Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

American Horror Story is an anthology series created by Ryan Murphy. Each season is a self-contained storyline an entry in an increasingly scattershot and arbitrary canon, a pastiche of forms and genres found in western-style horror.

American Horror Story: Apocalypse is the first season to function as a direct sequel to a previous season. While cross-season references and characters have popped up here and there before, Apocalypse will directly continue the storylines of both season 1 and season 3. It's unclear how the show will handle the wildly divergent tones and quality levels of a slow-burning family drama and an enthusiastically trashy camp hodgepodge - not to mention the death of a major Coven character in season 5 and the relegation of almost the entire cast of season 1 to the astral plane - but if there's one show that could do it, or at least have the moxie to try, it's AHS. Helping in this endeavor will be former series anchor Jessica Lange, lured back by the chance to reprise the first of the many caustically Southern grand dames she gave us, and Kathy Bates, whose Netflix weed show sadly didn't work out, as well as the traditional lineup of series regulars and dark-haired young male eye candy. Also the promo videos are pretty loving metal.

Celebrities who have been roped into this (*for the first time):
Evan Peters
Sarah Paulson
Adina Porter
Billy Eichner
Leslie Grossman
Cheyenne Jackson
Billie Lourd
Frances Conroy
Emma Roberts
Jessica Lange
Kathy Bates
Taissa Farmiga
Gabourey Sidibe
Lily Rabe
Stevie Nicks
Joan Collins*
Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman*
Cody Fern*
Billy Porter*
Lesley Fera*

American Horror Story: Apocalypse will premiere on September 12. As usual, the title of the show has changed so be sure to remake your season passes.

Previous on American Horror Story:

Cult

Roanoke

Hotel

Freak Show

Coven

Asylum

Murderhouse

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

aw yiss

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've only ever watched Murderhouse and Asylum and I guess I got to fix that so I can watch this and have any clue :sweatdrop:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
The annual parade of OP Gifs is my favorite part of a new season.

Also the chance to get my hopes up higher than I should! I can't say I'm super thrilled about them going back to Coven/Murderhouse (especially since like everyone from Murderhouse is dead, so you know it'll turn into Coven Part II), but I'm intrigued by the promos.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Too bad they aren't getting Dylan McDermott back for more crysturbating and ghost cuckery.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1030137110005612544

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://twitter.com/MrRPMurphy/status/1031256087746342913

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For the record, there are 3 dead characters in that picture: Top right (burned at the stake), top middle (stabbed by ghost), bottom second from right (dissecting frogs in hell). Either there will be flashbacks, or they'll just be magicked back onto the show because why not.

Stevie Nicks also doesn't give me a lot of confidence as she was emblematic of most of Coven's problems.

Although:

https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1030861891474620418

https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1030907229950631936

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Feels like they always put most of the budget into these phenomenal teasers and not what's in the actual show

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

haveblue posted:

For the record, there are 3 dead characters in that picture: Top right (burned at the stake), top middle (stabbed by ghost), bottom second from right (dissecting frogs in hell). Either there will be flashbacks, or they'll just be magicked back onto the show because why not.

They've already confirmed all the girls are coming back, so I'm assuming via some ritual or maybe they were brought back in the interim.

Could be flashbacks too, but idk how the gently caress they'd tie them into the apocalypse setting.

Also there's 4 dead characters lmao let's not forget Madison letting her zombie bf choke her out even tho 2 seconds before we saw how ridiculously OP she is and that she can mind control

e: hell it wasn't even the first time madison died in that season

e2: actually it's 5 dead characters if you consider one of them died in hotel

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn’t remember if she came back from that or not tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

haveblue posted:

I didn’t remember if she came back from that or not tbh

p sure Madison died for good the second time, and Queenie is dead as heck and her ghost is probably trapped in the hotel lmao

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cursed image tbh

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How does this show still draw enough ratings for more seasons?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Because people like me keep watching even though some seasons are duds.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

With it being an anthology show it's probably super easy for people to keep coming back even if they didn't like the previous season, whether they finished it hoping it would improve or stopped halfway through.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

esperterra posted:

With it being an anthology show it's probably super easy for people to keep coming back even if they didn't like the previous season, whether they finished it hoping it would improve or stopped halfway through.

That’s how they get me every season, at least for a few episodes. I couldn’t make it through the first episode of Cult though.

Since it’s a Coven crossover, any hope Lance Reddick will come back as Papa Legba? That guy is a treat!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had no idea I missed a season I thought Roanoke was the most recent one lmao

But maaaaaan I loved Roanoke a LOT.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Cult was actually pretty good. In a lot of ways it reminded me of the early seasons, and I know this isn't really saying much when we're talking about AHS, but it probably had the most coherent plot since Asylum

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, Cult was great. The premiere was a bit too on the nose even compared to the rest of the very unsubtle season, but overall it's a fuckin blast.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cult's easily my fav season in a long time

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, go watch Cult!

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

precision posted:

I had no idea I missed a season I thought Roanoke was the most recent one lmao

But maaaaaan I loved Roanoke a LOT.

Watched it recently and loved it, too. Might be my favorite season

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Cult's easily my fav season in a long time

Same. I had pretty much given up on the show but Cult has given me some hope for future seasons.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Jessica Lange being back is all I needed to hear

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Soothing Vapors posted:

Jessica Lange being back is all I needed to hear

:same: but lily rabe

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Cult was great until it wasn't, but it was great for longer than most of the seasons.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't think Cult ever stopped being great, sure it had some misfires but no more than the other AHS seasons that are considered the best. It managed to stay coherent long enough to pull off a good midseason twist.

https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1031949195337494528

Enter to win a chance to have your soul eradicated by atomic children

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ya one of the big reasons I love Cult so much is how consistent it was for a season of AHS.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott are coming back.
https://www.thewrap.com/connie-britton-return-american-horror-story-apocalypse-dylan-mcdermott/

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope she eats another brain.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cult was great up until AHS remembered it's not allowed good endings past season one, then it was just ok.
Still the 2nd strongest season though.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Taissa's coming back. Twice.
https://ew.com/tv/2018/08/24/american-horror-story-apocalypse-taissa-farmiga-murder-house-coven/

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao excellent. So far I think Lange is the only one confirmed to be playing just her Murder House character.

God I hope Rabe gets to play Nora for a hot minute. She was so delightfully nuts.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:neckbeard:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Was there a thread for Feud? I literally just heard of that show and I'm interested.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tired Moritz posted:

Was there a thread for Feud? I literally just heard of that show and I'm interested.

I honestly can't remember lmao, I think there was a thread but it was very slow?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was probably a thread but season 2 of Feud was scrapped so there won't be another one anytime soon.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Mom and Dad
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm6GzzOBhKF/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

haveblue posted:

There was probably a thread but season 2 of Feud was scrapped so there won't be another one anytime soon.

It was? That's a drat shame, though tbh I'm not sure if they'd be able to handle Charles and Diana as well. But with Murphy off to Netflix and his plate extra full w/ all his FX shows and whatever he's developing there, I wonder if that had some to do with them scrapping it. Looks like they also just felt the material wasn't right yet, though they had cast Charles and Diana. ffs I want to know who they'd cast!!

Sounds like they still want to do another season of Feud once they settle on who to make it about.