Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

So, it turns out Neil Cicierega really likes Nick Knacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DoubleCakes posted:

Really good Twitter thread about performatively condescending YouTube critics:

https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031906752109920256?s=20

With these kind of creators, I think the audience has a bigger impact on criticism on the internet than the actual creators. The personality might be performative but the fans are completely sincere in their nitpicks and ridiculous anger.

You know this feels like a pretty lousy examination of a bunch of creators that are too wide to really pull out much that unifies them, especially Plinkett who, say what you will about RLM, it feels like it was a much serious attempts at film criticism compared to the likes of Yahtzee or something and came from a pretty sincere place, the 'emotional reaction' for the TNG movies or Star Wars prequels is obviously super deep for Mike and they don't just throw out those reviews as a weekly grind like Cinemasins might. Also concerning this tweet.

https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031921890586255360

Is this still a useful way of thinking of that particular style of criticism when people like Jenny Nicholson and The Cosmonaut Variety Hour have found big recent success with a lot of their appeal doing a similar 'This piece of media makes me feel mad and sad!' with a bit of disassociation between their video persona and reality?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 21, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

There must have been some sort of collected consciousness thing going on, because I was watching Cr1tical's videos the other day, and going through the uploads, I was a little taken back some of the guests that had been on there.

It also, unsurprisingly, came up on Twitter, which Cr1tikal responded to:

https://twitter.com/banditVEVO/status/1030617745942044673
https://twitter.com/MoistCr1TiKaL/status/1030931754746490880

Man, I’m really glad I stopped watching Cr1tikal’s videos months ago. I noticed the same pattern you did back in like late March of “Holy poo poo, this guy seems to be inviting a LOT of objectively horrible people on to his jokey hangout podcast, what’s up with that?” Glad to see he’s not at all contrite about it and doubling down on paling around with the alt-right—actually no, it’s sad to see someone who seemed actually apolitical get South Park’d into defending outright ghouls.

At this point, I think standard practice now to just assume that every big video game-adjacent YouTuber is an alt-right monster until they prove otherwise, and even then, verify with it at least three sources.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

DoubleCakes posted:

Really good Twitter thread about performatively condescending YouTube critics:

https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031906752109920256?s=20

With these kind of creators, I think the audience has a bigger impact on criticism on the internet than the actual creators. The personality might be performative but the fans are completely sincere in their nitpicks and ridiculous anger.

Maybe I'm kind of missing the broader point but why is he including Angry Joe in his list of Condescending White Guy Critics, he never struck me as being condescending at all and he's also obviously not a white guy.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

cool beans

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Is this still a useful way of thinking of that particular style of criticism when people like Jenny Nicholson and The Cosmonaut Variety Hour have found big recent success with a lot of their appeal doing a similar 'This piece of media makes me feel mad and sad!' with a bit of disassociation between their video persona and reality?

Thompsons posted:

Maybe I'm kind of missing the broader point but why is he including Angry Joe in his list of Condescending White Guy Critics, he never struck me as being condescending at all and he's also obviously not a white guy.

Twitter streams of consciousness are insufferable and so are the people who make them.

But who knows I’m sure we have our own white boy YouTube critics in this thread who can assure us that twitter is good and smart. What do I know.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

It just sounds like he's complaining about internet personas based around being performatively negative or nitpicky, which is a way more accurate way of describing it than "Condescending White Guy Brand."

Like to be fair I hate Cinemasins too but still

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thompsons posted:

It just sounds like he's complaining about internet personas based around being performatively negative or nitpicky, which is a way more accurate way of describing it than "Condescending White Guy Brand."

Like to be fair I hate Cinemasins too but still

he's not wrong that that kinda persona would be torn apart by many who love the ones listed if it was, say, a minority woman being as smug and nitpicky.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Which does make me wonder though, has there even been an angry black lady or whatever reviewing video games or superhero movies? Because I'd at least watch it once for the novelty of it but I really can't think of any off the top of my head. The closest I can maybe think of in that vein is Jenny Nicholson but everyone adores her.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

never trust some twitter shithead who posts 1000 tweets in a row

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Lindsay Ellis already gets poo poo for being confident by weirdos. Some of them have even tried to post in the RLM thread but are laughed out of the thread.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sexpig by night posted:

he's not wrong that that kinda persona would be torn apart by many who love the ones listed if it was, say, a minority woman being as smug and nitpicky.

