the 2 Raids requirement, you don't have to *win* a raid. You can just enter the lobby and use your daily pass, and it gives you credit.

I'm glad Celebi isn't gated behind the harder stuff.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Just spun a stop called Darwin, and received an evolution item as a reward. Nice.

(it was an up-grade)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Valicious posted:

Your level doesn't matter, your team and their movesets do

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have a weird question. I was looking through my mons last night so I could cull some of the herd (I was at 298/300) and I noticed that I have 28 larvitar candy. Thing is...I've never actually encountered a larvitar and the one I have came from an egg. Where did all this candy come from?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

IcePhoenix posted:

I have a weird question. I was looking through my mons last night so I could cull some of the herd (I was at 298/300) and I noticed that I have 28 larvitar candy. Thing is...I've never actually encountered a larvitar and the one I have came from an egg. Where did all this candy come from?

When you hatch an egg you get a bunch of candy. 10kms give the most

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Yeah, and you might have hatched it during the bonus candy event. I got a Larvitar with 50 candy, and a Porygon with 56 during that event.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mastershakeman posted:

When you hatch an egg you get a bunch of candy. 10kms give the most

Ahhh, that would do it. Thanks!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Valicious posted:

I'd probably get one more person. I tried to solo it, got my rear end kicked. Then a dude showed up who was 34 (I'm 32) and we got him to about 1/4 health. I can't remember what Pokemon I used though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK, so I have to finish Mew 3. Thanks for that. I totally missed that part.

It's probably going to be awhile before I can finish that, because apparently, raids at the gym near my house happen at times when I'm asleep or at work, and the gym near work is too far away to reach from work (and also has weird raid times). Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Okay so I bet I'm the only one who has the Catch 3 Sunkern research yet doesn't get a Sun Stone as a reward. Instead I get Up-Grade (which I have 5 of) and Dragon Scale

• Locked thread