Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

JBP posted:

Cool ok I will sign into my work Twitter now and post a helicopter rides meme or some other dogwhistle poo poo then tell my boss to "relax" and that it was "just a joke".

The other closest thing i can think of is if like the total war account replied to somebody asking about a north African faction with 'we wuz kangs :p'

It's a line so stale that it only really serves as a signal that you oppose something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol. If thats it, jesus people calm down

quote:

Tonetta's transition fueled hormone rage and meltdown has been a real highlight in this thread.

hm i wonder if you might have a bias in this conversation

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Chalks posted:

It was literally the phrase "Are you assuming their gender?"

That's it? Seriously? People are so touchy these days.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

If it was just a dumb old joke noone would care, but it's not just a joke. It's become an anti trans rallying cry for a certain sort of person, and sure enough, as soon as it was posted they began to appear. Not sure how little attention you have to be paying these days to think "assume my gender" is just a joke. Whether you think it's important or not is frankly irrelevant, maybe listen to trans folks who say it's serious, worrying, and at worst dangerous.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Moral_Hazard posted:

That's it? Seriously? People are so touchy these days.

Yeah, and yeah. But also if it's you're a professional PR person you really should know better so I guess today somebody learned.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Perhaps you would also be touchy if people thought you didn't exist and you were in danger if you tried to say you do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a lovely joke and it was a bad look but also it doesn't really reflect a product that more than 200 people are working on, some who are probably very mad at this person now I should hope.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Well, at least they deleted it, hopefully, they will sack the stupid gently caress and apologize. That being said bloods already in the water and now it’s probably gonna be some big shitshow even after the dev team apologizes.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 21, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chalks posted:

Yeah, and yeah. But also if it's you're a professional PR person you really should know better so I guess today somebody learned.

That giving probably a bird intern keys to your brand is a bad idea of the first degree, but that every company does it?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Sure, I agree it sucks for everyone who didn't make the statement, but it was written on one of the official communications channels of the game and the company, so until something else is said it stands.

There are always more games, but trans people only get one life, so I wouldn't overlook those saying they won't buy it, unless something else happens.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's right for people to express the fact that they've taken offence at something, but it seems pretty unreasonable to boycott a company because an unknown person made a dumb joke and then deleted it as soon as they realised their mistake.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Some people itt ok with the statement that particular people either don't deserve to exist or simply do not exist despite those people in question posting itt.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

people can boycott poo poo for whatever reason they like

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JBP posted:

Some people itt ok with the statement that particular people either don't deserve to exist or simply do not exist despite those people in question posting itt.

It was impressive that they managed to post the whole of Mein Kampf as a single tweet.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Endorph posted:

hm i wonder if you might have a bias in this conversation

Two separate things and searching someone's posting is pretty creepy. Yeah, what they said was tone deaf and lame but I don't think it warrants outrage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chalks posted:

It's right for people to express the fact that they've taken offence at something, but it seems pretty unreasonable to boycott a company because an unknown person made a dumb joke and then deleted it as soon as they realised their mistake.
Why?

It's a consumer product. If something happens that causes you to lose faith or interest in that product, then you don't buy that product. CD Projekt Red isn't owed anyone's money, it's something people give to them in exchange for the thing they made. If their marketing leads someone to develop a distaste for that product, that's on them, not the people who didn't buy it.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Two separate things and searching someone's posting is pretty creepy. Yeah, what they said was tone deaf and lame but I don't think it warrants outrage.
Imagine if they'd said 'we don't think trans people are people,' because, to a lot of people, that's basically what they said. Because it's a lame dogwhistle-y joke way of saying that, when you boil it down. It's not a wish of harm on anyone and it's not an active slur but the sentiment is there. And maybe whatever intern tweeted that out didn't really think that hard about what the funny meme meant, but they still put it out there.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 21, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Davoren posted:

Sure, I agree it sucks for everyone who didn't make the statement, but it was written on one of the official communications channels of the game and the company, so until something else is said it stands.

There are always more games, but trans people only get one life, so I wouldn't overlook those saying they won't buy it, unless something else happens.

They will probably apologize pretty quick, gamescom is starting today and they want good press plus set things right. Some may very well boycott still and that’s there right if they want.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope this game isnt part of the loving culture war and cdpr do their vision 100% regardeless of social media idiots, thank you.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, please at least try to understand.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ashley_Nova_/status/1031803432330518528

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

steinrokkan posted:

It was impressive that they managed to post the whole of Mein Kampf as a single tweet.

you're a piece of poo poo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

i hope this game isnt part of the loving culture war and cdpr do their vision 100% regardeless of social media idiots, thank you.

It will be now regardless of what happens and while I agree, they should apologize, it was dumb meanishish joke.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Endorph posted:

Why?

It's a consumer product. If something happens that causes you to lose faith or interest in that product, then you don't buy that product. CD Projekt Red isn't owed anyone's money, it's something people give to them in exchange for the thing they made. If their marketing leads someone to develop a distaste for that product, that's on them, not the people who didn't buy it.