Well, to use the examples I mentioned, Nicholson has marked out her patch to be the same kind of focus on nerdy stuff like Star Wars with a lot of nitpicking and general negativity, and often being slightly condescending to the audience for comedic effect. When I first saw her she really hit me as Mike Stoklasa's long lost illegitimate daughter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gf6qyAHOw

With The Cosmonaut Variety Hour, some of his takes are absolutely white hot coming from anybody:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THpqdEgbqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le5OOdLrU9s&t=1s

I can imagine they get lots of nasty poo poo thrown their way based on their gender and race for sure, I'm not sure if they've gone into detail about that. But the content is very similar to Innuedostudio's examples in lots of ways, I think the white man aspect of it has been increasingly left behind so I agree with Thompsons its more of a general performative internet persona problem.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 21, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CelticPredator posted:

Well yeah, im not gonna watch it because I can picture it and I highly doubt he’s going to change his mind... but the Ghostbusters one was really good and broke down why that movie was pretty bad.

Improv with a stake filled story is bad.

Yeah, they make the point that if it had a good director who was a moron and a good script with less improv and corporate whoring, it would have been good.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

i'm a person who believes that all politics is divorced from creating media and never like movies or video games or comics that have politics shoved into them.

also my fat naked body is melded to my computer chair

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

Well, to use the examples I mentioned, Nicholson has marked out her patch to be the same kind of focus on nerdy stuff like Star Wars with a lot of nitpicking and general negativity, and often being slightly condescending to the audience for comedic effect. When I first saw her she really hit me as Mike Stoklasa's long lost illegitimate daughter.

With The Cosmonaut Variety Hour, some of his takes are absolutely white hot coming from anybody:

I can imagine they get lots of nasty poo poo thrown their way based on their gender and race for sure, I'm not sure if they've gone into detail about that. But the content very similar to Innuedostudio's examples in lots of ways, I think the white man aspect of it has been increasingly left behind so I agree with Thompsons its more of a general performative internet persona problem.

I dunno man, Nicholson's thing is much more...fun than the others? Like she's on camera, chilling on her bed, her worst commentary tends to be 'uuuuh you SURE about that?' kinda stuff. It feels a lot more personable and from a positive place than 'George Lucas is literally too stupid to make movies any more' .

Cosmonaut...yea that's a fair counter, though maybe he gets some insulation from just firing a constant barrage of nuclear takes out so people are just numb to them

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno man, Nicholson's thing is much more...fun than the others? Like she's on camera, chilling on her bed, her worst commentary tends to be 'uuuuh you SURE about that?' kinda stuff. It feels a lot more personable and from a positive place than 'George Lucas is literally too stupid to make movies any more' .

ah, you've forgotten about/didn't watch the Escape from Tomorrowland video :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

ah, you've forgotten about/didn't watch the Escape from Tomorrowland video :v:

yea she does go off on stuff but it's stuff everyone agrees is garbage like 'what if Disney Land had WHORES and MURDER'

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is that the movie where a guy follows and films some 14 year old girls while on vacation with his wife and children and say that "in the context of the movie the girls lead him on"?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

sexpig by night posted:

Cosmonaut...yea that's a fair counter, though maybe he gets some insulation from just firing a constant barrage of nuclear takes out so people are just numb to them
He does have some really hot takes, but so far I get the impression they are just how he feels and not just trying to make ruckus for clicks.
(He is right about a lot of ESB)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

khwarezm posted:

I can imagine they get lots of nasty poo poo thrown their way based on their gender and race for sure, I'm not sure if they've gone into detail about that. But the content is very similar to Innuedostudio's examples in lots of ways, I think the white man aspect of it has been increasingly left behind so I agree with Thompsons its more of a general performative internet persona problem.

Jenny Nicholson gets my attention because her irony shield is so perfect. She might (might) be the first web 2.0 native to do this poo poo and gives off this slight hint of suppressed menace at all times, like she’d loving eat you alive and is just choosing to have a good time at any particular moment. Like, it’s hard to describe, but I really wouldn’t want to mess with her. I can’t really describe it, but it might peel off some of the chuds.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Is Jenny Nicholson's whole "mindless merch consumption" thing ironic? Does light criticism of Disney's properties matter if you've spend thousands of dollars on giant Porgs?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That Spiderman Cosmonaut video ends up being much less of a hot take than the title implies.

He still loves Spider-man 2 overall, honestly it seems like his main beef is with Toby Maguire, not Sam Raimi.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WampaLord posted:

That Spiderman Cosmonaut video ends up being much less of a hot take than the title implies.

He still loves Spider-man 2 overall, honestly it seems like his main beef is with Toby Maguire, not Sam Raimi.

He keeps on calling the movies corny like that's a bad thing! It's the best thing about them!

