Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It super sucks to be stuck in there, but it isn't unrecoverable. You just need to get really good at killing the mini-bosses. The game should really only allow you to activate the gauntlet only after you open the HL door, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

If you've got a lamp of time charge, you can use that to beat the crab by freezing him when his eye shoots up. The rest of the bosses in the way shouldn't be too bad with a bit of practice.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How do I recharge the lamp?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Scalding Coffee posted:

How do I recharge the lamp?

Xelpud or one of the sages should have told you in a message the first time you saw one of the recharge thingies. Look through your message backlog. (It's a kind of circular thing with a blue flame in it, it's marked on your map.)

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Alright, I think I only have two things left to find and the hints provided aren't enough:
La-Mulana 2 is one, and the other is the Nemean Fur.
Wait, is it in Spiral Hell?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

Alright, I think I only have two things left to find and the hints provided aren't enough:
La-Mulana 2 is one, and the other is the Nemean Fur.
Wait, is it in Spiral Hell?

Nemean Fur is in the Hall of Malice. Go to the room you fought the lovely wolf in, one of the walls in there is fake and you can walk through it. You should be able to figure that room out on your own from there, it is just some platforming. La-Mulana 2 is in the Underworld, you need a key fairy for it. It will suck for you to get to if you have cleared the 7 doors, but it is doable. It is in the Doom section. It is in the room to the left and above of where Anubis' challenge tablets were (the room you needed to push a pillar from below to cross), and you need to shock a wall in there. You can see a Mjolnr emblem in the top left of the room.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Another Person posted:

Nemean Fur is in the Hall of Malice. Go to the room you fought the lovely wolf in, one of the walls in there is fake and you can walk through it. You should be able to figure that room out on your own from there, it is just some platforming. La-Mulana 2 is in the Underworld, you need a key fairy for it. It will suck for you to get to if you have cleared the 7 doors, but it is doable. It is in the Doom section. It is in the room to the left and above of where Anubis' challenge tablets were (the room you needed to push a pillar from below to cross), and you need to shock a wall in there. You can see a Mjolnr emblem in the top left of the room.

Oh Jesus that's gonna be obnoxious.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
You don’t actually need the key fairy for the things she marks with a spinning key. She’s just telling you that something there ain’t right.

If she is needed she straight up does something.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah no Key Fairy needed for La Mulana 2, just charged Mjolnir. What sucks is that you might miss, even with a full charge, and have to go recharge it.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Echidna is probably the hardest boss in the game apart perhaps from the final boss. A few observations that might make things easier for you:

1. The cannons fire in a predictable, regular clockwise pattern.
2. The Angel Shield blocks all her projectiles except the orbs and the giant fuckoff laser.
3. When she winds up the giant fuckoff laser, the cannons point in the direction she's going to start firing.
4. Her arms block the damage she takes, but only when she's doing the arm sweep and guns pose, not when charging up the orbs. If you're doing the jump-axe strategy, attack the side of her opposite of whatever arm she's moving.
5. There is a somewhat safe spot against the wall on the left, about midlevel on the screen. Ducking with the shield out blocks most of the projectiles, but you still have to jump over the orbs. Decent place to wait out her pattern.
6. Flares work.

Oh, and get the item that reduces damage taken if you haven't. If you don't know what item that is, it's in (area) Hall of Malice, and you can get it right now. Do you have all the offensive upgrades?

Thanks. I do have that item and I've tried the software combinations to up weapon damage, although I only just got the Ring. The big problem for me is attrition, I just take too much damage from her abilities. Just need to get good I guess. I don't have the Flail Whip, I should go get that I guess. I had better luck with the Axe anyway.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

You don’t actually need the key fairy for the things she marks with a spinning key. She’s just telling you that something there ain’t right.

If she is needed she straight up does something.

Yeah I realised I mixed it up with the thing you do need a key fairy for, and then forgot to edit that bit out. You just need a charge mjolnir, the only bit which sucks is getting there because the zone becomes a non-linear path. The thing you need a key for does suck tho, just because the amount of poo poo in there.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

Yeah no Key Fairy needed for La Mulana 2, just charged Mjolnir. What sucks is that you might miss, even with a full charge, and have to go recharge it.

Thanks. I do have that item and I've tried the software combinations to up weapon damage, although I only just got the Ring. The big problem for me is attrition, I just take too much damage from her abilities. Just need to get good I guess. I don't have the Flail Whip, I should go get that I guess. I had better luck with the Axe anyway.