Imagine if they'd said 'we don't think trans people are people,' because, to a lot of people, that's basically what they said. Because it's a lame dogwhistle-y joke way of saying that, when you boil it down. It's not a wish of harm on anyone and it's not an active slur but the sentiment is there. And maybe whatever intern tweeted that out didn't really think that hard about what the funny meme meant, but they still put it out there.

I don't want to imagine something not said. They didn't say trans people are subhuman lmao it was a bad tacky joke that got deleted. You won the war.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DoctorGonzo posted:

Too late for that. Some one make a joke and now forever tainted by the extremely online people. Just like the Doom thread this thread is going to get real bad unless Video Games comes in to stop people from melting down.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

Personally, I hope it is part of the culture war, and that the entire game is erased and replaced with a seventeen hour analysis of the film Glen or Glenda by Ed Wood through the perspective of modern understandings of transsexuality.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope you have to pay $1 per minute to remove any "political content" from the game.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Endorph posted:

Why?

I'm not sure that the fact that you're able to do it has much to do with whether it seems reasonable to me. Obviously it's just my opinion as to whether it's a reasonable reaction to use your nuclear option immediately as soon as an intern unintentionally offends you and the company immediately retracts it.

I just feel that it leaves you with little room to do things like show appreciation to the company for taking action on your behalf by removing the offending statement, for example.

You're totally free to instantly jump to the most extreme course of action at any provocation, of course. That is a thing you can do.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

Personally, I hope it is part of the culture war, and that the entire game is erased and replaced with a seventeen hour analysis of the film Glen or Glenda by Ed Wood through the perspective of modern understandings of transsexuality.

Virtual Bela Lugosi or get the gently caress of this thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chalks posted:

I'm not sure that the fact that you're able to do it has much to do with whether it seems reasonable to me. Obviously it's just my opinion as to whether it's a reasonable reaction to use your nuclear option immediately as soon as an intern unintentionally offends you and the company immediately retracts it.

It leaves you with little room to do things like show appreciation to the company for taking action on your behalf by removing the offending statement, for example.

You're totally free to instantly jump to the most extreme course of action at any provocation, obviously. That is a thing you can do.
The nuclear option of 'not buying a video game'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JBP posted:

I hope you have to pay $1 per minute to remove any "political content" from the game.

That’s Ubisoft. Cdproject has never been afraid to tackle issues and poo poo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BexGu posted:

Too late for that. Some one make a joke and now forever tainted by the extremely online people. Just like the Doom thread this thread is going to get real bad unless Video Games comes in to stop people from melting down.

That's doom stuff was really in their marketing for the game, whsts going to happen in this thread is some news is going to come out of gamescom and then the thread will go quiet again when the week is over.

It's a more minor thing and I dont think some people talking about it being lame will lead to meltdowns

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

People try to frame this sort of thing as weirdos on the internet , oh I guess the internet decided this isn't funny, huh, what a mystery! This isn't culture war, or pc culture gone mad, or whatever else, just because it was written on twitter doesn't mean it isn't a real thing, people are getting lost to violence and it's buried under this bullshit nothing matters on the internet plz just think of the video games nonsense.

If something doesn't hurt you doesn't mean it's not hurtful, and if you think these strong reactions are disproportionate without even considering that maybe people know what they're fighting against or know what they're talking about then I think you may need to reexamine your prejudices.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chalks posted:

immediately retracts it.

Wasn’t it up for like 24 hours?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

Why?

It's absolutely reasonable to ask for an apology and acknowledgement of a lack of judgment, but apparently people seriously think a pr person was using a company account to willfully spread political signals - to the group the CD project team had previously actively and decisively denounced , i.e. gamergate and alt right? It's jarring to jump to such conclusions based on one message that is so incongruous with their history AND also a reference to what was a pretty popular albeit bad meme like a year ago.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 21, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
50 new posts and not one of them is about the game.

Fantastic.

E: make that 51!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That’s Ubisoft. Cdproject has never been afraid to tackle issues and poo poo.

Like they have come out outright to tell the game gaters to gently caress off, we are making this game as political as it needs to be, but now this thread is accusing them of making secret nods to the altright? The whiplash is baffling.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The "joke" is pretty old now and has become absorbed into what I guess counts as internet Lingo. It's somehow simultaneously a dogwhistle and an overplayed catchphrase.
This can be so many things like a lovely person in marketing, this being a slightly out of touch marketer not understanding the background, (tho I doubt this one) them trying to be corporate relatable and with-it in the worst way, not getting the issue and doubling down, whatever. We'll have to wait what CDPR says and for events to unfold for now. Even if you like the joke don't mock the people that are disappointed, they probably have their reasons and it will save you time of your own day as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dogstile posted:

50 new posts and not one of them is about the game.

Fantastic.

E: make that 51!

Gamescom hasn’t started yet. Apparently they might show stuff off.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im going to close this loving thread stop talking about this crap

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DoctorGonzo posted:

im going to close this loving thread stop talking about this crap

lol you big baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

People exist in the world and you can't separate these things, especially on twitter, from the times we live in.

Your "pretty popular meme" was always a transphobic attack, turning the other cheek and trying to tough it out has brought us to things like this:

https://imgur.com/a/6g9OSft

These are adults talking about a twelve year old girl. These are people trying to defend their lives, you can't look at these statements in a vacuum.