THE BEST THING

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

business hammocks posted:

Jenny Nicholson gets my attention because her irony shield is so perfect. She might (might) be the first web 2.0 native to do this poo poo and gives off this slight hint of suppressed menace at all times, like she’d loving eat you alive and is just choosing to have a good time at any particular moment. Like, it’s hard to describe, but I really wouldn’t want to mess with her. I can’t really describe it, but it might peel off some of the chuds.

Maybe if you send her this fanfic she'll read it in one of her videos.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

40-Degree Day posted:

Is Jenny Nicholson's whole "mindless merch consumption" thing ironic? Does light criticism of Disney's properties matter if you've spend thousands of dollars on giant Porgs?
I see it more as self aware consumerism than anything. "Okay so all this poo poo is hilariously flawed, but I still want the porg"

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

dude haha

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Oh also, according to her most recent Patreon video she actually worked in Disneyland for some time and talks about how she was so into it that other workers were burning out around her while she was still going strong.

She's really, unironically into the whole the Disney galaxy, so I find it pretty impressive that she can step back and note how loving weird it all is too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

I'm not really into Jenny or her videos but I cannot imagine being scared of her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm not really into Jenny or her videos but I cannot imagine being scared of her.

Never underestimate how much white manbabies are afraid of the dreaded XX chromosome.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thompsons posted:

I mean, you say that, but it helps to remember "white" is less a racial category that stands in opposition to "black" and more a catchall for any 'acceptable' group of people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure I get the condescending thing.

Like I’m only familiar with a couple of the examples but I wouldn’t call them condescending

That whole thread seems kind of dumb and a bit to smug for me. Like they just picked scary words from a hat.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 21, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

She was more savage to Max Landis’ face on that Star Wars hype show she did for ign(?) than any of the RLM guys have ever been when he wasn’t there (although not savage enough, obviously).

Max Landis’ total disappearance from reality has been a really underappreciated aspect of 2018. There are fewer remaining signs of him than there are of the third act of his dad’s segment for the Twilight Zone movie.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not sure I get the condescending thing.

Like I’m only familiar with a couple of the examples but I wouldn’t call them condescending

cinemasins has been more directly criticized for making lovely criticisms but stating them smugly so dumb people think they're right, see example cinemasins video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qLgL-E7uY
yahtzee coined the term "pc master race", probably said some other poo poo, it's been years since I watched him.
I do not think RLM deserves the criticism here, they're a bunch of moody drunk midwesterners and they're actually pretty positive with movies and negative on themselves all things considered.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

She was more savage to Max Landis’ face on that Star Wars hype show she did for ign(?) than any of the RLM guys have ever been when he wasn’t there (although not savage enough, obviously).

Max Landis’ total disappearance from reality has been a really underappreciated aspect of 2018. There are fewer remaining signs of him than there are of the third act of his dad’s segment for the Twilight Zone movie.

It makes going back and rewatching Chronicle hella hard between him and Josh Trank. It’s like “how did something this good come out of two utter monsters?” At this point I’m glad both their careers are toast and there will never be a Chronicle 2 or 3 because fuuuuck Max Landis and Josh Trank.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

That actually sounds really cool, I'd like to watch that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

yahtzee coined the term "pc master race", probably said some other poo poo, it's been years since I watched him.

That was one of those things that was initially clearly meant to be ironic, but got adopted sincerely later by idiots.

Found the video where he coins it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0dXtOVi2yo

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 21, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

cinemasins has been more directly criticized for making lovely criticisms but stating them smugly so dumb people think they're right, see example cinemasins video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qLgL-E7uY
I do not think RLM deserves the criticism here, they're a bunch of moody drunk midwesterners and they're actually pretty positive with movies and negative on themselves all things considered.

Yahtzee has never used that unironically though maybe he walked back in recent years I haven’t watched his stuff in a while.

Cinemasins I have never watched so I can’t speak to it.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, you say that, but it helps to remember "white" is less a racial category that stands in opposition to "black" and more a catchall for any 'acceptable' group of people.

You know that's bullshit, Joe's done videos about how he gets racially profiled and harrased by cops. To say that he somehow became white because his channel is popular is either disingenuous or just loving stupid.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

I mean it was just like what, two weeks ago that he made a video/tweet about how he missed his flight because he almost got detained at an airport or something for the crime of Existing While Latino?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, he and OtherJoe loving got detained in Customs ( he was flying back from Canada ) and thier white friend AJ got waved though and told if he waited for them he'd be detained too. So they missed thier flight.

The next day they also got detained in customs, but only for 15 minutes or something instead of hours and made thier flight.