If you can get her down to second phase (which I did with the pistol, and ducking on the top left ledge) then:

Suspicious Dish posted:

found an exploit cheese strat for echidna because gently caress that boss, especially given that time stop apparently doesn't work on it because who knows

when she goes into her second phase, she glows white. if you hit her continuously while she's like that, she tries to go into it again. noticed that randomly while firing pistol shots, so i quickly tried switching to clay doll and spamming lasers and it worked.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Alright, I got another 'Is this a bug?' post here. Regarding a thing in a late-game area, referred to in earlier hints as the Underworld.

I figured a lot of things out, opened up a couple places, blah blah blah, and I THOUGHT I was at the end of this accursed place. Went through all the doors in the presumably correct order (spent a long-rear end time looking for a bird-esque door mark before finding the passage into Vidofnir's room in the Treetops), all kinds of stuff. I'm on the home stretch of the seven-doors puzzle, and I come up on the last door, but...it's shut and locked.

Now, it's been like this for a while, but I figured it'd unlock when I finished the rest of the doors, but no dice. I assumed that the door must have somehow already been passed through when I started the seven-doors run, so I left the area entirely and came back to start again. Still nothing. I went to a friend who's a couple days ahead of me, and after a description from me he says the same things worked for him, no locked door. Only things I can think of are A: The door was unlocked when I first found it, and I went through with the Lamp of Time active; could that have hosed the whole thing up forever? B: I haven't cleared the Hall of Malice yet. Do I maybe need to have cleared all other guardians first?

Sorry if this is obvious or simple, but after the bug last time, I'm wary.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

John Lee posted:

Alright, I got another 'Is this a bug?' post here.

Do you have the _____Bronze Mirror_____?

It also very well could be the Lamp of Time. That thing messes with map triggers something awful; it's softlocked me a few times by itself.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Do you have the _____Bronze Mirror_____?

It also very well could be the Lamp of Time. That thing messes with map triggers something awful; it's softlocked me a few times by itself.

I have the first thing, yeah. I don't know if you need it to open the door; all I know that it does for sure is mark doors that lead out of the ruins with two tiny blue lights, which was a big help.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

That feels like a bug, because if you’re seeing that gate, it *should* be open. The only reason it should be closed is if you’ve finished the puzzle, because its the seventh and last gate you need to enter.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

John Lee posted:

Alright, I got another 'Is this a bug?' post here. Regarding a thing in a late-game area, referred to in earlier hints as the Underworld.

I figured a lot of things out, opened up a couple places, blah blah blah, and I THOUGHT I was at the end of this accursed place. Went through all the doors in the presumably correct order (spent a long-rear end time looking for a bird-esque door mark before finding the passage into Vidofnir's room in the Treetops), all kinds of stuff. I'm on the home stretch of the seven-doors puzzle, and I come up on the last door, but...it's shut and locked.

Now, it's been like this for a while, but I figured it'd unlock when I finished the rest of the doors, but no dice. I assumed that the door must have somehow already been passed through when I started the seven-doors run, so I left the area entirely and came back to start again. Still nothing. I went to a friend who's a couple days ahead of me, and after a description from me he says the same things worked for him, no locked door. Only things I can think of are A: The door was unlocked when I first found it, and I went through with the Lamp of Time active; could that have hosed the whole thing up forever? B: I haven't cleared the Hall of Malice yet. Do I maybe need to have cleared all other guardians first?

Sorry if this is obvious or simple, but after the bug last time, I'm wary.

That gate only even appears when you've already done the puzzle correctly. So if you've already been through it once, you should be done. Can you not just go down past the scythe door and to the grail tablet below?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sockser posted:

So lets suppose I were to go into the Hall of Malice to try out my sweet new cog

And then on my way on back out, I decide to go save at the grail tablet

Now, this is all hypothetical, of course, because I am a smart man and I keep many incremental saves, but if I were, in fact, to do that, what would be the easiest way to pull a super run away and get the gently caress out of here

THIS CRAB CAN gently caress RIGHT OFF

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Karkinos has a particular attack pattern. It always moves if you're on the other side of the room. if you stay on the same side of the room as it after it moves, only then will it make a thrusting attack. The single claw thrusts are fairly easy to handle, but the jumping thrust has a very wide hitbox. even with the eye popping out to make hitting it easier after that move, the danger makes it a bad option in my eyes. So I found it best to keep it moving left and right across the room as i whittled it down with spears, caltrops, and bombs. This is one of those fights where it's fairly easy to avoid damage if you take things one step at a time, and the moment you get impatient and try to damage race it annihilates you.

as for the lasers, they come at a very rhythmic rate while karkinos is moving, so rather than try to dodge them after they're fired, move left and right on the platforms you jump to and the lasers will sail past with no extra trouble.

you can also try the cheese strat that other posters have mentioned, but that is the coward's path.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The fairy opened up a sigil to unlock that treasure chest in Japan, but the chest is sparkling. Is this another puzzle?

Found another death trap in Japan where I killed a skeleton several times before, but now got crushed. Wouldn't even know it existed if that treasure chest coughed up the item.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 22, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Sacrificial Toast posted:

That gate only even appears when you've already done the puzzle correctly. So if you've already been through it once, you should be done. Can you not just go down past the scythe door and to the grail tablet below?

I think it appears after you defeat Vidofnir, or maybe Hraesvelgr? It definitely showed up while I was exploring after defeating those two guys, whom I fought in close succession, and while I was not doing the puzzle at all. But in any case, I can't go down there, no. I'll try several potential avenues tomorrow, see what happens.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the deal with the gates in the Underworld dropping me off into the pool when I am sure it is the correct one?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

The fairy opened up a sigil to unlock that treasure chest in Japan, but the chest is sparkling. Is this another puzzle?

It's not supposed to be... the item in the chest isn't even a progression item, it's a minor combat upgrade. When I got it, the seal just opened it and that was that.

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is the deal with the gates in the Underworld dropping me off into the pool when I am sure it is the correct one?

The fake gates only sometimes lead where you want, and sometimes not - have patience and pay attention. Oh, and make sure you have the Bronze Mirror.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are the gates the exact same for every person? My friend took the gate that led to the best looking boss in the game and I got dunked on my first time. The same thing happened to another person and she waited a long time before entering the same gate. I cannot tell the purpose of the shield. The item by the tent in the ruins needing a long jump? Nothing is glowing.

I got the treasure item. Had to reset the game to make it appear. Buggy.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 22, 2018

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are the gates the exact same for every person? My friend took the gate that led to the best looking boss in the game and I got dunked on my first time. The same thing happened to another person and she waited a long time before entering the same gate. I cannot tell the purpose of the shield. The item by the tent in the ruins needing a long jump? Nothing is glowing.

Waiting for longer does not help you, but it is timing-related. Yes, that item. If nothing is glowing, have patience and pay attention to the gate.

Or, if you're tired of it and just want to know (spoiler for the fake gates): It's pure timing. The gate is on a cycle. The eyes on the dragons above the gate glow green when the gate leads you to the doppelganger, and don't when it dunks you into the lava. You need the Bronze Mirror for this to happen.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 22, 2018

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ending question: how do you save the Fairy Queen? I didn't realize that was possible.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Elman posted:

Ending question: how do you save the Fairy Queen? I didn't realize that was possible.

Do the most straight-forward thing you can imagine at the last possible time.

Spoiler: During the escape sequence, go to Annwfn and visit the Fairy King & Queen, making sure to talk to her. Then escape as usual.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you can get her down to second phase (which I did with the pistol, and ducking on the top left ledge) then:

Oh my god this actually worked for me, thank you. I didn't even know the suit could do that. Funnily enough, I actually got almost good enough to win and died getting unlucky after a few times when I didn't make it up there in time to try the cheese strategy, but I made it up in time the next time and decided to go for it rather than risk death again. Thanks!

EDIT: PSA: When getting the last whip upgrade, do not -- I repeat, do NOT -- accidentally whip the statue holding the seals

guppy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 22, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Lack of update on my recent situation: Nothing I tried could get that damned door to open. Not the Lamp of Time, and the instant-death traps below that area are still active. My save file miiight be hosed unless the next patch clears everything up. So, uh, be careful about using the Lamp of Time around that door, I guess?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm curious about situations you could softlock yourself into without explicit bugs. Can you lock off the Corridor of Blood without getting all the dissonance? If so you couls potentially put yourself in a situation where you have to kill all 11 HoM bosses and Echidna before you can leave.

Also is it possible to close it before obtaining the Power of Flame, screwing yourself out of the Underworld?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm curious about situations you could softlock yourself into without explicit bugs. Can you lock off the Corridor of Blood without getting all the dissonance? If so you couls potentially put yourself in a situation where you have to kill all 11 HoM bosses and Echidna before you can leave.

Also is it possible to close it before obtaining the Power of Flame, screwing yourself out of the Underworld?

Theres a crystal skull at the end of the underworld so you'd have to have solved the gate puzzle. There's also one behind Ladon, so at the very least you'd have to know how the hall of malice works and why you'd need to keep exits open.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

True on Ladon (that means you'd have to kill the bosses between the grailpoint and blood corridor before locking yourself in), but what's stopping you from getting the Underworld skull as soon as you enter from the Corridor?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Venuz Patrol posted:

Karkinos has a particular attack pattern. It always moves if you're on the other side of the room. if you stay on the same side of the room as it after it moves, only then will it make a thrusting attack. The single claw thrusts are fairly easy to handle, but the jumping thrust has a very wide hitbox. even with the eye popping out to make hitting it easier after that move, the danger makes it a bad option in my eyes. So I found it best to keep it moving left and right across the room as i whittled it down with spears, caltrops, and bombs. This is one of those fights where it's fairly easy to avoid damage if you take things one step at a time, and the moment you get impatient and try to damage race it annihilates you.

as for the lasers, they come at a very rhythmic rate while karkinos is moving, so rather than try to dodge them after they're fired, move left and right on the platforms you jump to and the lasers will sail past with no extra trouble.

you can also try the cheese strat that other posters have mentioned, but that is the coward's path.

I don’t have bombs yet, and my supply of Spears is around ~20
I spent a half hour farming up XP before saving so clearing Phaia will fill my health (which is good because gently caress Phaia, too)
That usually leave me with 70-odd caltrops

But it seems like I’m still gonna need to lean on whacking his eye with the katana
Ugh

E: for context, I think I was at it for like two or three hours last night

Sockser fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 22, 2018

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

John Lee posted:

Lack of update on my recent situation: Nothing I tried could get that damned door to open. Not the Lamp of Time, and the instant-death traps below that area are still active. My save file miiight be hosed unless the next patch clears everything up. So, uh, be careful about using the Lamp of Time around that door, I guess?

Just a couple things to make sure of before declaring the save file borked--

1. Gates do close off as you pass through them, but they usually reset when you leave the Underworld. You probably left at some point while testing it, but just making sure.

2. Spoiling the correct order of the gates to make sure you're not just doing it wrong, it should be: Enter from the Vidofnir's room in Icefire -> Grapple Claw door top right -> Lava pool door - > clay suit door behind lasers - > Door in grenade room beyond Garm - > Top right door where you have to push the pillar to make the jump - > door you're having trouble with

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Sockser: Got any app combos you can use to make things easier on yourself? I tend to forget about them after a while.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Just a couple things to make sure of before declaring the save file borked--

1. Gates do close off as you pass through them, but they usually reset when you leave the Underworld. You probably left at some point while testing it, but just making sure.

2. Spoiling the correct order of the gates to make sure you're not just doing it wrong, it should be: Enter from the Vidofnir's room in Icefire -> Grapple Claw door top right -> Lava pool door - > clay suit door behind lasers - > Door in grenade room beyond Garm - > Top right door where you have to push the pillar to make the jump - > door you're having trouble with

Yeah, I left before starting the sequence, and again after reaching the unfortunate end. And yeah, that's the order I went in; I figure I'll wait and see if the next patch fixes anything before giving up.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I've beaten the game, but there's still a few things I never quite figured out:

1. What's up with the big-rear end sword in Shrine of the Frost Giants?
2. There was a tablet that said (paraphrased), "Get the 7th child's figurine, and your Holy Grail will receive new visions". What's this referring to?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I've beaten the game, but there's still a few things I never quite figured out:

1. What's up with the big-rear end sword in Shrine of the Frost Giants?
2. There was a tablet that said (paraphrased), "Get the 7th child's figurine, and your Holy Grail will receive new visions". What's this referring to?

1. No one knows. It's just there.
2. It refers to the Totem Pole; it's described as a figurine in the inventory and it lets you record an additional teleport spot for the Grail.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm still scrolling through past black bars and I'm seeing something about softlocks and dead-man-walking situations? I don't even want to start playing yet if there are any of those that need patching.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still scrolling through past black bars and I'm seeing something about softlocks and dead-man-walking situations? I don't even want to start playing yet if there are any of those that need patching.

nah it’ll be fine

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If the softlock I'm imagining is actually possible I can't imagine anyone would fall into it accidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The only softlock that's remotely plausible during normal play I'm aware of (turning Heaven's Labyrinth and warping out without scanning the tablet, lowering the ladder, or activating Typhon) is easily avoided by making sure to scan every warp tablet the second you find it, which is pretty second nature after a while. The big ones were patched out.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 22, 2018